Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: It's Like Finding Waldo in a Bunch of Waldos

• Start Topic

The race goes to the Prairies, where the Second U-Turn board comes without a non-elimination. 

Classy sendoff for the elegant siblings, from the location of the Pit-Stop to the accompanying music ~

Wow....Saskatchewan seems really boring. Squeeze oranges, stare at bees...I wasn't a fan of this leg. And don't even get me started on that ridiculous Chunky soup commercial that took up the last part of the episode. I know that corporate sponsors are necessary but it just feels like the product placement is neverending on this show. This one was even more annoying than that stupid Mentos challenge. (I don't remember if that one was TAR Canada or TAR Original Recipe but it was annoying regardless.)

I'm sad to see the siblings go :(  And I hate that Korey and Ivana moved on. He seems ok but I just can't warm to her. Also: "What's an oar?" "What's a hangar?" How is this woman a teacher?

Every time the dating couple is on screen, I drive myself crazy trying to figure out who Non-Ginger Boyfriend reminds me of. Seth MacFarlane maybe?

I was amazed by how successful Karen and Bert's shortcut was -- it completely insulated them from the impact of the speed bump. They still would have been in trouble if it hadn't been for the U-turn sending Sam & Paul and Adam & Andrea back.

I do dislike it when everyone who chooses one detour finishes before everyone who chooses the other detour. The auction sounded harder than it was I guess and I don't know whether the race expected that the racers would have such a hard time finding the on switch to start the conveyor to move the canola.

I wasn't rooting for anyone to be eliminated but it seemed like Andrea was the only one who messed up at the very easy horse auction and Adam gave up at the soup can "sculpture" so I am okay with how that worked out. I basically like all the teams (although the Collingwood boys are terrifyingly loud they don't seem to be mean so I would feel bad about wishing them ill. And I was amused by their admission that it was hard to find women willing to bear their children, if a bit alarmed by the (I'm sure unintentional) phrasing that made it sound like they were a package deal).

• Love 1

After lasts week excellent thread, this was a let down. That horse detour was sketchy as hell. I did not see the other teams throwing all the number hand signals, was that something that was to be enforced or not? And shouldn't they have had a time limit so as to make them talk fast like an actual auctioneer? Whatever.  

I guess I would rather see Karen/Bert win as I admire their super supportive relationship, or Sam/Paul cuz they are excellent racers. I don't respond to "loud" personalities, so I can't root for the boys cuz I will need earplugs if the win :) and unless Corety/Ivana seriously pick up their game, I don't think they have earned it.  

• Love 2

I was sorry to see Adam & Andrea go, but every episode can't be a non-elimination or continuation leg. I'm not a big fan of the u-turns, so I would have been fine if Korey and Ivana had gone.   I was impressed that Karen & Bert found the shortcut route.  I like Kenneth and Ryan, but was glad when Sam & Paul won the leg despite being u-turned.  

I still can't stand Karen, there's a bit of playing up to the camera and general loudness to her that winds me up more than any racer for a while.  If only the surfers had arrived at the u-turn board second they might well have u-turned the team at the back with the speed bump to give themselves the best chance.  I'm fine with Korey and Ivana but it's a shame they u-turned the eliminated team because they were likeable.

Also did we actually see the last two teams in shot together at the bee task, I don't remember it, so the drama at the end was probably all made up.

The leg had some strange dull stuff, like juicing some orange at a school.  The toughest task was likely the cans one, though if done patiently I don't see why it would be much of a problem.  So while there were plenty of tasks on the leg I didn't think they looked that hard, which proves again to me that the hardness that people make out the Canadian version to have is overrated.

I wish that LCol Winturp did not wear that Snowbirds-specific uniform, particularly his jacket that read 'Commanding Officer' as LCol Winturp is no longer the CO of 431 Squadron, LCol French is.

5 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Jon did a great job in the auction :D

Before his great break at Vancouver 2010, I believe Montgomery was a used-car auctioneer in Calgary.

ALL of the sponsors. That was a weird leg. I don't think I've seen one (Can or US) where the order changed so many times with so few teams left in the race, or where the conventional U-Turn strategy to guarantee an elimination went out of the window because the Speed Bump'd team was up there and competitive. Props to Bert for finding the short-cut. Looking at the map, tasks were slightly spread out, but being in Flatskatchewan, the navigation choices were The Highway or the extremely straight but bumpy back roads.

The Detour was essentially a "follow the instructions" task vs. a "work it out for yourself" one, and in a U-turn scenario, I suppose the safe bet is the one where you're given the instructions. I'd have liked to have seen a team work out the conveyor switch earlier, to make it more of a race to the board, but it didn't play out that way.

And I'll say it: bee-dle in a beestack. That was the only task where you benefitted from luck; the others were ones that punished you if you didn't nail them.

13 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

^Maybe he was still the CO when they filmed the leg.

Indeed he was, but time caught up and the episode became outdated as soon as it aired. My point is, maybe LCol Wintrup could have worn a uniform that did not explicitly identify him as the CO of 431 Sqn.

Most people don't know who either of those guys are so I don't think it's a big deal. *shrug* And I doubt anybody is actually offended by the episode being filmed and then aired after there was a change in leadership.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, Rachel RSL said:

Wow....Saskatchewan seems really boring. Squeeze oranges, stare at bees...I wasn't a fan of this leg. And don't even get me started on that ridiculous Chunky soup commercial that took up the last part of the episode. I know that corporate sponsors are necessary but it just feels like the product placement is neverending on this show. This one was even more annoying than that stupid Mentos challenge. (I don't remember if that one was TAR Canada or TAR Original Recipe but it was annoying regardless.)

I'm sad to see the siblings go :(  And I hate that Korey and Ivana moved on. He seems ok but I just can't warm to her. Also: "What's an oar?" "What's a hangar?" How is this woman a teacher?

Every time the dating couple is on screen, I drive myself crazy trying to figure out who Non-Ginger Boyfriend reminds me of. Seth MacFarlane maybe?

They aren't my favorites either.

But did you hear his answer to the hangar question?  "It's where the planes...hang."  I loved that. 

On 29/08/2017 at 11:07 PM, Rachel RSL said:

I'm okay with the corporate placement stuff on this show, because Canadian TV tends to look cheap in general,  and the production values for TARC are excellent,  mainly because of the corporate money that they can bring in, so fair play to give those companies some free publicity in exchange.  

I had the same thoughts about Ivana. How can you be a teacher and not know what an oar or a hangar is? I'm glad you're not teaching my kids.

I also missed Korey's answer about the hangar.  That is hilarious. 

I liked the siblings,  sad to see them go.  Sam and Paul are on fire. U-turned and still get first place.  I like them, they seem like nice guys and are nice to each other.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:48 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was amazed by how successful Karen and Bert's shortcut was -- it completely insulated them from the impact of the speed bump. They still would have been in trouble if it hadn't been for the U-turn sending Sam & Paul and Adam & Andrea back.

Seriously. When does "I know a shortcut" ever end well? The fact that theirs did might have actually been the most shocking moment on this show ever.

I did get the sense that the detours didn't turn out quite the way they perhaps did when tried by the play testers. The descriptions definitely made it sound like the auction thing would be much harder, and that the canola thing would be physically demanding (shovelling 1000 lbs of anything is a lot) but not hard to figure out. But then the canola teams were delayed by trying to find a switch, and perhaps the auction judge was more lenient than expected.

Regardless of whether the tasks are harder, one thing I have found consistent on TARC so far vs. TAR is the waaaaaaay lower number of truly objectionable teams. I don't necessarily love all the teams, but I don't think I can think of any Canadian teams that I have actively loathed, while regular TAR usually has enough of them that the odds of the last few episodes consisting entirely of such teams are quite decent. I was a little sad to see Adam and Andrea go, but I would have been a little sad to see pretty much any of them go (although Sam and Paul have turned out to be my favourites, so their elimination would make me noticeably sadder).

• Love 1