Type keyword(s) to search

Doc Martin - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My, WOSU PBS has just shown this one for the first time.  I'm all choked up! First the sadness of the break-up, then the proposal.  Sigh. Louisa and Doc both aggravate me at times but I do want them to be happy. 

Even the receptionist's gambling addiction and her mother being mean to her was very sad.

Something about the beauty of the setting and Doc's dog, who looks exactly like a pound rescue I once had, really get to me.

Our PBS station has just restarted the series from the beginning. Life is good.

Martin was chattier than I expected, and sort of half-smiled on a couple of occasions (once when he visited Aunt Joan). He couldn't always understand what the locals were talking about, and neither could I really need to watch it again with English subtitles and an Cornwall-to-American translation dictionary. He was witty on numerous occasions, sometimes sarcastic, sometimes with charm.

I was always under the impression that he had been dumped in Portwenn by The System. This episode made it clear that he consciously chose to go there, and consciously chose to stay. I smiled when he chucked the For Sale sign into the harbor.

Our local PBS just restarted the series last night, and I was very pleased to see everyone starting over.  I had forgotten how hateful the first receptionist, Elaine, was to the Doc.  Eesh, I would have fired her perky little butt the first day!

Martin's people skills aren't that great, so I can see him not firing someone who is also terrible to people.  He doesn't really like "nice" people, anyway, does he?

Incompetence is another matter.  Elaine should have been fired for that!

Yep... that Elaine had such a bad attitude. I couldn't understand why the villagers liked her so much, and were so angry with him for firing her. I cracked up when he rehired her, and she gave him a list of her demands. hahaha. Unreal. 

• Love 1

I think if someone tries to help, but what they do doesn't work so they get all pissy and take it personally, it's not really help.

But it has to be a two way street. Martin doesn't help either. It's not all on Louisa. They are both damaged souls. And yes. Louisa knew what she was getting into --but so did Martin.

And really? Isn't that human nature in a nutshell? People always think ---if I love him enough he will love me back. Or If I love her enough she will change and become the person I want her to be.

• Love 1

PBS is showing the series from the start again, so I caught this one the other night.  So why did Martin hire Elaine back?  Because the town was mad at him for firing her?  Because she found it within her nasty self to show up for her dad's wedding? 

I also watch on PBS. I came in at the end of Season 3, then saw all of 4, 5 and 6. Mr. K2P2 discovered it, and convinced me I needed to check it out

Doc Martin also airs on PBS in my area. I tried to introduce a friend of mine to the show but his only comment ---that Doc Martin is a hateful character. oh well. I guess he just didn't understand the Doc Martin of it all?

I had forgotten about her until I saw the season one eps again. I guess she was supposed to be like "groovy" or something with that ratty hair and the heinous makeup. Not sure. I never cared for her and barely noticed when she was gone. Suddenly there was Pauline and I forgot what's-her-name.

So why did Martin hire Elaine back?  Because the town was mad at him for firing her?  Because she found it within her nasty self to show up for her dad's wedding? 

Ooh, I hated Elaine so much I almost stopped watching the show when it was obvious she wasn't to be gotten rid of easily. Everyone in town was horrible in some way but she was the worst. I liked Pauline better because eventually she actually wanted to do the job rather than just have the job.

• Love 1

This is where we are in Ohio (WOSU) right now.

I was sorry to see the season start with a new dog, because the big dog from previous episodes looked just like my old dog and now I imagine they're both wagging around some sort of heavenly version of Portwenn. All else was well though, since Large and Son and Pauline and neck brace lady were all there.

Then I was very nervous to think Doc might start an affair with the mean Dr. Edith. I was never so happy to see a pregnant woman in the doorway as when Louisa showed up.

We just restarted S1 here, There is quite a difference between S1 Martin and S5/6 Martin. in S1, he smiles occasionally, navigates social niceties to some extent, makes small talk, is funny on purpose, and seems to enjoy associating with some people in some circumstances. It's often laugh-out-loud funny.

By S6, he was surly All The Time, and it's hard to take after awhile. It was more like a drama with occasional comedy relief by secondary characters.

I certainly hope S7 finds a way to bring him back around to the charming curmudgeon he was at the beginning.

It's taken me awhile to warm up to PC Mark M., but in this episode, he was hilarious. The dancing, the Big Boy, sitting on his vehicle reading a book - all made me laugh.

Highlight of the episode: A perfect amount of Elaine, just enough to foreshadow unexpected adventures ahead.

I saw this episode for the second time just last night. I agree... what fun. Poor Mark being so insecure, but also being such an exciting dancer! I'm thinking Martin and Louisa were already quite smitten with each other. He was so jealous seeing her dancing with Mark, and Louisa was upset that Martin saw her seeming to be interested in Mark. I enjoyed seeing Doc with Stuart too. He was quite frightened there for a while. I liked Doc sitting with Peter and understanding just what he was going through. I also got to see the action going on in a window across the way as Doc exited the dance. I missed that the first time around because I tend to keep my eyes on Doc! I agree... that was the perfect amount of Elaine. I'm glad all the other receptionists were much more likable. 

• Love 1

The funny thing I noticed is the writers make a point of showing how Edith (Mean red-haired lady) and Doc Martin are very similar. They talk the same talk so to speak. She seems to understand him.

Ahhh. But then there is Louisa. Doc and Louisa may not always understand one another but they are clearly in love with one another. That come through. Always. I never doubt.

I think the dog thing is some kind of schtick the writers use to show that Martin is not a nice guy. Because really?

I see the similarities between Doc and Edith, too, but I have to believe that he is not really heartless, just socially inept, while she is actually a calculating, mean spirited piece of work. I hope somehow they manage to sick Mrs. Tishell (neck-brace lady) on Edith.

This was a lovely episode. I'm hesitant to say much about it for fear of spoiling it. If you haven't seen it, go watch it! Mr. P2 and I were both verklempt by the time the credits rolled.

Louisa was only in it for a moment, but she managed a little unabashed flirtation with Martin, and got a speechless double-take for her trouble.

The three story lines all addressed the same theme, and there was a good bit of exposition about Martin's Portwenn past.

As always, I am struck by how much S1 Martin strikes up conversations and seeks out advice from locals. It will be interesting to see when he stops doing that, and why.

Bert was a big ole jerk. Al thought about being sensitive, but didn't know how to pull it off. Dream Louisa licked Dream Martin's nose, earning the "adult content" warning my PBS station slaps on. There is a graphic emergency medical procedure. Martin wears a t-shirt with his suit after his dress shirt gets splashed with blood. It's a good, friendly look for him, so of course he will not do it again.

My PBS station finally showed the first ep of season 6. I loved it. I loved that Martin didn't want Penhale to be his "best man" and that Louisa had no one to walk her down the isle. Kind of symbolic of how they are both loners.

I thought it was great the way they worked together. Louisa not being squeamish and helping Doc so matter of fact. I really ship those two. sure. They have communication problems but their love for one another is clear for all to see. At least to me!

I didn't find it out of character at all that Doc would walk fast and expect Louisa to keep up. In my opinion that is SO Doc Martin! right there. Rude and inconsiderate. But not realizing that he is rude and inconsiderate.

• Love 1

I'm glad you finally got to see it. It was really one of the best episodes for SO6 because it's mostly downhill from there. SIGH! I like watching old episodes, but I haven't wanted to see most of that season again.

I found Doc out of character because he is usually so helpful and considerate where Louisa and James are concerned. Perhaps he was already starting on his downward turn.

I am so hoping the show gets back to what it used to be in SO7. It was serious but fun too

I really really hope with the changes Martin will make in SO7, he will change his attire up a bit. I would love to see some casual looks especially at home!! I'm truly tired of the suits, shirts, and ties he always wears.I'm sure it's going to happen along with understanding why he is that way. He will learn how to relax and have fun sometimes, and he will learn how to talk and share his feelings. I'm so looking forward to it. 

I found Doc out of character because he is usually so helpful and considerate where Louisa and James are concerned. Perhaps he was already starting on his downward turn

I am so hoping the show gets back to what it used to be in SO7. It was serious but fun too

Of course my PBS station teased me with the first ep of season 6 ---then went right into pledge week and I haven't been able to watch any others...yet.

But I must disagree. I often see Doc being rude or even "mean" to Louisa. But it comes across (to me anyway) that he is just a rude and abrupt individual and doesn't really intend any harm. I read comments here that say ---Oh Doc used to be nice and interact with other people in the village etc... but once again I must disagree.

Doc doesn't suffer fools and in his opinion -- he is constantly surrounded by fools! He shows his distain often ---from the very beginning of the series as a matter of fact.

In anticipation of season 6 I began watching the series from the first ep of the first season right up to the first ep of season 6. IMO Doc Martin has been the same old curmudgeon  right on through.

I cannot judge what the rest of the season is like ---because I have only seen bits and pieces --not whole eps past the first one.

• Love 1

Finally! Elaine is gone - long live Pauline!

I've seen the show enough to know the pattern - Martin diagnoses ailment, ailment continues, more information uncovered, new diagnosis - but the "more information" for the accident-prone guy really caught me off guard. Mr. K2P2 watched the episode before I did, but he watched it again with me, just so he could see my reaction.

This, I told him, is why our station runs an "adult content" advisory before each episode.

• Love 1

Finally got to see the entire season 6. I loved every bit of it.

IMO Martin was Martin the entire time ---crusty--impatient---rude and ever endearing.

I love the way Louisa tried to include him in everyday activities. And she tried to understand what he was going through but he kept shutting her out.

And that final scene? Lovely. They neither want to go back to the way things were but they don't want to be apart either. I hope those two crazy kids can make it!

Okay, Mrs. Cronk is IMPOSSIBLE.  I have never been around anyone with asthma, so can someone enlighten me?  Is this a true depiction of this condition?  Where if the afflicted person gets a late notice on their electric bill, they suddenly can't breathe or speak, and they throw themselves into a deep-fryer?  Do folks have to walk on eggshells around them and watch what they say, lest there be a sudden death?  I really am being serious, is this real?

When the old man said "I have matches in my bag" the penny dropped.  I yelled "the bird is in the bag."  I covered my eyes though....  But wouldn't the social worker ladies realized that the man didn't smell when he wasn't holding his bag?  I doubt he took it into his bath.

That was my experience, too, PaulaO. "Ohhhhh, it's in the bag," followed by squinching up my face. I was surprised that Martin didn't make him put the bag down during the first examination.

I don't know, I found this season really depressing, and the final episode especially so.  I know we have to have Martin on some growth arc where he opens up a little more, and I did love the line in a previous episode about having a family -- Louisa, James Henry, and Ruth.  But this episode just seemed like piling on to me.  I'm always frustrated by Louisa; ever since the episode a few seasons back where she had a pouty fit because Martin made fish for dinner (you know, the temerity of actually picking up fresh food and cooking it and all....).  And this season was no different.  

She gets into a snit because he fails to live up to her expectations at a job that someone new to town could have told you he would not do well (handing out sports awards at the school).  And by the end, in this episode, he's doing everything he can to save her life and their marriage, including performing surgery through an episode of his blood phobia, just so he could take care of her.  And she is still treating him like he kicked her puppy. 

I hope the final season brings Louisa around more than I want to see changes with Martin.  

• Love 3

This was so sad for me.  Really I don't understand why Louisa is in such a hurry to return to her job.  It would be different if she had a reliable baby sitter --her mother not being one.  Personally, I would much rather stay home and squeeze those fat thighs on the cutest baby ever. 

The thing about living with Martin is that, socially dense as he is,  he seems quite willing to learn.  He wasn't angry over her egg for dinner and he listened when she told him he should have discussed the christening date with her. He just needs some training and Louisa should be good at that. The look on his face at the end was just heartbreaking.

I really don't understand Louisa.  First she returns to work with no proper child care set up, then, after she finds out her mother has been leaving the baby with a sixteen year-old criminal, she still wants to go out for the evening instead of working on the child care issue or even just holding her baby and being thankful nothing happened to him.  Would it kill her to stay with Martin for a few years to give her child a good start?  She seems so selfish in all this.  For all Martin's coldness he seems more concerned about the baby than she does.

I don't understand either Martin or Louisa when it comes to caring for their child. Surely with him as a doctor and her as a teacher they must be among the highest earners in Portwenn. Their lifestyle is not extravagant.  And I don't doubt their love and commitment to their son. Why are they not hiring a trained, experienced nanny or caregiver for the baby rather than whoever is near at hand? They could certainly afford it, even if they might have to pay quite well given the relative isolation of the town.

• Love 3

When Doc Martin was rescuing the disoriented school caretaker Mr, Coley from the roof, he kept calling him by the wrong name. Initially he called him Mr. Creeley and was corrected by Louisa, He then addressed him as Mr. Maynard and then as Mr. Munson  a couple of times over the course of the scene. I kept waiting for an explanation from the doctor (e.g. being called by an incorrect name would startle the individual and make him more alert). However, none was given.

I guess it was simply sloppy editing of multiple shots for that scene but it was disconcerting.

Ohwell, Mrs. Tishell came back to Portwenn in this episode - much to the dismay of Louisa. She initially worked under the supervision of an overseeing pharmacist but soon was working on her own. She was also attempting  to deal with her emotional issues,. Mrs. Tishell remained a significant character for the rest of the season.

• Love 1

I think the constantly changing names was intentional, for comic effect. It's the sort of little thing that Martin would not find particularly important unless he had a reason for knowing it.

Yes, the final shot has some lovely, wordless acting.

(edited)

I don't see a media thread, so will add here that they have been filming Season/Series 7!  Looks like we might see this in the U.S. in 2016.  There are no plot spoilers in these articles; the first one does mention returning characters, pretty much what you would expect: 

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/doc-martin/news/filming-begins-on-doc-martin-series-7

http://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2015/03/28/filming-begins-doc-martin-season-7

The article linked below is a longer version of the "whatsontv.co.uk" link -- really no spoilers, but has a few comments about the setup for the start of the next season -- one character wants a pay raise, one has an unspecified health issue, one is starting a new business enterprise.  No specifics, just very general remarks intended to make us curious! I am suitably curious! 

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/martin-clunes-returns-britains-favourite-grumpy-medic

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

PBS here in my area of the U.S. has not run season 6 but I've finally binged to this epi on Acorn.

Agree, Louisa season 6 has been very unlikeable, I found her to be quite unreasonable.  Considering who Martin is I think he's pretty good with James, and pretty accepting of her comments, more so than many Cornwell men I wouldn't be surprised.  To get all pissy because he gave him a wooden spoon to play with instead of toy etc.....well I thought it was pretty obvious in this episode that she had gotten to a place in her head where Martin can do no right.  She see's nothing right in anything he does.  And I've got news for her, lots of men out there are not going to spill their deepest darkest emotions over an egg breakfast.  Yes, she knew what she was getting into although that often doesn't make it any easier to live with, I do think that she could use some therapy herself in terms of getting support in living with someone like Martin.  His mother came at the worst possible time.

Go Ruth!  Very strong blunt language, just out called his mother  a monster!    Of course it does beg the question of why she wasn't more involved when he was little.  The aunts seemed to be there passively for him but I'm not sure how much they really fought the brother/mother to be better parents, or themselves more involved, hard to know without more backstory.  Still, Ruth's attitude shows that she has some very deep pissed off anger with Martins mother on his behalf.  And I get so mad when the worst parents out there can throw that "well you've never been a parent how could you possibly understand" card down and someone who has never been a parent is just nullified.  As if someone whose never been a parent can have zero relevant opinion.  That card is like carte blanche for the worst. 

Clunes did an excellent acting job this episode.  When she got hit by the car his cry of Louisa was just so heartfelt. 

• Love 3

I'm glad I was not watching this in-real-time as a weekly show with this as the season finale.  I'm not sure I'm going to continue after this belabored episode which seems to suggest more-of-the-same Rube Goldberg "complications" in the future ... and I was doing so well, quite enjoying and various characters after initial reluctance and lukewarm feelings. I keep realizing that characters that I liked last season have vanished without a trace ... the old lady with the tuberculosis ridden cat (which was apparently never reunited with her or destroyed on the doctor's order) the "yuppie couple" with the monster child -- poof ... suddenly it's whatever happened to Baby Jane time. The aunt -- who appears to be the only emotionally and physically healthy person in town -- is suddenly in the background and the sweet handyman is poof gone. 

This sort of vanishing characters and plot lines makes it very very hard for me to bother to care (i.e. invest) in what happens next, particularly since there's so much reliance on the repetitious introduction of unlikely illnesses/conditions so that Louisa can think Martin is "awesome." Grr.  Just needed to get it off my chest.  

It feels like this show should have ended with this episode, possibly with a happier ending ... I'm bored with the receptionist and her cleavage and her motor bike and her addiction. Much has I like all the characters at the restaurant ... more Rube Goldberg shenaningans and I can't imagine anyone who knows "the crew" eating there ... nuf. 

ETA:  I did continue watching and the quality has not deteriorated although there are still the odd gaps of disappearing characters -- poof -- and what had appeared to be developing storylines  ... so far so good. 

Edited by SusanSunflower

Sorry that Carrie Wilson was painted as such a loathsome stereotypic baracuda ... if she'd been half-way human, she might have been worth carrying over for 2 or 3 episodes ... particularly since Martin actually seemed to be uncharacteristically flattered by and attracted to her rather grotesque advances. Unfortunately, she also made Louisa look like a rather pathetic loser, pinning her hopes on Martin who is so easily distracted. 

I realize Martin is supposed to be a conundrum, but sometimes his personality is so inconsistent, almost amnestic, I lose interest ... he doesn't mean to be cruel, he's just ...