Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: R3B0OT

When Jordan (Jill Flint) realizes the hospital is under cyber-attack, she leads the team in managing patient care as chaos ensues. Drew (Brendan Fehr) and Kenny (JR Lemon) treat a critical patient forcing Drew to call on his medical and military training. TC (Eoin Macken) joins Rick (guest star Luke Macfarlane) and his partner (guest star Michael Lehr) on a SWAT drug raid. Meanwhile, he wrestles with whether or not he should return to Syria to tie up loose ends. 

Another tired cliche of having a patient and a doctor or two trapped in an elevator during a power outage.  If it happened in real life as often as it happens on TV medical shows, every hospital elevator would have a little built in cabinet with essential treatment tools/battery-powered devices 'just in case'.

I thought that having Drew just announce to his husband (I forget his name) that he would be going off to Ranger school was harsh.  If your family is involved, you discuss it before any decisions are made.   Why would he have done it that way?  (I haven't seen all episodes, only the ones beginning with the appearance of their adopted daughter, so there may be more background than I know about.)  

• Love 4

What the heck was wrong with Paul? You get to spend 5 minutes thinking, "Yikes, my friend / roommate is doin' the do with my sister", and then you put on your big boy pants and get on with your day. Instead he spent the day pouting and carrying on like a 10 year old who just caught his mother kissing his history teacher.

• Love 1

I'm a health policy analyst, and every time I see the money financial troubles on this show, I can't help mentally screaming, "This is what happens when you don't accept Medicaid Expansion!"

*Ahem*

Sorry about that. Remember, kids. Don't pick up strange USB drives or download suspicious software!

• Love 6

TVForever, to Paul's defense, it was revealed that he predicted his sister would hurt Kenny and Paul was obsessed with trying to prevent that.

On another subject, I appreciate that this forum is generally positive, but I must say this:  Scott Wolf's performances as Scott Clemmens are the worst I've seen on TV since William Frawley in i Love Lucy.  He expresses everything with either bug eyes or a grimace.  He never connects with his dialogue and his scenes stop time. 

Edited by Height-Nonchalance
Better word
  • Love 1

Eh, Kenny is a hound anyway so whatever Paul's sister might have in store for Kenny, I'd say he has it coming.  He should know that boinking your friend's sister might not be such a good idea and I'd put it in the "you don't shit where you eat" category.     

• Love 1

I'm only halfway through this mess and I'm already annoyed by so much!  First, this hacker plot line was just on Chicago Med a few months ago.  Second, was the entire hospital hacked?  I would think the ICU, etc would need some help too, but as usual, nothing is ever mentioned about the other departments. Third, I didn't realize Paul's dad ran the ENTIRE hospital.  I thought he was just in charge of the OR. Also, didn't Paul's sister just start last week as a surgeon or something?  Why is she barking orders to the ER dept when Paul's dad is not around?  Fourth, the IT guy blamed a nurse for downloading candy crush from a shady website onto a hospital computer?  Come on!  Had to be a nurse?  Couldn't be someone in administration or a cafeteria worker or the cashier in the gift shop?  Fifth, TC! I fast forwarded all the scenes involving him.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, LittleIggy said:

Why was the National Guard doing a raid police should be doing?

Isn't Rick a police officer on the SWAT team?  But the real question is in what world would they let a civilian go along. 

I have no idea what that raid was at the start of the episode and that's a big problem.  It didn't makes sense, other than to have Rick praise TC and Drew feel bad so he decided to go for Ranger training.  WTH?

Why didn't Drew tell Rick he had applied to Ranger school? Isn't that the sort of thing you talk to a spouse about, especially since he'll be gone for 36 months?  And what is going to happen to his medical career?  You don't just take 36 months off in the middle of your residency, especially if you're the chief resident.  Terrible idea for a plot twist.

All in all, a pretty unimpressive episode. The only part I liked was Shannon talking to the patient who didn't want her at first.  Worst part was how bad a boss Jordan is with her evaluations and not working with her doctors to help them get better.

4 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I'm only halfway through this mess and I'm already annoyed by so much!  First, this hacker plot line was just on Chicago Med a few months ago.  Second, was the entire hospital hacked?  I would think the ICU, etc would need some help too, but as usual, nothing is ever mentioned about the other departments. Third, I didn't realize Paul's dad ran the ENTIRE hospital.  I thought he was just in charge of the OR. Also, didn't Paul's sister just start last week as a surgeon or something?  Why is she barking orders to the ER dept when Paul's dad is not around?  Fourth, the IT guy blamed a nurse for downloading candy crush from a shady website onto a hospital computer?  Come on!  Had to be a nurse?  Couldn't be someone in administration or a cafeteria worker or the cashier in the gift shop?  Fifth, TC! I fast forwarded all the scenes involving him.

The entire hospital was hacked. And so were another four hospitals belonging to the group of hospitals that Paul's father's company owned.  Each hospital had to pay $10 million, making a total of $50 million that the group paid the hacker.

As I understood it, Paul's sister was left in charge while Scott and Paul's father were attending some sort of special meeting.

Yeah, it would have been nice if it weren't a nurse who had downloaded the virus but someone in administration.  Wouldn't have been a cafeteria worker because they don't have the access to those computers.

Edited by statsgirl
30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why didn't Drew tell Rick he had applied to Ranger school? Isn't that the sort of thing you talk to a spouse about, especially since he'll be gone for 36 months?

Especially after you have just adopted a special-needs child, and dumped your mother on your spouse.

• Love 3
On 8/19/2017 at 6:57 PM, Height-Nonchalance said:

TVForever, to Paul's defense, it was revealed that he predicted his sister would hurt Kenny and Paul was obsessed with trying to prevent that.

I caught that at the end too, and it seemed so weird, because he spent the whole episode giving KENNY the stinky attitude. I would have bought his explanation for his behavior a bit more if we had seen him chewing out his sister. 

But I'm wondering if we'll get some backstory on Bella's romantic past, since that "revelation " came right at the end. Or it may never come up again, the way this show works.

Finally got around to this episode.  I was a bit distracted at first, so how did Shannon find out about Jordan's evaluation?  Did the hackers leak it or something? I was kind of confused about all of that.  Either way, an excuse to have their friendship go through a rough patch now.

Paul was being an immature kid about Kenny and Bella, although it sounds like he's actually concern for Kenny, so maybe Bella has a rough history with boys? 

So, thanks to the hackers, Julian is now in debt and the hospital(s) are in trouble, again?  Sheesh, nothing on this show is on sold ground for long.

Really can't believe Drew didn't even discuss Ranger School with Rick.  This isn't a weekend trip your talking about, dude.

Jordan's grand pitch to keep T.C. (and I guess Drew) around is to now make the hospital a training facility as well for medics and first responders.  And then, naturally, that woman from Syria whose name I can't remember calls and is now all "I dumped my husband, T.C.!  Lets bang!", and good old T.C. is conflicted.  Ah, The Night Shift!

• Love 2
On 8/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, TVForever said:

I caught that at the end too, and it seemed so weird, because he spent the whole episode giving KENNY the stinky attitude. I would have bought his explanation for his behavior a bit more if we had seen him chewing out his sister. 

I think that Paul is kind of cowed by all his family members, and wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Kenny's his friend, so he feels OK getting on him. Granted he couldn't have just told him his concerns without acting like a three year old, but that's been consistent with Paul's character, so whatever.

Anyone else get the feeling that Papa Cummings isn't long for this world? I mean, maybe he was just under the weather and stressed out by the money, but I feel a massive heart attack coming. And on the topic of the Cummings family, wasn't there supposed to be another older son, or am I making that up? I thought Paul had mentioned all the doctors in his family in a previous season and it was more than just his dad and the sister, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, it looked like just the two kids in pictures on the father's desk.

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Finally got around to this episode.  I was a bit distracted at first, so how did Shannon find out about Jordan's evaluation?  Did the hackers leak it or something?

The hackers leaked it to the whole hospital.

The show might want to keep TC around but Jordan's pitch about the combat training hub was to keep the hospital from being sold now that it's even more in debt after the ransom was paid.