Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty Anticipation

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, starri said:

At least they don't have to half-ass Steven's orientation this time?

At this point it would be weird if they did.

The trailer was ok. It seems a fairly generic rich people soap so far but hey Gossip Girl lasted for 7 seasons of that so.....

I don't really give a shit that it's a Dynasty carry on though.

I think this looks really promising. I like that they decided to simplify things and start from the underrated first season of the original series. I personally feel however iconic, the show went downhill with Alexis. Her first season was excellent, but after that it was just terrible and trying to top the previous stunt storyline. They have a good setup here and it looks like they've infused some fun into it. I look forward to seeing the first couple episodes so I can get a better look at The Colbys and how they're presented. I'm also curious about Claudia and Matthew Blaisdel, especially Matthew who I found to be a snooze during the original. It'll also be interesting to see how they use Alexis when she inevitably shows up.

• Love 1

the show went downhill with Alexis. Her first season was excellent, but after that it was just terrible

Personally, I think seasons 2 to 5 are the best of the original. Season 1 was good, but never quite hit the high marks that came later.

I wonder if the show even needs Alexis? If both Cristal and Fallon are going to be bitches-on-wheels, does the show really need a third? I feel you need at least one good person to balance it all out.

• Love 2

Well I watched the trailer and if they're expecting Elizabeth's Fallon to carry the weight of Alexis, they're in for a shock.  She's horrible.  I mean - HORRID.  Cristal is the only thing that saved the trailer for me - I wish they'd cast someone else as Fallon.

They will definitely need Alexis and Dominique to show up to keep my interest.  Fallon is awfully bland compared to Cristal.  I wonder if they did some kind of personality swap?  Cristal seems a lot more edgy and sarcastic and able to hold her own.  Fallon looks more like she's the main character so they're trying to make her bitchy but "the one to root for" and in the end I just found her boring and the actress unable to keep up.  

I'm guessing (or at least hoping) that the trailer is  some kind of fake out and Cristal isn't going to be completely changed into a totally shifty character.  Original Krystal wasn't totally passive towards Fallon's jabs and she was still torn over Matthew.  Conceivably they've just amped up those elements without making her a complete scheming bitch.

I agree Fallon is awful.  From that clip, she can't act for shit.  

I'm not too crazy about the Fallon actress either, but I'm hoping she'll settle into the role. TV Line did a review of the pilot and said it felt like the clothes were wearing her and not the other way around. She still has work to do. Also, Monica Colby from The Colbys and season 9 will be appearing on the new show. She'll now be called Monique Colby and she's Jeff's sister. I can't wait to watch the first couple episodes to see how they've laid out the Colby family. We don't have as much info on them as we do the Carrington's.

I wonder if the show even needs Alexis? If both Cristal and Fallon are going to be bitches-on-wheels, does the show really need a third? I feel you need at least one good person to balance it all out.

I can't imagine going to the trouble of reviving Dynasty if you have no intention of revisiting the character of Alexis.   To me that would be like if they rebooted Dallas, but decided that they didn't need JR.   

• Love 2
On 5/25/2017 at 10:46 AM, starri said:

At least they don't have to half-ass Steven's orientation this time?

Well, Sammy Jo now being a dude means no "gay dude knocks up a gal" plot, hopefully.

I've fancast Melinda Clarke so hard as Alexis that I know I'll be disappointed with whoever they decide on.

Well, Sammy Jo now being a dude means no "gay dude knocks up a gal" plot, hopefully.

Yeah, but it did lead to some good scenes and storylines.

I wonder if the new series will give us something as ridiculously over the top and campy as this.

• Love 1

I watched the trailer, and this show looks horrific.  People tuned in to the "Dallas" reboot because of the legacy characters played by the original actors Larry Hagman, Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy.  This new "Dynasty" seemingly has none of the camp or excess or glamour of the original series.  And most of all, apparently none of the original stars.  They've simply created a brand new show using some of the same character names and general plot of the last time around.  At the very least, they could used the iconic theme music in the trailer.  The trailer makes the show look like a generic 2017 CW show.  Pretty faces loving and hating on each other along with some vague business/political/social intrigue.

The actress who plays Fallon is apparently supposed to be the star, since she featured in 80% of the scenes in the trailer I saw.  She is a thoroughly terrible actress.

I would not at all be surprised if this show is one of the first cancellations of the season.  Then again, it's on CW, which let "No Tomorrow" ride out the season despite negative ratings, so this show might last one season.  I think it will get the same reception that the "Melrose Place" reboot got and fade quickly.

• Love 1

Yeah but Melrose Place, like Dallas, was more of a sequel then a reboot (with more than a few of the older characters appearing in some form or another). Granted, I think people toss the word reboot around a bit too liberally, but that's a discussion for another forum...

I do like this being more of a reboot than a sequel. I think part of the problem with Dallas 2.0 was that with the original characters there it was harder to make an independent connection with the new ones, they were always there to compare. And Larry Hagman passing away was difficult to get over (it would have been for the original show as well).  

On 7/11/2017 at 4:16 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I've fancast Melinda Clarke so hard as Alexis that I know I'll be disappointed with whoever they decide on.

Ehh...you never know.  Sperm donor?

Since they're changing characters even to the point of gender, they should introduce Dominique as Dominic, her handsome, classy, well-dressed grandson who can sing his ass off, and inherits her fortune/record companies. But what actor is available to cover all of this? I would've gone with Terrell Carter, but he's going to be on Empire this fall.

20479611_1477441925681513_3257503533371090574_n.jpg

I didn't mind that, if only because it led to some good stories and confrontation between the characters.

Since they're changing characters even to the point of gender, they should introduce Dominique as Dominic, her handsome, classy, well-dressed grandson who can sing his ass off, and inherits her fortune/record companies.

I'm not sure if that would work; this is a reboot, not a sequel. I mean, he could still be introduced as Dominic and be tied to the music business. But so far, there is no "Dominique" on this version that I am aware of. Of course, part of the appeal of the original Dominique was that she was a self-made women, one of the few actually on the original show. They do seem to have transferred that aspect of her character onto Jeff 2.0.

They could still introduce the character, though instead of being a bastard sibling of Blake, maybe a bastard son of Blake instead?

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 1

I am excited for this show.  I wasn't old enough to watch the original - I wasn't even 10 when it went off the air - but knew it existed.  I had a vague recollection of some of the actors and characters as well.  Any other "Xennial" here feel the same?

I’ve seen the previews and it looks painfully awful. I watched the original (I’m 52) and, there is nothing Dynasty about this. They’re making them years younger for the hopefull demographic to watch. Their demographic weren’t even alive when the original Dynasty was on. That said, Grant Show has found the fountain of youth. John Forsthye was 63 when the original Dynasty aired but looked older. I may watch the first few minutes to see if they have real opening credits. If it’s not an intro of men in tuxes and woman draped in furs then I’m out. LOL!,,