Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Burglary

• Start Topic

You’ve been burglarized, Grace, not robbed.  I know, I know – almost everyone says it the way she did (even one of the cops in the episode).  But she’s so precise, I’d have been very pleased if she’d said it correctly. 

“Dusty bag of elbows” Ha!

Brianna asking if she should take the jewelry with her to keep it safe also made me laugh.  Almost everything resulting from the burglary made me laugh:

- “I think it was supposed to be men’s shoes, but Mom thought that was too heteronormative.”

- Frankie declaring squatter’s rights to Grace’s bed

- “Do you want me to do things to you?”
   “Stop asking me that.”

- The upside down TV

- The Frankie dummy

But, wow, Grace keeping a gun in the house without Frankie's knowledge.  That's something you absolutely have to disclose; I wouldn't want to live in a house with a gun, either (precisely because you're statistically more likely to wind up using it against the wrong person, or "person" in Grace's case, rather than successfully defending yourself with it).  And to have your friend outright ask you to promise, and lie to her face?  This is going to be big.

And, WTF, Grace?  You seriously just shoot first and ask questions later?  What if that had been one of the kids?  Hell, what if it had been a burglar?  An unarmed burglar sitting in a chair.  He'd have deserved a bullet through the head rather than an arrest (for a non-capital crime)?

Grace’s medicine was missing from the nightstand on night two.

Sol has no right to get pissy about not being included in “drinkies” since that’s for the people in the production (it’s the same as going to happy hour with coworkers before going home; nobody has their spouse come join them for that), but Robert shouldn’t have padded his rehearsal time to begin with – just say, “I have rehearsal until 9, and then we’re going out for drinks; I’ll be home a little after 10.”

Interesting fight about Sol "inning" Robert, because I'm with both of them -- they shouldn't deny what they did, which involves being both cheating assholes and trapped products of their time, but they don't need to go around blurting it out to the world, either.  This will obviously continue to be a thing, with the liberation Robert feels being part of a gay community - and that particular community being one that Sol is not part of.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

I did think they rather underplayed the fact that Grace shot to kill without even a warning or question. That it was a dummy/decoy doesn't change that huge problem. Frankie's hysterical tantrum regarding that was dismissed by pretty much every other character, even those that supporter her anti-gun POV.

That's the biggest part of her owning a gun that bothered me, despite the fact that I hate guns and wouldn't have one in my house.

• Love 6

Well, that escalated quickly. I think the writers pulled a good sleight of hand. The audience is all focused on Frankie freaking out but Grace is also rattled. Maybe not from the beginning but that crime prevention class was probably the watershed. The whole 'soil yourself'-part was played for laughs as were the officer's answers when Grace asked about ways to physically defend herself. But he took away all her sense of control (and dignity) and to someone like Grace that was terrible. Not saying he gave bad advice but maybe he should have worded it differently, less ageist maybe because I'm sure the advice to not physically engage intruders applies to all of us (except maybe Navy SEALS) whether we are in our prime or not.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, MissLucas said:

Not saying he gave bad advice but maybe he should have worded it differently less ageist maybe because I'm sure the advice to not physically engage intruders applies to all of us (even except maybe Navy SEALS) whether we are in our prime or not.

Yeah, the officers I know tend to be a bit more diplomatic about that sort of thing, even though they don't pull punches in general.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2017 at 6:35 PM, Clanstarling said:

I did think they rather underplayed the fact that Grace shot to kill without even a warning or question. That it was a dummy/decoy doesn't change that huge problem. Frankie's hysterical tantrum regarding that was dismissed by pretty much every other character, even those that supporter her anti-gun POV.

Yup.  

I have to admit I was a little squeeked out about how calm Grace was shooting.  I mean, not that she was completely nonplussed, but it almost seemed to me like she relished the opportunity to put her handgun to use.

• Love 3

That bothered me too. She didn't give a warning, nothing, just shot. She could've literally killed Frankie.

This is not going to end well, and those two are not going to be okay for a couple episodes...she flat out lied to her best friend and roommate, the only person on earth who can put up with her unconditionally. This is gonna cost her. I too can't have, won't have, will never have, a gun in the house. Just...no...

Also bothered me that they were robbed/burglarized and Grace. Feels. Nothing. That is not realistic. At all. You think at the beach in an exclusive community you're safe. I expected them to have alarms and lights, etc. installed with the cops coming out every time Frankie forgets and sets off the alarm...did not expect Grace to be so blase` about it and just take a bunch of pills and go to sleep. On what planet do the writers live? 

I also expected one of the kids/Frankie's boyfriend to insist on staying until they GOT the alarm system...

They dropped the ball on this one.

• Love 5

Gun arguments aside, one thing really bugged me...Grace hears breaking glass, goes down stairs w/ the gun and sees the broken glass before she shoots.  How did the glass break?  Was there a 2nd B&E? Are G &F being stalked? Did Frankie do it by accident?  Did a bird fly into it?  Did Bud & Coyote's DIY attempt to fix the 1st break in spontaneously combust?  I've watched several subsequent episodes and NO ONE answers this very important question!! (unless they did explain it in this episode, and I wasn't paying close enough attention...then never mind)

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Gun arguments aside, one thing really bugged me...Grace hears breaking glass, goes down stairs w/ the gun and sees the broken glass before she shoots.  How did the glass break?  Was there a 2nd B&E? Are G &F being stalked? Did Frankie do it by accident?  Did a bird fly into it?  Did Bud & Coyote's DIY attempt to fix the 1st break in spontaneously combust?  I've watched several subsequent episodes and NO ONE answers this very important question!! (unless they did explain it in this episode, and I wasn't paying close enough attention...then never mind)

It was very windy, and Bud and Coyote had replaced the glass having seen how to do it on a Youtube video. My assumption is that they didn't do a particularly good job, and the wind blew it out.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

That bothered me, too.  It also really bothered me that Grace had been in that self-defense class where she was told, point blank (heh heh) not to every engage with an intruder.  Then, she thinks there might be an intruder and she goes all Cool Hand Luke on...whoever.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2017 at 2:38 PM, hnygrl said:

Also bothered me that they were robbed/burglarized and Grace. Feels. Nothing. That is not realistic. At all. You think at the beach in an exclusive community you're safe. I expected them to have alarms and lights, etc. installed with the cops coming out every time Frankie forgets and sets off the alarm...did not expect Grace to be so blase` about it and just take a bunch of pills and go to sleep. On what planet do the writers live? 

What I took from that was Grace is used to shutting down and turning off her emotions and that's what she did. When that happens, it comes out sideways, like her gun issue. Frankie may be an emo mess but most of the time she's out there with how she feels and it doesn't seem to come back to bite her in the ass much. This is going to be a big one for Grace to work through.

• Love 3
On 3/28/2017 at 6:10 AM, Clanstarling said:

It was very windy, and Bud and Coyote had replaced the glass having seen how to do it on a Youtube video. My assumption is that they didn't do a particularly good job, and the wind blew it out.

Brilliant!  They left that hanging.  

• Love 3

I also expected one of the kids/Frankie's boyfriend to insist on staying until they GOT the alarm system...

I wouldn't have expected that.  While I do think if this was real life, there would be an alarm, ultimately, it would be Grace and Frankie's decision.  It would be pretty patronizing for one of their children or Frankie's boyfriend to insist that they would stay at the house until the women did whatever they were asking.  Not to mention, I can't imagine Grace or Frankie allowing for that type of behavior.   

On 3/27/2017 at 1:19 PM, OtterMommy said:

I have to admit I was a little squeeked out about how calm Grace was shooting.

Yeah, apparently it's a lot different than mistakenly putting rat poison in someone's coffee because it looks just like Skinny and Sweet (except for the little skull and crossbones on the label)..... ;)

• Love 4
On 6/7/2017 at 8:37 AM, mahree said:

mistakenly putting rat poison in someone's coffee because it looks just like Skinny and Sweet

Excellent callback! 

I would love for Dolly to do a cameo on the show. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/8/2017 at 8:20 PM, ahisma said:

Excellent callback! 

I would love for Dolly to do a cameo on the show. 

DEADLINE: Well, with all the guest stars you’ve had on Grace and Frankie so far and Peter Gallagher joining this year, it does seem that a place to go, at least casting-wise, would be to Dolly Parton. Now that the show is solidly established, is there a plan to finally get her on the series like Lily has indicated, and bring the 9 To 5 gang back together?

KAUFFMAN: We have talked about it and hopefully we’ll find a way to do it someday. She’s got a very, very busy schedule, so when we can make it work we’ll try to make it work if it fits in the story. Honestly, I’ve really given this a great deal of thought in terms of Dolly. The truth is, at first I was hesitant because I don’t want it to feel like a 9 To 5 reunion. On the other hand, if we can find a way to do it where it doesn’t feel to us it’s like the reunion of these three people but we have a special way in, then sure. Absolutely.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/grace-frankie-season-3-spoilers-marta-kauffman-interview-jane-fonda-lily-tomlin-netflix-1202049413/

I hope she gets a small part rather than a cameo.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2