Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E22: Golden Days

• Start Topic

On April 24, 2017 at 7:54 PM, ymeagain said:

Okay, I'm just putting this out there: I think the proposal happens this episode.

I think you might be right. In an interview Dani said the proposal happens this season, and I can't see it happening in either Uncaged or Unleashed. This is the only other episode. ?

(edited)
Spoiler

Okay, wrong about the proposal, but really good episode (really curious about when it's going to happen). Like Whiting as a character (don't like the character; she's the character you love to hate--and the actress who plays her is really good); her character's consistent. So, Deeks has his confession hanging over his head forever. The ending was nice. Good job of writing (much better than last week's).

Edited by 123BP

I'm glad they followed through on the Whiting storyline, but I foresee another long arc with Bates baiting over Deeks's head.  Not that I blame her, she's using her best resources to get a job done.

Glad to see the mutual respect they had for one another, but that neck makeup was awful.on Whiting.

Sterling was so much fun in this episode, I almost wish he could stay as a foil.  Much better at that than G's father is.

Obi-Wan, I miss you, too.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I'm glad they followed through on the Whiting storyline, but I foresee another long arc with Bates baiting over Deeks's head.  Not that I blame her, she's using her best resources to get a job done.

Glad to see the mutual respect they had for one another, but that neck makeup was awful.on Whiting.

I was SO distracted by her makeup. 

They clearly like the actress and want to keep using her. I'm honestly surprised that we're about to close season 8 and Deeks is still LAPD and not NCIS. I wonder if it will come up as part of the new LAPD investigation arc this seemed to kick off. This was clearly an episode where ECO only shot a couple of days--they probably owed him some time for coming in early to shoot the maternity leave coverage storyline.

i thought the Deeks/Kensi scene and the Granger tribute were both really well done. 

58 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Wow, it's gotten really dusty in here.  I've got something in my eye...

How funny, very dusty over here also...(wipes eyes).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Awww, Owen was Obi-wan.

I really wasn't expecting that. And I liked how they did it. And the mention of how many glasses were already not being drunk from.

And I wish we'd see more from these guys (so long as Anthony Denozo's father stays on the other coast.)

• Love 1

Interesting episode. Sam and Callen now see what their future holds.

That last scene of the old crew toasting Granger was lovely, but I want to see our guys doing something as well. Lange's Five weren't the only ones who worked with him, respected him and will miss him greatly.

Loved the confirmation that Deeks told Kensi about confessing to Whiting. And that Kensi is rolling with it and supporting him all the way. I have no doubt that she'll be kept aware of his assistance to Whiting moving forward. "No more secrets" has turned out to be exactly that and it's one of the reason I continue to adore this pairing. Yes of course there are silly moments and moments when one or the other is not their 'best self' but overall, this is a functional adult relationship which is refreshing to see in this franchise (side-eyes the one that will not be named on Mothership).

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Loved the confirmation that Deeks told Kensi about confessing to Whiting. And that Kensi is rolling with it and supporting him all the way. I have no doubt that she'll be kept aware of his assistance to Whiting moving forward. "No more secrets" has turned out to be exactly that and it's one of the reason I continue to adore this pairing. Yes of course there are silly moments and moments when one or the other is not their 'best self' but overall, this is a functional adult relationship which is refreshing to see in this franchise (side-eyes the one that will not be named on Mothership).

My consideration: this show shows us "good" against "bad", and always wins the good.
I'm sorry for their beautiful love story, Kensi has a smile, a glance that illuminates the environment, they are beautiful and nice together, and we have seen them in the best moments and in difficult moments.

They have a beautiful love, and I think they have suffered so many, too many!
But now it is right that Deeks system the situation with justice !!! Not with Whiting !!!

Edited by centopercento
(edited)

I think the prominent scar on Whiting's neck was there as a reminder. That's exactly why I didn't buy her karmic transformation. Nor is the character stupid or naive. With a scar that prominent Whiting would be thinking if she wasn't investigating Deeks she never would've gotten shot ie grudge along with dealing with a frustrating suspect/case.

Kensi wearing boots again? Great chase a suspect foot wear.

Gold Bar in safe suspect office lady- don't need binoculars for that one.

Edited by misstwpherecool
7 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I'm honestly surprised that we're about to close season 8 and Deeks is still LAPD and not NCIS. I wonder if it will come up as part of the new LAPD investigation arc this seemed to kick off. This was clearly an episode where ECO only shot a couple of days--they probably owed him some time for coming in early to shoot the maternity leave coverage storyline.

They were supposed to do a Deeks goes back to LAPD arc in season 5, but when DR got pregnant, they cancelled it and gave us Afghanistan instead. ECO said in an interview earlier this season that the LAPD return was part of the original plan for this season, but he didn't know if it was going to happen (this was in the context of DR's maternity leave in season 8). I think this will eventually lead to Deeks becoming a full-time agent, and yes it's been ridiculously long. They should have just gone ahead telling Deeks' story whether Kensi was there or not, especially in season 5 before they were together.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Sam and Callen now see what their future holds.

Callen and Sam won't be those guys. Great scene when Callen tells Sam to shoot him if he gets like them and Sam agrees as long as Callen agrees to shoot him. Callen and Sam have grown up in times too different to be them in their old age. But this episode was so much better than last week's, no complaints. Whiting is a great antagonist!! So glad she didn't roll over and forgive Deeks but wants to use his confession to get him to help her--and keep it hanging over his head. As somebody else mentioned, if she hadn't been investigating Deeks--again--she'd never have been shot. She's not going to forgive that easily. She's stubborn and tenacious and probably a good cop. The actual NCIS agents did a good job investigating while babysitting (turned out the "plan" by the old guys wasn't needed since the buyer was coming for the gold--all the death and destruction was unnecessary). Like that the actual agents care about "civil rights" and "collateral damage"--the danger to the city--while the old guys must all be re-living Vietnam. Ending scene and stories about Granger were good, and the toast was probably the final good-bye and fitting coming from his comrades. When AJ came in during the mole arc, I thought he might replace Granger; now, it doesn't seem as likely to me. Surprised there was no proposal since this seems like the final "fun" episode of the season. Someone else mentioned Deeks becoming an agent; I got the feeling from his talk with Kensi before calling Whiting, that he's ready to quit--again (second or third time he's mentioned it this season).

Edited by ymeagain
(edited)

So the fabulous Oldtimers stir up a gang war that leads to numerous deaths (incl. someone gruesomely tortured) - yet conveniently no innocent bystanders were hurt or killed and since all the victims were criminals I guess we're supposed to be okay with them turning LA in a temporary war-zone. And at the end of the day - and several shootings - none of the other law-enforcement agencies nor NCIS' upper echelon were the least bit interested in the cause for all the troubles and the fabulous Oldtimers kept the gold to spread further joy and happiness? Alright then.

Phew, they really milked the trope of 'old guys still have what it takes to get the job done' to the last droplet. Not even the admittedly poignant end-scene made up for all the clichés. Glad we got this over and done with.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4

Well, I thought this was a fun episode!  I liked that Sam and Callen were like, "Dudes, we're actually Federal agents, not the mafia," and the cold war vets were like, "Whatever Mary."  The individual interactions of the newly-formed partnerships were well-written and acted.  I even enjoyed the cheesy final standoff, with the vets riding in to save the day (like we didn't all see that coming :)

I do agree, though, that the disastrous nature of the Old Guys' plan was kinda played down.  It ended up with a massive body count, including one guy who was literally tortured to death, for basically no return.  Yeah, I guess that all the dead dudes were gangbangers, but I'm not sure I buy that every one of them deserved a death sentence.

I absolutely loved the whole Kensi/Deeks and Deeks/Whiting storyline.  Kensi and Deeks' scenes were so real and grounded and true to the characters and their relationship.  I especially liked her "joke" that if he went to jail, she'd just have to break him out and they'd live the rest of their lives together on the lam.  Because that is totally what would happen!  Fan fiction writers, take note :)

As for Deeks and Whiting, I think it's a really good way both to put the whole Boyle mess to rest once and for all and to open up fun possibilities for a Deeks arc in the future.  I like Whiting as a character and I think the actress is very effective (it doesn't surprise me that they have made her a recurring character, since ECO specifically mentioned in his commentary on "Internal Affairs" that he really enjoyed working with her and loved their rhythm and repartee).  I loved that she kept him twisting in the wind during their whole meet-up by not admitting until the very end that she remembered his confession.  Way to keep a guy off-balance.

As for the suggestion that she will keep the Boyle thing hanging over him for the rest of his career, that's an empty threat and I think he'll figure that out when he thinks it through.  She can't very well close the case now, and then re-open it in a year or two and say "Oh by the way, he confessed to me two years ago.  Why did I close the case then?  Oh, I thought it was more useful to blackmail him with the confession then, but now I want to prosecute him with it."  I think Deeks will work with her, not because she's manipulating him, but because he trusts her and because he genuinely cares about exposing corrupt cops.  Oh, and please don't let Bates be a bad guy!

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, mtmjr said:

Kensi and Deeks' scenes were so real and grounded and true to the characters and their relationship.

I liked the scene but guess I'm the only one who senses that although they love each other very much, they are very different in a lot of ways--and these differences are coming out in subtle ways.

2 hours ago, mtmjr said:

As for the suggestion that she will keep the Boyle thing hanging over him for the rest of his career, that's an empty threat

Totally disagree. I don't think any threat Whiting makes is empty, and she's not going to close the case on Deeks until she investigates the corruption in the LAPD--which could be a long time--and I doubt Deeks will find that enjoyable (it also seems farfetched that an actor would be hired and a role continued because any member of the cast liked working with him/her; it's a business). I also hope there are no more "arcs" about any character until the writers learn to write them well.

2 hours ago, mtmjr said:

I think Deeks will work with her, not because she's manipulating him, but because he trusts her and because he genuinely cares about exposing corrupt cops.

Maybe he trusts her, but her threat to hold his confession that he committed murder (which he admitted to, so hopefully that's settled once and for all and no more excuses) is a huge reason behind whether or not he agrees. Whiting is a great antagonist because she's tough and she's one woman--among several--who is immune to the Deeksness. And although she's not a particularly likeable person, she is probably a good cop.

Edited by 123BP
10 hours ago, MissLucas said:

So the fabulous Oldtimers stir up a gang war that leads to numerous deaths (incl. someone gruesomely tortured) - yet conveniently no innocent bystanders were hurt or killed and since all the victims were criminals I guess we're supposed to be okay with them turning LA in a temporary war-zone. And at the end of the day - and several shootings - none of the other law-enforcement agencies nor NCIS' upper echelon were the least bit interested in the cause for all the troubles and the fabulous Oldtimers kept the gold to spread further joy and happiness? Alright then.

Phew, they really milked the trope of 'old guys still have what it takes to get the job done' to the last droplet. Not even the admittedly poignant end-scene made up for all the clichés. Glad we got this over and done with.

Yes! I really have not enjoyed all the oldtimer stuff, that last scene was like a reverse Charlie's Angels. I did appreciate the glass left for Grainger however.

• Love 1

I would like Martin to remain a cop, forever. He does not argue as a federal agent, his relationship with justice is less sophisticated but more functional.
The Martin character was manipulated to make the Densi happy and this was unbearable to me. The original Martin would never want to become an agent.

Densi's love ruined this TV series and I hope Martin's character comes out of the series. I hope he runs away from the NCIS and he is back happy
and back to surfing and to have sex! Kensi is not good for him. He is very sad with her. I want him free and safe.
Densi? No!
Whiting? Maybe, but he does not spy.
Martin died? Better he died than he was with Kensi.
Bates? Big mustaches and great concern and tenderness for Martin. The Captain is a good guy.

(edited)
6 hours ago, MaxGentry said:

I would like Martin to remain a cop, forever. He does not argue as a federal agent, his relationship with justice is less sophisticated but more functional.
The Martin character was manipulated to make the Densi happy and this was unbearable to me. The original Martin would never want to become an agent.

Densi's love ruined this TV series and I hope Martin's character comes out of the series. I hope he runs away from the NCIS and he is back happy
and back to surfing and to have sex! Kensi is not good for him. He is very sad with her. I want him free and safe.
Densi? No!
Whiting? Maybe, but he does not spy.
Martin died? Better he died than he was with Kensi.
Bates? Big mustaches and great concern and tenderness for Martin. The Captain is a good guy.

I just tried to say that  the Whiting character she is not credible in her promises.

And surrender to a blackmail is not the best !!

Because he would end up getting into everything and everything in her hands, she would become her puppet.

Martin, or Max, as he pleases you, must resolve the situation without  cede to Whiting.For him, not for others.

Edited by centopercento
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2017 at 10:25 PM, roamyn said:

On 4/30/2017 at 10:36 PM, Jillibean said:

I was SO distracted by her makeup.

ALL of her makeup was awful! She was Oompa Loompa orange!

On 5/1/2017 at 1:07 AM, anna0852 said:

Loved the confirmation that Deeks told Kensi about confessing to Whiting. And that Kensi is rolling with it and supporting him all the way. I have no doubt that she'll be kept aware of his assistance to Whiting moving forward. "No more secrets" has turned out to be exactly that and it's one of the reason I continue to adore this pairing. Yes of course there are silly moments and moments when one or the other is not their 'best self' but overall, this is a functional adult relationship which is refreshing to see in this franchise.

Agreed.

On 5/1/2017 at 2:55 AM, misstwpherecool said:

Gold Bar in safe suspect office lady- don't need binoculars for that one.

I enjoyed that the hedge fund manager (regardless of her guilt), just let these two random people who waved a badge around walk off with her bar of gold! Ask for a receipt! Call your boss!! Call NCIS and confirm!

As much as I love AJ, I found the old timers insistence on being part of it annoying.  Now I have to go back and watch all of Alias to wash the BadDixon taste out of my mouth.

Other quotes I enjoyed:

• the casual way Callen referenced the meerkats as "maybe the twins can get something off their phones..."
  • "You can Snappletweet us, while we do the real work."
  • "We should just pull a Da Nang Pickup. Drive in, throw one of them in the trunk, peel out. Ten seconds, tops."
  • "Well, what did you expect? You left us with motorcycles." "And guns." 
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2017 at 3:37 PM, MostlyC said:

Awww, Owen was Obi-wan.

Not sure why Callen was surprised that Owen was badass, he has shown to be more than capable and some edge in prior situations.  It was again an example of how Callen just let his initial distrust of Granger blind him from his value to the unit.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I think it was more the 'Granger singing and having goofy nickname' that threw Callen, not Granger being competent and a bad ass.

Agree. Callen didn't distrust Granger anymore and he knew Granger was a bad ass (especially after Spoils of War, Traitor, and the whole Justice Dept. inquiry). But, Granger was the boss, so Callen still had conflicts with him--as he did with Hetty.

4 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

It was again an example of how Callen just let his initial distrust of Granger blind him from his value to the unit.

Don't agree.