Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E15: Tequila Shots?

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Two eliminations precede a challenge in which the remaining contestants must create a unique dining experience for a large group of well-known chefs, including guest judges Bruce Kalman, Steve Samson, Mette Williams and Alessio Biagini. Then, the winner is taken on a helicopter tour of Los Angeles and treated to lunch with Gordon Ramsay.

Finally, dinner service offers the remaining contestants the opportunity to run the pass and try to avoid being sabotaged by Andi and Aaron.

Just like I thought.  I knew that if Heather performed brilliantly enough, she could upset the apple cart a bit, especially given all of those who thought that Ryan and Heidi would be the F2.  But once she made it, I pretty much knew that Heidi would be toast.  No way was Ramsay sending Ryan packing.

Interesting that they really haven't done a tableside challenge.  I guess even sixteen seasons in, HK can do something new.  It was clear that Heather lost it on her double-dipping mistake, and that Ryan was being set up for the win with the mostly positive editing she was getting during that segment.

Service was probably the most interesting part.  It was interesting seeing the women run the pass.  Going on, I still had the sneaking suspicion that Heidi and Ryan were going to the F2.  But as service went on and Heidi made two quality control errors and made one stumble after another in the kitchen, I started to shift that thought.  Especially after seeing Heather only make one quality control mistake and not really mess up that severely in the kitchen.  Ryan made as many quality control mistakes as Heidi, but she was undoubtedly saved by not messing up all that much in the kitchen, if she even did.

Come elimination, it was obvious that Ryan was getting through, as @mertensia said.  But based on tonight's performance, I was going to be disappointed if Heather didn't make it through, and I was really happy when she did.  I know she's disliked by everyone else on this board (who frequents this part of it), but I do think she earned her place in the finale.  As I said last week, she started turning it on at just the right time, doing well in all of the right challenges, kicking ass in services, and showing excellent leadership.  I'm not a fan of the excessive cursing, but Ramsay is clearly not holding that against her chances of winning, so neither am I.  However, going by their experience, I do think that Ryan might as well be handed the check and the restaurant now.  She is far more experienced, has done consistently better in the kitchen and in challenges, and has Ramsay's respect a touch more than Heather does.  Her leadership, while solid, isn't quite as strong, though, so she'd better shape up in it going into the finale.  She needs to get loud when she communicates.

As for Heidi, I did feel sorry for her.  She looked so crushed when Ryan's name was called over hers.  In terms of the overall experience levels of the three ladies, a F2 of herself and Ryan would've been closer and tougher to call.  But since Ramsay typically goes by their performance in the competition rather than their real-life experience, she was sunk.  Heather and Ryan both fairly outperformed her tonight and deserved to make it to the F2.  But she's done a great job, I think, to get this far.

So now that the finale is upon us, that means that the brigades are also returning.  And assuming that the show is sticking with the eight most recent eliminated chefs, that means that Shaina, Matt, Wendy, Devin, Andrew, Kimberly, Paulie, and Heidi will all be returning next week to help Heather and Ryan.  I think the team who ends up with Paulie on it (looks like it's Ryan who ends up with him from the previews) will be the one who has the real struggle, though Matt might cause some struggles, as well.  It'll be interesting to see the true extent of each woman's leadership.

Good episode, and a good F2.  Bring on the finale!

• Love 4

If I were in the Final 2 and were stuck with Paulie, I'd tell him to go sit in a corner and be quiet, and would then make do with one less cook.  And the other cooks would be so appreciative that they'd bust their butts to pick up the slack.  I doubt I'd even give him a chance, because he's proven to be more trouble than he's worth, and has no clue as to how useless he really is.

And I almost think Ramsey would respect that type of decision.

• Love 11

I have to agree with Michel's assessment of the last episode but I still can't stand foul-mouthed Heather even though she did outperform Heidi.  I'm not crazy about Ryan but I hope she earns the win.  The only contestant I found at all likable this season was long gone Aaron so I guess I don't really care who wins.

• Love 10

I know this is petty, but Heather's double-dipping tableside was gross.  We've seen chefs do it a hundred times in a kitchen venue and don't like it there - but doing it right in front of the people you're serving (including established chefs) and on camera?  Ugh.  Once again you have to wonder what's in your food when you're dining out.

• Love 6

I really don't like Ryan so go Heather I guess?

It bugged me when she hugged GR after getting through.  And I loved the editors putting in her "*I* would have caught that" followed by her not catching that.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, xcrayon2215x said:

Paulie and Matt will ruin the service most likely next week which will suck for the finalists.

Actually, on YouTube, someone left a comment saying that we missed something in the preview.  Apparently, Matt is not returning next week.  I guess everything that went down with Ramsay the week he was eliminated was too much for him, so either he chose not to return, or the producers chose not to let him come back.  It looks like Koop is coming back instead, as the most recent person eliminated outside of the brigade returnees.  I then watched the previews back myself and saw him among the brigade returnees.  So thank goodness for one less useless person coming back, I guess.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 5

I'm a little bummed, I was really hoping Heidi would make it through.

I think a Ryan/Heidi final two would have been more of a fight.  But, I think they may as well hand Ryan and her wonky eyebrows the check.

Will say that I like how Heather gave positive reinforcement on the line.

I'll check back here next week to see who wins!

• Love 5

It also amused me when Chef Andi told Ryan to "use her voice" because I was like no, please don't.

It's weird to me that when Andi is not in the kitchen she looks like a glamorous model but invariably the cheftestants still look shiny and rumpled when they are out in the real world. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

It also amused me when Chef Andi told Ryan to "use her voice" because I was like no, please don't.

It's weird to me that when Andi is not in the kitchen she looks like a glamorous model but invariably the cheftestants still look shiny and rumpled when they are out in the real world. 

This is funny, because if you could dub in, say, Cate Blanchett's voice, Ryan would be very attractive (eyebrows notwithstanding).

• Love 1

We thought it would be a Ryan/Heidi finale for weeks so when that didn't happen it was a complete surprise.   Usually the people with the best edits get through and Heather's foul mouth and behavior with Andrew didn't put her in the best light.  Plus we didn't quite see Heidi as struggling all that much in the big picture all season to warrant her being denied the finale.  Oh well.

• Love 8
On 1/28/2017 at 1:56 AM, Michel said:

Actually, on YouTube, someone left a comment saying that we missed something in the preview.  Apparently, Matt is not returning next week.  I guess everything that went down with Ramsay the week he was eliminated was too much for him, so either he chose not to return, or the producers chose not to let him come back.  It looks like Koop is coming back instead, as the most recent person eliminated outside of the brigade returnees.  I then watched the previews back myself and saw him among the brigade returnees.  So thank goodness for one less useless person coming back, I guess.

I'm going to have to look up Matt because I've forgotten who he is. 

• Love 2

Matt was the dweeb who thought he was hot stuff w/the ladies at the Playboy Mansion. Made the non-burger in the burger challenge, and disparaged the judges as 'burger chefs.' Childish, whining, disrespectful, etc. I wish I had the ability to forget him.

Sad Heidi didn't go on. I hope her performance on the show gives her some good options back in Maine.

• Love 6