Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Getting Nekkid

Thanks mods!  (I think I even wrote 2016.  Guess I'll be doing that for a couple more weeks until I get used to 2017.)

Anyhow............

I have to get used to the NYC location, not sure how I feel about it.  I liked the more laid back atmosphere in Atlanta better.  

Does Kara even have a life?  What about her kids?  Is she secretly in love with Mary Jane?  I'm not joking, she's just too involved in MJ's life and she's so hyper, she's annoying.  

I hope the Nigerian dude isn't a stalker.

• Love 1

Interested to see  the relationship with the veteran anchor once Michael Ealy gets into the mix.

New York looks like it will be a nice new stomping ground.  Looking forward to the season.

Edited by ChelleGame
  • Love 2

It would be great if MJ's freak outs were toned down or more of a device played for laughs a la Ally McBeal. There's something about an adult woman having these breakdowns and freak outs that's just not appealing to me.

Women juggle a lot of different balls; and while many of us are overworked and underappreciated, no one I know behaves like MJ. I don't mind seeing my id on TV in its messy glory as a means of reminding me that "I've got this" but I don't get that ultimately MJ's "got this". She's just a damn mess. Ugh I hope I'm articulating this well enough...

Side note: you do not play that "no talk" game with strangers--that's how you end up bound and gagged in your own home.

• Love 6
On 1/11/2017 at 9:47 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

While Brock Akil is no longer in the picture, it seems MJ is back to her same old messy antics. In the first episode of season 4, "Getting Nekkid," MJ strips down in more ways than one. 

I still saw Mara and Salim listed as executive producers. So maybe they are still involved????

On 1/16/2017 at 5:25 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

It would be great if MJ's freak outs were toned down or more of a device played for laughs a la Ally McBeal. There's something about an adult woman having these breakdowns and freak outs that's just not appealing to me.

Women juggle a lot of different balls; and while many of us are overworked and underappreciated, no one I know behaves like MJ. I don't mind seeing my id on TV in its messy glory as a means of reminding me that "I've got this" but I don't get that ultimately MJ's "got this". She's just a damn mess. Ugh I hope I'm articulating this well enough...

Side note: you do not play that "no talk" game with strangers--that's how you end up bound and gagged in your own home.

Yes, MJ has issues and is a big mess, but those are the things I like about her (and the things that make me want to shake the sh*t out of her). I like that Mary Jane is a complex woman who's successful in some areas in her life but faces the same (if not) insecurities and makes the same mistakes that other people are allowed to make on screen. She doesn't have to be the Strong Black Woman or the Crack Ho Stripper. She's somewhere in between, and I love that. 

What I don't understand is why the matchmaker said she couldn't work with her. Unless MJ is a raging sociopath or is depressed to the point of being suicidal, I can't imagine what her issues could be that would make her impossible to try to fix up with another person. Isn't everyone a little self-deluded and lacking self-awareness? What makes MJ so much worse than the average person who needs help finding a mate?

Valerie Pettiford! So glad to see her on my screen again. So glad she's not playing the "I don't want another black woman here" game. But her character is hard to figure out--she's definitely got secrets. 

• Love 2

She doesn't have to be the Strong Black Woman or the Crack Ho Stripper. 

I don't want to see these tropes either, BUT I don't want to see the crazy woman that tells the wife of the man she was having an affair with how to give a better blowjob. I don't want to see her invading a family's dinner hour to grill a couple about why someone broke up with her.

What I don't understand is why the matchmaker said she couldn't work with her.

See above. 

I suggested her freak outs become a plot device like on Ally McBeal because who does the shit she does? 

• Love 1

Niecy is so dumb. I don't know if she didn't get enough hugs and affirmations growing up or what, but she's so frustrating. Blowing half of her settlement on a car for baby daddy #2? Girl! Clearly, like her aunt, she's made no progress. You'd think this cash would be a fresh start for her. Go to school, learn a trade, something. Put some away for herself and her children. But nah. I guess ol' boy must've dickmatized her.

It's only the second episode, so I'm going to be patient, but I'm tired of Mary Jane's constant self-sabotage. Every time something good happens to her, she just can't help but set it on fire. For now, British dude seems okay. I get not being crazy about a baby mama and two children; especially as a single, childless woman, but dis-inviting him because Rhonda got in her head? Come onnnn.

Also, I'm going to need to MJ to be smarter. She should've stayed in her lane instead of trying to take down Rhonda so soon. I'm sure Rhonda was on her Godfather "keep your enemies closer" shit with MJ and she isn't as magnanimous as she seems, but MJ just got there. Bide your time until the right moment.

• Love 2

How much did Niecy get?  I missed looking at the check.  I think her dad knows she messed up already with the money.  He's already seen her come in with a mess of shopping bags, and he knows she bought dude a car.  

I like British dude, but although MJ is, indeed, a basket case, I'd be hesitant myself if I were dating a guy with two kids and a hot baby mama.  I still think MJ should give the relationship a chance though because he does seem like a nice guy.  I wonder how often he travels home to see his kids. 

Rhonda is a pro.  I'm pretty sure she's known for quite some time that her husband was a player.  I loved those fake tears she shed in front of MJ--who is an amateur.

• Love 4

Asian people are always such assholes on this show : /  As an Asian person I can't help but notice.

You never, ever reveal your weaknesses to people you don't know or trust yet (MJ's weakness being the Michael Ealy character).  Is it believable that MJ would be that eager to be mentored?  That's kind of sad.  I guess I'm too jaded at this point.  

Niecy got $150,000 and was like, where is the rest of it.  LOL.  Where is the rest of it?  You just blew 1/3 of it on a car.... oh Lord.

At first I thought the comic was kind of goofy looking and now I'm like, he's too sexy to be a comic.  So obviously he's confusing me.

The charity plotline confused me.
Rhonda works with that young hot guy, who runs her charity for her.
And Rhonda's husband stole a bunch of money from her charity, to buy a house for his sidepiece, and put the house under the young hot guy's name?
(If I understand this correctly) that is so incredibly convoluted.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 1/19/2017 at 11:20 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The charity plotline confused me.
Rhonda works with that young hot guy, who runs her charity for her.
And Rhonda's husband stole a bunch of money from her charity, to buy a house for his sidepiece, and put the house under the young hot guy's name?
(If I understand this correctly) that is so incredibly convoluted.

Confused me too.  But that's basically how I understood it.  What I wasn't quite sure of is how much Rhonda already knew about what was going on.    Also the "young hot guy" looks familiar to me.  But I can't place what else I've seen him in.

Will be interesting to see where/when the MJ/NY and family storylines will converge.  MJ will definitely give Niecy the smackdown when she finds out she's wasted her settlement money.  

Interesting that MJ had an issue with the British dude for having kids.  She wanted to make it work with her ex, even after he had a baby with someone else.  

• Love 1

Neicy got $150,000. I don't think her dad knows that she bought the car - he only commented on her seeing Dante, and told her not to give him any money. He would have blown a gasket if he'd known she spent 1/3 of the money on a car for her sometime-y boyfriend.
When they were at the dealership, all I could say was, "Oh, Neicy," and shake my head. Even the salesman tried to get her to consider buying something else. I'm hoping for a scene where Patrick and Neicy go to Dante's house to get the keys back.

Things with Ronda took a turn quickly. I thought Kara was being overeager, but in essence she was right.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Neicy got $150,000. I don't think her dad knows that she bought the car - he only commented on her seeing Dante, and told her not to give him any money.

When Niecy's dad saw his grandson's toy car, I think he knew what was up. The granddad might not know for sure but he strongly suspects.

Edit:  I think he asked where his grandson got the toy car from but I didn't understand what the boy said. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

This show is quickly annoying me. And not just because that weird old lady pink lip gloss they're making MJ wear in every scene makes her look like an 88 year old body on display at a wake.

I guess it would be too much to hope for MJ to show some maturity and self-reflection in her relationship dealings. At 40 if you can't tell a man he's great but you're not interested in a serious relationship with a man with kids, you are too immature to date. Maybe she'll stumble upon a man who digs that in a woman.

Speaking of immaturity, Niecy is just ridiculous. I actually get not thinking ma y men will be checking for her with two kids and two baby daddies. I even get helping your man buy a car so he can be a better partner with better prospects and the ability to help out more. What I can't deal with is her lack of appreciation for all her family is doing for her.

It is just plain selfish to spend so much money on you and your BF while you are un- or under-employed, you and your two kids live under a roof your grandparents provide for you, and drive a car your uncle bought for you. If they're trying to make me hate Niecy, it's starting to work.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

And not just because that weird old lady pink lip gloss they're making MJ wear in every scene makes her look like an 88 year old body on display at a wake.

This made me crack up, but it's so true.  I don't know who in their right mind would think that that lip gloss looks good.  Old dead lady, indeed. 

On 1/20/2017 at 1:00 PM, After7Only said:

Confused me too.  But that's basically how I understood it.  What I wasn't quite sure of is how much Rhonda already knew about what was going on.    Also the "young hot guy" looks familiar to me.  But I can't place what else I've seen him in.

Will be interesting to see where/when the MJ/NY and family storylines will converge.  MJ will definitely give Niecy the smackdown when she finds out she's wasted her settlement money.  

Interesting that MJ had an issue with the British dude for having kids.  She wanted to make it work with her ex, even after he had a baby with someone else.  

Thanks for your response!

Young hot guy is.... Travis Winfrey

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2228560/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

I continue to be so attracted to Kara.  That woman always looks so damn good!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Mary Jane is stupid, with a capital S.  She wants love, but only if it comes wrapped up a certain way.  Life isn't like that.  The British guy liked her, his ex wasn't even that cute.  If you meet a man who is a certain age, he probably will have a kid or two.  MJ needs to get her head out of fantasyland and into reality.

ETA:  I believe that when Rhonda called MJ in her office and told her what the producer was trying to do with the two of them, she was sincere.  She told MJ that the producers and the network feel that there can be only ONE black woman there.  She was trying to tell MJ not to get sucked into the producer's games.  MJ however allowed Kara to manipulate her.  Kara wants MJ to get to the anchor spot by any means necessary; she wanted MJ to take Rhonda down.  MJ should have resisted, she should have told Kara that something like that happened to her in Atlanta with the younger Latina.  

Rhonda knew that MJ looked into her charity because she was trying to find something on her, which is why she brought that producer who screwed MJ over.  Rhonda's attitude was, "I told you what the producers wanted; you didn't listen, so now see what a REAL player can do."  I hope the show doesn't make us, the audience see Rhonda as an evil bitch, because she's not.  She's a woman trying to hold on to her job.  What MJ should have done was to befriend Rhonda and then get a job at another network to compete with Rhonda and THEN knock her off her throne.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

MJ- get into therapy immediately. Most (if not all) of your wounds are self-inflicted.

Niecy- she is just a continuation of the selfish, irresponsible teenager we've seen since the beginning. Even the car salesman could see what was happening and tried to steer her back into her lane, budget and style-wise. But common sense couldn't beat out a little lovin' from the Baby Daddy, and now she's blown a third of her money on a sportscar for Dante. I just wonder why Dad or Grandad didn't go with Niecy to handle the money- get the trust and everything set up right then and there. I know she's of legal age, but she seems to need them for so much, I'm surprised they weren't right by her side for this. Instead, she shows up at the lawyer's office with the guy who's already been scheming on how to spend that money. That girl is her own worst enemy.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TVForever said:

Instead, she shows up at the lawyer's office with the guy who's already been scheming on how to spend that money. That girl is her own worst enemy.

Yeah, even the lawyer gave Dante the side-eye.  The lawyer's probably seen this show many times before and shakes his head when stupid clients walk out the door with their leeches beside them.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TVForever said:

MJ- get into therapy immediately. Most (if not all) of your wounds are self-inflicted.

Niecy- she is just a continuation of the selfish, irresponsible teenager we've seen since the beginning. Even the car salesman could see what was happening and tried to steer her back into her lane, budget and style-wise. But common sense couldn't beat out a little lovin' from the Baby Daddy, and now she's blown a third of her money on a sportscar for Dante. I just wonder why Dad or Grandad didn't go with Niecy to handle the money- get the trust and everything set up right then and there. I know she's of legal age, but she seems to need them for so much, I'm surprised they weren't right by her side for this. Instead, she shows up at the lawyer's office with the guy who's already been scheming on how to spend that money. That girl is her own worst enemy.

Right? Niecy has become another character I want to shake the s*ht out of. She doesn't listen to anyone: Her grandparents, her father. Does she have any friends? 

It seems like MJ and Niecy have some of the same self-sabotaging tendencies when it comes to men. I think they'd both benefit from therapy.  

• Love 2

I having watched the latest episode yet. I just finished "Getting Naked." How can Mary Jane be so friggin naive? You don't bad-mouth a journalist to another journalist even if it seems like the two of you are becoming friends and she shared a name with you. Number one, MJ, you're new to the New York scene. You don't know if this woman really is your friend (and it turns out she isn't). Number two, you especially don't bad-mouth a black journalist to another black journalist. The world of black broadcast journalists is incredibly small, and MJ knows this. So why would she be so stupid? 

I'd suspected that the anchor was in on the charity's misdeeds. Kara was totally right. You don't build a school in a war-torn area of Kenya unless you're in with the warlords. 

And Niecy...SMH. I know she's a woman, but grow a pair. And get a brain.