Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I really liked the photos of Maddie in the Schon shoot. Someone definitely needs to reach her mom that modeling JPG (racist pig) is definitely not a good move...

John Galliano is the racist pig. He was fired from Dior, I think, for saying ugly things to Jewish women about Hitler.  He's nasty.   I don't like Gaultier (?sp) for other reasons. 

• Love 1

Her voice is mediocre, but she does have stage presence. If she wants a chance she needs to drop the autotune for good and stick with her actual voice; it won't blow people out of the water, but a lot of artists who are similar to her have similar voices. 

• Love 1

Maddie was saying that she hopes to work with Sia for a long time, but Sia's moved on to Heidi Klum?

http://www.elle.com/culture/music/news/a27853/heidi-klum-sia-music-video/

Oh, nm apparently she wants Maddie to be in films?

http://www.popsugar.com.au/celebrity/Sia-Furler-Dan-Maz-Interview-About-Maddie-Ziegler-37314062

Maybe Heidi Klum is playing the part that Maddie played but she is all grown up now!  Good for Sia for using a woman in her 40's for her video.

• Love 1

I stumbled on this article today about Maddie, in it she talks about her schedule where she mentioned that she's living in an apartment in LA. None of this should be shocking; but it definitely seems like she's out to LA for significant periods of time now. Also she mentioned hanging out at Sia's house and watching TV---honestly, I get why Maddie would be excited about this, but it makes me question Sia a lot.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/48367/20150422/dance-moms-star-maddie-ziegler-shares-daily-schedule-talks-sia.htm

Here is another interview that is concerning: http://www.designntrend.com/articles/47998/20150419/dance-moms-star-maddie-ziegler-compares-herself-miley-cyrus-hanna.htm

"I'm like Hanna Montana. With my brown hair, that's the person no one really knows, but with the wig on, people know who I am. I'm used to wearing it now, but it hurts my head really bad. I'm doing tricks and flips, so I have to have a lot of pins in it. Sometimes I'm just like, 'Can we get this wig off?' she told the publication.

Edited by Loves2Dance

Abby has an interview on TMZ where she is mad about the new producers on the show.  Wow, that is some really bad makeup on her.  She thinks the producers are working too hard to bring out drama on the show!  Don't they know that's her domain?  

• Love 1

Wow, her face looks dirty not made up.  Or like she had a bad spray tan, or a real tan that's pealing or something.  She makes a valid point though - there are enough antics and jealousy in most competition dance studios that the drama occurs naturally, no real need to amp it up. 

She looked pretty evil saying what she did though "I know exactly what to do to make a child cry and run to their mother".  Blech.

• Love 1

Oh Lord....

Abby's interview with TMZ was weird; I agree that her face almost looked bruised, but the idea that the show is bad because of producers is ehhhhh. IMO, the show started going downhill in Season 3, Season 4 was a new low, and Season 5 is when I started hate watching more than anything. This entire season has been absolutely ridiculous. All of it. 

I did like her award placement though...and her DWTS comment? You cared that the security guard knew your name? How about how the dacners actually feel about you...they all hate you. 

• Love 4

New Short Interview With Christie. Makes me sad :(

http://www.mx.net.au/-/0ec529d7b59b7cdd3799d03a02c2b6c5/

If you follow the link to the Telegraph interview, you'll see this quote that was left out of the posted article:

"The 39-year-old singer Sia Furler, who chooses to hide her face behind masks and wigs, has said that she finds fame “horrible” and that she wants “to be invisible.”"

It makes me mad that this woman is so terrified of fame, but instead chooses to make a 12-year-old face that fame in her place.  It's disgusting.  I feel so terrible for Maddie after reading all of this.

• Love 3

Great article Loves - TY for sharing. I occasionally look for news on Chloe. I think in the long run - her departure from Dance Moms is the best thing that could have happened for her. The new studio videos show a lot of talented dances - I wonder if  they count how many of their students go onto Broadway? I know in the past - Abby has been very helpful to a lot of her students wanting dancing careers. She's even driven them to NY City for auditions - that's the Abby I would have liked to seen and just let the moms be crazy - unfortunately this all went to Abby's head.

I'm sorry but that "article" about Chloe reads like a fangirl blog. The writer seems to be about 12 years old. I love how she mentions her "talent" in every other sentence. It also seems like a script was given to Chloe ahead of time, she filled out the answers and then turned it in. I'm curious to know if this was a live face to face interview. 

My problem with Chloe's things since leaving Dance Moms is that it's all so hypocritical from Christi. I admit that most of my issues with Chloe stem from my feelings about her mother. She took Chloe to a new studio who immediately made her the focus of all of their media efforts, created an entire "team" around her. Yet, isn't that the main criticism that they had about Maddie's role at ALDC? In addition they claim that they want her to just be a normal child but she is clearly pursuing fame just as hard as Melissa is for Maddie. It's clear that the main problem that Christi had with ALDC, other than the issues with Abby that all of them have, is that Chloe wasn't in the limelight. Christi and Chloe pitched the show, then instead of Chloe being the favored child, she was cast as the underdog. While she built a big fanbase, she didn't get all the media focus. 

• Love 3

I'm sorry but that "article" about Chloe reads like a fangirl blog. The writer seems to be about 12 years old. I love how she mentions her "talent" in every other sentence. It also seems like a script was given to Chloe ahead of time, she filled out the answers and then turned it in. I'm curious to know if this was a live face to face interview. 

My problem with Chloe's things since leaving Dance Moms is that it's all so hypocritical from Christi. I admit that most of my issues with Chloe stem from my feelings about her mother. She took Chloe to a new studio who immediately made her the focus of all of their media efforts, created an entire "team" around her. Yet, isn't that the main criticism that they had about Maddie's role at ALDC? In addition they claim that they want her to just be a normal child but she is clearly pursuing fame just as hard as Melissa is for Maddie. It's clear that the main problem that Christi had with ALDC, other than the issues with Abby that all of them have, is that Chloe wasn't in the limelight. Christi and Chloe pitched the show, then instead of Chloe being the favored child, she was cast as the underdog. While she built a big fanbase, she didn't get all the media focus. 

I don't believe Christi ever said she didn't want Chloe to be famous, she argued against the opportunities only being open to one person. And, given how much we know this show is scripted and controlled, I don't think much of what Christi said beyond Season 1 wasn't influenced. We saw her falling apart at the end just like we did Holly with this, "i'm so over this attitude." 

As for the blog, not great---but I love reading about Chloe. And she was at Studio 19 while she was filming the last season of Dance Mom's; so while they may use her for media purposes, if you look at their FB page they use 95% of non-Chloe's more too. 

I also question where Christi says she pitched the show---this is like the fourth version I've heard of the show coming together, the original version was Abby pitching the show. 

• Love 1

I always thought that Christi and Kelly were the ones that initiated the contact with producers - and I thought in 1 episode a comment was made about it. I'm going to disagree with you Tas - because I don't think the focus is about Chloe at Studio 19. There was not a team formed around her - if anything what I see is the studio using her to promote themselves. What videos I've seen - Chloe is dancing with a group ( and not front and center like Maddie ) and the video pans from side to side over all the girls. Studio 19 has more than proven themselves in the dance world. The other videos of Chloe with any attachment to the studio are mostly duets - so again - she's not front and center. Does she still do outside Meet & Greets - yes - she still has a big fan base. She's done videos, modeling and her own little blog / youtube posts.

And even if the show was pitched by Christi and Kelly - I don't believe their original thoughts were anything more than a show about a crazy dance moms life, a somewhat cranky teacher and the young dancers. I believe Abby started turning the focus away from that and onto Maddie - at the start of the 2nd season for sure. Would I be po'd if my kids were involved in a project under contract that turned out to be anything that was first presented to us - you're darn right I would be!

• Love 3

In every single interview I saw in Season 1 Abby takes credit for pitching Dance Mom's. She tells the story of being in LA and ranting to friends who said turn it into a reality show so she did. Also, it was supposed to be a 6 episode thing...not 6 seasons. By the time Christi probably realized what was happening, her contract was set in stone so I can't really fault her for risking her families financial stability to break it. Especially in the earlier seasons. 

• Love 1

We'll probably never know the full story as everyone wants to take credit. Regardless - I do think the concept of the show changed from what was initially proposed and presented to these moms. I think they saw a great opportunity for their kids ( even if only a 6 week stint - money in the bank for college! ) and a little fun in doing it. The first season was pretty tame, even though the moms had issues, but I think by the start of the 2nd season, Abby's change in demeanor and Maddie openly displayed as the golden child, set off deep seated hurt and anger which along with producer driven suggestions developed into hate for some of the mom's. Although Abby was tough - and not at all what I experienced in my dance career or see in studios today - that first season, her constant punish the kid for what the moms do is what sets me off. If a parent raises a fuss in any other studio I've know - they are either not admitted into the studio or take their child elsewhere - and that scene is far and few between.

• Love 2

Very true; the truth is definitely somewhere in the middle I'm sure. And, I don't disagree---understanding what the show was supposed to be about, I likely would have let my daughter do it. However, what started as a good thing turned bad very quickly---2nd season was bad, but the 3rd season nailed some coffins shut, imo. However, Lifetime is known for this type of thing---if you remember Extreme Couponing, Season 1 was supposed to feature couponers teaching the public how to do it not a free for all and fraud it turned into in later seasons. I know a few featured on Season 1 from my coupon days and every single one said if they could go back in time they would have never ever signed up. 

• Love 2

Loves - I too would have been a consideration for an extreme couponer back when the kid were young. I never dumpster dived but I'd walk the kids early in the morning on garbage day to tear all the Luvs and Pampers pops off the boxes around the neighborhood - how sad is that - but those $50 savings bonds came in handy when they went to college and we ate well for what little money I had for groceries. But I only watched a couple of shows and could see the deception in what they did and it made me sick as that is why companies eventually cut back on all the good offers due to people like them.

In every single interview I saw in Season 1 Abby takes credit for pitching Dance Mom's. She tells the story of being in LA and ranting to friends who said turn it into a reality show so she did. Also, it was supposed to be a 6 episode thing...not 6 seasons. By the time Christi probably realized what was happening, her contract was set in stone so I can't really fault her for risking her families financial stability to break it. Especially in the earlier seasons.

Abby's story is such bullshit. Christi story is more realistic. I saw that casting call ad that Collins Ave put out looking for dance moms & studios. It was inspired by the single ladies girls but all but two or three turned it down.

• Love 2
(edited)

We'll probably never know the full story as everyone wants to take credit. Regardless - I do think the concept of the show changed from what was initially proposed and presented to these moms. I think they saw a great opportunity for their kids ( even if only a 6 week stint - money in the bank for college! ) and a little fun in doing it. The first season was pretty tame, even though the moms had issues, but I think by the start of the 2nd season, Abby's change in demeanor and Maddie openly displayed as the golden child, set off deep seated hurt and anger which along with producer driven suggestions developed into hate for some of the mom's. Although Abby was tough - and not at all what I experienced in my dance career or see in studios today - that first season, her constant punish the kid for what the moms do is what sets me off. If a parent raises a fuss in any other studio I've know - they are either not admitted into the studio or take their child elsewhere - and that scene is far and few between.

Before the show they were out and about. Brooke and Maddie was on live to dance. Then maddie had a few Broadway auditions. I'm sure the others did things as well.

I won't fault them for season 1. I don't think anyone knew what the show would become. However these moms known Abby since their kids were babies. The hate between Christi, Kelly and Abby felt real to me. Even during season 1 Christi was delusional and crazy. She's just as much as a stage mom like Melissa, but at least she has common sense.

I truly believe Abby always favored Melissa and Maddie. Ever since Melissa boyfriend paid Abby's bills and Melissa working at the front desk. Melissa is really like her tv personality in real life. The producers manipulated the results at competitions, and manipulated certain scenes. Now after season 1 after seeing what the producers did and making them all look crazy, they should've said no more. But they didn't. They kept going and kept acting like fools. Abby got worse and didn't hold back because she knew she could get away with it.

Edited by Darknight

Looks like Nia is out - just a few weeks later than I thought.  I think it's in her best interest, Abby has been nothing but destructive towards her for most of this season.

Absolom will have to tell us if this was part of the plan all along with Holly and Nia being the put upon pair for the season - it seems plausible that this was the plan - along with the much higher production values on Nia's video to send her off in a "good" way.

• Love 1
(edited)

And this, is another reason why AfterBuzz is a worthless mess for this or any show - not much honesty happens even from the guest "insiders" either.  It was all unicorns and rainbows two weeks ago from Holly and Nia, no hint that they were pretty much done as of the end of this season.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Is that Maddie in the Sia wig?

I doubt it since it's a parody. 

However, I did finally catch some of the Dancing with the Stars finale and Sia performed Elastic Heart with the Hough siblings and 2 child dancers---the girl casted wasn't Maddie. I kinda wish we could hear Abby & Melissa's thoughts on this. 

• Love 2

It was actually refreshing to see new children dancers; though children and Sia really don't belong in the same sentence, but it was the first time I listened to a Sia song from start to finish since Breathe Me. 

Weird! Especially since Maddie speaks so warmly of Sia. I wonder if it was something as simple as a scheduling conflict? Although many dancers would give their two front teeth to perform withSia on national television.

There is this: http://www.ibtimes.com/maddie-zieglers-mom-accused-refusing-photo-sias-mother-dance-moms-event-1852716

She was on Dancing With the Stars a couple of weeks ago (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJk8h6smIes) so I assume it's not a problem between Maddie/her Mom and the show. I guess it must have been a scheduling thing?  Or maybe they wanted slightly more mature dancers for this particular performance?

Weird! Especially since Maddie speaks so warmly of Sia. I wonder if it was something as simple as a scheduling conflict? Although many dancers would give their two front teeth to perform withSia on national television.

There is this: http://www.ibtimes.com/maddie-zieglers-mom-accused-refusing-photo-sias-mother-dance-moms-event-1852716

I don't know how accurate that is.

Here is the performance: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDji9Y1H84

Kind of a flowers in the attic vibe. The children were phenomenal. Not sure if Maddie could pull this one off!

I agree thanks for the link - although I still don't get what Sia is saying - I enjoyed the choreography much more than the original video.

Has Jaycee been on Dance Moms before? I know we've seen Brynn. The girls were fabulous but I think this is really just a phase having young kids dancing in the videos ect.. Sia made it popular so it's the thing to do now - in a month or so - they'll go on to something else.

I don't know how accurate that is.

Here is the performance: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDji9Y1H84

Kind of a flowers in the attic vibe. The children were phenomenal. Not sure if Maddie could pull this one off!

I agree thanks for the link - although I still don't get what Sia is saying - I enjoyed the choreography much more than the original video.

Has Jaycee been on Dance Moms before? I know we've seen Brynn. The girls were fabulous but I think this is really just a phase having young kids dancing in the videos ect.. Sia made it popular so it's the thing to do now - in a month or so - they'll go on to something else.

Jaycee has not as far as I remember; but Sia did make it popular for now, Alison is probably the original child star to make it a thing back with Missy Elliot. 

She was on Dancing With the Stars a couple of weeks ago (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJk8h6smIes) so I assume it's not a problem between Maddie/her Mom and the show. I guess it must have been a scheduling thing?  Or maybe they wanted slightly more mature dancers for this particular performance?

That performance was tragic. 

• Love 1

I think that Maddie is going to be fine after this show is over. People keep saying that she's only successful because of Sia or because she was favored on the show, but I don't buy it. All of these girls have had exposure because of this show. At any time any celebrity could have contacted any of the other children for a big role, but it hasn't happened. People claim that Maddie has these options because she's the favorite on the show, but if the public is truly swayed by what is on the show, then they would not give any opportunities Maddie as she's clearly seen as the villain. Every other girl on that show gets some sort of sympathy from the public. Maddie gets called a snide, sneaky, mean brat by the same people that lament the treatment of the others at Abby's hands. As if Maddie too is not a child that is simply a pawn in all of this mess. 

So, the fact that she not only caught the attention of Sia, but managed to parlay that into roles on various shows (that were not arranged by Collins), has been on the cover or featured in several real magazines (not these little teeny bop dancewear supported one) speaks volumes. It's likely that any of the girls could have done the Sia thing, but would they have had that IT quality that Maddie did/does that transformed it into so much more? If the case is that any of the girls could do the same thing that Maddie is doing, then why hasn't it happened? 

• Love 1

I think that Maddie is going to be fine after this show is over. People keep saying that she's only successful because of Sia or because she was favored on the show, but I don't buy it. All of these girls have had exposure because of this show. At any time any celebrity could have contacted any of the other children for a big role, but it hasn't happened. People claim that Maddie has these options because she's the favorite on the show, but if the public is truly swayed by what is on the show, then they would not give any opportunities Maddie as she's clearly seen as the villain. Every other girl on that show gets some sort of sympathy from the public. Maddie gets called a snide, sneaky, mean brat by the same people that lament the treatment of the others at Abby's hands. As if Maddie too is not a child that is simply a pawn in all of this mess. 

So, the fact that she not only caught the attention of Sia, but managed to parlay that into roles on various shows (that were not arranged by Collins), has been on the cover or featured in several real magazines (not these little teeny bop dancewear supported one) speaks volumes. It's likely that any of the girls could have done the Sia thing, but would they have had that IT quality that Maddie did/does that transformed it into so much more? If the case is that any of the girls could do the same thing that Maddie is doing, then why hasn't it happened? 

I think it's very important to remember that by Maddie being favored from Season 1 on, she has had the most screen time as an actual dancer---Sia fell in love with her dancing and that is why she was contacted. Replace any of the other girl's with Maddie, and it could have been a different result. It's not the direct reason why, but it does factor.

As for Maddie doing well after the show ends....maybe, but I seriously worry about her mental health. 

I do too. Her mom clearly doesn't know how to deal with her. Melissa treats her like an adult. That clip I found if her crying in the bathroom was horrible. I think Maddie's just repressed and under a lot of pressure. I don't buy the ~*shes an old soul*~ stuff. I worry about her developing crippling anxiety or an eating disorder.

They keep talking about her as a perfectionist, but there is a scary side to perfection that is often unknown. My youngest daughter struggles with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Her version of OCD does not manifest itself like you see in Hollywood---she doesn't need to touch a doorknob 10 times to make sure we don't get into a car accident or lock a door twice to be safe. Her OCD version has manifested itself in her need for perfection; she also has a crazy high IQ which only compounds the issue even further. She's too young for medication to even be a factor, so we use behavior modification tools to teach her coping mechanisms (I only mention this because Maddie actually is old enough for medication; not saying she needs it, saying it would be an option for her), but a lot of the red flags I saw in her that prompted me to get her evaluated, I get glimpsed of in this show and have since the beginning. Melissa talks about Maddie being a perfectionist as if it's a good thing; when the reality is, those who suffer from their deep seeded need for perfection, actually have a very difficult time navigating through life. 

• Love 10

A couple of comments - being Melissa supposedly snubbed Sia's mom, after mom got permission from Sia to meet Maddie, may have upset Sia - as it is due to Sia that Maddie has had all these experiences. A couple of the shows Maddie has been on may very well be as a result to Collins Productions. We don't know if Collins is in anyway involved with Disney, owed a favor or just knows someone high up that suggested Maddie's name for a part. Her being at the Emmys and on the talk shows was again because of Sia and a promotion for Sia. I doubt without that exposure that Maddie would have done any of those including Dancing With the Stars.  More people know of Maddie now due to the video but only a small percentage of the population actually watches Dance Moms and most of those are kids, their moms, or older women like myself who just love to watch dance as I danced when I was younger.

I do feel for Maddie if her perfection goes beyond dance - that's not a good thing and I fear for her because for the last 5 seasons, Maddie has not faced rejection many times - she's been built up - unlike the other girls, who will be able to accept it better - as they get yelled at, passed over for the lead every week, and not given solos even when they are on the top of the pyramid.  Really what Abby and Melissa are doing to Maddie is just as bad as what Abby does to the other girls. Abby doesn't let her fail as she's always given the best choreography and music. If competition is tough and Abby thinks Maddie might not win - throw a bone to Chloe or Kendall, while telling them all along - you think your as good as Maddie - here's your chance to prove it. Abby continually informs the girls that Maddie is the leader and that they all watch her. Now I know she's berating the girls - but she's putting extra pressure on Maddie to not only do well herself but to make sure her teammates do well. Most "teams" are headed by a more senior member, who may not be the best but has more maturity and is more responsible than the younger members. When I danced - there was never a showcased dancer - we worked as a team - Sam was fantastic and being a boy,when few boys danced, could of been made the lead or star in any of our routines - but not once did Miss Bev show favortism or make one member feel they were better than any other.

• Love 3

I couldn't find a lot about Jeff Collins as far as his bio and previous work experience but he has produced shows for many of the different networks so I'm sure he has connections all around the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_Avenue_Productions

What I want to see is a book by Kelly & Christy. Abby has written a book - which I don't care to read at this point - but I'd like to know the behind the scenes talk from the mom's point of view - to understand how much was edited, made up or driven by Collins. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a book released by now. Abby, I'm sure had a clause in her contract about criticizing the  production company and yet her book and interviews show plenty of that.

Just found this on youtube - Jojo's new song - worst than Mac's and I like Jojo. I can't understand why the push for all of them to do videos. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jojo+i+can+make+you+dance&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=E0EE8F09A7AEFB1AC452E0EE8F09A7AEFB1AC452

I think that adults have more invested in this than kids do as far as following the show. If Dance Moms was really all that hot - there'd be lunch boxes, puzzles, t-shirts ect being sold in every store- except for a very small portion of the population (us) Dance Moms has very little importance even in the reality TV community - everyone knows who Kim Khardashian is as you hear or see something about that family everyday but even if someone knows who Abby Lee Miller or Maddie is - I bet by next years they won't remember who they are.

• Love 2

Sia had connections. I think people forget Sia is also a song writer for Beyonce Rihanna and a bunch of other artist. It's because of the show Maddie and everyone else is getting attention. Maddie is the lead dancer next to Chloe. Abby throws Maddie at our faces every chance she gets. Abby and Melissa claims Maddie is the best dancer at the studio. Maddie even sacrifice school to dance. Abby has no connections like Sia. How did Maddie get signed go a top agency? Sia. Why is Maddie going to fashion week, getting interviews, going to the Grammys, Emmy's, and other shows all because of Sia. If it weren't for Sia Maddie wouldn't have these opportunities. If it weren't for the show nobody would know about Maddie.

• Love 2

I think that adults have more invested in this than kids do as far as following the show. If Dance Moms was really all that hot - there'd be lunch boxes, puzzles, t-shirts ect being sold in every store- except for a very small portion of the population

Supposedly, I have yet to see it, Capezio and Abby have some sort of agreement for dance attire.  The only "Dance Mom" cast member right now that has anything related to major dancewear companies is Sophia Lucia whose name is on the new Capezio Pirouette shoe, and the only reason that Capezio had to replace the H06 (which they started) is that everyone started buying the BodyWrappers Twyla II version of the shoe because it held up better.

What gets me about the whole thing is that Abby is really trying to ride Maddie's coat tails, but then acts like she's the reason for everything. Her comments on the latest episode about Holly knowing all the producers and everything was hilarious, because that's how Abby acts.

• Love 3

Looks like Nia is out - just a few weeks later than I thought. I think it's in her best interest, Abby has been nothing but destructive towards her for most of this season.

Absolom will have to tell us if this was part of the plan all along with Holly and Nia being the put upon pair for the season - it seems plausible that this was the plan - along with the much higher production values on Nia's video to send her off in a "good" way.

OK, I am confused about this because Nia tweeted like 4-5 days ago that they are NOT leaving DM?