Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E22: The Proton Transmogrification

This may be my favorite BBT episode ever, and I've watched almost every one live and many in reruns. Maybe it's because I watch relatively little comedy and so don't need to laugh too much (or at all) if the show has other redeeming qualities.

I loved Bob Newhart in this episode. He's a lot like my elderly father. Both will no doubt not live very many more years. I thought it was very bold for everyone involved to do this plot given that reality. Both Bob Newhart and my over-90 father still love a good joke too, so I appreciate why he would do it.

Lots of other bits in the episode were great too: The first spherical cake rolling on the floor and Amy's reaction line. The resolution of the marriage proposal discussion. I suspect the cast and writers knew this could be Bob Newhart's last gig, and they wanted to do their best to honor a comedian who had inspired them growing up, just as Professor Proton inspired Sheldon and Leonard and others to be scientists.

• Love 7

I heart this episode.

I suspect the cast and writers knew this could be Bob Newhart's last gig, and they wanted to do their best to honor a comedian who had inspired them growing up, just as Professor Proton inspired Sheldon and Leonard and others to be scientists.

Ooh, good point!

• Love 1

Speaking as someone who's never seen Star Wars and has no desire to, this episode was tedious.

I did like Amy and Penny's scenes, though. Amy's mother didn't want her selling cookies on some street corner like a whore.

• Love 2

Awww, the hug Sheldon gave Leonards was SO.CUTE. He really, really meant it.

Like Mindwalker, I didn't know Newhart before TBBT and Professor Proton wasn't a character I loved, but I liked  him here, as Obi-Wan. 

The Death Star cake was awesome! And I loved the talk  about why Amy and Bernie ended up studying science. "Selling cookies on a street corner, like a whore" XDD

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved that Death Star cake! I wish someone would make one for me. Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. Bernadette and Amy are a great pairing. I was enjoying Leonard and Penny up to the proposal. I wanted to scream "stop stalling and let them get married!" Raj and Howard watching Star Wars in the sequence that they wanted was hilarious. Sheldon's story was well done and it was really sweet when he hugged Leonard.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Oh good, I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of Bob N.  I just found myself feeling sorry for him every time he stuttered and stuff.  I never watched him in much before, so I think that is his schtick, but I don't like watching people who seem to be uncomfortable or stumbling over their words. 

but that cake falling on the floor, oh did I laugh!

Gotta say, I loved the whole "Star Wars Day is May the Fourth (be with you)" thing. I thought they were just being clever, but a quick google search confirms that May 4th is indeed Star Wars Day, and was chosen for its punning value.

• Love 2

I was thinking my kids were about old enough to watch Star Wars.  Sunday looks like a great day to watch at least the first episode (i.e. Epi IV) (I still have my original VCR tapes too, where Han shot first! - and a VCR/DVD player).  I like Raj's idea on the order, although I will probably still show them Epi I for completeness.

• Love 1

I like Newhart but I have always felt the writing for professor proton was pretty weak with nothing that impressive. I liked the revelation by Sheldon about how the important men in his life die, one of the few moments of insight where his character elicits some empathy we have seen in the show.

I just dont think they ever did much with Professor proton and went for the easy, obvious jokes in the situations. I didn't dislike the episode, just underwhelmed.

Would love the Death Star Cake. And I have heard of May the 4th as Star Wars day, just in the last few years it has become more popular.

I loved Sheldon's hug scene, and I'm glad they're not rushing his growth too much. I thought it was cute that Leonard almost didn't turn down Penny's re-proposal in the car, he seems to really want to marry her, but knows it wasn't the right time. Although the proposal thing is a bit overdone, it's cute.

• Love 3