Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: A Faire to Remember

My show is ending and the family may not stay together.   Sniff, sniff.

But OW that anvil hurt "when you love someone you want to see them happy."   While Myka is bitching about giving her life to the Warehouse and not being able to find someone.  Okay she was possessed but still ...

I love AS singing.   But oh gee singing one last song with your sister before she goes into a coma to save others is just heartbreaking.  And boy has Claudia done a lot.  Saved her brother from an interdimensional vortex, brought Jinks back to life.   If anyone can find a way to save her sister, she will.

When did Jinksie become such a sourpuss.   "I want to be an FBI agent."  FBI agent, Knight, comme si, comme sa.  Did coming back from the dead remove his funny bone?  Loosen up dude and have some fun.   It won't kill you.   Really it won't.   

Because it can't be said enough "Dear god what is up with Pete's hair?"   Did no one involved in the entire production comment on it when he came back from hiatus?

Ha, I loved the FNL reference too! I loved that one of the first things Claire lamented after accepting that 15 years had passed was that she missed the Garbage concert.

It's the final season so I wish they would quit splitting up the team so the episode will have an A plot and a B plot. There are only three episodes left so can't we have them all together?

So, they mention Claudia being in an institution, but not her brother? And her sister didn't ask about their brother either. WTH?!? Maybe the timeline didn't get reset right and now she has a sister instead of brother. That's the only thing that would make sense at this point.

And can we stop with the strong focus on Claudia and her heavy-handed angst and issues. This is not the Claudia show. This is an ensemble. And stop shoe-horning her singing into the show please. I hate when shows do that to please their cast or to show off the actor's other talents. I hated it on Designing Women, I hate it here. I think she should take more a backseat for the rest of the season. It's been a short season, there's only 3 episodes left, and she's been the focus of too much already.

On a positive note, I thought Myka looked great. And I liked the hug between Myka and Artie.

• Love 3

Can there be an artifact that erases "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" from existence?  I heard it enough in 1998 to last 7 lifetimes, I didn't need to hear Claudia and Claire singing it in this episode.

Pete and Jinks are really a fun team.  Of course, any combination of these characters leads to a fun team.  And poor Pete, he gets the beautiful princess, only to hear that Fran Drescher voice.  At least he got to say "Hey hey hey" before that.

The family better stay together at the end.  It has to happen.  The writers have to know, that's what the fans want.  They can't pull a How I Met Your Mother bullshit ending.

and Alphas

This made me ridiculously happy & slightly sad.

Because it can't be said enough "Dear god what is up with Pete's hair?"

It's almost a character into itself. Hey look there's Pete & there's Pete's hair.

This episode was just ok IMO, but since it's the farewell tour & I'm nostalgic, I'm happy with it anyway.

• Love 1

A day behind... I picked out Ryan Cartwright immediately. Loved him on Bones, loved him on Alphas. And joined by Erin Kay also from Alphas. Digging seeing the familiar faces. And I loved the how cute their story was. 

Also dig Pete telling the pawn "You know they're just using you"

I rather liked Claudia's sister. I didn't care for her introduction, but she's been cast well and her dialogue is pretty good. I enjoyed the bonding between her and Claudia and I liked how well the story was resolved instead of dragged out. 

Finally!  It only took 5 seasons, but the main characters have finally learned they shouldn't keep secrets from each other.  How many people have died over the years because the Warehouse crew refused to actually talk to each other?

The Renaissance Fair plot didn't entertain me.  Maybe because they did the thing from Law and Order where despite some officials investigating a death/murder, witnesses can't be bothered to take it seriously.  Why have an interview with the cops when you can show them your annoying ventriloquist skills or make them dunk you first?

Best episode in years, IMO. Why do shows always get good after they are canceled?

Okay. Possible explanation. This was written and shot after they were canceled, right? So this is sort of like they're all auditioning either for themselves or on behalf of those involved with the show who don't have new gigs yet.

The Sister Act singing duet, for instance, is ready to go on the road.

And Aaron Ashmore is ready to take the lead in a comedy involving lots of physical stuff.

And the emotional side of Saul Rubinek.

And they also shared the stage with whoever played the Gypsy grandmother. Great job. Don't know who she is, but I wouldn't be surprised to read in the future that someone saw her here and used her in a similar role--hopefully more than a cameo one-off.

Did love the pawn one liner.

I thought the princess sounded more like the character of Janice from Friends than Fran Drescher.

Edited by shapeshifter

I thought the princess sounded more like the character of Janice from Friends than Fran Drescher.

Yep. Me too. And it made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Good stuff.

I stuck with this show over the years because it did such a terrific job developing characters and the relationships between them. When they end an episode like they did this one, it really gets me.

And then just when I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy and teary-eyed, they freaking show Pete dressed up and talking like a character from a Mexican soap opera. Talk about a dramatic shift in tone. Heh.

And can we stop with the strong focus on Claudia and her heavy-handed angst and issues. This is not the Claudia show. This is an ensemble. And stop shoe-horning her singing into the show please. I hate when shows do that to please their cast or to show off the actor's other talents. I hated it on Designing Women, I hate it here. I think she should take more a backseat for the rest of the season. It's been a short season, there's only 3 episodes left, and she's been the focus of too much already.

Wordy McWord. I forgot W13 was on this week, and based on the comments in the thread I haven't felt compelled to watch it on demand yet. It pisses me off that they're focusing on Claudia so much when every last minute of the show is precious.

The singing makes me flash back to that backup singer so beloved by the wife of the Ally McBeal showrunner that they kept finding excuses for her to sing in episodes as well as doing the title song. That was actually pushing the limit of her talent and should have been enough. Just as the Ally McBeal singer just didn't have the talent (what was her name, anyway?) to get anywhere on her own this isn't going to launch a singing career for AS. It just wastes our time.

Oh well, the episodes are already in the can so there's no point in bitching. Still grumpy, though.

• Love 1

I don't think this was too much of a focus on Claudia. They brought up the sister plot last season and pretty much resolved it in 2 episodes. I thought this episode was fairly balanced between Claudia/Claire, Myka venting, and the Faire. I mean, it's no where near Holly on Eureka.

I thought they were going to drag this out over the final six episodes, so I was pleased they went in this direction. 

Since there's three episodes left, I'd like to see everyone together more. 

Vonda Shepard was the Ally McBeal singer. I liked her.

Agree with the Claudia overkill. Tired of quirky adorable young women who are computer geniuses on every other show.

I think it is important for them to incorporate Claudia the way they have been doing it.

I am pretty sure that our happily ever after ending is going to involve us believing that the warehouse is in good hands with her as the caretaker.

I am pretty sure that our happily ever after ending is going to involve us believing that the warehouse is in good hands with her as the caretaker.

That's a good call. She's been slated as a potential caretaker for a while. Claudia getting her shit together is part of that. 

I don't have nerd-girl-cool-geek characters on the other shows I watch, but I know it's popular now. I kind of think it's a good thing because there's been decades of "oh, lol, the dorky boy in his basement who likes Star Trek does computers."

Even in this episode, Pete thought the Faire was cool and everyone at the Faire was having a good time. Nerding out on something is in and it's pervading tv.