Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Girl Meets Sweet Sixteen

Dont se why Disney couldnt have just aired this episode and Girl Meets Goodbye together and make it a 1 hour series finale,since the former episode's ending looks like its going to lead right into it(going by the preview where Topanga says that she's been appointed to the London office)

• Love 2

Riley turned 13 in 7th grade, so they had to have skipped over to 10th grade now.  Between seasons 2 and 3, David Jacobs said he wanted to compress the 4 high school years so that the kids could graduate by the end of the show.  BMW had grades 9/10 one year and 11/12 the next; it looks like they were in the process of doing the same here - unfortunately they didn't make it.

It's also obvious that the producers thought there were a good chance of cancellation when putting together these last two shows, with the high schoolers looking ahead to the future in this episode, and then bringing back so many of the BMW actors for the last episode.

POST-SHOW EDIT: Well,  I was completely wrong about all this, sorry!

Edited by bagert
Added the "POST-SHOW EDIT" line :)
3 hours ago, bagert said:

Riley turned 13 in 7th grade, so they had to have skipped over to 10th grade now.  Between seasons 2 and 3, David Jacobs said he wanted to compress the 4 high school years so that the kids could graduate by the end of the show.  BMW had grades 9/10 one year and 11/12 the next; it looks like they were in the process of doing the same here - unfortunately they didn't make it.

It's also obvious that the producers thought there were a good chance of cancellation when putting together these last two shows, with the high schoolers looking ahead to the future in this episode, and then bringing back so many of the BMW actors for the last episode.

In BMW they didn't combine the years, they just skipped two years completely. At the beginning of one season they were in 8th grade and at the end they were in 10th grade. It was weird because they had them start at the high school in seventh grade.

It could have worked better with GMW because the show isn't on the same September - May schedule that BMW was.

41 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

This was better than more recent episodes. I was glad they didn't do a time jump. 

Those last few minutes were rough. I was a goner when I saw Auggie's face. Knowing where we were in the series, he just broke my heart. 

All of the kids were selling it. I wonder if they had some inclination, because those tears felt REAL. I was a blubbering idiot during that last scene.

• Love 6

I've seen another far superior but less-watched tween show do this moving away storyline in a far superior way.  Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street.  Girls Meets World isn't worthy of that show.

• Love 1

I still get the feeling the final episode will end on some kind of cliffhanger..i.e they drag out Topanga making her decision until the very end,either Lucas or Maya telling Riley"no matter what happens,i'll be here for you.." or something,then when its the very last shot where Topanga says "Iv'e decided..my answer is.."

*cue production company logos and perhaps maybe a final caption that says "Thank you all from the cast & crew of GMW" *

Mr Jacobs better pray that Netflix throws him a Hail Mary if this is the case lol

Edited by TDT
  • Love 1

I still get the feeling the final episode will end on some kind of cliffhanger

On a children's show?  I don't know.  It's one thing to do it on an adult show.  But that just seems so ... grim ... as a possibility of a children's show.  To leave them on the ambiguity?  That's just mean.

Auggie ripped my heart out.  That kid must have thought about something gut wrenching because that was rough.  The girls were also pretty on point.

Agreed.  I had to rewind as soon as I saw Auggie because I thought I had blinked and missed the end of the world from occurring.

My favorite part was Lucas asking Riley if they'd still be together int he future. I literally laughed and said to the TV, are you now? They have less of a relationship than Auggie and Ava. I also like the beginning when Maya told Riley was 15 and Riley was 8. Yep, can't imagine why the show got cancelled. 

• Love 7

1. Cory upon looking at how much money Topenga was going to make did an "ode to Britain", then turned around and said with straight face "It is not about the money".  Good thing Riley was 8 so she bought that line :P

2. Farkle had the best chemistry with any character in the show

3. Lucas had better chemistry with Smackle in that 1 scene than with Riley in most episodes :P

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

3. Lucas had better chemistry with Smackle in that 1 scene than with Riley in most episodes :P

..and should the show get picked up by Netflix or wherever Smackle may try and act on her feelings..fanfic/slashfic writers already having a field day as it is lol

Was I the only one who hated this episode with a passion?  Not only was the usual terrible writing/lack of substance in place, it seemed disjointed and whole sections didn't make sense. Ugh.  

The only scene I liked was Farkle and Smackle in the classroom.  

• Love 1

I hated it too Cowgirl. WTF was it even about? What I got was, we're going to grow up and leave each other in about 3 years so let's start panicking about it now while also trying to accelerate the process? Riley doesn't love Lucas as much as she loves Maya. Maya doesn't seem too keep on sticking around just for Riley and would maybe like to actually pursue dreams of her own. And it was all a set up for Topanga's announcement which might have come as a surprise had they not shown in a million times in the previews.

Normally I at least find the kids somewhat charming but UGH. And Auggie didn't move me at all. I think because the whole stupid "let's keep it secret until the big reveal that everyone already knows" made him keep saying "tell her no daddy" without actually saying why he should, or having Topanga actually mention it.

It was all very shoddily done, the whole ep was crap.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

On IMDb someone suggested that these two should be spun off into a show of their own..make it Disney's equivalent of The Big Bang Theory lol

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TDT said:
6 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

On IMDb someone suggested that these two should be spun off into a show of their own..make it Disney's equivalent of The Big Bang Theory lol

Love that idea! I would watch that. 

• Love 3
On January 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Cowgirl said:

Love that idea! I would watch that. 

Agreed.  Farkle ended up being the best character once they figured out what to do with him.  He's the only one who experienced any kind of natural growth or transition into his teenage years over the course of the series. 

• Love 6

I love Farkle and would watch a spinoff about him and his friends (mainly, in order, Zay, Smackle and Lucas (since I feel liked he'd have to be there if Zay was). One of the very few things this show got right was allowing Farkle to grow out of the awkward, turtleneck wearing typical nerd character and into someone who is super smart, a bit quirky but actually pretty normal. He is a great character who had a great story arc, unlike pretty much any other character on the show. It kind of surprises me that the same people who wrote Farkle's evolution are responsible for Riley's deterioration, or that the people who wrote a very quirky but sweet relationship between Farkle and Smackle are responsible for Riley and Maya's dangerously co-dependant relationship or Riley and Lucas' non-existent relationship. As others have said, Auggie and Ava's relationship is more developed than Riley and Lucas. Hell, even Shawn and Katie's 10 second courtship was more developed than Riley and Lucas' relationship.

It is just so weird to me how they seem so reluctant to actually show Riley and Lucas as a couple. They only ever mention it as if we are supposed to assume they are together but we never really see them together in a couple type relationship. I can't figure out why the show is afraid of them.

• Love 6

I'd agree that Farkle is the best/most developed kid on the show. I liked his friendship with Riley and Maya as a trio (when he was allowed to get beyond the overtly weird phase), I liked his friendship with Lucas and Zay. I liked his relationship with Smackle, even with Smackle hitting on Lucas because she thought it would make her seem more like a normal girl (that was the reasoning given in this episode, right?). Farkle settled down into the pretty awesome teen, and he's probably the one I'll miss the most from this show.

I really wish more time/focus had been given to friendships that weren't Riley/Maya. I didn't necessarily hate them, but I wanted to see the others develop, and we barely got to. I was enjoying Lucas/Farkle before Zay showed up -- Zay, who I honestly didn't like at first (possibly because I felt he was taking time away from Lucas/Farkle) but who really grew on me. I'd have taken more of any combination of Farkle/Lucas/Zay, more of Zay/Smackle, Zay/Maya (despite that moment in one episode where they basically said "we'll pseudo-date since our friends are dating" that went nowhere because the show never bothered to show their friends actually dating). I hate that the stupid triangle ATE the development of any of the friendships, even Lucas/Maya as friends. I enjoyed them before that dumb plot took over.

Edited by RandomMe
missing sentence fragment
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I love Farkle and would watch a spinoff about him and his friends (mainly, in order, Zay, Smackle and Lucas (since I feel liked he'd have to be there if Zay was). One of the very few things this show got right was allowing Farkle to grow out of the awkward, turtleneck wearing typical nerd character and into someone who is super smart, a bit quirky but actually pretty normal. He is a great character who had a great story arc, unlike pretty much any other character on the show.

Yes 100%.  Call it Friends Meet World and move the show to ABC Family or sell it to Netflix

• Love 4