Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E07: Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Alan Cumming, Sheryl Crow

• Start Topic

Among the guests on Graham's sofa are Oscar winner Nicole Kidman, starring in Civil War drama The Beguiled; musician Keith Urban; theatre and screen star Alan Cumming, talking about his memoir You Gotta Get Bigger Dreams; and singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow, who performs Be Myself.

(edited)

How can a show with Alan Cumming on it be so dull? And it wasn't him, it's just that Kidman is so subdued and demure that she brings the energy down. (I actually think she is intelligent and thoughtful, just very shy.)

Sheryl Crow has been pumping out that bland television-commercial jingle pop for 20 years now. Feh.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

How can a show with Alan Cumming on it be so dull? And it wasn't him, it's just that Kidman is so subdued and demure that she brings the energy down. (I actually think she is intelligent and thoughtful, just very shy.)

Sheryl Crow has been pumping out that bland television-commercial jingle pop for 20 years now. Feh.

I agree, dull.... I don't like Nicole Kidman though, there is just something about her..I can't put my finger on it. Although I do think she's a pretty good actress and I like the latest HBO series. My God she has had a lot of work done. Was she wearing a wig?

Didn't really enjoy the quip about the girls weekend to wherever the hell it was. And I know, that's nothing compared to all the riches these people have amassed.  Maybe it's because I was just reading about how much poverty there is in this country it's bound to get worse. 

Sheryl Crow blah, Nicoles husband, blah. 

(edited)

I thought the energy level of the show was fine.

The Ryan Gosling kiss story was so sad. I have a hard time believing no one wanted to bid on that, but I guess the Cannes crowd is a tough one. Maybe it was before Gosling had hit it so big?

Nicole is kind of a priss, and I can't decide if I find it amusing or annoying. ETA: Graham would never ask, but I really want to know if Nicole and Katie Holmes ever text. 

Keith Urban is aggressively spray-tanned, and I definitely find that amusing. He was pretty charming.

The songs were rather forgettable, but it's nice to see Sporty Spice.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I don't think it's because no one wanted to bid; I think it's because they started the bidding so high. And I mean, I get it if he weren't willing to do it if it were going to raise less for the charity, but that's a really high dollar amount to start with, so to me it made it less shocking that the story ended in no one bidding.

• Love 2

Has Keith Urban had a lot of cosmetic work done? He looked almost feminine with how smooth his skin was. He was much better looking in the tight-jeans photo, with a face that showed some character.

Is Nicole Kidman really that prudish? I found her constant gasps annoying every time Alan Cumming made a mildly risque comment.

I was really surprised that he's not a good storyteller. That Oprah story was boring (at least until the end).

• Love 1

Urban to my eye looks like he's had some fillers done.

I suspect Kidman may be that prudish, if not in general, when on a chat show certainly. Like, if they'd just been in a room chatting, I don't think she'd have reacted quite the same way (although who knows, maybe), but she's always super reserved on chat shows. I mean, of course she must have seen one before and known that plenty of other people are not, but that's how it struck me watching, that it was sort of a "but we're on a show" kind of reaction.

19 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Urban to my eye looks like he's had some fillers done.

He looks to my untrained eye like he's been substantially refinished.  Actually kind of hard to look at.

And that stringy hair.  What had they done to it in the picture of him when he was younger?  And how do people who've had work done feel when people look at old pictures and remark how they're unrecognizable?

• Love 1

I read Cummings's memoir from a couple of years ago (not the one he was pimping here), and I loved it. Very moving, well told. So yeah, I expected that he would shine on the couch more than he did.

I don't get how an Aussie dude bothers with that Nashville twang when he sings, but I guess I don't have to. It's always nice to see a couple that digs each other like Kidman and Urban obviously do.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, attica said:

It's always nice to see a couple that digs each other like Kidman and Urban obviously do.

It's okay to be happy one of the perks of your job is spending the day sponge-bathing Colin Farrell. No one is going to think that automatically means you're cheating on Keith, Nicole.

• Love 2

Nicole Kidman is a notoriously bad talk show guest. Her appearances on Letterman back in the day were painful. But I have seen her one-on-one on Charlie Rose (also a benefit for her - no audience) and she was fine. And in her print interviews she comes off as well-read and thoughtful. But at the end of the day, yeah, she is not good on these kinds of shows. It does look tho that she tries, she's just too reserved. 

I have heard Alan Cumming tell the Oprah story in a podcast when he was publicizing his book and it came off a lot better. This might have been an off-night for everyone.

(edited)

I like Kidman a lot, despite my whining about her. She was a very good sport about the Dolly photos last time she was on. It's not as if Graham was picking on her exclusively. He does that all that time. But then she gets all touchy this time when he mentioned it. She needs to unclench a bit. 

Edited by dubbel zout
19 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Has Keith Urban had a lot of cosmetic work done? He looked almost feminine with how smooth his skin was. He was much better looking in the tight-jeans photo, with a face that showed some character.

I've always thought he wasn't that attractive. Maybe now his unappealing look has to do with facial work. I've always disliked his hair.

I thought Alan's Oprah story was good. I hadn't heard it before, but the way it came across to me was as if it were written. Maybe Cumming is just one of those people who speak that way. I'm not criticizing, btw; I think it's admirable when a person shows his intelligence in a casual way.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, dubbel zout said:

The Ryan Gosling kiss story was so sad. I have a hard time believing no one wanted to bid on that, but I guess the Cannes crowd is a tough one. Maybe it was before Gosling had hit it so big?

$40k is a LOT to ask for as an opening bid on kissing someone. I like Gosling, but the only way I'd pay that kind of cash for anything from him is if I needed a kidney transplant and he were a perfect donor match.

• Love 3

The Oprah story made me think of last summer when I ran into my teenage guitar hero and blurted out, "I love you!" and he responded, "You need better taste in men."

• Love 3

That particular amfAR dinner is known for raising a lot of money. I wonder when in the raffle Gosling's kiss was scheduled. I could see it not working toward the beginning, before people have really gotten into the spirit of things.

I was amused to hear the red chair person's story about her wardrobe malfunction, in that everyone called the top a boob tube, rather than tube top. Do they market them as boob tubes in the UK or is that just slang?

20 minutes ago, attica said:

I was amused to hear the red chair person's story about her wardrobe malfunction, in that everyone called the top a boob tube, rather than tube top. Do they market them as boob tubes in the UK or is that just slang?

Colloquialism/slang. I have heard it in UK and other UK shows. I don't know I've seen it advertised as such. 

On 5/30/2017 at 7:52 AM, Qoass said:

The Oprah story made me think of last summer when I ran into my teenage guitar hero and blurted out, "I love you!" and he responded, "You need better taste in men."

Oh, please say who!