Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Dome in the Media

It's nice to see them give away the fact that the dome is no longer opaque (at the end of last season it was solid bright white), as the Scooby Doo gang is walking down the street in bright sunlight (complete with shadows).

When I saw that woman screaming at the end, I thought "Oh no, Under the Dome is doing a crossover with Believe and somehow Bo snuck into the dome".

And she will help everyone stop from killing each other.

This article teases what's in store for Julia:

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/37580/20140507/under-the-dome-season-2-spoilers-julia-makes-an-enemy-out-of-big-jim-his-supporters-after-taking-leadership-video.htm

And, I don't know if this goes here, but Mike Vogel posted a pic on his instagram showing what's in store for Barbie in a coming episode: he gets a big booboo.

http://www.whosay.com/status/mikevogel/896886?wsref=tw&code=sOV8k1V

I've been following casting calls for upcoming episodes of the second season.  Some of them are pretty mundane (children, old people, military looking types) but this one sounds interesting:

http://www.projectcasting.com/casting-calls-and-auditions/cbs-under-the-dome-season-2-casting-call-for-kissing-couples-in-north-Carolina/

Apparently there's going to be a big smooching scene in a coming episode!  I actually look forward to seeing that.

I can just imagine it to be like this: "Episode 3: The townsfolk of Chester's Mill try to forget their recent troubles with a big kissing contest.  But trouble strikes when several people suddenly come down with mono!  Also, Barbie is vague about his past and Big Jim murders yet another person."

God, I should be a pitch person.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow!  Am I the only one hear?  Echo, echo, echo, echo...

Anyway, here's some more teaser stuff: http://www.thewrap.com/under-the-dome-season-2-get-ready-for-death-and-a-nicer-big-jim/

I'm calling it now: the dome is just Magneto screwing with people.  And boo!  No "mellow" Big Jim!

Also: http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/05/under-dome-season-2-casting-news-brett.html

Oooo, Barbie Daddy.

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)

No, I'm here although I don't know for how long. I guess I'm still holding out hope this show will improve and actually use some of the great material from the book. I have to say though, that the more I read about Season 2, the more I think that this show is a lost cause. Still, I'll be there for the first few episodes in case I'm wrong and the writers manage to turn this show into something other than the disastrous cliche-ridden mess it was in its first season.

Edited by Desperately Random
(edited)

Here's something interesting: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Under-Dome-Season2-Spoilers-1082031.aspx

Faith vs science, huh?  Rather dodgy topic, ain't it?  Seems a bit too lofty to me and I don't know if Under the Dome has the chops to pull it off.

On one hand, they might have the new character, Rebecca, come off as too dogmatic in finding a scientific explanation and perhaps outright flippant toward anything about religion.

On the other, and I have a feeling this has a stronger chance of happening, Julia might embrace her role as Monarch a bit too fervently, tipping the scale to religious zealotry and attempting to suppress scientific reasoning to the point of inciting mass hysteria.  And with all the crap going on with the framing Barbie storyline, it wouldn't take much to sway the minds of Chester's Mill's residents. 

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)

I should mention in the TV Guide issue out this week that it has a small article about Under the Dome in it's Summer Previews.  This article has a photo showing that

Barbie doesn't hang. It showed Barbie and Big Jim standing on the gallows: Barbie with the noose off of his neck and one handcuff undone and Big Jim with his arms crossed, looking pissed

Damn.  I'm actually feeling excited for this coming season.  Is something wrong with me?

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)
FAU, on 29 May 2014 - 8:17 PM, said:

That doesn't seem like a spoiler, it was very obvious and sucked as a cliffhanger.

I didn't want to chance getting into trouble.  Also, I was wrong, Barbie still has the noose around his neck.  Also, in the picture, I noticed how long rope was.  Looked like Barbie would hit the ground with the length that was given.  See what happens when you build a gallows in under twenty minutes with guys who don't know what they're doing?

Edited by bmoore4026

Also, I was wrong, Barbie still has the noose around his neck.  Also, in the picture, I noticed how long rope was.  Looked like Barbie would hit the ground with the length that was given.  See what happens when you build a gallows in under twenty minutes with guys who don't know what they're doing?

So under the dome, they've stumbled upon a new way to break a person's neck by hanging.

I didn't want to chance getting into trouble.  Also, I was wrong, Barbie still has the noose around his neck.  Also, in the picture, I noticed how long rope was.  Looked like Barbie would hit the ground with the length that was given.  See what happens when you build a gallows in under twenty minutes with guys who don't know what they're doing?

These braindead morons can't even build a noose properly.  XD.

(edited)
FAU, on 30 May 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

These braindead morons can't even build a noose properly.  XD.

Maybe Big Jim was hoping Barbie would end up like Black Jack Ketchum.  Go ahead.  Look up who Black Jack Ketchum was, and then you'll get what I mean.

Anyway, here's an article about Brett Cullen and his upcoming role on Under the Dome:

http://community.ew.com/2014/05/29/brett-cullen-under-the-dome-barbie-dad/

And Peter Weller is directing episodes eight and nine for season two.

http://wilmywoodnc.com/2014/05/29/the-wilmywood-daily-05292014-under-the-dome-max-steel-locations-for-the-day/

Edited by bmoore4026

There's going to be a recap special airing on the 23rd:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/06/under-dome-season-2-cbs-to-air-special.html

Rather than, you know, re-air the first season on the weekends or just debuting season 2 on the 23rd.  Apparently, CBS doesn't believe the viewers can just look up synopses on Wikipedia or something.

And here's the press release for episode one of season two:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/06/under-dome-episode-201-heads-will-roll.html

And because the episode has the same title as a certain song by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (and triggers an Ear Worm in me every time), here's a link to the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzfTPp4moA

Embrace the Ear Worm, people!  Embrace it!

(edited)

The recap will probably be 40% the pilot, and 40% the season finale, since very little of consequence happened in between.  

The recap is meant to build up some hype and grab some new viewers.  People wouldn't have the patience to rewatch the whole season.

Edited by Camera One

I'm looking forward to Under the Dome returning, but I hope Barbie has a big role.  I"m reading a bunch of stuff about Big Jim and Julia, but not a lot about Barbie.  I really felt it was anti-climactic that Julia was the Monarch.  Then she completely abandons Barbie to the gallows to run off and protect the "egg."  I don't know, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.  I see Big Jim and Julia sparring over a power struggle for the town, and I just don't find Julia all that intimidating.  Then again, if she has the power of the dome behind her, maybe that's all she needs.  Regardless, I'm hoping that Barbie has a major storyline and not just supporting for Julia and/or Big Jim.  I think Barbie and Big Jim are more interesting together or at least I really liked their scenes in the final episodes last year.  

(edited)

Thanks for the link... interesting interview.

I talked to [Dome writer-EP] Brian Vaughan after Dome got picked up for a second season. I said: ‘What’s going to happen?’ He said: ‘I have no f—ing idea.’ … [but] the arc of the second season is terrific.”

This instills confidence.

So let me get this straight... they had no idea the show would get picked up for a second season, and yet they had time-wasters like Maxine?  So did the timeline go:

1. First half of the season, written as if it was a one-off 13-ep.

2. Showrunners find out they are renewed for a second season.  Oops, already killed off two potential season villains.  Decide to kill time by introducing Maxine, fight club, etc.  

3. Throw in a cliffhanger for the season which will lead to who knows where, since they still have no plans.

But no worries, the arc of the second season will be "terrific".  

It still doesn't explain why they made characters which seemed intelligent in the first half of the season (Joe, Linda, Dodie) into blithering idiots in the second half.

Edited by Camera One

I talked to [Dome writer-EP] Brian Vaughan after Dome got picked up for a second season. I said: ‘What’s going to happen?’ He said: ‘I have no f—ing idea.’ … [but] the arc of the second season is terrific.”

Well that explains a lot.

• Love 1
(edited)

But no worries, the arc of the second season will be "terrific".

And then Brian K. Vaughan left.

No, really.  He wasn't involved with anything for this season.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/27/bryan-k-vaughan-on-that-saga-19-beginning-ending-and-leaving-under-the-dome/

And here's a tour of the high school, which will be integral this season:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/06/under-dome-season-2-featurette-tour-of.html

"Under Teen Dome".

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)

Vaughan still got to watch the first episode, so maybe he was involved in some of the pre-planning.

I'll spoiler-tag comments about that behind-the-scenes video, even though it didn't reveal much.

LOL at the high school "shop room". Now everyone is going to school like it's business as usual? Was it supposed to be summer vacation last season? With a public hanging before Labor Day?

Now does that "model" include the secret lake that Maxine's mother lived on? Because Chester Mills was certainly geographically diverse last season.

Edited by Camera One

And then Brian K. Vaughan left.

No, really.  He wasn't involved with anything for this season.

I can see why, no one knew wth they were doing.

And here's a tour of the high school, which will be integral this season:

http://www.spoilertv...te-tour-of.html

"Under Teen Dome".

So basically just some stupid teen drama for the mini domites.

(edited)

From the article:

When asked how he came to write the Season 2 premiere of "Under the Dome," the television adaptation of his 2009 sci-fi novel that returns to CBS on June 30, Stephen King is refreshingly candid..

"I knew that George R.R. Martin had written a few episodes of 'Game of Thrones,' and I was very jealous,"

This is what got him to write the season two premiere!?  Jealousy!?  Well, this is what you get, Mr. King, for not being involved more - Under the Dome being lackluster and Game of Thrones being the superior show, warts and all!  To paraphrase a favorite character from the latter show, "You know nothing, Stephen King!"

And then this:

King...is not especially territorial when it comes to his work.

"It's a no-lose situation," he says. "If it's good, I just say it was based on my work. If it's bad, I just say, 'Well, that wasn't my idea.'"

Another thing that irked me to no end!  Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining is considered to be a superior adaptation, but King hates it (mostly because of what Kubrick and Jack Nicholson did to Jack Torrance's character).  Contrariwise, the musical version of Carrie was torn to pieces by critics when it debuted in London and then on Broadway, and it failed to make money to boot.  Yet King is said to have liked it.

I just don't get it!

What am I missing?

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)
"It's a no-lose situation," he says. "If it's good, I just say it was based on my work. If it's bad, I just say, 'Well, that wasn't my idea.'"

So he doesn't care if people destroy the story and his characters?  Wow.

"In a fantasy series, you have a chance to tackle some of these hot-button issues, and people will accept it, because it's only make-believe."

LOL.  Yeah, like that hot-button issue of underground fight clubs.  

"I don't usually plot in advance, the book usually tells me what to do.

Looks like the showrunners took the same approach with this show.  

Hey, if you subsitute the word "Dome" for book in the second sentence, you can get one of Julia's lines this season.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

So he doesn't care if people destroy the story and his characters?  Wow.

LOL.  Yeah, like that hot-button issue of underground fight clubs.  

Looks like the showrunners took the same approach with this show.  

Hey, if you subsitute the word "Dome" for book in the second sentence, you can get one of Julia's lines this season.

It explains a lot, Revolution went through something similar.

As someone who swore off season 2, I was bored and watched the recap episode last night. The ad/teaser for the recap episode promised new scenes, and in one tv ad, there seemed to be behind-the-scenes footage that was going to be shown. That was why, even bored, I watched. That and Dead!Doodie in ads for S2.

Now, it may have been a difference in what new scenes means (to me and to TPTB), but I was hoping for cut scenes. I was also looking forward to seeing BTS footage; if there is a cognitive dissonance between filming and what is shown on our video delivery devices. *sigh*  I didn't have to have behind the scenes stuff, just maybe some different takes on stuff we all had questions about. Yet, at the 45 minute mark, I knew it was just a recap episode and got disappointed. 

Yeah, those recap episodes are always a disappointment.  They never show behind-the-scenes.  It doesn't help that the show sucked the first time around so watching the scenes a second time only makes it worse.

This article in Variety has me losing hope that UTD might actually improve this season. It seems we're in for the same disappointing story telling that were last year. (Very mild spoilers about what happens in the first episode.)

http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/tv-review-under-the-dome-season-two-1201242731/

Viewers, of course, can still enjoy the show — if only to admire Dean Norris’ hiss-inducing and campy performance as the town’s mayor, Big Jim – by adjusting their expectations. Mainly, that will apparently involve accepting that the producers are going to continue playing Lucy with the football for as long as possible — tantalizingly offering insight, only to pull it away.

It might work, but “Under the Dome” still qualifies as a disappointment — another Stephen King adaptation that started with considerable promise but, as packaged for TV, lacked the necessary cohesion to go the distance. And while the show can lose a fair number of viewers versus last season and still be a reasonable success, unless “the dome” can conjure some field that exerts a magnetic pull upon flesh and eyeballs, there’s a good chance many who made the series a hit will recognize that “Dome” is running in circles, and gradually begin to disappear.

Viewers, of course, can still enjoy the show — if only to admire Dean Norris’ hiss-inducing and campy performance as the town’s mayor, Big Jim – by adjusting their expectations. Mainly, that will apparently involve accepting that the producers are going to continue playing Lucy with the football for as long as possible — tantalizingly offering insight, only to pull it away.

It might work, but “Under the Dome” still qualifies as a disappointment — another Stephen King adaptation that started with considerable promise but, as packaged for TV, lacked the necessary cohesion to go the distance. And while the show can lose a fair number of viewers versus last season and still be a reasonable success, unless “the dome” can conjure some field that exerts a magnetic pull upon flesh and eyeballs, there’s a good chance many who made the series a hit will recognize that “Dome” is running in circles, and gradually begin to disappear.

How low can expectations go since it wasn't even high to begin with last season?

(edited)

Yeah, I'm not sure it's possible to have lower expectations.  At this point, all I hope for is that the show can go back to the quality of the beginning of the first season.  It wasn't a good show even then but at least I didn't hate all the characters and kind of cared what happened to them.  I'm not holding my breath since the writers already wrote themselves into a hole.  It's funny that article writer made it seem like it's a new thing that the series provides no answers and goes around in a circle.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

The review is disheartening, though not really unexpected.  I mean, what do expect when you promise so much but only deliver irritation.

Maybe Mike Vogel can guest star on Once Upon a Time if this show gets cancelled.  I have no fears for Dean Norris.

I wonder when (or if) the AV Club will post an early review?

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)

I see no lies, all they do is make stupid crap up on the fly and clearly S2 doesn't seem to have a plan, it's just more of the same bs.

Edited by FAU
(edited)

Interview with Britt Anderson, who plays Angie.  LOL at the following:

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/07/01/under-the-dome-season-2-premiere-angie-mcalister-dead/

Ironically, Britt first learned about her death from Natalie [Martinez, who plays Linda].

“I actually found out from the other person who dies, Natalie,” she tells TV Guide. “I got a message from her. I think it was, ‘Hey, we’re dying. Let’s get a drink!’ I had no idea what she was talking about…It was shocking, for sure. I didn’t think that I would go that early on in the season. But…it was a cool, exciting way to die…and knowing the Stephen King is writing the episode, it doesn’t really get any better than that.”

Here's another interview with the same actress:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/30/under-the-dome-spoiler-talks-her-surprise-exit/

Edited by Camera One

Maybe people are finally figuring out how stupid this show is -- it hit a series low last night according to TVbythenumbers.

From the article: "On CBS, Under The Dome scored a series low 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, down nineteen percent from a 2.1 for last week’s premiere."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/08/tv-ratings-monday-under-the-dome-falls-the-bachelorette-24-live-another-day-up-beauty-and-the-beast-steady-mistresses-down/280119/

• Love 1

Maybe people are finally figuring out how stupid this show is -- it hit a series low last night according to TVbythenumbers.

From the article: "On CBS, Under The Dome scored a series low 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, down nineteen percent from a 2.1 for last week’s premiere."

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/08/tv-ratings-monday-under-the-dome-falls-the-bachelorette-24-live-another-day-up-beauty-and-the-beast-steady-mistresses-down/280119/

Can't blame them, many people were expecting just a 1 and done season, they were already tuning out after that and the premiere was just stupid and left no good reason to keep watching.

• Love 1