Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Dome in the Media

WHAT? No Emmy nominations? I'm shocked; shocked, I tell ya!

The thing is, the show had an interesting concept that could have been good TV. Show the townspeople reacting to their new circumstance, dealing with what should be intense fear. Show people on the outside, panicking about loved ones; have them try to communicate with their Domie family and friends. Show the Domies slowly adapting, have them create some sort of government, which would be fodder for all kinds of conflict right there. Show them doing a census on the people, stating how many there are (that they know of - leave the door open for maybe one or two new Domies). Show them doing an inventory on supplies, dealing with shortages. Show religion and faith growing and waning (in different characters), have them deal eventually with agriculture/gardening, medical care, education and power struggles. Have some show despair because of hopelessness, and others reveling in their new normal. In other words, show ordinary people adapting to extraordinary circumstances. Am I an oddball because this is the type of show I'd rather watch?

• Love 1

Shermie, I don't know if you read Under The Dome but your post pretty much describes the events in the book. I thought the book was great and what made it so good was that the characters were so well written and layered that you cared about what happened to them, whether you wanted to see them survive the dome and for some of them, get their comeuppance for their actions after the dome dropped. How the citizens of Chester's Mill reacted to their situation made sense and you could understand (if not agree) with the choices they made.The ending was a disappointment (to me anyway) but the journey getting there was so enjoyable that I still consider UTD one of Stephen Kings better novels. I was so looking forward to this series when I originally thought it was going to be on HBO and a limited run because that was the right format for this kind of story. Our bad luck that CBS got it instead and is turning it into this joke of a TV show which is making less and less sense every week. This really could have been an interesting and smart series but unfortunately the wrong people were chosen to produce it and we got this dreck instead.

• Love 1

WHAT? No Emmy nominations? I'm shocked; shocked, I tell ya!

The thing is, the show had an interesting concept that could have been good TV. Show the townspeople reacting to their new circumstance, dealing with what should be intense fear. Show people on the outside, panicking about loved ones; have them try to communicate with their Domie family and friends. Show the Domies slowly adapting, have them create some sort of government, which would be fodder for all kinds of conflict right there. Show them doing a census on the people, stating how many there are (that they know of - leave the door open for maybe one or two new Domies). Show them doing an inventory on supplies, dealing with shortages. Show religion and faith growing and waning (in different characters), have them deal eventually with agriculture/gardening, medical care, education and power struggles. Have some show despair because of hopelessness, and others reveling in their new normal. In other words, show ordinary people adapting to extraordinary circumstances. Am I an oddball because this is the type of show I'd rather watch?

No, many people were excited at the premise of this series as Season 1's ratings showed, the writers completely squandered every bit of it.

• Love 2
(edited)

This week's TV Guide main article is about the show and contains some spoilers.  That's about it.

You weren't kidding about spoilers.  The part I thought was funny was this: "Chester's Mill is having one crazy summer — and things are about to get even wilder on the CBS sci-fi hit Under the Dome."  Only problem -- it's not summer in Dome time, it's fall.  It's been two weeks or so since the dome came down -- crops are maturing, Junior was going back to college in the Season 1 pilot -- so yeah, it's fall.  But no one talks about having a 'crazy fall'.

As for the spoilers, I moved those to the Spoiler thread

This part of that TV Guide article made me laugh hilariously -- "Whatever it is, Vogel is thrilled. "Neal and the writers have come up with a super-interesting way to broaden the show's world," he says, teasing that Dome is going to get even trippier."  Yeah, trippier, that's the way to describe this festival of shit that has only been getting stupider with each episode.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

You weren't kidding about spoilers.  The part I thought was funny was this: "Chester's Mill is having one crazy summer — and things are about to get even wilder on the CBS sci-fi hit Under the Dome."  Only problem -- it's not summer in Dome time, it's fall.  It's been two weeks or so since the dome came down -- crops are maturing, Junior was going back to college in the Season 1 pilot -- so yeah, it's fall.  But no one talks about having a 'crazy fall'.

As for the spoilers, I moved those to the Spoiler thread

This part of that TV Guide article made me laugh hilariously -- "Whatever it is, Vogel is thrilled. "Neal and the writers have come up with a super-interesting way to broaden the show's world," he says, teasing that Dome is going to get even trippier."  Yeah, trippier, that's the way to describe this festival of shit that has only been getting stupider with each episode.

It's hard to spin for this series.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/08/under-dome-episode-208-awakening.html

Barbie with glasses!  Yay!

I think I can piece somethings together.  Barbie is going to pretend to be the original guy with glasses, get close to the Dome where Julia is waiting, they meet briefly, but Barbie is caught by the army (which he is supposed to be working for) and is dragged away while Julia screams "Don't hurt him!"

God, this show can very predictable.

For anyone who thought or said that this show is like Twin Peaks, and by that I mean the creators have no plan and are just winging it, here is some more validation: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a591875/under-the-dome-showrunner-on-series-end-its-in-flux.html#~oNCBlFYdDsxHCI

From the comments section:

its one of the summer shows which has improved upon season 1 imho. i felt the need to stick by it as i've not read the book and its only a 13ep a season show and have found the twists intriguing, exciting and surprising. The quality of acting has also improved since season 1 so i would not mind a season 3 judging it solely on the 8 episodes i've watched of season 2 so far.

“Under the Dome" Ratings Sink to Another Series Low [9/2/14]

A bottom might have emerged in the show’s underground tunnel, but nothing is working to keep the show’s ratings out of the abyss.

Monday’s edition of “Under the Dome” sank to a series low 1.2 adults 18-49 rating with 6.29 million viewers. While the Labor Day holiday surely failed to help matters on this particular occasion, ratings disappointment has become par for the course when it comes to CBS’ sophomore drama.

Three episodes remain in the ongoing second season, which has been plagued by a significant cooling of buzz and interest. While only one first season episode garnered fewer than 10 million viewers, no second season installment has attracted more than 9.41 million viewers.

Edited by editorgrrl

Your mileage may vary dept:

Some comments from another board:

Charlene Talbot August 26, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Do continue this show. It is a lot like LOST was. Intelligent, suspenseful, exciting with a cast of perfect characters/actors.

. Carol Sulak August 26, 2014 at 2:15 am

Under the Dome has a mystery that compels you to find out if they all get out of the dome. Now that Barbie has gotten out and find his way back the series should be coming to a conclusion with everyone escaping.

. Debbie Chavez August 20, 2014 at 10:54 am

I LOVE THIS SERIES..I AM SO ADDICTED..I COULDNT HARDLY WAIT FOR THE NEW SERIES…EVERY WEEK IT HAS ME ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT…PLEASE DONT CANCEL..PEOPLE WHO GIVE BAD REVIEWS PROBABLY DONT WATCH IT CUZ IF THEY DID THEY WOULD LOVE IT !!!!!

• Love 1

I was just telling my brother last week that even though this show ended on a cliffhanger, I would be fine if I heard it was cancelled. Now that I know it's coming back, I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be back too and watching every episode. For some inexplicable reason I can't quit this show and am doomed to stick with it till the very end.

(edited)

San Diego Comic Con's description of the UtD panel this year (scheduled for Thursday, July 9th, at 12:00pm) - part of program titled "CBS TV Studios Comic-Con Lineup, including Extant, Limitless, Scorpion, Under The Dome, and Zoo"....

Under The Dome Exclusive Sneak Preview and Panel - It has been weeks since the dome descended upon Chester's Mill and we last saw Barbie and the residents being urged to follow Melanie "home." Season 3 will pick up where last season left off, and viewers will see the community rise to new heights of ingenuity, courage, and often darkness in their quest for freedom. There will be new faces, new alliances, and betrayal of trustm and what you "see" will not always be the truth as the residents find out that the enemy is within. Series stars Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) and Mike Vogel (Bates Motel) and special guest star Marg Helgenberger (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) join executive producers Neal Baer and Tim Schlattmann for an exclusive sneak peek of the new season, followed by a panel discussion.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/thursday

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Ratings: CBS’ ‘Under the Dome’ Down Sharply on Crowded Night for Dramas

JUNE 26, 2015 | 09:09AM PT   Rick Kissell

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/under-the-dome-ratings-down-sharply-1201529170/

The same-night ratings bar for summer series continues to lower, with CBS’ “Under the Dome” returning considerably softer than last year — yet was still the top-rated among the evening’s six dramas on the major networks.  ABC’s “Rookie Blue” also was much lower as it returned, while Fox’s “Boom!” didn’t make a lot of noise in its bow.

The sheer number of original dramas across the television landscape has mushroomed in just the two years since the premiere of “Under the Dome,” which was one of only two scripted Big Four programs on the June 2013 night it bowed — unlike last night when all four of the major networks were airing scripted originals. The NBA Draft also may have stolen away some night viewers from the original series on the broadcast networks last night.

According to preliminary national estimates from Nielsen, CBS won Thursday in key demos behind the second night of the two-night “Big Brother” season premiere (2.0 rating/8 share in adults 18-49, 6.4 million viewers overall), which was nearly on par with its Wednesday score, and the third-season premiere of “Under the Dome” (1.3/5 in 18-49, 6.2 million viewers overall), which won its two-hour timeslot in both demos and total viewers but hit a series low (excluding last year’s Labor Day special episode, which did a 1.2).

“Dome” was down a big 38% in 18-49 from last year’s premiere on a Monday (1.3 vs. 2.1) and about 19% lower than its same-night season average for last year (1.6). “Dome” was a breakout hit when it bowed two years ago, and averaged 11.2 million same-night viewers for its first season; that number fell to about 7.2 million last year.
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

In case you missed it - UtD won several awards in TV.com's Worst of 2014 Awards...

The Blowies 2014: TV.com's Worst Of The Year Awards (Users Edition) - WINNERS!!
By Grumpyclown  Jan 02, 2015
http://www.tv.com/topics/general-tv-discussion/community/post/the-blowies-2014-tvcoms-worst-of-the-year-awards-users-edition---winners-1420231116/

• Worst Drama: Under The Dome
  • Worst Sci-fi/fantasy: Under The Dome
  • Worst Actor: Nicholas Strong - Under the Dome
  • Worst Season: Under the Dome season 2
  • Worst Show Overall: Under The Dome
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
In case you missed it - UtD won several awards in TV.com's Worst of 2014 Awards...

The Blowies 2014: TV.com's Worst Of The Year Awards (Users Edition) - WINNERS!!
By Grumpyclown  Jan 02, 2015
http://www.tv.com/to...ers-1420231116/

Worst Drama: Under The Dome
Worst Sci-fi/fantasy: Under The Dome
Worst Actor: Nicholas Strong - Under the Dome
Worst Season: Under the Dome season 2
Worst Show Overall: Under The Dome

That's pretty impressive that the actor playing DJ Sheriff Phil won worst actor -- when there are so many to choose from on UtD.

• Love 3

That's pretty impressive that the actor playing DJ Sheriff Phil won worst actor -- when there are so many to choose from on UtD.

The way they completely tanked his character and did a complete 180 was mind boggling.

• Love 1
(edited)

You have to sit through an inadvertently funny Verizon bird advertisement first before getting to a short interview with EP Neal Baer (funny because see title of video and then watch bird ad ;) )...

Under The Dome - Inside The Mind of A Writer S3 [VIDEO]
http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video/Xvpa1hakl8QGYf8S_4uPv2zjI1yU0_y_/under-the-dome-inside-the-mind-of-a-writer/

-- Baer loves being the characters and figuring out how a character will react.

-- He likes love triangles. (eye roll from me)

-- He'd rather face Big Jim in a fight than face Barbie because Barbie was Special Ops.

-- He'd rather know the answers (know what to do but have no one listen to him) than be in charge of Chesters Mill (the big question this year).  "At some point, they're not going to pay attention to Big Jim... you just have to be patient." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

You have to sit through an inadvertently funny Verizon bird advertisement first before getting to a short interview with EP Neal Baer (funny because see title of video and then watch bird ad ;) )...

Under The Dome - Inside The Mind of A Writer S3 [VIDEO]

http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video/Xvpa1hakl8QGYf8S_4uPv2zjI1yU0_y_/under-the-dome-inside-the-mind-of-a-writer/

-- He'd rather face Big Jim in a fight than face Barbie because Barbie was Special Ops.

I'd pick Barbie in a heartbeat. Big Jim has no conscience. He'd strangle you in your sleep, shoot you in the back, hit you with his truck, whatever it takes to eliminate the threat. 

• Love 1
SDCC 2015: Under the Dome - Colin Ford, Marg Helgenberger & Mike Vogel

Interview 7-9-15 at SDCC with Colin Ford, Marg Helgenberger & Mike Vogel about Under the Dome.

That video really could have used captions because the background noise is so overwhelming.

I did like that Mike Vogel said that he wished Season 3 had followed up Season 1 because it's more science-fictiony -- which basically is him saying that Season 2 was a complete and utter waste of time.  But Season 3 is more bat-shit crazy than science-fictiony.  We're 4 episodes into Season 3 -- and the Dome hasn't done anything yet.

As for Vogel saying that we, the audience, will get all the answers about the Dome by the end of Season 3 (and some new questions), I wouldn't count on it -- especially if they get renewed for Season 4.