Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

Everything is much easier now that we know the show will be back in April. 3 years after S6, almost 2 years after S7.

It feels like DH part 2 all over again. "It all ends". It will truly be end of an era.

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

So I will stick to my prediction of Super Bowl Sunday for a trailer. 

You couldn't give us ONE new scene, HBO? Not even one?

HBO Magic Eight Ball says "Ask again later."

...In all seriousness, it is too early in my opinion to expect much in the way of new footage. We already got the quick shot of Sansa glancing over Jon's shoulder. Maybe we'll get a few quick shots in the year end promo, which usually comes out in December.

The reality is that HBO usually goes out of its way to avoid spoiling big character meetings/reunions in their promotional material--Jon/Sansa in S6, Jon/Dany in S7, etc.--and if EW is to be believed, one of the first scenes (maybe even the first scene) is Team Jon/Dany arriving at Winterfell. So in terms of releasing new scenes, they're a bit stuck. 

ETA: David Nutter is doing an AMA over at the /GameofThrones subreddit.

On directing first episodes: "I’ve never directed an opening episode of GOT before until season 8 but I think it’s really important to make a splash. You have to reset the table, put everyone back in their place, you have to take them to their next position. But you have to entertain that’s what’s most important."

Describe S8 in three words: "Season 8 in three words — Spectacular, Inspiring, Satisfying"

[That's my favourite description of S8 yet. Yes, please!]

Biggest challenge of directing S8: "The biggest challenge directing the final season of Game of Thrones is just the importance of getting it right. There was not a second chance to get all of these sequences right, and a lot of sequences had many actors in them and some wonderfully intimate scenes as well. So really it was about taking these characters from point A to B to C to D to E in the various episodes that I did, and making sure that it all balances out properly. We had a lot of rehearsal time and that was really the thing that saved me more than anything else. I'm very happy with the chance to get in there and rehearse with the actors, and I think they were too, and I think it turned out quite well."

["Wonderfully intimate" = sex scenes, hello!]

When asked whether he thinks S8 will generate the same level of shock and heartbreak as the Red Wedding: "As far as season 8 compared to the Red Wedding I just have to tell you - hang onto your seat cause it’s going to be special."

When asked about the S8 ending: "I'm completely satisfied with how season 8 ends. I think that David and Dan did a tremendous job, and they took into consideration what the fans want, as well as what is right as far as storytelling is concerned. I guarantee there's going to be lots of surprises and shocking moments, but it’s really very compelling stuff."

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4

"...what the fans want"

Which fans? Fandom is very diverse. You have people that want the WW to win and people who want Jon and Dany +Baby Targ ruling with happily ever afters for everyone else, and you have everything in between those two extremes.

It would not be productive to speculate on how the season will unfold using comments like that. LOL!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

David Nutter also said that there would be no time travel in his episodes.

Now that comment is a lot more specific and may I say: Thank you, Jesus!!!!! Lately, it seems to me, too many shows go to that well. I am tired of it.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Describe S8 in three words: "Season 8 in three words — Spectacular, Inspiring, Satisfying"

[That's my favourite description of S8 yet. Yes, please!]

ICAM. If I can say those three words, especially the last, when the last credits roll, I'll be more than happy.

I'm very glad for the mention of "intimate scenes", I think it only means character interaction -although I wouldn't mind one or two ships of mine to get busy, LOL. Although I loved S7, I regretted there weren't more. Those scenes in Beyond the Wall were just brilliant and it's a pity that TPTB didn't spend just a bit more time on characters. But I do hope it's because they kept most of it for the last season.

Now I'm going to bask in the glorious sight of my baby's "The North Remembers" For The Throne promo tweet.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

ICAM. If I can say those three words, especially the last, when the last credits roll, I'll be more than happy.

I'm very glad for the mention of "intimate scenes", I think it only means character interaction -although I wouldn't mind one or two ships of mine to get busy, LOL. Although I loved S7, I regretted there weren't more. Those scenes in Beyond the Wall were just brilliant and it's a pity that TPTB didn't spend just a bit more time on characters. But I do hope it's because they kept most of it for the last season.

Now I'm going to bask in the glorious sight of my baby's "The North Remember"For The Throne promo tweet.

Heh, I am going to interpret the reference to wonderfully intimate scenes as sex scenes and no one’s going’s to stop me. (If we did get any sex scenes, though, they would be in Nutter’s episodes, since 8x03 is all action and the big KL finale is in 8x05 and 8x06.)

Nutter also clarified his comment about the episode length to say that the episodes will be “long, meaty episodes” dancing around the length of the longest in the show’s history.

The longest GOT episode was 7x07, at 79 minutes. If all six episodes are around 80 minutes, that’s 480 minutes, or 90% of what a regular season would be (540 minutes). If that’s the case, Season 8 will be close to the same length in minutes as a regular season. Yay! (Season 7 worked out to 442 minutes, or roughly 80% of a regular season.)

And yes, BoatsexBaby posted in June and July that the premiere date would be in April. It could be just a good guess, but it’s yet another thing they’ve been right about.

...BoatsexBaby has been strongly hinting that there’s a Targ restoration endgame, by the way, although all they’re willing to confirm is that the Jonerys baby is endgame (the baby is born in the end and survives). Since BoatsexBaby has said that there is an epilogue set some time after the KL finale, and the baby seems to be born in the epilogue, that seems to suggest that Dany survives the main events in KL in 8x06.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, nikma said:

I don't know what is that problematic about WF plot. It still made more sense that Robert going to hunt for no reason at all.

In earlier seasons they made characters like Catelyn or Tyrion ignore LF's weak manipulations for plot purpose. Cat never asked anything about that dagger and Tyrion never asked anything about why LF lied.

So they made characters around LF stupid for his games to work, and at the end they made him stupid so he could die. But that was GRRM's and D&D's style from the beginning. If that wasn't problem for you in S1 it shouldn't be in S7.

Killing things helps Robert clear his head. He's also a huge coward and doesn't want to rule so he runs away so he doesn't have to deal with responsibility a lot of the time.  

Tyrion couldn't do anything to Littlefinger. He's too valuable. He says as much in the books:

"Mine?" Tyrion gave him a long look. "No. I think not. Never mine." He knows, the insolent wretch. He knows and he knows that I know, and he thinks that I cannot touch him.

If ever truly a man had armored himself in gold, it was Petyr Baelish, not Jaime Lannister. Jaime's famous armor was but gilded steel, but Littlefinger, ah . . . Tyrion had learned a few things about sweet Petyr, to his growing disquiet.

And Catelyn never second-guessed LF because she can't imagine him betraying her. Cat stands up for LF when Tyrion dares to disparage his character. Cat cares about Petyr:

Catelyn Stark stared at Tyrion with a coldness on her face such as he had never seen. "Petyr Baelish loved me once. He was only a boy. His passion was a tragedy for all of us, but it was real, and pure, and nothing to be made mock of. He wanted my hand. That is the truth of the matter. You are truly an evil man, Lannister."

• Love 1

Heh, I am going to interpret the reference to wonderfully intimate scenes as sex scenes and no one’s going’s to stop me. (If we did get any sex scenes, though, they would be in Nutter’s episodes, since 8x03 is all action and the big KL finale is in 8x05 and 8x06.)

Nutter also clarified his comment about the episode length to say that the episodes will be “long, meaty episodes” dancing around the length of the longest in the show’s history.

The longest GOT episode was 7x07, at 79 minutes. If all six episodes are around 80 minutes, that’s 480 minutes, or 90% of what a regular season would be (540 minutes). If that’s the case, Season 8 will be close to the same length in minutes as a regular season. Yay! (Season 7 worked out to 442 minutes, or roughly 80% of a regular season.)

And yes, BoatsexBaby posted in June and July that the premiere date would be in April. It could be just a good guess, but it’s yet another thing they’ve been right about.

...BoatsexBaby has been strongly hinting that there’s a Targ restoration endgame, by the way, although all they’re willing to confirm is that the Jonerys baby is endgame (the baby is born in the end and survives). Since BoatsexBaby has said that there is an epilogue set some time after the KL finale, and the baby seems to be born in the epilogue, that seems to suggest that Dany survives the main events in KL in 8x06.

Which is interesting since Friki believes Jon and Dany aren't going to be ruling in the end at least not as King and Queen. Instead it'll be a ruling council made up of everyone present at Tyrion's trial. 

Frikk: I don’t have a spoiler for that yet, I just can tell you that I think that Westeros will be ruled by a council, most of its members represented by those attending Tyrion’s trial in the Dragonpit.

13 minutes ago, WindyNights said:

Killing things helps Robert clear his head

How convenient. Lannisters and Starks are going to war, and he thinks that's the best time for a hunt? 

14 minutes ago, WindyNights said:

Tyrion couldn't do anything to Littlefinger. He's too valuable.

Only because GRRM said so. You don't have that feeling from the story.  

15 minutes ago, WindyNights said:

And Catelyn never second-guessed LF because she can't imagine him betraying her

It's not about imagining him betraying her, it's about logical question that any normal person would ask, even if Ned Stark told her about dagger. Why would Tyrion use his own very memorable dagger to kill Bran? 

25 minutes ago, nikma said:

How convenient. Lannisters and Starks are going to war, and he thinks that's the best time for a hunt? 

Only because GRRM said so. You don't have that feeling from the story.  

It's not about imagining him betraying her, it's about logical question that any normal person would ask, even if Ned Stark told her about dagger. Why would Tyrion use his own very memorable dagger to kill Bran? 

Well yeah, it's convenient but not out of character. Stuff like that is why Robert was written from the getgo the way he was. Like Robert doesn't want to do any ruling. It's why he tells Ned to do everything for him while he has fun. He says it over and over again that he wishes he would've abdicated the throne a long time ago if it wasn't for Joffrey being a psycho and Cersei whispering in his ears.

-------

You're forgetting actually. The story is pretty detailed with why LF is impervious: 

If ever truly a man had armored himself in gold, it was Petyr Baelish, not Jaime Lannister. Jaime's famous armor was but gilded steel, but Littlefinger, ah . . . Tyrion had learned a few things about sweet Petyr, to his growing disquiet.

Ten years ago, Jon Arryn had given him a minor sinecure in customs, where Lord Petyr had soon distinguished himself by bringing in three times as much as any of the king's other collectors. King Robert had been a prodigious spender. A man like Petyr Baelish, who had a gift for rubbing two golden dragons together to breed a third, was invaluable to his Hand. Littlefinger's rise had been arrow-swift. Within three years of his coming to court, he was master of coin and a member of the small council, and today the crown's revenues were ten times what they had been under his beleaguered predecessor . . . though the crown's debts had grown vast as well. A master juggler was Petyr Baelish.

Oh, he was clever. He did not simply collect the gold and lock it in a treasure vault, no. He paid the king's debts in promises, and put the king's gold to work. He bought wagons, shops, ships, houses. He bought grain when it was plentiful and sold bread when it was scarce. He bought wool from the north and linen from the south and lace from Lys, stored it, moved it, dyed it, sold it. The golden dragons bred and multiplied, and Littlefinger lent them out and brought them home with hatchlings.

And in the process, he moved his own men into place. The Keepers of the Keys were his, all four. The King's Counter and the King's Scales were men he'd named. The officers in charge of all three mints. Harbormasters, tax farmers, customs sergeants, wool factors, toll collectors, pursers, wine factors; nine of every ten belonged to Littlefinger. They were men of middling birth, by and large; merchants' sons, lesser lordlings, sometimes even foreigners, but judging from their results, far more able than their highborn predecessors.

No one had ever thought to question the appointments, and why should they? Littlefinger was no threat to anyone. A clever, smiling, genial man, everyone's friend, always able to find whatever gold the king or his Hand required, and yet of such undistinguished birth, one step up from a hedge knight, he was not a man to fear. He had no banners to call, no army of retainers, no great stronghold, no holdings to speak of, no prospects of a great marriage.

But do I dare touch him? Tyrion wondered. Even if he is a traitor? He was not at all certain he could, least of all now, while the war raged. Given time, he could replace Littlefinger's men with his own in key positions, but . . .

--------

So yeah, the story tells you very explicitly why Tyrion can't do anything to Littlefinger because he owns most of King's Landing so he has to wait until LF's men are replaced by Tyrion's.

-------

On Cat, it's because they're friends. She doesn't consider why because LF told her it was Tyrion and she doesn't believe LF would betray her like that. The reason why she doesn't question is then valid. It's up to you whether you want to buy it but it's not based on her logic but on her bond to LF.

Here:

Tyrion felt the heat rise in him. "It was not my dagger," he insisted. "How many times must I swear to that? Lady Stark, whatever you may believe of me, I am not a stupid man. Only a fool would arm a common footpad with his own blade."

Just for a moment, he thought he saw a flicker of doubt in her eyes, but what she said was, "Why would Petyr lie to me?"

"Why does a bear shit in the woods?" he demanded. "Because it is his nature. Lying comes as easily as breathing to a man like Littlefinger. You ought to know that, you of all people."

-----

It follows up with how things go wrong in the Vale as well. Cat hasn't seen Lysa and LF in years. They've changed and grown into despicable people but she doesn't know that because she hasn't been in contact with them.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I have always thought that Dany's baby would either be born in an epilogue or after the story ends. There is no way  they will have a hugely pregnant Dany flying around on Drogon. The events in season will likely move at a rapid pace as the story races to its conclusion.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I have always thought that Dany's baby would either be born in an epilogue or after the story ends. There is no way  they will have a hugely pregnant Dany flying around on Drogon. The events in season will likely move at a rapid pace as the story races to its conclusion.

I would hate that because then that means Daenerys definitely dies in childbirth but I guess it fits the pattern that GRRM's into. Women dying childbirth.

I think he likes that whole death(ice)-life(fire) contrast.

On 11/12/2018 at 5:54 PM, Smad said:

I have actually considered that. I knew they weren't getting through the wall so the only way was to wait for the Oceans to freeze over. But guess what. Dragon Fire and Wildfire exist in this universe and the WW can't swim. All you need is lookouts on either side of the wall and then send a super sonic raven and call for the Dragons. And have Wildfire stationed at those lookouts also. Both of those sources of heat should do the trick and melt the ice, after all it did so in the wight hunt episode.

I fail to see how this idea would work.  To begin with, "supersonic" or not, a raven wouldn't be sent from Eastwatch until the AOTD showed up (assuming that Eastwatch had ravens available) and then it would be sent to Winterfell, not Dragonstone, as no one in Eastwatch would have known that Jon had gone to Dragonstone.  So we're talking some time before the word got to Jon and Daenerys, and then the dragons have to get to Eastwatch.

Assuming, of course, that Daenerys would go at all.  Without seeing the AOTD, she still doesn't really understand how great the danger is.  (And her problem with Cersei still exists; she would probably still hesitate to take her dragons away from her home base without knowing that Cersei would not seek to invade it.)

Then we have to ask, how wide is the Wall?  At its top, it's only as wide as twelve mounted knights to ride abreast.  So what's that?  50'-60'?  It's wider at the base--so 100'?  I'll even give you 300'.  So the question is, how long would it take the AOTD to walk that 300'?  I personally really doubt that the raven would have even made it to Winterfell before they passed the Wall.

And after they did, there was no reason for them to remain on the ocean.  They only went on the ocean to circumvent the magic in the Wall.  Once they passed it, they would have stepped right back onto solid ground.  They were marching to conquer Westeros, not the ocean.  

So the issue of swimming wouldn't really come up.  However, somebody(ies) can swim, because somebody(ies) got the chains onto Viserion's corpse, which was at the bottom of a lake. 

You mentioned using Wildfire.  To my knowledge, and I admit I may have missed something, the only location of Wildfire is in Kings Landing.  If that's the case, then Wildfire is not an option without getting the cooperation of Cersei--and that brings us right back to where we started:  there's no chance of getting her cooperation without showing her proof.

Last but not least, what difference did it make why the dragons showed up?  The NK had his spears and was just waiting to use them, and he would have brought one down exactly the same way.

Edited by Lemuria
Coherence counts!
  • Love 2

Did Nutter give away that Dany ends up as Queen?

Question:  “In your opinion why does Daenerys want to be Queen? I never understood because she hated it in mereen.”.

Reply: I think she wants to make a difference. She wants to free the slaves. She wants to be a good, fair just ruler. After so many years it chasing her and now her chasing it — I think in some respects it’s about destiny for her and some of it’s really beyond her own calling and something she’s destined to become.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, anamika said:

Did Nutter give away that Dany ends up as Queen?

He was too careful in the Q&A to give any spoilers away, so I doubt it. He's referring what Dany wants and believes, not necessarily what happens. 

I think she wants to make a difference. She wants to free the slaves. She wants to be a good, fair just ruler. After so many years it chasing her and now her chasing it —I think in some respects it’s about destiny for her and some of it’s really beyond her own calling and something she’s destined to become.

Which fits into what we've seen so far and why I don't believe the show will ever end with Dany just walking away from the throne. Book!Dany may dream about the house with the red door, but it's ultimately a dream she rejects at the end of aDwD. Show!Dany has never been shown to have a similar desire and rejected the dream of a regular life with her loved ones in her vision in season two. She'll either die chasing the throne or win it, and from the spoilers, it's seeming less likely there'll be a throne left to sit.

Edited by shireenbamfatheon
grammar
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, WindyNights said:

I would hate that because then that means Daenerys definitely dies in childbirth but I guess it fits the pattern that GRRM's into. Women dying childbirth.

No it doesn’t. We don’t have confirmation from spoilers of anyone’s death apart from possibly Jaimie’s.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

No it doesn’t. We don’t have confirmation from spoilers of anyone’s death apart from possibly Jaimie’s.

I wasn't speaking from a spoiler-perspective just like I don't need confirmation to think that Cersei is going to die.

38 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

He was too careful in the Q&A to give any spoilers away, so I doubt it. He's referring what Dany wants and believes, not necessarily what happens.

That last sentence was not about what Dany wants but Nutter's opinion on her arc:

I think she wants to make a difference. She wants to free the slaves. She wants to be a good, fair just ruler. After so many years it chasing her and now her chasing it —I think in some respects it’s about destiny for her and some of it’s really beyond her own calling and something she’s destined to become.

Basically he is saying that while she wants to be queen to do these things, her becoming queen is even beyond what she personally wants and controls and more or less her destiny. Or you could be right and he's just talking about what Dany wants.

38 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Show!Dany has never been shown to have a similar desire and rejected the dream of a regular life with her loved ones in her vision in season two. She'll either die chasing the throne or win it, and from the spoilers, it's seeming less likely there'll be a throne left to sit.

Show Dany did not reject a regular life for the thone in her vision. She walked away from the Iron Throne in her vision to go to the wall. Which is what happened last season - where she halted her pursuit of the throne to help the North. She also walked away from dead Drogo and her dead son - which I am sure is not an indication of her rejecting regular life. But of rejecting death.

In the books, Dany is tempted by many such visions in the house of the undying, but she knows that if she stays with those visions, she will die.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, anamika said:

That last sentence was not about what Dany wants but Nutter's opinion on her arc:

Basically he is saying that while she wants to be queen to do these things, her becoming queen is even beyond what she personally wants and controls and more or less her destiny. Or you could be right and he's just talking about what Dany wants.

Show Dany did not reject a regular life for the thone in her vision. She walked away from the Iron Throne in her vision to go to the wall. Which is what happened last season - where she halted her pursuit of the throne to help the North. She also walked away from dead Drogo and her dead son - which I am sure is not an indication of her rejecting regular life. But of rejecting death.

In the books, Dany is tempted by many such visions in the house of the undying, but she knows that if she stays with those visions, she will die.

Maybe? But if she wins it then she won't be queen for long just until she has the kid and then death.

You have to read Song of Lya, the HOTU(watch the show version too), re-look at Dany's prophecy, look at the messages that GRRM puts through (history repeats itself and the tragedy of love) and GRRM's Beauty and the Beast thing to get it.

Go through all of GRRM's short stories and see how well any of his love stories end.

Just look at what happened to Lyanna, Rhaegar and Robert.

Expect a reworked version of that.

King Jon the Miserable with a baby and Tyrion and Daenerys dead. 

Other tidbits:

• No time travel in episode 1, 2 and 4: I don't think we are going to get time travel in the battle episodes of 3 and 5 as well. That leaves the finale for Bran to maybe do his time travel stuff.
  • The White Walker army will not be the only issue our characters have to face in season 8, they have to also face each other : More whinging from Sansa, conflicted Tyrion, Jaime Vs Starks, Jon/Dany parentage reveal.
  • To think of the Hound and Tormund and all those guys this last season was just magical: I would think that Tormund is not going to die in the opening episode and sticks around till atleast episode 3 for some major deaths in the WF battle.
  • Well, I have to say that you will see a direwolf in season 8: Since we know Ghost is present, no Nymeria?
  • [The final season] was a chance for a lot of characters to work together that hadn't worked together before," he wrote. "Or at least hadn't worked together in a long time. So there was a sense of discovery and appreciation : Jon - Arya, Sansa - Tyrion, Sansa - Hound, Arya - Hound, Arya - Gendry (characters who have not worked together in a long time) and Dany - Starks, Arya -Tyrion (characters who have not worked together before)
  • some wonderfully intimate scenes as well: Jon-Arya, Jon -Dany, Sansa - Tyrion, Arya - Gendry, Jaime-Brienne
Edited by anamika
  • Love 1

Well, I have to say that you will see a direwolf in season 8: Since we know Ghost is present, no Nymeria?

The way he expressed himself, with all the "I can't say more I'll leave it at that don't @ me anymore", I took it as "at least a direwolf". Which makes sense since a Nymeria comeback would be a big spoiler (cue GRRM's quote about her wolf pack).

From onset reports and pictures, we know that Melisandre will fight alongside the Stargaryen alliance and she's seen as an enemy, a threat or a disappointment by about everyone bar Beric. I think she definitely is one of the "working together" characters Nutter talked about. I'll have to be satisfied with Arya only throwing daggers at her with her eyes, I guess.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

From onset reports and pictures, we know that Melisandre will fight alongside the Stargaryen alliance and she's seen as an enemy, a threat or a disappointment by about everyone bar Beric. I think she definitely is one of the "working together" characters Nutter talked about. I'll have to be satisfied with Arya only throwing daggers at her with her eyes, I guess.

Damn, I totally forgot about Mel! I don't think Mel will go to WF considering Jon's threat of hanging her if she shows up there. She could show up in KL and be instrumental in the final battle. Did we get any onset reports and pictures of Carise? I think it was just speculation based on when she was in Belfast right?

Edited by anamika
33 minutes ago, anamika said:

Damn, I totally forgot about Mel! I don't think Mel will go to WF considering Jon's threat of hanging her if she shows up there. She could show up in KL and be instrumental in the final battle. Did we get any onset reports and pictures of Carise? I think it was just speculation based on when she was in Belfast right?

I think there were pictures of her (silhouette in red) on a horse when they were filming some battle scenes in the quarry. I don't remember which leaker took those pictures, I think it was WatchersOnMyBalls.

Edited by Happy Harpy

BoatsexBaby said Melisandre on a horse was one of the Magheramorne scenes that takes place in the final KL battle, for whatever it’s worth.

When it comes to maddeningly cryptic comments about the ending, no one can beat Joe Bauer (VFX), who said this a while ago:

“I thought it was really brave,” Bauer said of the ending of the series. “I thought it’d be interesting to see. It’s very true to what ‘Thrones’ is, and knowing how it ends, I don’t actually see how it could end any other way.

I think the whole series has aimed toward this. I obviously can’t say what it is. I think there will be divisions because people have grown to identify and like and hate various characters, so everybody has their version of how they want it to end based on those things, but looking at it objectively, I think the way it ends is the way it must end, so I’m just going to leave it at that.

If we assume that BoatsexBaby is right about a Jonerys baby being born in the epilogue (which, depending on whether more than nine months elapse between the finale and the epilogue, could guarantee Jon's survival past the final battle as well), then is Bauer alluding here to a Targ restoration endgame? Or to the destruction of the Iron Throne (with Jonerys maybe heading off somewhere to raise their kid in peace)?

The Onion has the best response to the teaser.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3

This just popped up on social media, posted on /Freefolk by /jorywea78 (from an extra who played a wildling on GOT). 

So the premiere date may be April 21st, 2019 and not April 28th after all. Maybe Big Little Lies has a double episode night for a season finale?

As noted on /Freefolk, that would align with this bit of weirdness from October:

If so, yay! We're only *checks calendar* 158 days away.

The Grand Central Station event I mentioned upthread will happen November 27th, according to the HBO PR folks (I guess EW was misinformed).

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

So around four more months. UGH. This season better not disappoint.

More like five months, but yeah, same.

...On the plus side, we've been waiting for well over a year already, so five more months isn't that much longer to wait.

The annoying part will be the wait for new footage, and we should have some kind of trailer by the beginning of March at the latest, going off the promotional schedule for Seasons 6 and 7. Once we get over the first trailer hump, the wait will be much more bearable.

With all that said, the trailers don't usually spoil anything other than battle scenes and hookups between minor characters, so I wouldn't expect much to be different for Season 8 trailers. Given how much hype the Winterfell battle has gotten in the EW article, I would expect a lot of footage from the trailers to focus on that.

Battle, battle, battle, VO of Jon blathering about everyone needing to band together to face the AOTD, sweeping shots of Winterfell, Dany on Drogon, Bran warging out, Cersei looking smug, randos and/or established couples making out, battle, battle, battle, angry Northern lords in the great hall ranting about something or other, pithy VO quote from Davos about how everyone's doomed, Arya brandishing Needle, battle, battle, battle, shot of the NK...There! I just spoiled the trailers for you. (Not really, but that's pretty much all I would expect.)

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

With all that said, the trailers don't usually spoil anything other than battle scenes and hookups between minor characters, so I wouldn't expect much to be different for Season 8 trailers. Given how much hype the Winterfell battle has gotten in the EW article, I would expect a lot of footage from the trailers to focus on that.

Battle, battle, battle, VO of Jon blathering about everyone needing to band together to face the AOTD, sweeping shots of Winterfell, Dany on Drogon, Bran warging out, Cersei looking smug, randos and/or established couples making out, battle, battle, battle, angry Northern lords in the great hall ranting about something or other, pithy VO quote from Davos about how everyone's doomed, Arya brandishing Needle, battle, battle, battle, shot of the NK...There! I just spoiled the trailers for you. (Not really, but that's pretty much all I would expect.)

LOL. Make it Arya brandishing Needle next to Gendry brandishing his hammer, or Jaime and Brienne back to back fighting and I will have infinite patience all of a sudden.

Agree about trailers not spoiling anything major. IIRC, they even erased the dragons from the shot of Tyrion on the cliffs at Dragonstone (7x06), for the S7 trailer. But we've been without even a bread crumb for months, so well.

Edited by Happy Harpy
22 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

LOL. Make it Arya brandishing Needle next to Gendry brandishing his hammer, or Jaime and Brienne back to back fighting and I will have infinite patience all of a sudden.

Agree about trailers not spoiling anything major. IIRC, they even erased the dragons from the shot of Tyrion on the cliffs at Dragonstone (7x06), for the S7 trailer. But we've been without even a bread crumb for months, so well.

Heh, Tyrion also got digitally erased from the Daznak Pit sequence for the S5 trailer. The usual GOT promotional narrative that certain characters on an incredibly obvious collision course are never going to interact with each other in the upcoming season must be maintained at all costs. Is Jaime ever going to see Brienne again? Who knows??? (He will.) Are Sansa and Tyrion ever going to see each other again? It's a mystery!!! (It isn't.) Will Bran get the chance to speak with Jon? Who can say??? (I can.) I'm honestly surprised they even included the clip in the August promotional video of Jon and Sansa meeting again. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I'm honestly surprised they even included the clip in the August promotional video of Jon and Sansa meeting again. 

Well, if they didn't bother to hide it, I have no choice but to conclude it's because it's the most irrelevant relationship of all...*whistles*

I forgot about the Daznak Pit trailer. Probably because those glorious set pictures showing Tyrion there and OMG Dany and Tyrion meet confirmed! are all I remember, LOL. They were the first wow factor leak as far as I recall. 

I thought about the beginning of 8x01 with Dany's arrival, and I would love it if Arya had Littlefinger's body hanged in the courtyard with a board reading "I betrayed the Starks". Hell of a warning, very much in Arya's style. It would allow my wish to see Varys pull a Vir Cotto in front of LF's body come true.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Well, if they didn't bother to hide it, I have no choice but to conclude it's because it's the most irrelevant relationship of all...*whistles*

I forgot about the Daznak Pit trailer. Probably because those glorious set pictures showing Tyrion there and OMG Dany and Tyrion meet confirmed! are all I remember, LOL. They were the first wow factor leak as far as I recall. 

I thought about the beginning of 8x01 with Dany's arrival, and I would love it if Arya had Littlefinger's body hanged in the courtyard with a board reading "I betrayed the Starks". Hell of a warning, very much in Arya's style. It would allow my wish to see Varys pull a Vir Cotto in front of LF's body come true.

Hee. I have no doubt HBO is saving the good reunions for the show. If the writers manage to fuck up Jon’s reunion with Arya, I’m going to be so mad.

No matter what happens this season with Tyrion, I can’t wait to see Tyrion and Sansa meeting again, though. Most anticipated reunion for me (after Jon/Arya, that is). It’s going to be so delightfully messy! (The EW article talking about some of the characters reuniting at Winterfell having “messy histories” was almost certainly a reference to them.) Can’t wait!

I certainly hope we get some kind of reaction from Varys and Tyrion about Littlefinger’s fate, given how the show played up Varys and Littlefinger’s rivalry and how the show reminded us that Littlefinger framed Tyrion for the attempt on Bran’s life. I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers glossed over that bit, though.

• Love 1

Say what you will about Jon/Sansa, but their reunion was one of the most well-done set of scenes in season 6. It was so heartfelt, particularly the scene of them talking, reminiscing about the old days. That’s the kind of character moment I’d pay to see more of on this show. The Sansa/Arya reunion was a bit of a disappointment by comparison, so If D&D can do justice to Jon/Arya I’ll be so pleased. I have a feeling it will get lost somewhere in “dragons White Walkers Targaryen baby Winterfell battle.” But who knows? Maybe they’ll surprise me.

• Love 8
On 14/11/2018 at 3:35 AM, anamika said:

I think it can be interpreted as both. Dany in the show has never been shown to have a desire for settling down and living an easygoing life. She never reminisces on being unable to have a child beyond off-handedly mentioning it to the khals and telling Jon (for possible foreshadowing). Tyrion even comments on her lack of foresight in never thinking of an heir. Dany doesn't spend much time talking about Drogo, and unlike her book counterpart, she's never shown to be in love with Daario and has no difficulty leaving him to pursue her ambitions. She never reminisces fondly of the House with the Red Door or being a carefree kid. Like Nutter said, show!Dany very much feels that it's her destiny to be a revolutionary, while book!Dany seems to accept that her main contribution has been death and destruction and that "dragons plant no trees." Every season has Dany come up with some variation of "I'll break the wheel and save everyone." Even at the end of the latest season, after having witnessed literal ice zombies, the conquest for the Iron Throne has just been postponed, and not canceled. The conquest of Westeros is still in the background of her mind.

I know shippers want Jon and Dany to either rule Westeros together or walk away to live in peace, but the former is Dany's ambition and the latter is Jon's, as seen by his state of mind post-season four. Jon would be absolutely miserable spending the rest of his life in the south, dealing with corruption and lies and treachery. And Dany too would be miserable walking away from, what Nutter called it, what she feels is her destiny to revolutionize the world. Besides, I think it'd be a great disservice to her character to suddenly reduce her to a wife and mother and ignore her ambitions because love changed her? Jon walking away? Sure. He almost did that in season six. But Dany? Since when? 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

I think it can be interpreted as both. Dany in the show has never been shown to have a desire for settling down and living an easygoing life. She never reminisces on being unable to have a child beyond off-handedly mentioning it to the khals and telling Jon (for possible foreshadowing). Tyrion even comments on her lack of foresight in never thinking of an heir. Dany doesn't spend much time talking about Drogo, and unlike her book counterpart, she's never shown to be in love with Daario and has no difficulty leaving him to pursue her ambitions. She never reminisces fondly of the House with the Red Door or being a carefree kid.

Maybe because it's the show and the writing on the show is not too deep with regards to such aspects?

Jon was literally resurrected and we don't see him talk to Sansa about coming back to life, about their siblings, or about the WW? In the books, Jon thinks of Arya in almost every chapter and ends up dying trying to save her from Ramsay. On the show, he has not mentioned her once in 7 seasons after they parted ways in season one. Arya thinks of home, Ned and Jon very often and needle is representative of family and identity. Book Arya has a lot of emotions, is sad and scared and remorseful and guilty and conflicted. On the show none of that exists because we don't get her POV on this. She's just a killer.

So, using the show to talk about how Dany is only obsessed about the throne because she does not talk about having a child or the house with the red door is a bit of a stretch. She is not discussing a heir because she wants to focus on that after getting the throne. Is she single minded in winning the throne? Of course. But I don't see anything wrong with being ambitious and wanting that. And as we saw last season - she was able to put aside something she worked towards for 7 seasons for the greater good. And that's praiseworthy indeed.

Like Nutter said, show!Dany very much feels that it's her destiny to be a revolutionary, while book!Dany seems to accept that her main contribution has been death and destruction and that "dragons plant no trees.

When has book Dany accepted that her main contribution has been death and destruction in the books? Can you point out the relevant part from the books? She has accepted that she made mistakes and feels remorse about the destruction done to the cities she tried to rescue from the slavers. And that is a good thing in a ruler who can introspect and accept her mistakes and make changes - as she did when she finally sued for peace. But how has freeing slaves from a horrible existence made death and destruction Dany's main contribution?

And yes, in the desert Dany does think about how a dragon plants no trees - similar to Olenna telling Dany to be a dragon. And I guess when she gets to westeros in the books and has a Dance of Dragons 2.0 with fAegon, she will be just as merciless as she was with the Lannister army/Tarlys on the show (I suspect Aegon takes out Cersei in KL and becomes king). And just like on the show, I think when Jon asks for help, she will help the North.

Even at the end of the latest season, after having witnessed literal ice zombies, the conquest for the Iron Throne has just been postponed, and not canceled. The conquest of Westeros is still in the background of her mind.

I am not sure why this is wrong? There will still be the 7K after ice zombies and it still has to be ruled. Cersei is squatting in KL trying to attack everyone with her army and her mercenaries. The Iron Throne and the 7K is Dany's birthright just as Winterfell is for the Starks. So why should she not focus on getting back what is hers?

As pointed out earlier, the 7K has always been the Norm. Ned enforced Robert's rule as king of the 7K by taking child hostages to ensure loyalty from rebel kingdoms. The Starks also took back WF from the Warden of the North appointed by the Lannisters.  Do you think Cersei will just ignore the Starks up North if Dany goes away?

As Tyrion points out to Dany, the Starks have more reason to hate Cersei than Dany herself. So why should not the Starks combine forces with Dany to take Cersei down?

I know shippers want Jon and Dany to either rule Westeros together or walk away to live in peace, but the former is Dany's ambition and the latter is Jon's, as seen by his state of mind post-season four. Jon would be absolutely miserable spending the rest of his life in the south, dealing with corruption and lies and treachery.

I am not generally into shipping and all that. But I do think Jon/Dany go well together and as mentioned earlier almost parallel Alysanne and Jaehaerys. Book Jon is a thinker, politically savvy, pragmatic and smart. He reads books, does science experiments (wights in ice cells), is a reformist (Wildlings, green houses, getting women to train and fight etc.). But he lacks charisma and is unable to inspire people. So while Jon was saying all the right things at the wall in ADwD, he was not able to convince the mutineers that what he was doing was the right thing.

Dany on the other hand is an inspirational, charismatic leader who is able to get the masses to follow her in whatever she does. She's the mother of dragons, the breaker of chains. She's a conqueror and can convince people to join her using her firepower. She's also a reformist - saving women from rape, freeing the slaves, breaking barriers.

Jon and Dany together would be a good combination in the books. Like Jaehaerys, Jon takes care of the boring paper work and like Alysanne, Dany gets the people to follow them. Even on the show last season, the word together was emphasized again and again with respect to them. We had this beautiful shot of them (Ice and Fire) walking together.

anigif_sub-buzz-23429-1503296852-1.gif

I think that Jon would be happy with Dany and their child. I think he would be miserable if Dany dies and he is stuck ruling alone. There is foreshadowing on the show and in the books that Jon's life may not be all together happy in the future if he survives.

Besides, I think it'd be a great disservice to her character to suddenly reduce her to a wife and mother and ignore her ambitions because love changed her? Jon walking away? Sure. He almost did that in season six. But Dany? Since when? 

If she dies in childbirth or is fridged as Nissa Nissa then yes, I would agree that would be a great disservice to her character. Trying to get to the Iron Throne through hard work for seven seasons only to die to service Jon's character and give birth to a child? Ugh.

But other than that, a powerful leader can also be a mother and a wife. Catelyn was one of the most powerful leaders in the North - Ned put her in charge of ruling WF while he was hand of the king. She was Robb's adviser. And a loving mother and wife.  Dany would not be sacrificing her personal ambitions to be a wife and a mother. Dany is also no longer the last Targaryen, she is no longer alone and she can have a child. If Dany knows that Jon is her brother's son and has more of a claim to the throne than her, it may change the way she views things.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 12

Makinggameofthrones.com posted a Relive the Journey mix of videos, quotes and artwork about Tyrion’s arc in seasons 1 through 7. I think we can probably expect to see similar posts for the other GOT main characters. 

22 hours ago, Eyes High said:

...On the plus side, we've been waiting for well over a year already, so five more months isn't that much longer to wait.

YES IT IS!!! *ahem* I'm sorry. apologies. If I may quote from some random townsperson in the Meeting Hall scene in Jaws, "3 weeks feels like 3 years!"

• Love 1
8 hours ago, anamika said:

On the show none of that exists because we don't get her POV on this. She's just a killer.

Disagree. Arya in the show, is much more than a killer. She struggles constantly with her own feelings. There are such scenes like this in 3.9, 4.7, 5.3, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 7.2 ...and many more episodes before and after those I mentioned.

Edited by OhOkayWhat
  • Love 2

https://youtu.be/kFV4o5GeaJQ

“Aegon finally decided to take over Westeros, and unify the Seven Kingdoms (that existed at the time) under a single rule. There is a lot of speculation that, in some sense, he saw what was coming 300 years later, and wanted to unify the Seven Kingdoms to be better prepared for the threat that he eventually saw coming from the North – the threat that we’re dealing with in A Song of Ice and Fire.” –GRRM

Interesting... And it makes the case for why an union is better than independent kingdoms for facing this threat.

Though one has to wonder if Robert's shoddy rule leading to the disintegration of the 7K is what led to the Others and the AOTD marching on Westeros at this point of time.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, anamika said:

https://youtu.be/kFV4o5GeaJQ

Interesting... And it makes the case for why an union is better than independent kingdoms for facing this threat.

Though one has to wonder if Robert's shoddy rule leading to the disintegration of the 7K is what led to the Others and the AOTD marching on Westeros at this point of time.

You know.. with his Fire and Blood release, his Targareyn appreciation month, and now this, GRRM seems to literally be hitting us in the face with the fact that he adores the Targareyns. ??? Now  according to this Aegon possibly foresaw the coming apocalypse and tried to unify the 7K ? If I was gambling person I would say we are definitely headed for Targaryen Restoration endgame.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, GraceK said:

You know.. with his Fire and Blood release, his Targareyn appreciation month, and now this, GRRM seems to literally be hitting us in the face with the fact that he adores the Targareyns. ??? Now  according to this Aegon possibly foresaw the coming apocalypse and tried to unify the 7K ? If I was gambling person I would say we are definitely headed for Targaryen Restoration endgame.

Agreed! GRRM isn’t even being coy about it.

On another note, I was going through some of the Twitter feeds that had GOT filming location information in Northern Ireland this year (GotLikeLocation, a_red_priestess), and I noticed GotLikeLocation (GLL) posting about rumours that the very last scene of the show was filmed in Randalstown on Thursday, March 29th. So I thought I would dig through their posts about it.

This was a one-day shoot. GLL later posted pics of this filming and some of the props used. Apparently, there were horses, extras, and at least two main characters involved. The area was lightly dusted with some fake snow, with plenty of green still visible. (Compare this to the amount of snow in the scene in the woods where Bran and Meera are chased by wights.) GLL also got a picture of one of the prop vans, and there was a sleigh that looked similar to Bran's. There was also apparently artificial fog used at the filming site. You can see the photos here:

And here:

This seems to be something separate from the March Saintfield filming, which was night shoots related to the Winterfell battle as far as we know (and Saintfield is in a different area). So what was being filmed? And who was there?

A number of leading cast members were spotted in Belfast that week: Gwen, Emilia, Maisie and Sophie were all seen at the beginning of the week, as were Isaac and John Bradley. Daniel Portman even seemed to be back for filming (he had shaved his beard). However, Maisie and Sophie had already left Belfast by March 28th. 

Architectural Digest claimed that Emilia filmed Dany's last scenes for GOT in Dubrovnik, which, if they're correct and if the rumours are also accurate, would mean that the last scene of GOT doesn't involve Dany.

It sounds like Bran is in the scene, given the sleigh, but there are supposedly two main characters in the scene. Who's the other one, Jon? It would make sense for Bran to have the last scene of the show, considering the first POV was Bran's.

And of course we can remember what GRRM told Daniel Abraham (writer of the comic adaptation of AGOT) that there was a line from AGOT that was relevant to the very last scene of ADOS that he needed to include, a line that according to Daniel Abraham didn't seem that important. So if the very last scene involves Bran, what is the line?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2018 at 7:48 PM, anamika said:

Other tidbits:

• No time travel in episode 1, 2 and 4: I don't think we are going to get time travel in the battle episodes of 3 and 5 as well. That leaves the finale for Bran to maybe do his time travel stuff.
  • The White Walker army will not be the only issue our characters have to face in season 8, they have to also face each other : More whinging from Sansa, conflicted Tyrion, Jaime Vs Starks, Jon/Dany parentage reveal.
  • To think of the Hound and Tormund and all those guys this last season was just magical: I would think that Tormund is not going to die in the opening episode and sticks around till atleast episode 3 for some major deaths in the WF battle.
  • Well, I have to say that you will see a direwolf in season 8: Since we know Ghost is present, no Nymeria?
  • [The final season] was a chance for a lot of characters to work together that hadn't worked together before," he wrote. "Or at least hadn't worked together in a long time. So there was a sense of discovery and appreciation : Jon - Arya, Sansa - Tyrion, Sansa - Hound, Arya - Hound, Arya - Gendry (characters who have not worked together in a long time) and Dany - Starks, Arya -Tyrion (characters who have not worked together before)
  • some wonderfully intimate scenes as well: Jon-Arya, Jon -Dany, Sansa - Tyrion, Arya - Gendry, Jaime-Brienne

Is it wrong that I wish/hope one of those "wonderfully intimate scenes" would involve Sansa and Dany, where they get over their mutual suspicions and look at the hardships they both endured in order to get where they are?

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

It sounds like Bran is in the scene, given the sleigh, but there are supposedly two main characters in the scene. Who's the other one, Jon? It would make sense for Bran to have the last scene of the show, considering the first POV was Bran's.

Sam? He's pretty much a main character as well at this point. Could be Sam and Bran stick together on the show - the 3ER/Lord of Winterfell/Warden of the North and his future Maester of WF.

“What I think links those two characters is that they’re both characters who are in possession of abilities and skills that nobody else has,” Bradley told TV Guide in a recent interview. “Between them, they’re such a formidable team because … both of their set of skills are so unique. Sam’s penchant for absorbing knowledge and absorbing academia and his wish to apply that for the greater good combined with Bran’s visions and supernatural skills means that between the two of them, it is a real recipe for success.”

Bradley believes that the duo have far more to contribute to the endgame in Westeros, and teased that viewers shouldn’t “write them off” as a partnership.

“Between them, they can use their own and each others’ skills to really shake the place up a bit as we go forward,” he said.

http://watchersonthewall.com/john-bradley-hints-sam-bran-will-remain-formidable-team-season-8/

59 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

And of course we can remember what GRRM told Daniel Abraham (writer of the comic adaptation of AGOT) that there was a line from AGOT that was relevant to the very last scene of ADOS that he needed to include, a line that according to Daniel Abraham didn't seem that important. So if the very last scene involves Bran, what is the line?

Should this line not involve Tyrion since this line apparently gave away Tyrion's endgame to Daniel Abraham?

If it's Bran line, then it should be early on in the series. Maybe a line of dialogue from all the wisdom imparted by Ned to Bran (man who passes the sentence, only time a man can be brave etc.). If it involves Bran and Tyrion then we have :

“You will,” the dwarf told him. “And I swear to you, boy, on horseback you will be as tall as any of them.”

If it's Jon and Bran then of course, we first see Jon through Bran's POV and he says many things about Jon.

I wonder if the last scene mirrors the first one with Bran as Warden and Lord of WF executing someone - man who passes the sentence, swings the sword.

If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. “One day, Bran, you will be Robb’s bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.”

It could be that Bran is looking someone in the eye and executing that person...

I think I mentioned it on here before, but long back there was a theory that after Jon wins the fight against the Others, he would still be considered a deserter from the NW. And the last scene would be Bran executing Jon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

s it wrong that I wish/hope one of those "wonderfully intimate scenes" would involve Sansa and Dany, where they get over their mutual suspicions and look at the hardships they both endured in order to get where they are?

It’s not wrong. I am sick to death of certain portions of the fandom pitting these two against each other and I would love if they became friendly. They have a lot in common and should get along. ( that would be really subversive ?)

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is it wrong that I wish/hope one of those "wonderfully intimate scenes" would involve Sansa and Dany,

Go on...

where they get over their mutual suspicions and look at the hardships they both endured in order to get where they are?

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

...In all seriousness, "wonderfully intimate" scenes Nutter was discussing need not include sex, although I'd be surprised if there wasn't a single sex scene in Season 8. And as for Sansa and Dany, they have a lot in common, so it would be nice if that were to be reflected in the writing.

45 minutes ago, anamika said:

Sam? He's pretty much a main character as well at this point. Could be Sam and Bran stick together on the show - the 3ER/Lord of Winterfell/Warden of the North and his future Maester of WF.

I thought of Sam, but I had his endgame pegged for Lord of the Reach, so I don't know what he would be doing up north with Bran in the epilogue.

Should this line not involve Tyrion since this line apparently gave away Tyrion's endgame to Daniel Abraham?

Well, we know that Daniel Abraham knows Tyrion's ending and that there's a line in AGOT that is relevant to the very last scene of ADOS. Those two facts are not necessarily related, unless you think that Tyrion's endgame will be revealed in the very last scene of ADOS.

I wonder if the last scene mirrors the first one with Bran as Warden and Lord of WF executing someone - man who passes the sentence, swings the sword.

It could be that Bran is looking someone in the eye and executing that person...

Well, if you think it's Bran executing Tyrion for treason as he is apparently judged guilty as his trial as Frikidoctor claims, it could be the case, although if Jon is the one who condemns Tyrion for treason (being the sovereign, I assume), I don't know why Bran would be executing Tyrion. Also, the line from AGOT about Tyrion thinking of the howl of the direwolf putting one in the forest running naked before the pack is not in the comic adaptation of AGOT.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1