Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Somebody to Love

• Start Topic

Well, that was... a Season of Television. I was a little surprised that both Nikki and Emmit died (at least, once he'd survived his run in with her on the road) and that Vargas didn't: OTOH, I did think that the fact that nobody arrived to spring him at the end indicated that he wasn't as important as he thought he was. In my interpretation, he was always a minion of the Widow Goldfarb (she didn't correct Emmit saying he was HER boss because she knows the value of being underestimated) - and she dropped him once he was a liability.

An WOW is Mr Numbers a Badass! He took out a small army of goons single handed (admittedly by ambush). AND he survived!

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:52 AM, Spartan Girl said:

After all her plans and smart moves, Nikki's undoing is her first and last stupid move: shooting a cop.

She IS an escaped felon - she couldn't afford for him to take her into custody (obviously, she COULD just have faced the music and done her time, but if she wanted to remain free, she had little choice).

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, withanaich said:

another thing that bugged me about that scene: why didn't he just get off the elevator on the SECOND floor? Does the elevator not stop at the second floor? What was the need for all the James Bond elevator-hatch-escape stuff? And aren't there, like, any STAIRS in that damn building?

I ALWAYS think people should take the stairs. With the army he had with him, Varga should have sent people in both ways as it was unlikely that his enemies could cover all entrances - at least not with equal strength (even without knowing they were only facing one man).

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, scrb said:

Why would DHS hold him up in the first place?  Because of that elevator photo?

He's a foreign national operating under multiple identities and (probably) laundering money. The leap to "Terrorism" isn't that hard to make. Thanks to the Patriot Act, he also has a lot less legal redress.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I guess they just want viewers to decided for themselves if Varga was full of shit and still going to Rikers, or if he really had a way out, and Gloria still loses.

I doubt she would see it that way. She has done her duty and gets to attend the State Fair with her son. For her, maybe Virtue is its own reward.

• Love 4
On 6/23/2017 at 3:49 PM, Raja said:

To keep him free for following seasons?

I hope so ! I enjoy many of Fargo's residents, but some I just love. To name a few --Molly Solverson/Molly's dad (Lou S.), Mr.Numbers, Malvo, Gus . I was tickled to see Mr Numbers on that bus! It was unexpected and perfect. 

Unfortunately, I watched the season late this year, so I missed  joining in the chat as the season unfolded. I won't repeat what's been said or bring up too much, but: 

Much has been said about the parallels/nods to current events; it wasn't lost on me, but I also didn't mind it -- it was done with a light hand , IMO, and could easily be missed.  

Take "Law & Order SVU" , for example. I happen to mostly agree with their political "statements",  but they get so ridiculously heavy-handed at times that I get annoyed. Beatings over the head are not nearly as effective/fun as subversion & allegory. ;)

I enjoyed the recap, too. 

Hopefully there is a fourth season! 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, iMonrey said:

The car starting after the shootout didn't make sense either - Emmit could have simply taken Nikki's car or maybe even the squad car. That just looked like a continuity error. But I guess when you consider the whole bowling alley scene and try to figure out how that even made sense, it's a pretty minor plot point.

While it was an odd coincidence that Emmit's car magically worked again, I can see why he wouldn't have wanted to take either of the other vehicles.  The driver of each is dead, it looks pretty obvious that they killed each other, and with his car gone, there's no evidence that anyone else was there.  (Except maybe his cell phone.... was it still on the ground?)

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, ghoulina said:

I thought that opening was to basically lay out the theme of the season - that there are two sides to every story. Everyone has their own truth. There is no one truth, but different perspectives. Just as the Stussy brothers both saw the division of their father's bequeathed items differently. But I do agree that there was a lot more focus on Russia that didn't really seem to go anywhere. 

Two sides, perhaps, but people with power can enforce their version of the "truth".

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, MissBluxom said:

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with something that is mystifying me.

Around the 44 minute mark of this episode, Gloria and Varga are sitting down and trading strange remarks.

Gloria says words to the effect, "six people dead including a state trooper and 200 million dollars missing and you with ... "

I can't make out the rest of what she says. It sounds something like this:

"you at the center of the morass" ... or ...

"you with a hardrive up your ass"

Don't know the answer, but did anyone else have trouble with the audio on this series?  I routinely had to turn the volume on my TV much higher to hear the dialog on Fargo than I do with other programs.  Can't recall whether that happened with earlier seasons as well.

Just finished this season. Not a whole lot to say, except that Varga's endless soliloquies had me wondering if I'd accidentally switched onto a Shonda Rhimes show. During the first two seasons of Fargo, you'd have never convinced me that I'd one day be confusing Fargo with Scandal!

Edited by auntiemel
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The best part of the episode was that Nikki had learned sign language.

The worst part was that stupid ambiguous ending. It makes no sense that some government big shot was on the way to free Varga. Because if there was, why were they able to keep him in holding overnight, and long enough for Gloria to arrive.

I also hated the time jump and all the text on screen explaining what happened to Emmit. Liked that Wrench avenged Nikki though.

Although I can't believe the big conspiracy with Stussy lots was just a stupid credit scam. Especially because like the IRS guy said, if they had just paid their taxes it would have been totally legal.

It also seemed like the quality of the cast wasn't as deep as the last few seasons. You didn't have actors like Kate Walsh or Nick Offerman or Stephen Root playing important but relatively minor roles. Which meant so much of it feel upon the main cast.

• Love 2

I'm a few years late to the party, but wanted to add my two cents.  I LOVED seasons 1 and 2!  This season was a mess!  So many plot holes, too much filler, etc.  Ep 9 and the first half of ep 10 were more like the previous seasons, but he rest of the eps were badly written and poorly executed.  The only character I liked was the Gloria the sheriff.  I thought her storyline was going to be interesting with her trying to figure out who her stepdad was, etc.  Unfortunately, that was a total letdown.  I didn't like any of the other characters and couldn't have cared less if they got killed.  I'm 30 mins in on season 4 and I'm already bored and disappointed.  Sigh...

(edited)
18 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I'm a few years late to the party, but wanted to add my two cents.  I LOVED seasons 1 and 2!  This season was a mess!  So many plot holes, too much filler, etc.  Ep 9 and the first half of ep 10 were more like the previous seasons, but he rest of the eps were badly written and poorly executed.  The only character I liked was the Gloria the sheriff.  I thought her storyline was going to be interesting with her trying to figure out who her stepdad was, etc.  Unfortunately, that was a total letdown.  I didn't like any of the other characters and couldn't have cared less if they got killed.  I'm 30 mins in on season 4 and I'm already bored and disappointed.  Sigh...

Was this the season when the automatic doors didn't open for the main character (Gloria Burgle? Love her last name!)? I still think about that when it happens to me. Same with the automatic hand driers. I love thinking it's because of some metaphysical reason, LOL.
I just looked it up, and Gloria was played by Carrie C***, who I loved in her previous show, The Leftovers.

Otherwise I don't remember much about season 3 of Fargo except blaming the show (at least somewhat wrongly) for the cancelation of BrainDead, a fabulous (IMO) farce that helped me get through the worst of the surgery and chemo for stage IV cancer that year. Both Season 3 Fargo and BrainDead starred Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Right after I read that MEW had been cast in Fargo, the delayed decision to cancel BrainDead was finally announce.😭
But, hey, it looks like MEW met her future husband (Ewan McGregor) and father of her kids doing Fargo, so maybe I should just blame Mercy Street for stealing MEW away from BrainDead. Or maybe it was just that the sea change in politics made network execs skittish about such a show, but I do recall a long delay in the network deciding whether or not to renew BrainDead, during which a lot of the cast found other projects.

Anyhoo, you're not wrong, @juliet73, in that season 3 of Fargo was a bit of a nothing burger as a whole, despite having a lot of good ingredients.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

I've been doing a rewatch of Fargo before I begin season 5. I just finished season 3 and did I miss something or was there no explanation for the opening scene in Germany where the poor guy was getting set up by the very bad German official?

I don't think that it tied in with any of the modern story?

Anyway, so there is that.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:11 PM, WaltersHair said:

That was....not the ending I was expecting at all. I get that Nikki had to die since she's technically the one who set all the death into motion. Still, sad to see a girl BAMF go.

I actually thought Emmit deserved to live. He learned from his mistakes and kept Sy close (and he can talk).

Gloria's showdown with Varga was disappointing. Varga should be shown to lose and lose badly. He's too gross to be an all powerful, malevolent baddy. Thank you show for not toilet humor. And I never thought I'd type those words in my life.

I do hope the series comes back. I'll watch.

So I just finished re - watching this season*. I believe it was the 3rd time through for me. Its been awhile since I'd seen season 3 though. 

This time I understood that Varga didn't get away. No one came to get him, correct? 

Nikki - dammit Nikki!! I loved her story arc !! I really wanted her to make it. Also felt it a shame that she shot a trooper. The way she and Mr Wrench handled Varga was brilliant.     

* I actually just binged seasons 1-3 in the last two weeks. I'd seen them all before but forgot how they ended.  ;) 

On 12/14/2023 at 12:10 PM, margol29 said:

I've been doing a rewatch of Fargo before I begin season 5. I just finished season 3 and did I miss something or was there no explanation for the opening scene in Germany where the poor guy was getting set up by the very bad German official?

I don't think that it tied in with any of the modern story?

Anyway, so there is that.

Didn't he end up being the guy who killed the wrong Stussy to start the ball rolling? 

On 5/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, juliet73 said:

I haven't even bothered with season 4.