Type keyword(s) to search

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed this one but it was frustrating because I thought it could be more than it was. I thought the story had potential but it would have been better as a mini series. I would have liked to learn more about how and why people started developing telepathy, the government experiments and just more world building and character development in general. 

People have been comparing the show to Black Mirror and it is a sci fi anthology series but Black Mirror is more of a reflection of how our society could become realistically nightmarish with just a few key differences. This felt more like an underdeveloped sci fi story. I am tempted to find the story it was based on to try and gain more insight.

• Love 1

I was skeptical about this series (because Amazon hasn't produced as many quality projects as Netflix) ... but was pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed not being quite sure which reality seemed 'more real'. 

One thing that I believe helps this series is that it is based on established PKD stories - and the story plays out as its own thing. Most series suffer (imo) because they are written to cater to a cast of actors - and the story itself gets lower priority, because god forbid some named actor doesn't get his allotted amount of screen time per episode. 

• Love 1

Loved this episode.  Usually I can guess, but I couldn't figure which was the real world and which wasn't.  They did a good job of making each equally compelling and believable.  

Looks like the US airings on Amazon has reordered the episodes, as this is episode 1.  

I way late to the party because there's too much content nowadays. I watched on the plane. I'm on the 'Father' episode now.

For the most part I liked the series. There's certainly a wide variety. I'm finding some of the stories just kind of end and don't have an ending. I don't know if that's by design.

I wasn't quite sure why Steve Buscemi got dumped out in the Jack and Jill episode since everything was his plan in the first place. I guess lying to his wife? I don't get why she jumped on Jill so fast though, when all she wanted to do was move up the coast.

They didn't really do a good job with why there was so much strife with the telepaths either. And Robb Stark being able to naturally block them just came out of nowhere. I would have just liked him to be a more sympathetic character and Honor being more paranoid.

I thought the Bryan Cranston one was obvious, but I liked it. They could have done more in the courtroom because that kind of ended really pat without too much dramatic tension. I don't get why the aide was so hostile to his wife.

I liked the Anna Paquin one because it was the most 'classic scifi' to me. The one with the Amazon factory was good because I didn't see the twist coming. The terrorist one was probably the most contemporary and creepiest.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:14 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I way late to the party because there's too much content nowadays

If YOU are late to the party, what does that make me?  LOL!

Here is Vulture's ranking of the episodes from best to worst:

The Commuter

Father Thing

Kill All Others

Real Life

Crazy Diamond

Impossible Planet

Safe and Sound

The Hood Maker

Autofac

Human Is

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here is my ranking:

Autofac

The Commuter

Kill All Others

The Hood Maker

Safe and Sound

Real Life

Impossible Planet

Father Thing

Human Is

Crazy Diamond

Since IMDB is completely user based, I was curious what their rankings were and here it is (again from best to worst):

Autofac

Real Life

Human Is

Kill All Others

Safe and Sound

The Commuter

The Hood Maker

Impossible Planet

The Father Thing

Crazy Diamond

I've only seen two so far (Real Life and Autofac, which are episodes 1 and 2 on Prime Video). I thought Real Life was well done and intriguing (I'm still not sure which one was the real person and which one was the "vacation"), but Autofac was kind of boring, with cliche dialogue, slow pacing, and mediocre acting. The big reveal with Emily was interesting, but it would have been better to spend more time on that part of the story.

I was distracted throughout Autoface trying to figure out if Emily was played by Juno Temple. I just checked the cast and see that it was Juno, but she looked softer and almost rounder than she does in other things I've seen (especially Ted Lasso). 

I know it's too much to expect all the episodes to be consistently good, but I hope most of them hold my interest.