Type keyword(s) to search

Welcome To The Squadroom: Questions, Comments, And Other Miscellaneous Musings For Further Discussion

• Start Topic

Am currently watching some episodes from Season 8 which has Dani Beck (Connie Nielsen) as Stabler's partner. Beck is walking a fine line when it comes to taking each case too personally. It seems like Beck's behavior is very similar to Benson's  when it comes to accusing without proof or even being a little too physical with suspects.

My question is who is carrying the biggest load of baggage here? Benson has one significant advantage over Beck and that is she is protected by the writers (and producers). Benson can get away with more because the writers can always justify her actions.

Anyway, what do you think?

Just finished watching Unstable (Wentworth Miller possibly tosses serial rapist out police station bathroom window.)  Leaving the innocent guy (Victor Tate) in prison with "no way to get out" because the real rapist is dead and can't testify.  After Stabler promised he's get him out.

So Sonya Paxton tells Stabler there's nothing they can do to help Victor (no early parole, etc...) "Unless one of you knows the governor?"  

Dammit, Sonya!  You're an ADA!  You know your boss.  You either already know Jack McCoy or at least your chief knows Jack McCoy.  And Jack McCoy knows the governor!  Jack McCoy knows the mayor!  The mayor knows the governor!  Way fewer than six degrees of separation!

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Just finished watching Unstable (Wentworth Miller possibly tosses serial rapist out police station bathroom window.)  Leaving the innocent guy (Victor Tate) in prison with "no way to get out" because the real rapist is dead and can't testify.  After Stabler promised he's get him out.

So Sonya Paxton tells Stabler there's nothing they can do to help Victor (no early parole, etc...) "Unless one of you knows the governor?"  

Dammit, Sonya!  You're an ADA!  You know your boss.  You either already know Jack McCoy or at least your chief knows Jack McCoy.  And Jack McCoy knows the governor!  Jack McCoy knows the mayor!  The mayor knows the governor!  Way fewer than six degrees of separation!

I know, that didn’t make much sense to me. Victor Tate was clearly innocent, there was clear evidence proving that, and everyone knew it. Sonya knows her boss McCoy, who probably knows the governor (he knew Governor Shalvoy who had resigned before this episode took place), and he at least knows the Mayor and probably the Attorney General, who know the Governor, and so they had a clear path of access to get Victor Tate released or pardoned. Jack McCoy would’ve fought hard for his release and given the publicity of the case and everyone knowing and the evidence explicitly proving Tate was innocent, Tate would’ve been released. But the show chose to reject logic in order to give Stabler more angst - far from the only time SVU has rejected logic in favor of soapy personal plots and angst for their main characters. 

• Love 5

At the end of season 3 ep 9, Care, Olivia/Mariska is wearing a mock turtleneck shirt. It’s hiding what appears to be a massive bruise on the left side of her neck. Thoughts? Anyone else see it? It’s when she’s in the mother’s new apartment getting reunited with her 2 daughters. 

I know this is annoying. I play L&A SVU in the background all day and as such I run into random episodes that capture my attention more than others and will re-watch time and time again.

I know I watch this episode before but had to walk out the door before it ended this second time around. Since I am not certain what channel I was on (cable or Hulu) I'm having a hard time tracking down the season/episode.

A woman is found in "Central Park" (maybe) bleeding and confused. She actually first approaches a baby stroller because it was temporarily left alone. Then she faints. She was raped/assaulted and has no memory. I think she was a travel writer and had to get on a plane (carrying diamonds as a courier). She has no memory and the last guy she was with is some rich dude. An old college roomie of mine played a small role... I can search credits to make sure it was him (and remember his name while at it).... but I can't find the episode.

• Love 1

A gentle reminder, folks! 🙂

There are already numerous pages in this forum. For the sake of not clogging the forum with miscellaneous posts, please do not start new threads. I just merged another thread into this one.

Again, as a guide, anything that does not fit in the other topics goes here. i.e. episode identifying and other little odds and ends.

Your continued cooperation is appreciated!

Hello guys and dolls I am in a dilemma I have been binge watching SVU during covid 19 I just watched episode 14 of season 17 and it was part maybe of 2 shows I have not watched Chicago PD would like to know what episode of Chicago PD is second part of this episode of SVU really want to see the second part was a good episode prolly one the best I have see so far. 

Thanks

On 8/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, mraamohamed said:

Hello guys and dolls I am in a dilemma I have been binge watching SVU during covid 19 I just watched episode 14 of season 17 and it was part maybe of 2 shows I have not watched Chicago PD would like to know what episode of Chicago PD is second part of this episode of SVU really want to see the second part was a good episode prolly one the best I have see so far. 

Thanks

I am not a Chicago PD watcher, but I think this ep continued in Season 3, Episode 14 of that show.

I know in seasons 2 to around 8 or 9, Fin was known for saying "That's messed up" a lot but I cannot find a specific episode and I've dug really deep into youtube too! Anyone happen to know an ep where he says it?

(edited)

I think Law and Order would be greatly improved if they fired Peter Scanacrapo. He is the worst actor I’ve ever seen.

I know people didn’t like Stone and I didn’t either but Phillip Winchester at least had acting talent. Peter Scanashito does not understand how to do basic line delivery and seriously should consist a career change. The rest of the cast must make fun of his “acting” behind his back.

Edited by Jenny1234
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Jenny1234 said:

I think Law and Order would be greatly improved if they fired Peter Scanacrapo. He is the worst actor I’ve ever seen.

So you've never watched any of Mariska Hargitay's scenes? It must be nice to get through an episode in 5 minutes...

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Scavino is one of the reasons I watch...along with Ice T. They could lose blondie and her personal storylines, though, and I wouldn’t miss that. I liked Scavino better as a detective and enjoyed him on The Blacklist as Tom Keen’s brother—would have liked to see them develop that role.

• Love 4

I really like Carisi - I had reservations about making him the ADA but they’ve worked out most of the kinks there this season and he’s slid into the lawyer role nicely. I’ve liked Carisi since he came on in Season 16.

Now Rollins or Kat could leave and I wouldn’t miss them - I can’t stand the Rollins family drama, and Kat has just been incredibly obnoxious and unpleasant this season - she has all of Benson’s worst tendencies of being a crusader for social justice and a crybaby without any of the things that make Benson interesting. 

• Love 4

I like Scavino/Carisi fine. Carisi seems like a generally caring person; I remember thinking it was nice he seemed genuinely impacted by Kathy dying even though he'd never known Stabler. Kat, I liked last season but this season she is working on my nerves. 

• Love 4

It's Peter S-C-A-N-A-V-I-N-O.  Scanavino.

I like him just fine and do not think he's a bad actor.  I love Sonny Carisi and his career change from SVU Det. to ADA.

I do not want to see Carisi romantically involved with Rollins.

I enjoy Fin and Carisi together.

• Love 5
(edited)

And I'm not talking about the main ones but the victims and suspects, so hear me out because this going to be quite a lengthy rant and probably something most of you have not really put much thought into.

One thing that has ALWAYS bothered me about this franchise that goes just beyond SVU (so the original L&O and CI too as they were long running) is that the writers of each of these shows don't realize how SMALL Manhattan really is, especially with that big ass park in the middle that could be it's own damn village. Like, why are we constantly seeing different characters, different places, different everything ALL the time? It makes no sense. The constant stores, homes, businesses, etc. the cops go and visit to talk to witnesses or whoever to gain information are only seen ONCE for story purposes of said episode, but it's never seen again. And in real-life, cops are ALWAYS coming across the same offenders and arresting them multiple times a year. They're not just randomly dealing with different people all the time.

What hurts SVU is that characters come and go and the ones we see only one time just disappear never to be seen or heard of again. The same with the other L&O shows that do this. OH BUT IT GETS BETTER. We then have a bigger issue overall when you take in the other shows into account that are set in the same area because this is not like they're set on different boroughs of NYC, but the same ONE borough. So it's bad enough we don't get revisits 95% of the time on each of the shows individually, but I have a hard time believing the other shows co-exist in the same area because even they don't revisit EACH OTHER'S characters! It would have been nice to see like 50% of L&O's characters pop up on SVU in rape matters and vice versa. Or these characters pop over on CI during major case scenarios. They recycle actors like crazy across these shows (establishing twins and triplets in the process), but we can't have constant intertwining of characters? Huh? And I hate when they recycle actors because it just leads to confusion. 

Like Manhattan seems to be the whole damn city itself because it's just ridiculous we have three long-running shows co-existing in the same area (L&O, SVU, and CI) yet we're always seeing new characters and new places and then these elements not only never pop up again on their own debut shows, but they don't even pop up in the others. Remember that Chinese spot on L&O in that one episode? Yeah that never popped up again on that show nor the spinoffs. Remember that charter school on SVU on such and such Avenue? Yeah that kind of just vanished too. It's mostly a one and done with these shows and it's jarring. The suspense of disbelief could be more tolerable if the shows were each on different boroughs, but that's not the case. 

It makes me glad L&O: Trial By Jury got cancelled because had it continued, it would have been worse because that also took place in Manhattan and was also bringing in it's own share of new characters and places we never saw before on the other three shows. I felt like the show should have been about cases from the other L&O shows that ended on police investigations (mostly CI since it rarely did court proceedings), but nope. So if L&O introduces a character named Samantha Higgins who is a victim of an assault, I better be seeing her pop up multiple times throughout the season and the next few maybe dealing with another attacker or an abusive spouse, or her parents are in trouble, and even on SVU and CI and whatever spinoff they make afterwards for other reasons. Or that Latino lady who runs a coffee spot over by 6th avenue that guided L&O detectives on this one suspect of interest? Well she pops up again when the detectives go there for a break a few times in future episodes and then eventually helps them ID some one in another case and appears on the spinoffs maybe working another job. DON'T JUST SHOW THESE PEOPLE ONE TIME AND THAT'S IT. THEY JUST DON'T EXIST ANYMORE AND IT BUGS ME. 

And besides just the victims, I also don't like we never see what happens to the suspects because a lot of them could be out after a few years and could very well go back to their old behaviors whether it be another homicide, or rape case, or a major case, and yet we don't see them again. Why couldn't such and such murderer from let's say L&O Season 4 episode 3 pop up a few more times during Season 10 or 13 doing more stuff? Or pop over on SVU a few times and commit some rapes and child kidnapping, or bounce over to CI and perhaps murder a TV actor? And it's not just that one character, but many of them. While all three of these shows were on the air for many many years, there should have been more intertwining by not only their main characters, but the victims and suspects so we know they still existed in this universe! And then all the places the cops visit to get information on one case, re-appear multiple times in the future and on other shows to help guide the cops there on a new case, or perhaps become victims or suspects themselves in their own case they get caught up in.

Imagine if Season 1 of CI was filled with victims/suspects we mostly saw on L&O and SVU from 1990 to 2001 and it was like that for Seasons 2-10 and CI's own original characters popped up multiple times on the other shows. And then when TBJ rolled around, it was trial cases of people we've seen on the other shows that was passed onto Tracey Kibre (lead ADA character of TBJ) because the ADAs of L&O, SVU, or CI couldn't handle them for whatever reason like in that SVU crossover with TBJ where Arthur Branch re-assigned an SVU case to Tracey because Casey Novak was attacked by a suspect and was thus emotionally involved. This is how you do things! Keep it all connected and intertwining so they're not just one and dones. 

At this point, I'd like SVU and Organized Crime to touch on cases from L&O and CI and utilized those characters in new situations. It's realistic and saves having to introduce new characters and locations ALL the time. I just got done watching an CI Season 1 episode in which a man murdered his wife but her body was never found. SVU could do an episode where her body is found. L&O had a Season 6 episode where a man was given 25 years to life for murder. Well? IT'S BEEN 25 YEARS NOW. SVU or OC can show him coming out of prison to do another crime. Boom. These writers are scratching for solo story ideas all the time, but can't seem to think there's 1,200 stories of material out there they can be revisiting and continuing 50% of the time at the very most that just seems to be be forgotten about. -_-

So has anyone really thought about this? Call me insane for thinking too deeply, but it's this sort of thing I think is not handled properly when doing multiple shows in the same area and yet, are always coming off so distant and isolated. It's like having three shows set in this big house but we don't see the same characters. They always have different guests and different rooms, BUT IT'S THE SAME HOUSE. WE SHOULD BE SEEING THE SAME PEOPLE AND ROOMS ALL THE TIME AND INTERTWINING FROM OTHER SHOWS BECAUSE IT JUST MAKES SENSE TO DO THAT. If you're not gonna be intertwining your neighbors, no sense having them so close together. -_-

Edited by Devonte Huntley
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Devonte Huntley said:

One thing that has ALWAYS bothered me about this franchise that goes just beyond SVU (so the original L&O and CI too as they were long running) is that the writers of each of these shows don't realize how SMALL Manhattan really is, especially with that big ass park in the middle that could be it's own damn village. Like, why are we constantly seeing different characters, different places, different everything ALL the time? It makes no sense. The constant stores, homes, businesses, etc. the cops go and visit to talk to witnesses or whoever to gain information are only seen ONCE for story purposes of said episode, but it's never seen again. And in real-life, cops are ALWAYS coming across the same offenders and arresting them multiple times a year. They're not just randomly dealing with different people all the time.

We do see some locations repeatedly. Hudson University ring a bell?

And while I would like a little more realism than we have gotten the last 14-15 seasons or so I would argue that variety is better as a viewer and am happy to grant them a little creative license. For instance in real life most SVU cases are "he said she said" between acquaintances. Which if the series portrayed in real life proportions would be terrible. See Season 18 - I'm sure as hell never going to again!

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

We do see some locations repeatedly. Hudson University ring a bell?

And while I would like a little more realism than we have gotten the last 14-15 seasons or so I would argue that variety is better as a viewer and am happy to grant them a little creative license. For instance in real life most SVU cases are "he said she said" between acquaintances. Which if the series portrayed in real life proportions would be terrible. See Season 18 - I'm sure as hell never going to again!

Gee, are we not allowed to make our own posts on this forum? -_-

I was going to add something about Hudson University because I knew some one would mention it and didn't think to initially after posting that rant, but I feel asleep so no need to now. But that's the ONLY main recurring connection and that is what I am talking about. 50% of the other places we see should also be recurring. I mean again, these shows are practically neighbors. The same things and people should be popping up constantly, even if it's background extras. 

As far as the "he said she said" stuff on SVU, I don't care about that. That's a whole other topic. I'm mainly focused on seeing many of these suspects and victims returning for different case ordeals or even if it's just to be witnesses to another care or help provide info they know of if they're not directly involved. Like that woman in a recent episode that had the 19 year old son she wasn't close to and ran that restaurant that suffered during COVID and she had the police at gun point in the place and Olivia had to stay with her to calm her down? Now she seems like a character we COULD have very well been seeing recurring for a few seasons just as a witness, an informant, a regular visitor, etc. and then boom she gets her own story. That's what I like to see. 

Variety can be better, but if you're going to keep doing these shows for so many years and have spinoffs happening in the same area, then there NEEDS to be interacting or else I'm looking at parallel universes here.

Can we talk about the horrendous actions of Warren Leight? Let's start with him changing the look of the squad room in Season 13. It was all nice and high-tech during Seasons 11 and 12 and by Season 13 it was all gone for a more traditional look. Then he demotes Tamara Tunie as a regular which wasn't too bad, but then slowly was having her appear less and less until she was just gone for the longest time, but we constantly have these other ME characters popping up. Then fires Florek and Belzer because they were just too old for him to still be active cops. It wasn't their choosing. He wanted to get rid of them at the same time, but decided to space out their departures and have Cragen around for a bit longer to not kill two birds with one stone. 

I notice Warren seems to have an outing for DA characters in particular. He took over CI in Season 6 and wrote nothing about Carver's disappearance but a brief mention and couldn't be bothered letting the man have recurring appearance in all DA needed scenes like he did with Tamara Tunie keeping her around when she was demoted from regular in SVU Season 13. I appreciate him bringing back Cabot and Novak around that time and even bringing in L&O character Mike Cutter, but as quickly as they came, they were dispatched and had no real closure (apart from Cabot but that was when we had a different showrunner in S19 when she came back).

I questioned him on twitter about Mike Cutter's abrupt exit and he's all "the actor moved away" which made sense but when I asked why no explanation on his update he's all "I'm leaving the door open for so they can come back" and I'm like, huh? The problem is you provide NO UPDATE on their whereabouts in the meantime. The characters just appear to be gone. We got into a scuffle about Jack McCoy because he retired the dude for whatever reason in the Season 13 premiere (according to Mike Cutter) but didn't bother to replace him or let us know who the new guy was. Jack suddenly returns and is still the DA in S19, but upon Warren coming back and bringing in the Vanessa Hadid character, he implied to me on twitter that Jack is no longer in office because of how disorganized the DA's office is. HUH? Sorry, but there is no episode addressing his exit at all and if you didn't want him still in charge then why not provide closure for him? Why couldn't Vanessa simply be the DA instead of making her the SVU bureau chief, which means Cutter is certainly out the door because that's what he was. And load and behold Vanessa herself had currently vanished with nothing on her whereabouts as of last season. No surprise there.

Then there were other things I called Warren out on twitter and he blocked me, haha. Seriously, this man should not be showrunner because he is just sloppy all the way around.

• Love 3

Amen about Warren Leight trashing the DA’s office - it’s a goddamn disgrace to the franchise what they did last season, portraying the DA as inept and possibly corrupt when at last we heard in the season 19 finale Jack was DA. I’m sure Jack retired since then, and I’m glad Warren hinted that on Twitter. It was also a travesty how he never explained Ron Carver’s departure on CI.

I have to say though, I’m thrilled there has been zero mention of the Hadid twat this season, she was a horrid character who served no purpose other than to drag down the legal side of the show and take away lines from Carisi, as well as being a royal bitch. I hope they never mention her ever again!!

Warren also loves soapy drama way too much and clearly has a hard on for Rollins, she’s his pet character and he loves to shove her and her family and her personal drama down our throats.

That being said, Warren isn’t all bad, I feel like under him the show does a greater variety of stories and cases, whereas seasons 18-20 had a lot of stale cases and all around weak episodes. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Amen about Warren Leight trashing the DA’s office - it’s a goddamn disgrace to the franchise what they did last season, portraying the DA as inept and possibly corrupt when at last we heard in the season 19 finale Jack was DA. I’m sure Jack retired since then, and I’m glad Warren hinted that on Twitter. It was also a travesty how he never explained Ron Carver’s departure on CI.

I have to say though, I’m thrilled there has been zero mention of the Hadid twat this season, she was a horrid character who served no purpose other than to drag down the legal side of the show and take away lines from Carisi, as well as being a royal bitch. I hope they never mention her ever again!!

Warren also loves soapy drama way too much and clearly has a hard on for Rollins, she’s his pet character and he loves to shove her and her family and her personal drama down our throats.

That being said, Warren isn’t all bad, I feel like under him the show does a greater variety of stories and cases, whereas seasons 18-20 had a lot of stale cases and all around weak episodes. 

If Jack isn't there anymore, fine. Him returning in Season 19 was appreciative and I expected to see more of him a couple times throughout the season to make up for the ten years he was gone for and abruptly retired off-screen. But nope. He's just mentioned all the time like he was during Season 12 - McCoy this and McCoy that but NO MCCOY ACTUALLY APPEARING. However, if you're gonna want him out of office, then you're gonna have to SHOW IT. The issue is, Warren didn't bother producing an episode writing him out or anything. His opportunity to do that was when he brought in Vanessa and as annoying as she is, she needs closure if we're not going to be seeing her anymore.

At this point, they might as well not even have a DA in charge because we're never seeing them and it's pathetic. If they can bring in that police commissioner dude Christian Garland all the time, then why can't the DA boss be in the mix? Like I said, Warren has no love for the DA's office at all. He might as well make Carisi a cop again and turn the show into what CI was most of the time. Why bother with anything court related? I suggested to Warren that he should bring Ron Carver back as the new DA to show him in a promotion. But if the office is so corrupt as he implied last year to be and on the show, then he needs to show just who this person is and why they're still around apparently.

• Love 2
On 5/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, Devonte Huntley said:

IMO, your argument here would fall into the same category as another topic that has come up every now and then on SVU. And that is dealing with crimes that have occurred on the campus of Hudson University. Some of us have wondered sarcastically how a place of higher learning can stay in business where so many rapes have occurred over the years. I guess it's one of those little redundant things you accept when you're a fan of a particular show. I guess the writers and producers are playing it safe and using one setting rather than try to make up a new one, that may lead to some kind of real controversy later.

4 hours ago, dttruman said:

IMO, your argument here would fall into the same category as another topic that has come up every now and then on SVU. And that is dealing with crimes that have occurred on the campus of Hudson University. Some of us have wondered sarcastically how a place of higher learning can stay in business where so many rapes have occurred over the years. I guess it's one of those little redundant things you accept when you're a fan of a particular show. I guess the writers and producers are playing it safe and using one setting rather than try to make up a new one, that may lead to some kind of real controversy later.

And how can a made-up college assault lead to real controversy? If they used real colleges in Manhattan then fine, but not if they're all fictional. They probably should give Hudson University a break. 

4 minutes ago, Devonte Huntley said:

And how can a made-up college assault lead to real controversy? If they used real colleges in Manhattan then fine, but not if they're all fictional. They probably should give Hudson University a break. 

We all kind of agreed that they need to come up with another fake university.

I swear this show, or one of the others in the franchise, did once use another fake college besides the black hole that is Hudson University. In any case, Hudson would be sued out of existence in the real world. But crap there is now tradition, so I guess that covers it all.

As for controversies, all colleges have them. And Dick Wolf likes to rip from the headlines, so...

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/28/2021 at 10:01 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I swear this show, or one of the others in the franchise, did once use another fake college besides the black hole that is Hudson University. In any case, Hudson would be sued out of existence in the real world. But crap there is now tradition, so I guess that covers it all.

As for controversies, all colleges have them. And Dick Wolf likes to rip from the headlines, so...

There have indeed been other fictional institutions of higher learning in the franchise for various reasons such as needing a college that is not in the 27 or needing a different type of school like a liberal arts college or community college. The most notable SVU examples I can think of are Thompkins  Square University, which was supposed to be more of a lower tier party school where the rapey Tau Omega fraternity was based, and St. Raymonds University, which was basically St. John's with the serial numbers filed off and was Cragen's alma mater.

Edited by wknt3
  • Useful 3
(edited)

I think it's pitiful Cragen's wife Marge wasn't explored more on the show. We saw her one time on L&O in the early seasons and then when we get to this show she's dead. There was no need to kill her as we could have seen that relationship develop. I would have done like a back-door pilot on the original L&O in the ninth season where his wife gets raped which leads to him taking over Special Victims when the position is open to help other rape victims in honor of his wife's attack. What a missed opportunity. 

Also, Cragen had a son who would have been 18 years old at the time of this show's debut (14 years old as he stated in his 1995 guest-appearance on L&O "Bad faith") who we also could have seen developed as well. But I think they stated Cragen had no kids? Obviously they forgot. The dangers of the original L&O being such a story-driven show because the times we do get to learn personal details about the characters and their families, they are easily forgotten since they're never explored thoroughly. It's worse when we're talking years later and or transitioning one character to another show because a lot of the details established on that other show isn't even though of. I can imagine some of John Munch's character details from Homicide: Life on the Street being forgotten and retconned upon his transition onto SVU because the writers just didn't want to be bothered doing their homework to make sure their details was consistent apart from knowing who his spouses were and MAJOR highlights they figured to carry over.

I'm surprised they even remembered Marge to bring her up on SVU so many years later after her one and only appearance on L&O in 1991. But to kill her offscreen and forget all about the son? What a pitiful missed opportunity to explore the Cragen family. 

A last thing I want to point out with the L&O episode "Bad Faith" is that in ways seems to be like an early pilot to SVU, because it involves a sex crime matter spanning decades and Cragen is involved as a supporting character. However, Cragen isn't running special victims yet and is apart of some anti-corruption task force instead. But SVU's creation and Cragen's incorporation to the show seems to be drawn from this early L&O episode. But it would have been nice if Cragen was already at SVU by 1995 and we see him there again in a couple future episodes as well as the Exiled movie, all leading up to SVU where he's already there. What a perfect transition. 

"Bad Faith" also had a judge character by the name of Jerome Novak who handled the episode's court proceedings. He appeared to be in his 50s. I so would have made him the father of Casey Novak upon bringing her to show as a tie-in. Seriously, I wish I was a showrunner at the time because I would have handled things a lot better than the actual L&O people did when it came to continuity and character relations. I hate how messed up things gotten. 

i still like the show, it's been years for me. I love Rollins, and Carisi, I will have to see more of them together. Kat, eh. 

The thing that has gotten a little monotonous lately is how Olivia 100% believes every word a victim says. She never drops the belief even if there is evidence anyone can see that the victim is shady. 

I thought, that someone in Olivia's professional position is to reserve judgment and investigate a claim. without any assumptions of guilt or innocence on either side. Until there is proof of something. 

But I don't really know, I am not acquainted with any law officials.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

i still like the show, it's been years for me. I love Rollins, and Carisi, I will have to see more of them together. Kat, eh. 

The thing that has gotten a little monotonous lately is how Olivia 100% believes every word a victim says. She never drops the belief even if there is evidence anyone can see that the victim is shady. 

I thought, that someone in Olivia's professional position is to reserve judgment and investigate a claim. without any assumptions of guilt or innocence on either side. Until there is proof of something. 

But I don't really know, I am not acquainted with any law officials.

You basically took the words out of my mouth.  Except I also like Finn.  I need more time to get used to Kat.

I'd like to see plots where Benson automatically believes everything the "victim" claims, only to find out that she is lying out of spite, or for a payday.  Something, anything to keep us guessing.  Years ago there was an episode with Estella Warren and Lynda Carter where the two of them were con artists that fooled everyone, and I thought it was one of the best episodes of the series.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, melon said:

You basically took the words out of my mouth.  Except I also like Finn.  I need more time to get used to Kat.

I'd like to see plots where Benson automatically believes everything the "victim" claims, only to find out that she is lying out of spite, or for a payday.  Something, anything to keep us guessing.  Years ago there was an episode with Estella Warren and Lynda Carter where the two of them were con artists that fooled everyone, and I thought it was one of the best episodes of the series.

Yeah, it was the L&O SVU episode "Design" that concluded on the L&O episode "Flaw". I always find it interesting when a crossover story starts on a spinoff and concludes on the parent show. I guess it makes sense because whereas L&O's format has to have the 50% Law first half and 50% Order second half most of the time, SVU can just have a full on investigation so it's easier to start a story on SVU. 

On 6/17/2021 at 6:13 PM, melon said:

I love Finn too. There was an episode where a victim put Rollins through the wringer over a rape claim. It was tied in with Rollins GA group. The 'victim' threw the 'rapist' off a roof. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Watching some SVU reruns of Season 11 and I'm so disappointed the show couldn't make more use out of Sharon Stone's Jo Marlowe character. Such a terrific addition to the show and we only got to see her a short stint. Plus, she knew Elliot and was partners with him at one point and thus could have brought about a bit of an ongoing conflict between her and Olivia in who could be the better partner and perhaps who could show the hots for Elliot more. Sure, Kathy was still in the picture as his wife, but let's be honest, no one really cared for her Elliot might as well have been single and had these two women hitting on him. The way she came on in her first appearance as an eager ADA and then put on that fire fighter uniform and went in that burning apartment building was total bad ass. Do they really just let ADAs get involved so close to a crime this heinous? But man, we really need to see Jo make a return especially with Elliot back in the picture. 

Christine Lahti's character of Sonya Paxton was also a gem because she was seriously flawed and came off blunt and crooked. Many people didn't like this about her, but I thought it was refreshing to see a DA that wasn't all stern, by the book, and only bending of the rules in rare cases when it suited them as we endured with Alex and Casey, and was far from bland as Kim Greyleck (I wouldn't mind seeing her return though in guest-appearances). Christine came in with all sorts of drama that could have been interesting to see more had she been a regular. She should have remained as a permanent recurring status at least, but then they had to kill her off within like a year of her coming on. Pitiful. So would have liked seeing her more in the next few seasons appearing on and off handling some SVU cases, even alternating with Barba during his tenure. DAMN YOU SVU WRITERS. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

From what I read back in the day, Sharon Stone hated her L&O:SVU experience. She complained of cheap costuming, espicially being given L'Eggs pantyhose to wear.

What? This is a crime drama TV show on network TV, not a freaking Broadway musical. Well, that sucks. Damn you Sharon then. You jeopardized what could have been a big role for you. -_-

7 minutes ago, Devonte Huntley said:

What? This is a crime drama TV show on network TV, not a freaking Broadway musical. Well, that sucks. Damn you Sharon then. You jeopardized what could have been a big role for you. -_-

Sharon likes the movie star treatment. Doing a weekly one-hour TV series is not the same. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Sharon likes the movie star treatment. Doing a weekly one-hour TV series is not the same. 

Well this isn't a movie and the budget has to be saved for OTHER episodes and other factors that goes into the show. UGH, these rich people tickle me with this greed nonsense. I'm going on her Twitter to give her a peace of my mind.

Good as place as any to mention this----The new "Defense" series is *not* going forward. https://tvline.com/2021/07/15/law-and-order-for-the-defense-cancelled-nbc-spinoff-not-moving-forward/

In other news, the SVU season premiere is Sep 23 (2 hour, starting at 8/7), followed by the season premiere of L&O: OC. The following week (Sep 30), SVU will again be on "early" (8/7) followed by 2 episodes of L&O: OC. https://tvline.com/2021/07/15/nbc-fall-premiere-dates-chicago-pd-fire-svu/

• Useful 3
17 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Good as place as any to mention this----The new "Defense" series is *not* going forward. https://tvline.com/2021/07/15/law-and-order-for-the-defense-cancelled-nbc-spinoff-not-moving-forward/

In other news, the SVU season premiere is Sep 23 (2 hour, starting at 8/7), followed by the season premiere of L&O: OC. The following week (Sep 30), SVU will again be on "early" (8/7) followed by 2 episodes of L&O: OC. https://tvline.com/2021/07/15/nbc-fall-premiere-dates-chicago-pd-fire-svu/

I’m glad the For the Defense series isn’t going forward - L&O has always been about the police and prosecutors and it would’ve been really weird to have a show about the defense, plus I think it would’ve been heavy handed politically.

I have a feeling I may stop watching SVU regularly this season - it’s becoming more of a romance soap opera than a crime show, I don’t think I can stomach a full season of Carisi/Rollins in a relationship, plus the constant hints of a Benson/Stabler romance, the show is pandering to shippers and soap lovers. Organized Crime may lose me as well, while parts of that show have been entertaining, a lot of it just doesn’t make sense.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/15/2021 at 4:16 PM, illdoc said:

I forgot all about that planned spinoff. Seems disappointing considering L&O could have three shows running along side the Chicago shows which has their own trio and we have this competition. But, I guess it's better to just deal with two shows and not milk things too fast. But why is NBC not instead choosing to revive the ORIGINAL L&O? It tickles me they're putting so much focus on these spinoffs than the ONE show they ought to be bringing back they unfairly cancelled. It was Wolf's fault being so greedy, but they could have axed L&O: LA and kept this one going. 

Glad to see SVU and OC are coming back in the Fall and that OC is apparently getting a full season as opposed to being saved as another mid-season. The premiering of both is pretty odd. One week of two SVU episodes and one OC episode, and then the following week, one SVU episode and two episodes of OC? Interesting. Seems like NBC don't have any other show to fill in those extra time slots.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I’m glad the For the Defense series isn’t going forward - L&O has always been about the police and prosecutors and it would’ve been really weird to have a show about the defense, plus I think it would’ve been heavy handed politically.

I have a feeling I may stop watching SVU regularly this season - it’s becoming more of a romance soap opera than a crime show, I don’t think I can stomach a full season of Carisi/Rollins in a relationship, plus the constant hints of a Benson/Stabler romance, the show is pandering to shippers and soap lovers. Organized Crime may lose me as well, while parts of that show have been entertaining, a lot of it just doesn’t make sense.

L&O doesn't always have to be about police and prosecutors, it ought to be able to tackle the law in other aspects too besides one side. Besides, not everyone put on trial is guilty so it's great to see the defense side of that, kind of like how we seen it in Trial By Jury

SVU has always been about the personal lives as far back as Season 1 so expanding on that is nothing new. Even if it wasn't, a show running this long, it ought to be touching on new dynamics. Besides, all of the episodes will still feature regular cases that will take up most of the episode anyway, so there is nothing to fear. We're never going to get a bunch of episodes or even ONE episode any time soon in the vein of L&O's Aftershock and that episode was a nice little break from the traditional format that was needed after six years, followed by the three-part Los Angeles episode exploring more on the personal lives of Rey Curtis and Jamie Ross a couple years later. What I am looking forward is seeing more Criminal Intent-esque scenes where we have scenes not involving the main characters, something Warren brought to the show a bit during his last tenure as showrunner that he didn't utilize as much. 

Organized Crime was best not even being a L&O show. The style is just too different and should have been a related series like Conviction was. I don't think they should ship Benson and Stabler due to the fact that they're on different shows and it will be too much intertwining with them. If they were on the same show, fine because it's easier to keep together. What they're doing now with it is a tactic to make sure viewers of both shows continue to tune into both shows instead of just one or the other. But if they were go let's say get married or something two years down the line, how will both shows even continue if they're still running by this point? 

16 hours ago, Devonte Huntley said:

What I am looking forward is seeing more Criminal Intent-esque scenes where we have scenes not involving the main characters, something Warren brought to the show a bit during his last tenure as showrunner that he didn't utilize as much. 

I think they are already covered that with L&O: Criminal Intent.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, Xeliou66 said:

There is a lot of common sense here!

• Love 2