Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Gargoyle Guardians

I kind of thought it was set up that whoever chose deconstructivism would be going home because it would be so difficult to realize.  However, George's work was exceptional.  I really loved the back of the cowl.  It just seemed such a weird architectural style to include with more traditional ones-it really stood out as one of those "what does not fit with the others" kind of option.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I was surprised that this season didn't have many "wow" creations.

As far as I'm concerned, it should never have been called an "All-Stars" season, since it included no past winners. At best it was a "Second Chance" season.

ETA: I really, really, really wish they would have included a challenge where they had to paint the model into a painting/background.  Those were some of my favorite challenges of all time, and we don't even get one a season.

• Love 1

I'll skip the pages of notes I made since I'm so late to comment this week, and keep it short.  Hated George's.  Hated it.  Was pissed as hell that Tyler went home over George for that crap, BUT I will give him credit for making the best out of a lousy situation.  As someone said before, what asshole stuck Deconstructivism in there?  I still hated it.  Thought Tyler's had more work/detail in it, but I'm biased as you all know.  At first glance Emily's was too Egyptian looking with all that gold, but I get it now.  Cig.  God.  Well, I loved it at first but the more I look at it, the more garish it is.  I think it is going to be Cig for the win, and I am not at ALL thrilled about this week's challenge.  Maybe I'll be wrong, but............

• Love 2

I'm so glad I'm not alone in hating Cig's gargoyle.  We thought it was just us.  Loved Emily's eagle gargoyle.  We thought that one really deserved to win.  I'll miss Tyler.  He is just such a sweet man.  And I did mostly like his gargoyle.  Didn't care for George's, but I give him mad props for coming up with anything at all.  What a weird style to put in there.  We liked all of the final 4, so we would have been sorry to see any of them go.  But we're really hoping for an Emily win now.  :)

• Love 1

It broke my heart a little to see Tyler go. I don't really remember him from his first season but he's been so sweet this season and he's done consistently good work. I love Emily so I'm glad she got through. I wonder if the judges were swayed by their feelings toward Cig and George in general. I mean, Cig's gargoyle was a lot of work but if we were going to talk about anyone just sticking a building onto their character... Also, I didn't feel like there was a lot of depth to the paint on the onion domes. I did think George achieved a lot in making his gargoyle look like metal which was my criticism of Emily's gargoyle. But come on with those wings. I think Tyler did a beautiful job with the paint and there was nothing wrong with his gargoyle for Victorian but it looked a little generic because those forms are so often used for demon characters, etc. And really the worst you can say is that and that he's sculpted somewhat similar things in the past. But his was the most fully realized character up there. I don't feel good about this one. I feel like they were clearing the way for next week's winner by getting rid of some competition. 

• Love 2
On 4/18/2017 at 10:24 PM, Maelstrom said:

A gargoyle must have a rain spout.

They did, but you can't show their "rain spouts" on basic cable. You need HBO to show those. ;) Yes, I came back after all this time just so I could make that joke. Sorry. But since I'm here...

On 4/22/2017 at 7:54 PM, seacliffsal said:

I kind of thought it was set up that whoever chose deconstructivism would be going home because it would be so difficult to realize.  

After seeing the Walt Disney Concert Hall photo, I would have LOVED to have had Deconstructivism. I'd probably stick with sharper edges than what George did. I realize the main reason his wing(s) was so basic was because he ran out of time, but I would have at least cut it in two, and rotated them up slightly as if they were two slightly tilted diamond shapes. But again, George  was right in choosing a non-symmetrical face and a totally bizarre wing as these turned out to be good things that fit the style better. I probably would have been sent home since I probably would have went symmetrical, but with angular, sharp edges. The less said about that hideous gold horn the better. If you're going to do horns, then I would have done two spire shapes that basically followed the back of the head and then down like two stiff dreadlocks. Oh well.

Tyler's was a beautifully done generic gargoyle, but it wasn't Victorian. Except for the wings, I didn't mind Cig's that much, as he put a lot of detailed sculpt into it. I would also have left off the crosses on top of the domes. Turning them into shoulder pads was fairly clever. Tyler's work was better, but Cig fit closer to the challenge.

• Love 2