Type keyword(s) to search

Family Guy - General Discussion

ari333
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I wish there had been dolphins in a tank when James Woods opened the door to the writers' room.

Manatees. But yeah, I didn't even think about that. They kind of acknowledged that by revealing that the one camera guy directs all the cutaways.

It was an ok episode for me. What I really loved was Stewie calling in and wanting a Master Chef shirt and in the line reading he was wearing a Master Chef shirt. Brian still manages to be a pretentious douche, I rolled my eyes so hard at him deflecting on answering where he heard the quote from. 

They did this already with The Cleveland Show, but I enjoyed this ep.

Simpsons did it too a la Behind the Music.

I liked this episode - it was a nice break from the usual shenanigans and it was good seeing some random rare characters again. And the twist that this happens every week was funny.

I like little bits that are never addressed, like Stewie apparently asphyxiating Rupert.

All the Uber jokes were accurate, even if both Simpsons and South Park beat them to it years ago. 

Of course Meg and Brian weren't impressed with meeting Taylor Swift, and of course Taylor threw Chris under the bus.

Why is CHRIS the only character I have sympathy for these days?

The Internet Jail bit was great. Of course, South Park beat them to that, too.

The whole quick bit with Peter as a Late Night host was better than the episode that preceded it. So much wasted potential.

When a main character tells you to watch HBO, you know that they've given up. Although Westworld is on now, they were obviously planning on airing this during GoT's season. And Stewie could've easily said Walking Dead.

Hey, mildly teasing customers the day before Thanksgiving is the only thing we supermarket people have left.

The writers have some kind of weird fascination with making fun of John Goodman.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And Stewie could've easily said Walking Dead.

Even he knows it sucks.

As much as we all agree that Brian is a jerk, he was actually right about vaccines. Aside: some idiot without vaccinations was on the BART who spread measles. I was on the same train. I'm vaccinated, but still. 

Upside down train and Sean Penn has to be the most random joke on the show. 

• Love 1

People online are upset about the Heath Ledger OD'ing joke but American Dad did one two years after Ledger died. Roger accidentally drank tea with rat poison and was convulsing on the floor, drooling and Stan(trying to deflect that he planted the poison) tells Francine "Ugh, he's just doing his Heath Ledger impression! (shakes head) Too soon Roger, too soon!"

Kind of illustrates the difference between the two shows. Both jokes are in poor taste but FG's was just a recreation of a scene with a cheap shot added for shock value at the end. It was mean, not funny. AD's joke is actually funny because it's making a joke about how it's too soon to makes such a tasteless joke.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 11/13/2016 at 9:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

When a main character tells you to watch HBO, you know that they've given up. Although Westworld is on now, they were obviously planning on airing this during GoT's season. And Stewie could've easily said Walking Dead.

They gave up some time ago, trashing the characters and abandoning plots and basically turning the show into a bunch of unlikable jerks telling random jokes of varying quality and being self-referential instead of funny. They seem to actually care a little bit more recently actually since we're back to having real plots (neither timely or timeless, but at least there's some sort of narrative) and everyone isn't a sociopath or an a-hole all of the time.

• Love 1

Carter buys the Pawtucket Patriot brewery and decides to cut some corners to save a few bucks. Peter overhears the plan and runs and tells investigative journalist Tricia Takanawa about Carter's plan to use toxic chemicals in the beer cans. Meanwhile, Brian's drivers' license has expired and he enlists Stewie as an instructor.

This episode could have been so much more. I think it could've been funnier with Lois going very extreme on trying to prevent people from vaccinating their children. The old FG would have done so, because it seems now they're really running out of ideas and pop culture. They could have involved Donna & Rallo Tubbs in this story because Lois & Donna got into it before with Donna spanking Chris. 

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:56 PM, ShadowSixx said:

I thought Olivia died in the house fire Stewie set. I guess this was Olivia's revenge by kicking Stewie out of the group and making his success her own. She looks different like she had botox in the lips or something.

They never said what happened  to her after he set  her cardboard house on fire.

Welp, Antology episode. We haven't seen one of these in a while. The wraparounds were the best part.

Great Gatsby: I'm sure this was a good tl;dr of the book. So much coincidence.

Huckleberry Finn: Simpsons did this much better, and the only good parts were Brian as the pig and the Rush concert.

Of Mice And Men: I had a feeling Stewie & Brian were going to be George & Lenny. And I thought this was the best one.

Jeez, everyone in these segments was hoping to get to the end as fast as possible. Is it possible for animated characters to phone it in?

"There sure are a lot of coincidences for such a great novel."

"Let's all drunk-drive into Manhattan and have this same conversation again - yeah, I'm starting to think this isn't a great book."

Not too many people (who were rich enough to afford books) liked Gatsby when it first came out.

Critics panned it, and Fritzgerald died penniless, still thinking that his "Great American Novel" was crap.

A few years later, war broke out and over three times as many copies of Gatsby were sent overseas to GIs to read for free

than were printed during Fritz's lifetime.

GIs loved reading about the rich lifestyle and insisted that their kids read the book while they were in school.

A lot of educated scholars even to this day still think the story is crap, but we do live in a society where

many Academy Award nominated films barely make enough money to break even, while Michael Bay is planning Transformers 5.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

"There sure are a lot of coincidences for such a great novel."

"Let's all drunk-drive into Manhattan and have this same conversation again - yeah, I'm starting to think this isn't a great book."

Not too many people (who were rich enough to afford books) liked Gatsby when it first came out.

Critics panned it, and Fritzgerald died penniless, still thinking that his "Great American Novel" was crap.

A few years later, war broke out and over three times as many copies of Gatsby were sent overseas to GIs to read for free

than were printed during Fritz's lifetime.

GIs loved reading about the rich lifestyle and insisted that their kids read the book while they were in school.

A lot of educated scholars even to this day still think the story is crap, but we do live in a society where

many Academy Award nominated films barely make enough money to break even, while Michael Bay is planning Transformers 5.

..which supposedly will be his final film in the series that he directs..like we've all heard that line before lol

21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I almost found it amusing that Brian was killed in every single segment, but the puppy death in Of Mice and Men is something I never got over when I read the book.

Was that what the "I'm going to hug him and squeeze him and call him George..." line from the Abominable Snowman Buggs Bunny cartoon  came?

• Love 1
On 1/22/2016 at 4:38 PM, ShadowSixx said:

.....there are child actors who have been successful without going wild like Elijah Wood, John & Joan Cusack, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Fred Savage (who I absolutely adore), Leonardo DiCaprio, Christina Applegate, Neil Patrick Harris, etc. 

Please add Ryan Gosling to this list.

I remember that guy when he was on "Breaker High" and "Young Hercules".

He's now one of the most in-demand young adult Hollywood stars.

This was an ok episode. The one plus is that I always tend to like when Peter & Carter work together. Downside is Peter not knowing that he worked at the Brewery. I also had a feeling that Tricia was using Carter to investigate Peter's claims as she did something similar when she slept with Quagmire for some sex story she was doing.

• Love 1

It definitely seems like the characters were the only ones who didn't see the ending coming. I agree that it was just ok - I really did like having a plot and everybody seemed to be in character instead of sociopathic monsters, but it just didn't do it for me in terms of great lines or gags (although I also loved Ollie.)

I liked the sledding stuff. Of course Meg is the one that goes through the windshield of a car.

Going to an opera and it's just the Kars 4 Kids jingle? Okay, that was clever.

The whole Peter as Santa plot just reminded me of when Homer was Krusty The Clown.

Rob Gronkowski, of the New England Patriots, moves into the house behind the Griffins, and the guys enjoy partying with him until his antics become overwhelming. Meanwhile, Stewie begins beekeeping and gives his bees steroids to produce more honey, but instead they become aggressive.

Quagmire scores free friends-and-family plane tickets for a guys' trip to San Francisco. However, after seeing the auto-pilot function, the boys doubt Quagmire's flying skills. Then, unforeseen events in the air put Quagmire's abilities to the test.

This was a...pretty decent episode! Shocking, I know.

I love animation jokes. I so wanted Cleveland to be dressed as Cyclops for the rest of the episode.

I'd ask how the hijackers managed to get guns on a plane but, you know, the TSA doesn't really give a shit.

And oh hey, an Inside Out parody that the Simpsons beat them to! And was better!

LOVED the Golden Girls cutaway. Not surprised Stewie now wants the dads to die to have that spinoff happen.

that X-Men joke..shouldnt Cleveland have been drawn as Bishop..?

I saw what they did there with the "plane landing in water" scene lol

That dedication to Carrie Fisher at the beginning :(  (forgot she was the voice of Peter's boss at the brewery)

Best thing about the episode "The Quahog Girls" that was funny, but Lois' singing is one of the worst.

I did like the X-Men joke as well. Joe nothing wrong with being Professor X even though it was obvious lol.