Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

Time to let 32 go!  It's funny, but not enough to hold up to the rest of these powerhouses.

Favorite Snarky/Sarcastic Comments

14.  "Only prostitutes have two glasses of wine at lunch." "Well, then, buy me a boa and drive me to Reno because I am open for business."  (Emily - Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller)

20.  "This is a serious problem. These Friday dinners are the only proper food that child eats all week." "Rory, are you in any way malnourished or in need of some international relief organization to recruit a celebrity to raise money on your account?" "I'm good." "She's good, Emily."  (Richard - Love & War & Snow)

25.  "People are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to any more of them."  (Michel - Pilot)

40.  "I'm going to have color coming out of my yin-yang."  "Well, then, maybe you'll finally get a man."  (Rory - The Fundamental Things Apply)

Our Top Three!

14.  "Only prostitutes have two glasses of wine at lunch." "Well, then, buy me a boa and drive me to Reno because I am open for business."  (Emily - Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller)

20.  "This is a serious problem. These Friday dinners are the only proper food that child eats all week." "Rory, are you in any way malnourished or in need of some international relief organization to recruit a celebrity to raise money on your account?" "I'm good." "She's good, Emily."  (Richard - Love & War & Snow)

25.  "People are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to any more of them."  (Michel - Pilot)

Voting out 20 ONLY because 25 gets used a lot in everyday conversation around here.

Which one will be our winner??

14 to win.  25 is more of commentary and not sarcasm to me.  So despite the fact that I have it on a coffee mug, I am voting for 14.

Well it barely eeked out a win, but -

"People are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to any more of them."  (Michel - Pilot)

is our Favorite Sarcastic/Snarky Comment!  Ah, Michel.  You speak for us all, friend.

I had a different topic in mind for next game, but it's one that Lulu is not going to want to miss out on because it will be pretty Luke-heavy, so how about we do Favorite Scenes Where a Character is Embarrassed next?  I'm thinking there are enough "lightly embarrassing" moments that this will be a fun one.  Here's a couple I have in mind to start -

1.  Rory looks around to see if anyone is listening to Lorelai singing painting songs at Luke's.  "Yeah, painting songs. Like, uh, you know, the song that goes, um...'Grab your brush and grab your rollers/All you kids and all you...bowlers/We're going paintin' today!' Say yes or there's another verse!" (That Damn Donna Reed)

2.  Lorelai finds out the way she was acting while drunk at Lane's reception wasn't a dream.  "The posing, the strutting, the inappropriate gyrating?" "All caught on video and several of Zach's buddies' camera phones."  (Super Cool Party People)

(edited)

Ooooh, what about when Patty and Babette are wearing robes while sitting with Luke, Someone's slips and he accidentally gets a peek? (I think it was Babette?)

Or the time Sookie accidentally touched his butt. 

When Paris accidentally stumbles into the banana eating contest during Spring Break. 

This didn't actually happen on screen, so I'm not sure if it counts, but Lane runs her hands through Rich Bloomenfield's hair during band practice. 

Edited by ghoulina
(edited)

Rory trying to flirt in the laundry room in  her dorm building and getting shot down.

Christopher’s credit card getting rejected at the book store when he wants to buy Rory the Oxford English Dictionary.

Emily is embarrassed at the attentions of Silver Fox (Hal Lindon) at a restaurant. (There’s the Rub)

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Rory trying to flirt in the laundry room in  her dorm building and getting shot down.

Then when Rory calls the boy out in class and acts like he's talking about their encounter, only to find out it was about someone else. 

Favorite Scenes Where a Character is Embarrassed 

1.  Rory looks around to see if anyone is listening to Lorelai singing painting songs at Luke's.  "Yeah, painting songs. Like, uh, you know, the song that goes, um...'Grab your brush and grab your rollers/All you kids and all you...bowlers/We're going paintin' today!' Say yes or there's another verse!" (That Damn Donna Reed)

2.  Lorelai finds out the way she was acting while drunk at Lane's reception wasn't a dream.  "The posing, the strutting, the inappropriate gyrating?" "All caught on video and several of Zach's buddies' camera phones."  (Super Cool Party People)

3.  Jackson gets confirmation that he got more than a little tipsy while playing the Squire at the Bracebridge Dinner.  "Hey, uh, by the way, last night when Bootsy was singing Hotel California and banging spoons on his head, did I…" "Lift up your shirt and play drums on your stomach? Yes, you did." "Oh boy." "You kept a good beat." (Bracebridge Dinner)

4.  Luke sits with Miss Patty and Babette for dinner during the test run of the Dragonfly.  They are both in their bathrobes.  "He's shy. My bathrobe slipped earlier, and his poor little heart couldn't take it." "He's been staring at his salad ever since."  (Raincoats & Recipes)

5.  Luke checks out the damage from the fire at the Independence Inn.  "So, what's going on with Luke here?" "I don't know. I've been keeping my distance because of what happened." "What happened?" "Well, he was lying on the floor pretty much like that, tinkering with stuff back there, and I got down and leaned in to see what he was doing, and after a while, I realized that the whole time, my hand was on his butt." "Sookie!" "It was an accident!" "It's getting very Cinemax at night in here."  (Keg! Max!)

6.  The Yalies are on Spring Break.  Paris is starving.  "I must be crazy for thinking a banana-eating contest was about eating a banana!"  (Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist)

7.  Lane is obsessed with Rich Bloomingfeld's hair.  "You touched whose hair?" "Rich. Bloomingfeld." "Why would you touch Rich Bloomingfeld's hair?" "Why? That's a good question. I don't know why. Why would a sane person do a thing like that? Maybe I'm not sane. Maybe I'm going through some sort of phase. Maybe I really, really needed someone to talk to about this and you weren't there." "Lane, come on." "No, you come on. You're always at school or you're talking about school or you're with Dean. You have everything now and I have nothing except for 2000 Korean bibles and a potential 'F' in jazz band."  (Love & War & Snow)

8.  Rory meets a seemingly cool guy in the laundry room and awkwardly asks him out.  "Hey, would you maybe wanna get a cup of coffee sometime, in between classes or something?" "I don't think so, but thanks." "You're welcome."  (The Fundamental Things Apply)

9.  Later, Rory hears about some psycho girl who won't stop chasing after Laundry Room Guy and assumes he's talking about her.  "I wasn't talking about you." "What?" "There was this girl from the third floor, she asked me out like a hundred times. She followed me to class. She baked me a cake every day for a month, then she snuck in my window and hid in my closet, covered in whipped cream." "Oh, well, that is a little…extreme." "I didn't tell anybody about the laundry room." "Well, good. Um, do you think that you could maybe not tell anyone this story also, 'cause, that would be great. Thanks."  (In the Clamor and the Clangor)

10.  Christopher comes to Stars Hollow for the first time and tells Rory to pick out any book she wants at Andrew's.  "Could you maybe hold that for us? I’ll come back tomorrow with another card." "Sure, Chris, no problem." "Thanks. Come on. Now you’ll really remember me."  (Christopher Returns)

11.  Emily and Lorelai ditch the healthy spa dinner and accidentally end up at a 60/40 bar.  "You knew this whole evening made me uncomfortable and yet you kept pushing." "I was trying to do everything right. You manipulated me into taking this trip and still I came. You told me I was acting like a teenager, so I tried to be nicer. You said you needed to eat, so I made that happen." "Yes, by sitting me at a bar where you practically forced me to engage in inappropriate behavior." "What?" "You let me get sixty-fortied!"  (There's the Rub)

12.  The townies find out Luke and Lorelai are dating when Lorelai accidentally goes downstairs to the diner wearing only Luke's shirt.  "You walked into the diner like that?" "I didn't think the diner could open without you." "I had Caesar open." "Well, he did, with a floor show."  (Written in the Stars)

(edited)

Oh that's a good one!

3.  Jackson gets confirmation that he got more than a little tipsy while playing the Squire at the Bracebridge Dinner.  "Hey, uh, by the way, last night when Bootsy was singing Hotel California and banging spoons on his head, did I…" "Lift up your shirt and play drums on your stomach? Yes, you did." "Oh boy." "You kept a good beat." (Bracebridge Dinner)

4.  Luke sits with Miss Patty and Babette for dinner during the test run of the Dragonfly.  They are both in their bathrobes.  "He's shy. My bathrobe slipped earlier, and his poor little heart couldn't take it." "He's been staring at his salad ever since."  (Raincoats & Recipes)

5.  Luke checks out the damage from the fire at the Independence Inn.  "So, what's going on with Luke here?" "I don't know. I've been keeping my distance because of what happened." "What happened?" "Well, he was lying on the floor pretty much like that, tinkering with stuff back there, and I got down and leaned in to see what he was doing, and after a while, I realized that the whole time, my hand was on his butt." "Sookie!" "It was an accident!" "It's getting very Cinemax at night in here."  (Keg! Max!)

6.  The Yalies are on Spring Break.  Paris is starving.  "I must be crazy for thinking a banana-eating contest was about eating a banana!"  (Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist)

7.  Lane is obsessed with Rich Bloomingfeld's hair.  "You touched whose hair?" "Rich. Bloomingfeld." "Why would you touch Rich Bloomingfeld's hair?" "Why? That's a good question. I don't know why. Why would a sane person do a thing like that? Maybe I'm not sane. Maybe I'm going through some sort of phase. Maybe I really, really needed someone to talk to about this and you weren't there." "Lane, come on." "No, you come on. You're always at school or you're talking about school or you're with Dean. You have everything now and I have nothing except for 2000 Korean bibles and a potential 'F' in jazz band."  (Love & War & Snow)

8.  Rory meets a seemingly cool guy in the laundry room and awkwardly asks him out.  "Hey, would you maybe wanna get a cup of coffee sometime, in between classes or something?" "I don't think so, but thanks." "You're welcome."  (The Fundamental Things Apply)

9.  Later, Rory hears about some psycho girl who won't stop chasing after Laundry Room Guy and assumes he's talking about her.  "I wasn't talking about you." "What?" "There was this girl from the third floor, she asked me out like a hundred times. She followed me to class. She baked me a cake every day for a month, then she snuck in my window and hid in my closet, covered in whipped cream." "Oh, well, that is a little…extreme." "I didn't tell anybody about the laundry room." "Well, good. Um, do you think that you could maybe not tell anyone this story also, 'cause, that would be great. Thanks."  (In the Clamor and the Clangor)

10.  Christopher comes to Stars Hollow for the first time and tells Rory to pick out any book she wants at Andrew's.  "Could you maybe hold that for us? I’ll come back tomorrow with another card." "Sure, Chris, no problem." "Thanks. Come on. Now you’ll really remember me."  (Christopher Returns)

11.  Emily and Lorelai ditch the healthy spa dinner and accidentally end up at a 60/40 bar.  "You knew this whole evening made me uncomfortable and yet you kept pushing." "I was trying to do everything right. You manipulated me into taking this trip and still I came. You told me I was acting like a teenager, so I tried to be nicer. You said you needed to eat, so I made that happen." "Yes, by sitting me at a bar where you practically forced me to engage in inappropriate behavior." "What?" "You let me get sixty-fortied!"  (There's the Rub)

12.  The townies find out Luke and Lorelai are dating when Lorelai accidentally goes downstairs to the diner wearing only Luke's shirt.  "You walked into the diner like that?" "I didn't think the diner could open without you." "I had Caesar open." "Well, he did, with a floor show."  (Written in the Stars)

13.  Jess admits to Luke how he got a black eye.  "I was attacked by a swan. Okay, you happy? A stupid swan." "Now, how ‘bout the real story?" "That is the real story. It hangs out by Larson’s Dock. I was just walking by and the thing came out of nowhere and bam – beaked me right in the eye." "It beaked you?" "You still don’t believe me." "I just never heard anyone use the word 'beaked' as a verb before."  (Swan Song)

14.  Rory drags Paris off stage - and C-SPAN - during Paris' "I didn't get into Harvard" meltdown.  "I’m being punished. I had sex, so now I don’t get to go to Harvard." "Paris, come on." "She’s never had sex. She’ll probably go to Harvard. She’s a shoo-in. Pack your chastity belt, Gilmore – you’re going to Harvard!"  (The Big One)

15.  Richard and Emily have reconciled after months of separation.  "When did this reconciliation happen?" "Yesterday." "And last night. And this morning." "Richard!"  (Come Home)

16.  Lorelai stumbles while sneaking in late to a school meeting and knocks over a globe.  "What in the world?!"  (The Deer Hunters)

17.  Mia comes to town and spills the beans that Luke wore the same Star Trek t-shirt every day for a year as a kid.  "I was not a Trekkie." "Uh uh, I do believe that denying you were a Trekkie is a violation of the prime directive." "Indubitably, Captain."  (The Ins and Outs of Inns)

18.  Richard and Emily are having a noisy fight outside the house.  Emily is in her sweater and pantyhose after her skirt got caught as she was climbing out the basement window.  "Is there some sort of problem here, folks?" "No. There's no problem." "We got a call from some of your neighbors complaining about a disturbance." "We apologize. We're going inside right now." "Do not tell me what to do!"  (Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller)

19.  Gran takes Emily and Lorelai out to tea, where they argue over Rory's trust fund.  "Raising your voice during high tea, who ever heard of such a thing. It’s like Fergie all over again." "Oh Gran, please, I’m so sorry. We’re done. Please don’t leave." "I can see now that offering that trust fund was a bad idea. After all, taking into account the maturity level of those involved, this large amount of money would probably not be safe." "No, Gran, that isn’t true. Rory is an incredibly mature kid." "Oh I’m sure she is. It’s you I’m worried about."  (The Third Lorelai)

20.  Lorelai spies Luke's track team picture in the trophy case at the school.  "For the love of. . .what’s that doing there?" "What’s it doing? It’s yelling, ‘Mock me, mock me!’" "It shouldn’t be there." "Oh no, you’re right. It should have its own special display at the diner with a big old spotlight on it." "Don’t they need my permission for this? This should be illegal." "No, those shorts with that tank top should be illegal."  (One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes)

21.  Rory realizes Jess helped with Uncle Louie's wake and calls him out on it.  "You did a good thing." "What do you mean?" "I thought my mom set this up. Turns out she didn’t." "So? Wasn’t me." "It wasn’t?" "Nah, no way. It wasn’t me." "If you say so." "Look, the crazy ballet teacher called and asked when Luke was getting back from the funeral, if I could unlock the door. I came down, I unlocked the door, then went back upstairs and back to sleep." "So you did do a little something." "I unlocked the door." "So that people could come in here and put this together. Nice." "Nice for them, not for me."  (Dead Uncles & Vegetables)

22.  Tom catches Married!Dean and Rory about to kiss.  "Dean! How we doing with those doors?" "W-we're doing fine, Tom."  (Raincoats & Recipes)

23.  Rory is going to help build a Rebuilding Together house with the hammer Lorelai decorated with feathers, rhinestones, and bows.  "You dressed up a hammer?" "No, my mother did. She does that. She, um, she takes things that aren't pretty and makes them pretty, like a hammer, you know. One time she made individual outfits for my liquid paper bottles. A clown, a cowboy, a newscaster. She's not insane, she just sounds it."  (Hammers & Veils)

Edited by Taryn74

Just have to say these are fun ones and I shall miss playing the game.

I will be on a cruise. I wonder if there will be a guy playing music with glasses filled with water?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lulu1960 said:

I will be on a cruise. I wonder if there will be a guy playing music with glasses filled with water?

So jealous!!!  I hope you have a wonderful time.

Okay we've got enough to start voting now!  Voting against three.

13.  Jess admits to Luke how he got a black eye.  "I was attacked by a swan. Okay, you happy? A stupid swan." "Now, how ‘bout the real story?" "That is the real story. It hangs out by Larson’s Dock. I was just walking by and the thing came out of nowhere and bam – beaked me right in the eye." "It beaked you?" "You still don’t believe me." "I just never heard anyone use the word 'beaked' as a verb before."  (Swan Song)

14.  Rory drags Paris off stage - and C-SPAN - during Paris' "I didn't get into Harvard" meltdown.  "I’m being punished. I had sex, so now I don’t get to go to Harvard." "Paris, come on." "She’s never had sex. She’ll probably go to Harvard. She’s a shoo-in. Pack your chastity belt, Gilmore – you’re going to Harvard!"  (The Big One)

15.  Richard and Emily have reconciled after months of separation.  "When did this reconciliation happen?" "Yesterday." "And last night. And this morning." "Richard!"  (Come Home)

16.  Lorelai stumbles while sneaking in late to a school meeting and knocks over a globe.  "What in the world?!"  (The Deer Hunters)

17.  Mia comes to town and spills the beans that Luke wore the same Star Trek t-shirt every day for a year as a kid.  "I was not a Trekkie." "Uh uh, I do believe that denying you were a Trekkie is a violation of the prime directive." "Indubitably, Captain."  (The Ins and Outs of Inns)

18.  Richard and Emily are having a noisy fight outside the house.  Emily is in her sweater and pantyhose after her skirt got caught as she was climbing out the basement window.  "Is there some sort of problem here, folks?" "No. There's no problem." "We got a call from some of your neighbors complaining about a disturbance." "We apologize. We're going inside right now." "Do not tell me what to do!"  (Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller)

19.  Gran takes Emily and Lorelai out to tea, where they argue over Rory's trust fund.  "Raising your voice during high tea, who ever heard of such a thing. It’s like Fergie all over again." "Oh Gran, please, I’m so sorry. We’re done. Please don’t leave." "I can see now that offering that trust fund was a bad idea. After all, taking into account the maturity level of those involved, this large amount of money would probably not be safe." "No, Gran, that isn’t true. Rory is an incredibly mature kid." "Oh I’m sure she is. It’s you I’m worried about."  (The Third Lorelai)

20.  Lorelai spies Luke's track team picture in the trophy case at the school.  "For the love of. . .what’s that doing there?" "What’s it doing? It’s yelling, ‘Mock me, mock me!’" "It shouldn’t be there." "Oh no, you’re right. It should have its own special display at the diner with a big old spotlight on it." "Don’t they need my permission for this? This should be illegal." "No, those shorts with that tank top should be illegal."  (One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes)

21.  Rory realizes Jess helped with Uncle Louie's wake and calls him out on it.  "You did a good thing." "What do you mean?" "I thought my mom set this up. Turns out she didn’t." "So? Wasn’t me." "It wasn’t?" "Nah, no way. It wasn’t me." "If you say so." "Look, the crazy ballet teacher called and asked when Luke was getting back from the funeral, if I could unlock the door. I came down, I unlocked the door, then went back upstairs and back to sleep." "So you did do a little something." "I unlocked the door." "So that people could come in here and put this together. Nice." "Nice for them, not for me."  (Dead Uncles & Vegetables)

22.  Tom catches Married!Dean and Rory about to kiss.  "Dean! How we doing with those doors?" "W-we're doing fine, Tom."  (Raincoats & Recipes)

23.  Rory is going to help build a Rebuilding Together house with the hammer Lorelai decorated with feathers, rhinestones, and bows.  "You dressed up a hammer?" "No, my mother did. She does that. She, um, she takes things that aren't pretty and makes them pretty, like a hammer, you know. One time she made individual outfits for my liquid paper bottles. A clown, a cowboy, a newscaster. She's not insane, she just sounds it."  (Hammers & Veils)

24.  Lorelai comes looking for Rory to take wedding pics and finds her making out with Logan.  "Grandma wants a picture." "Of this?"  (Wedding Bell Blues)

25.  Tristan lets it slip that him asking Paris out was Rory's idea.  "I am not your charity case!" "No it’s not like that, I swear. I just thought you guys would make a good couple, that’s all." "We did make a good couple -- for one night! But obviously we’re more suited to just being friends, or at least that was what was conveyed so humiliatingly to me just five seconds ago." "Paris, I’m sorry - " "I hate you!"  (The Third Lorelai)

26.  Jackson desperately tries to shut Rune up when they come to pick Sookie and Lorelai up for their double date.  "When she came to the door it never crossed my mind that that was who I had to spend the evening with. I thought it was her East German maid or something." "You’re being ridiculous, she’s not that tall!" "She’s tall enough!" "Would you keep it down, she’s gonna hear you!" "With those big ears I bet she can."  (Double Date)

27.  Rory and Paris get into it in front of Headmaster Charleston.  "Well, that was delightful, wasn’t it? I’m not sure which is more embarrassing – having Charleston yell at us or knowing we actually had a 'shut up/no, you shut up' fight in front of him. So, what do you think, Paris? Do you feel as completely rotten as I do?" "No."  (Lorelai Out of Water)

28.  Lorelai and Rory get into a fight about the car accident at Richard's launch party and then realize how loudly they were yelling.  "I’m sorry, but when my daughter comes home broken I get to hate the guy who broke her. That’s how it works. He’s gone, I win. You are wearing a cast and I get to hate him forever!" "Fine!" "Fine!" "Fine!" "I just had this image of thirty-five businessmen, six servers, one pointman all leaning up against that wall with glasses to their ears." "I don’t think they needed the glasses."  (Help Wanted)

22 - I've gotta say, I really love the way Tom handled things in this scene.  It's very subtle, but he manages to convey an attitude of 'I'm not going to pretend I didn't just see what I just saw, and it's not my business but you both know this isn't right' without saying a word.  Two thumbs up.

10 - I know this scene is supposed to be just another checkmark against Loser!Chris, but having been in similar situations way too many times, I feel so badly for him.

8 - Meh.  Laundry room guy was cool and all, and it was refreshing to see a guy not bowled over by Rory, but the scene is not really anything special.

Still voting against three.

24.  Lorelai comes looking for Rory to take wedding pics and finds her making out with Logan.  "Grandma wants a picture." "Of this?"  (Wedding Bell Blues)

25.  Tristan lets it slip that him asking Paris out was Rory's idea.  "I am not your charity case!" "No it’s not like that, I swear. I just thought you guys would make a good couple, that’s all." "We did make a good couple -- for one night! But obviously we’re more suited to just being friends, or at least that was what was conveyed so humiliatingly to me just five seconds ago." "Paris, I’m sorry - " "I hate you!"  (The Third Lorelai)

26.  Jackson desperately tries to shut Rune up when they come to pick Sookie and Lorelai up for their double date.  "When she came to the door it never crossed my mind that that was who I had to spend the evening with. I thought it was her East German maid or something." "You’re being ridiculous, she’s not that tall!" "She’s tall enough!" "Would you keep it down, she’s gonna hear you!" "With those big ears I bet she can."  (Double Date)

27.  Rory and Paris get into it in front of Headmaster Charleston.  "Well, that was delightful, wasn’t it? I’m not sure which is more embarrassing – having Charleston yell at us or knowing we actually had a 'shut up/no, you shut up' fight in front of him. So, what do you think, Paris? Do you feel as completely rotten as I do?" "No."  (Lorelai Out of Water)

28.  Lorelai and Rory get into a fight about the car accident at Richard's launch party and then realize how loudly they were yelling.  "I’m sorry, but when my daughter comes home broken I get to hate the guy who broke her. That’s how it works. He’s gone, I win. You are wearing a cast and I get to hate him forever!" "Fine!" "Fine!" "Fine!" "I just had this image of thirty-five businessmen, six servers, one pointman all leaning up against that wall with glasses to their ears." "I don’t think they needed the glasses."  (Help Wanted)

15 - I can't believe this one is out so soon!  Emily's "Richard!" - Rory's face when she realizes what Richard is saying - Lorelai's chiding herself "Don't ask questions, don't ask questions, don't ask questions" - Richard's smugness.  Bahahahahaha.  I love it all.

3 - Hee hee hee.  Yeah it's just a throwaway scene.  Still amuses me.

28 - I will never not hate Lorelai's utter childishness over the car accident.

Still three!