Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Nest Box

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

I kind of saw the Eugenia accident coming.  Lost did the bus slam best.  It was totally out of the blue, for me.  

I didn't understand the Charlotte swimming bit.  Was she literally struggling and ran out of energy?  I would think an experienced, competitive swimmer would know to relax and float on her back for a while.  But then the weird ending.  A recap made it sound like she was flirting with suicide, for the escape opportunity or the thrill.  

I would never let my teen swim alone in a lake at night.  I understand they don't want to smother her further, but take that Sea Ray and monitor her from a safe distance.  Get her a waterproof light for that dry suit.  Every time she goes out there I think a boater is going to come by and nearly kill her with a prop.  

I'm loving this show but one more nit... real estate usually doesn't work like that.  I've never known an agent to do staging to that extent.  If it's vacant you sell it vacant.  If occupied you're stuck with the owner's stuff, for the most part.  

On 8/1/2017 at 6:57 PM, DEM said:

Huh, I'd never had the impression that Wendy knew about the money laundering all along.

I think that isn't revealed until the next episode, not that it's much of a spoiler.  

I was surprised, too.  It makes me dislike them a bit.  I can see doing it if you're only endangering yourselves but they basically put their kids in danger for money. Haven't they seen Breaking Bad?  Ha.  

Plus I know talented Chicago money managers and their incomes are not constraining.  You'd think Marty was a plumber or something.  I like the show enough to not be bothered by my minor nits, though.

It was telegraphed VERY heavily that the horrible mother was going to get killed suddenly,  so as soon as I saw her with the bin,  I knew it was coming.  C'mon,  Show.  Some of us have been watching TV a looonnnng time.  

• Love 14

I'm binging and up to this episode now, and the biggest nit (literally!) for me for the whole series is how they hang out outside at night when they would be swarmed by mosquitoes! 

Other than that I'm enjoying the show. Although does anyone know how the woman's death affects the money Marty took? 

• Love 10

I'm assuming it's now the son's money, so that Marty can conveniently manipulate him to not cash out easier than he would've the mother.  

Aren't they filming in GA?  I would think the mosquitos would be even worse there.  

On 8/1/2017 at 7:57 PM, DEM said:

Huh, I'd never had the impression that Wendy knew about the money laundering all along.

No she did. In the 1st or 2nd episode  Marty tells the cartel boss that Wendy has no idea but then the cartel boss discovers that that's a lie. 

• Love 6

I forgot if it's this one or the one before, but I rolled my eyes that Wendy was able to figure out Marty's password in like 90 seconds. 

I get that the daughter is depressed, and I can't say she's really acting out that bad. But, Wendy, come on. Tell her to go to school, get good grades, and then go wherever you want to college. Do some parenting Wendy. 

I'm not feeling that the Snells are as super criminals as they think they are. They seem to bank on that "oldest family here" a lot. I'd like to see Marty be able to put one over on them. 

On 8/6/2017 at 7:38 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

A recap made it sound like she was flirting with suicide, for the escape opportunity or the thrill.  

I didn't see that at all. I think she got disoriented because when she was looking around the background was blurry so she couldn't see where the house was. Then she sank down which seemed to calm herself, and when she resurfaced she was fine. I think she just wanted to exert herself to work out the anxiety. 

"Woman can't even commit to one name" really killed me. It was the line reading.

• Love 8

It's interesting to see Laura Linney play such an unlikable character here, usually she plays good characters. But she makes her cheating seem like her husband's fault, and has never actually thanked Marty for making sure she was not thrown over the balcony along with her lover. She's awful. I hope he dumps her and ends up with the nice Blue Cat lady.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I don't think the Blue Cat Lady is so happy with Marty right now. 

I'd like to know if cleaning the money was Marty's idea, whether he just went along with it, or was forced to. It's not like he was living a lavish lifestyle or even wanted one. 

I agree though that splitting up wouldn't be a good idea. 

• Love 1

Am I supposed to like the FBI agent?  Because I sure don't.  Besides finding his tactics despicable how are his investigation "techniques" ever going to lead to a case holding up in court?

Those Snells are way too powerful to be believable.  Now, if the actors had any charisma maybe I would enjoy watching them, but since they don't they are the worst part of the show to me.

• Love 12

Those Snells are way too powerful to be believable.  Now, if the actors had any charisma maybe I would enjoy watching them, but since they don't they are the worst part of the show to me.

I agree with you here. I know they have some thugs working for them and all but it is not as if a lot of people there (lowlifes, thugs, and boatchruch drug dealers) couldn't plot and take them down.

When his wife started with the "Let's all have some lemonade!" line I rolled my eyes. Lady that trick can't work more than a couple of times to be honest.

Edited by sjankis630
  • Love 4

One thing this series does really well--and that you might not realize unless you have been in a long marriage--is to show realistic interactions between a husband and wife, especially fights and the tense aftermath. My husband and I are generally happy in our marriage and neither of us has ever cheated, but aside from that element (and, of course, the element of having to come up with millions to prevent criminals from killing them!) the arguments between Marty and Wendy ring so true that they make me uncomfortable to watch. Even when they are not arguing, the everyday conversations about their daily lives, the children, and work feel real. Part of it is due to the writing and direction and part of it is due to the actors, but when watching I feel like they are real people who have been married for a long time. 

• Love 8

Ugh, poor Mason -- but especially Grace, since Mason was dumb enough to go confront the Snells.  Oh that was stupid. 

I feel really badly for Charlotte.  I'd say she can wait it out for another three years and then move away after she hits 18 ... but would she really be safe even then?  I mean, Marty has locked himself and his family into this mess with Del forever, right?  It's not like Marty ever gets to retire from laundering money for a drug cartel, if the drug cartel doesn't want to let him go.  And they will always use his family to threaten and keep him in line.  

I was also shocked they let their already distraught teenage daughter go for a night swim, without one of them at least watching from the dock.  They're bad parents for so many reasons, but this was just another bad judgment moment for them.