Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: Fagin

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When the team is called to an in-progress bank robbery, they come across Detective Hailey Upton trying to take over the crime scene with her Robbery-Homicide unit - butting heads with Voight in the process. As the robberies continue to be executed around the city, Lindsay is forced to make a decision in the heat of the moment, revealing a surprising suspect behind the mask. While working on the case at the district, Upton is shocked to come across Platt, who has a special connection to her past.

I liked the episode! Platt was awesome. I loved the scene in the beginning with Linstead BUT I am confused. They were supposed to be kinda on a break and now they're fine? I hated that the mom lashed out on Lindsay. I mean ok it was her baby boy. Who however happened to have a huge ass gun aiming at Lindsay. That was not her fault at all and he could have accepted his fate, aiming at a cop when you are surrounded by police means you want to die so it's not on her. But I loooved how she fired back at the state attorney (whatever his title is).

once again they brought on a "tough cop". I don't want her to stay. Kim will be back soon enough, i don't need a replacement. The got a replacement for Adam for no reason at all too. At least Adam supposedly left without asking Voight. What is he going to do when Kim comes back?

i liked Voight in this episode. The dirty cop ends up being the only one who cares about the kid. Nice.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think Linstead is fine.  They bantered about her remembering his birthday, and then he told that weird story about the married couple?  But at the end at Molly's, they came separately, he told her she didn't have to get him a present, then she left.  The hug was awkward (but nice) but he still let her walk out the door alone?  That's not fine.  They're back to being friends and flirting a little, but that's about all.  I hear the finale focuses a little bit more on them, and also has Bunny.

I didn't even catch the new girl's name.  How could a detective from robbery-homicide have seniority over a sergeant in Intelligence though?  I get that she'd been working the case already for a few weeks, but for there to be the debate I thought she'd at least have the same title as Voight and be on his level.  The captain made the right decision - plus, she'd already been working it for weeks and gotten nowhere.  Voight's team solves it in 2 days.  She'll be gone at the end of the season; I'm sure they'll write her off like they did Rixton.  (So far in my opinion though, both replacements are better than Burgess, so I wouldn't mind either one staying/coming back.)

The case had a lot of twists and turns; I liked it.  Did anyone else think that Erin was going to discover her brother, Teddy, when she removed the helmet?  A 14-year-old kid is bad enough though.  She better not go down the dark road again like she did after Nadia's death.  I think Jay can help her and they need each other right now.  I hope the writers agree...

Edited by FnkyChkn34
Fix typo
  • Love 2

A couple of things but first of all, did they really say that Robbery-Homicide has a clearance rate of just 20%? Can a division really have such a low rate and still justify their existence as a a separate division?

I can't remember her character's name at all, but she looked over made up next to Lindsay, who is obviously a very beautiful woman, but doesn't need to glam it up for police work.  Tracy Spiradakous (and yes, I may have spelled that wrong) was too polished and pretty for me, looking more like she was concerned about her looks than her cases, and next to Sophia Bush, who really pulls off the look of very natural, low maintenance beauty, she didn't look believable.  She is also so junior a detective she isn't allowed to interview anyone--why would they want her?  She doesn't have any credentials that made her seem like a good cop except a case she can't tell anyone about.  I'm actually disappointed in Voight that he took her when she did so little to help in this case and has no resume, if you will, to show her skills.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I feel like Tracy S (can't remember her full last name) has aged years since Revolution. She doesn't look bad but she does look way older.

16 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I can't remember her character's name at all, but she looked over made up next to Lindsay, who is obviously a very beautiful woman, but doesn't need to glam it up for police work.  Tracy Spiradakous (and yes, I may have spelled that wrong) was too polished and pretty for me, looking more like she was concerned about her looks than her cases, and next to Sophia Bush, who really pulls off the look of very natural, low maintenance beauty, she didn't look believable.

Tracy Spiridakos was supposed to be playing a teenager on Revolution but she was really past that even four or five years ago and wasn’t convincing. I’ll give her a chance and won’t prejudge her on Chicago P.D. but I have to say her acting on that earlier NBC show did not impress me and I didn’t watch it for long. And yes, less makeup please.

Amy Morton a.k.a. Trudy Platt remains my favorite female character on this show.

(edited)
16 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I can't remember her character's name at all, but she looked over made up next to Lindsay, who is obviously a very beautiful woman, but doesn't need to glam it up for police work.  Tracy Spiradakous (and yes, I may have spelled that wrong) was too polished and pretty for me, looking more like she was concerned about her looks than her cases, and next to Sophia Bush, who really pulls off the look of very natural, low maintenance beauty, she didn't look believable.  She is also so junior a detective she isn't allowed to interview anyone--why would they want her?  She doesn't have any credentials that made her seem like a good cop except a case she can't tell anyone about.  I'm actually disappointed in Voight that he took her when she did so little to help in this case and has no resume, if you will, to show her skills.

I didn't really think of this before, but it dawned on me now as I re-read your comment that this is probably a reason why I don't find Burgess believable as a cop.  They have her way overdone too, in my opinion.  Not all the time, but often enough.  Interesting observation.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Love 1

Well, I'm glad for once a show didn't give me the 'we can protect you - just testify - oops, my bad, sorry, I guess we can't'-plot we've seen on many other shows and which is depressing as hell. And: to give newbie character who might not be an instant favorite with the audience an emotional connection to one of the best written characters was a smooth move. Well played show! (They needed a replacement for Burgess and I'm okay with her so far. I'll bet her secret undercover case will come up sooner or later.)

Loved Olinsky catching the opportunity to get his Betamax fixed, he!

• Love 3
On 5/4/2017 at 6:21 AM, dreamcatcher said:

I liked the episode! Platt was awesome. I loved the scene in the beginning with Linstead BUT I am confused. They were supposed to be kinda on a break and now they're fine? I hated that the mom lashed out on Lindsay. I mean ok it was her baby boy. Who however happened to have a huge ass gun aiming at Lindsay. That was not her fault at all and he could have accepted his fate, aiming at a cop when you are surrounded by police means you want to die so it's not on her. But I loooved how she fired back at the state attorney (whatever his title is).

What brain dead police force in the world would put the mother next to the cop who killed her son in that environment?

• Love 4

I liked Tracy and apparently she is of Greek decent (given her last name) so I have a soft spot for her, BUT i'm tired of cop shows bringing new characters in all the time. We didn't need a replacement for Adam either. Maybe for Kim it makes more sense because I'm guessing Marina will be gone for much more episodes... but still, when we know they are just replacements we can't really connect with the characters (since we know they will leave at some point).

7 hours ago, Raja said:

What brain dead police force in the world would put the mother next to the cop who killed her son in that environment?

Yeah, that was a major WTF moment - the writers just wanted some dramatic shenanigans and sacrificed all attempts at semi-realism for that scene.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:13 AM, watcher1006 said:

A couple of things but first of all, did they really say that Robbery-Homicide has a clearance rate of just 20%? Can a division really have such a low rate and still justify their existence as a a separate division?

Having had the time of intense gang warfare in my city I go back to my The Wire school of police education.  You know a soldier from gang X did it you just have no way to prove which one and close the case.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Well they obviously felt we needed more Erin angst....

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Maybe whoever let her in to the morgue didn't know that Jay and Erin were there?  Or it gave Jay a chance to "protect" her?

12 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Maybe whoever let her in to the morgue didn't know that Jay and Erin were there?  Or it gave Jay a chance to "protect" her?

Okay brain dead medical examiner's office 

I like Detective Upton.  I think the actress is beautiful and will be a welcome change for however long Burgess is out.

Not sure what is going with Halstead and Lindsey either.  Are they or are they not together?  Jay talking about that couple that lived across the street from each other didn't seem to be very promising.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Not sure what is going with Halstead and Lindsey either.  Are they or are they not together?  Jay talking about that couple that lived across the street from each other didn't seem to be very promising.

I feel like that was Jay's attempt, maybe, at reconciling.  A metaphor that he doesn't want to move back in yet, but he also doesn't want to lose her?  I don'tk now.  She said something about him thinking that was ideal, and he said "I never said that was ideal."  So I think it's foreshadowing?  But it could also be a red herring.  The look on his face at the very end of the episode was more promising.

I admit that I took a full 60 seconds to think about who Voight was referencing with "one of my people is on furlough." Whoops. You can stay gone Burgess.

I loved Trudy's eruption of emotion. That whole scene was great.

I like Upton. I didn't think she was *too made up. But I didn't really pay attention. I was happy to see the ponytail. I think Voight was impressed with her balls at the crime scene.

I really hope the "undercover mystery" doesn't become a focus. But of course, it will, or they wouldn't have brought it up.

I def don't think all is well in Linstead world. Dude- what an AWKWARD convo - were you telling Erin that you love her enough for dinner and sex, but not enough to share space with her the rest of the time?!?

Show of hands -  who else thought Kevin's brother was an offender once they talked about the kids being from that neighborhood?

Also - Atwater. STOP MUMBLING. I have had trouble understanding him since the very first ep. I rewound twice in this ep and still don't know what he said in the commercial for GMC Wifi. Guess it wasn't that important. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, betsyboo said:

I admit that I took a full 60 seconds to think about who Voight was referencing with "one of my people is on furlough." Whoops. You can stay gone Burgess.

I def don't think all is well in Linstead world. Dude- what an AWKWARD convo - were you telling Erin that you love her enough for dinner and sex, but not enough to share space with her the rest of the time?!?

Show of hands -  who else thought Kevin's brother was an offender once they talked about the kids being from that neighborhood?

Also - Atwater. STOP MUMBLING. I have had trouble understanding him since the very first ep. I rewound twice in this ep and still don't know what he said in the commercial for GMC Wifi. Guess it wasn't that important. 

I agree, I don't miss Burgess.

I thought the same thing about Jay's weird story, but then he said that wasn't his idea of ideal?  So I'm still just as confused.

**hand raised**

He said that the photo wasn't downloading, so that's when Jay said the rig had wifi.  Then Atwater asked when Jay was going to let him drive it and Jay said something that meant "never."  Uh... isn't it Erin's rig anyway? ;-)

• Love 1

IMO Lindsay and Upton are VERY similar-looking, almost like sisters...it's a bit distracting.

Re: the morgue scene - What I picked up was that when the dead kid's mother asked which officer shot him, Jay didn't say a word...and likely wouldn't have, if Erin hadn't. I very definitely had the sense that no matter what's gone down with them recently, he would never, ever throw her under the bus. It was a good moment.

• Love 2