Type keyword(s) to search

DuckTales - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, starri said:

There was such a sweetness to BOYD that I wasn't expecting.  He reminded me of Data.

Me too. When Commander Riker first met Data on the holodeck in the pilot episode of ST:TNG, he told him "Nice to meet you, Pinocchio." He too wanted to be human. 

9 hours ago, Popples said:

So Webby's fists are named Lady Haymaker and the Duchess of Whaling.

I was really excited that Jormungandr was Tormund Giantsbane!

I love season 3 so far, it's incredible how amazing this show is. Now, we have to wait until Disney decides to release the next batch of episodes.

Ugh that suuuuuucks. Especially now.

Still this was a good episode. Love that Launchpad knew everything about pro wrestling. 

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Still this was a good episode. Love that Launchpad knew everything about pro wrestling. 

And Huey knew nothing about it. I guess the old Junior Woodchuck's Guidebook didn't have a chapter on that. Huey had done a pretty good job covering golf on that course with the murder ponies. 

32 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was surprised that Launchpad landed the plane perfectly without crashing.

I was a little surprised too. Maybe Della gave him a few pointers.

I don't like waiting for another few months. Being a big fan of the original series, I'm loving this show.  

• Love 2

We have a schedule!!

9/21: The Phantom of the Sorceress!

9/28: They Put a Moonlander on the Earth!

10/5: The Trickening! (Halloween Episode)

10/12: The Forbidden Fountain of the Foreverglades!

10/19: Let's Get Dangerous! (Hour long episode)

10/26: Escape from the Impossibin!

• Love 6

In a cross promotion of other items under the Disney umbrella, Lena, who was once just a darkside manifestation of Magica, now looks like a Jedi. I'm sure her sister Violet Sabrewing could help craft her a lightsaber if they wanted to go that far.  

I think they could have just removed Gladstone entirely. The only part that was good was when he was turned into Donald. 

The voice actress for Mrs. Beakley was on last week's episode of Star Trek: Lower Decks. 

I suppose Gladstone was unnecessary to the over-all plot even if he was the breadcrumb that led to them discovering the Phantom Blot. I have to admit, though, it was kind of fun to have him a) detail all the ways the world caters to him and b) get the stuffing beat out of him throughout.

But it was a lot of fun to have the girls take things on on their own. Hell, I loved that the show started in medias res with everyone tumbling out of the video game. (And of course it was Dewey who made the wish.) Actually, there were a lot of details I liked. The nephews reacting to Scrooge saying nothing good comes from magic with Huey and Dewey both trying to give him the 'no no wrong thing to say' gestures while Louie just facepalms.

Magicka's hovel of misery loaded with Papa Swan's pizza boxes and talley marks of how long she's been without 'Dark Magycks.'

Violet mentioning that they're statistically due to deal with vampires does make me wonder when we'll see them.

Webby, Lena and Violet make a good team. That was a fun one!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I suppose Gladstone was unnecessary to the over-all plot even if he was the breadcrumb that led to them discovering the Phantom Blot. I have to admit, though, it was kind of fun to have him a) detail all the ways the world caters to him and b) get the stuffing beat out of him throughout.

But it was a lot of fun to have the girls take things on on their own. Hell, I loved that the show started in medias res with everyone tumbling out of the video game. (And of course it was Dewey who made the wish.) Actually, there were a lot of details I liked. The nephews reacting to Scrooge saying nothing good comes from magic with Huey and Dewey both trying to give him the 'no no wrong thing to say' gestures while Louie just facepalms.

Magicka's hovel of misery loaded with Papa Swan's pizza boxes and talley marks of how long she's been without 'Dark Magycks.'

Violet mentioning that they're statistically due to deal with vampires does make me wonder when we'll see them.

Webby, Lena and Violet make a good team. That was a fun one!

I'd trust the Senior Junior Woodchuck for that foreshadowing too. Given how much the writers / producers obviously love the video game, I wouldn't be surprised if the final boss, Dracula Duck, makes an appearance at some point. 

Of course, there's the juxtaposition between no good things coming from magic with Lena becoming the clear exception to that. 

I really enjoyed this episode. I love that you could still see Lunaris' ship in front of the moon orbiting the earth and that Gibbous and Zenith got a dog and covered it in slap bracelets! Also, the Ducks feeding ducks:

Edited by Popples
  • Love 6

Okay, I have to say that both Della and Penumbra complaining about Earth gravity is funny to me.

Gibbous and Zenith dressing like they're fresh out of 1986 was killing me. As was their dog with the bracelets. As was not understanding sarcasm or air quotes bringing the safety inspectors.

Adults referring to any of the young ones by something other than their name is also something that tickles me. I love that Penumbra refers to Webby and all of the nephews as 'small Dellas.' Isn't it Fethry who refers to them as '[insert identifying color here] Donald?'

Meanwhile, Launchpad is so thrown off by the unsuccessful date that he gets super cautious about making sure he gives Penumbra enough space and doesn't want her to feel uncomfortable. Of course that does result in him flinging himself out of the car while he's driving... oh Launchpad.

As for Timmy Jenkins... "Local Kid Almost Rides Ride" was a great crawler at the bottom of the screen. And now Duey has a nemesis his own age!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Adults referring to any of the young ones by something other than their name is also something that tickles me. I love that Penumbra refers to Webby and all of the nephews as 'small Dellas.' Isn't it Fethry who refers to them as '[insert identifying color here] Donald?'

I did love Penumbra calling the kids as "Small Dellas" and Dewey "Blue Della". Fethry called them "Little Donalds" until he learned Huey and Dewey's names, then referred to Louie and Webby as "Green Kid" and "Girl Kid". Gyro calls the boys " Nephew" but he hasn't really interacted with Webby.

• Love 4

I did love Penumbra and Launchpad's awkward date, and her ultimately telling him -- nicely -- that she doesn't want to be with an Earth male. And Launchpad is cool with him. He's still not all those mysterious exes that show up from time to time...

The writers have confirmed that Penumbra's a LGBTQ character, so that's cool.

And yes, the Ducks feeding ducks was priceless.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And yes, the Ducks feeding ducks was priceless.

That was flipping amazing, I could watch Penumbras confused expression as she watches the duck family feed ducks all day on a loop. 

This show is such a delight, I am so glad that I decided to play catch up, my inner 90s child is dancing happily with many a celebratory slap bracelet. 

Glad that we got to see Penumbra and some of the other Lunarians again, I am always happy to see reoccurring characters showing up again.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, elle said:

Does anyone know why this is only being shown on DisneyXD?   Will it come to the regular channel after this season is over?

The Ducktales crew prefer it on DisneyXD because they'll show one episode a week, where Disney Channel was showing one episode a day and burned through the batch of episodes very quickly.

Frank Angones Twitter thread

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, Popples said:

The Ducktales crew prefer it on DisneyXD because they'll show one episode a week, where Disney Channel was showing one episode a day and burned through the batch of episodes very quickly.

Frank Angones Twitter thread

Thank you for the explanation.  This is unfortunate for those of us who don’t have XD.  I understand that they would want to control the rollout of their series but I think they are missing an opportunity to bring in viewers by not having a delayed release on the regular channel, such as a week to two weeks after the first airing on XD.

I miss being able to search for the show on demand to watch for free, it is charged by episode.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2020 at 1:43 PM, elle said:

Thank you for the explanation.  This is unfortunate for those of us who don’t have XD.  I understand that they would want to control the rollout of their series but I think they are missing an opportunity to bring in viewers by not having a delayed release on the regular channel, such as a week to two weeks after the first airing on XD.

I miss being able to search for the show on demand to watch for free, it is charged by episode.

Is it on the Disney Now app for you?   

• Love 1

THE TRICKENING!!

Donald just wants to give candy to the children!! LET DONALD GIVE CANDY TO THE CHILDREN!! Della meanwhile... made me wonder why the hell she wanted kids in the first place. All that being said, her desire to scare kids on Halloween and going all in with Launchpad (who was just trying to protect the city from The Hungries) was kind of hilarious. Also, you had the situation where the kids who came trick or treating at Launchpad's were the most adorable nuggets ever. (And they didn't leave their cupcake friend behind when he fell, protect them at all costs!!)

Scrooge declaring there would be no handouts and then going out trick or treating himself as he does every year to prove he works harder to get stuff than anyone. "Once a year I could eat sweets like a rich man's son!' Who is writing this dialog because it is amazing!!

Meanwhile... the kids. Huey has the plan laid out to get the best candy around the city and even takes in bathroom breaks at recently redone bathrooms because they're nicer. Louie wants the big score so they'll never have to trick or treat again. When Huey explains what it meant to him to go trick or treating on the houseboat and Louie realizes he was trying to take this thing away from Huey... oh... what a sweet brotherly moment.

And then the horror!! The various nods to horror movies was amazing. I'm not even a horror aficionado (Donald would have protected me from being traumatized and I appreciate that) but I recognized so much. I did not, however, need to see the girl crawling out from the well. I DID NOT NEED THAT, DUCKTALES!! And that final nod to The Shining was brilliant. Hazel House was clearly a combination of the Amityville house and the Bates Motel. And also obviously named after Witch Hazel from the Trick or Treat classic cartoon.

Anyone have Disney+? That short is there. Granted, Donald is a COMPLETE ASSHOLE in that short and it's a jarring switch from him in this episode.

Anything Launchpad crashes catches on fire. Including his tricycle or the bush he falls into off the front porch.

And don't think I missed Beakley dressed as Darkwing Duck at the end. Well played.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Meanwhile... the kids. Huey has the plan laid out to get the best candy around the city and even takes in bathroom breaks at recently redone bathrooms because they're nicer. Louie wants the big score so they'll never have to trick or treat again. When Huey explains what it meant to him to go trick or treating on the houseboat and Louie realizes he was trying to take this thing away from Huey... oh... what a sweet brotherly moment.

When Huey was reminiscing about past Trick-or-Treating, I really wanted a flashback of the triplets in the iconic Halloween costumes.

It seemed weird that Launchpad didn't know about Halloween, being with the Junior Woodchuck organization, someone would have brought it up. I did love the shot of his calendar that mentioned a Junior Woodchuck meeting at 3 PM and not AM like last time.

This one did depend on Launchpad not knowing something that was clearly common knowledge but I write it off as him reacting to Halloween a Certain Way when he was young and as he got older, he spent more time preparing to keep the Hungries away and less focused on what was actually going on.

Even when you look at his calendar, there's a Darkwing Duck marathon for a week and then he starts building the bunker after ballet class and the Woodchucks meeting. I can buy Launchpad being myopic about that.

I did also like that he had free burritos at the gas station on his calendar, too.

• Love 5

This was great. All the shade those monsters threw at modern movies and all it took to freak them out was Launchpad in a hockey mask and a chainsaw. And only Launchpad could go so long without knowing what Halloween is.

Loved Della and Donald clashing over parenting styles. More of that please! And when's Daisy coming back?!

• Love 3

I'm surprised the revised Halloween theme song had cut the "D-D-D-Danger lurks behind you. There's a stranger out to find you." lines. That's exactly what was happening in the episode. Maybe it was shortened for time as each episode is only 22 minutes and 30 seconds long. 

10 hours ago, Dandesun said:

It most certainly was a nice brotherly moment.

What I don't really get about that is that most candy will go bad after sometime. Why would you even want candy that's years old by this point? Would it even be safe to eat? I sort of expected them to find the candy and it being all rotten. 

I've gone for candy at 2 am. Some convenience stores would qualify as 24 hour candy shops. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

While not as good as their Season 1 Christmas episode, I still found The Trickening to be a lot of fun and enjoy the fact that DuckTales does holiday episodes (complete with updated theme song).  I loved The Shining references and Donald trying to calm things down is always funny.

Last week's episode was good too and the duck bit was classic.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I've gone for candy at 2 am. Some convenience stores would qualify as 24 hour candy shops. 

Was it by chance being run by a Scottish duck wearing a top hat? 

This show was clearly made for Halloween episodes! Love the Halloween themed opening, and all of the costumes everyone was wearing really fit them, especially Huey and his cute Gizmoduck costume and Webby wearing some super obscure monster costume from folklore that not even the actual monsters recognize. Plus Della and Donald as the respective devil and angel, and of course Donald just wants to have a nice family friendly night of giving out candy, while Della wants to give the neighborhood kids some fun new emotional traumas! Della has come a long way in parenting since she got back from the moon, but she can still sometimes slide a bit into "I'm not a regular mom, I'm a cool mom" territory. We also got a lot of nice interaction between the kids, especially the talk between Huey and Louie, with Louie realizing that, while he thought he was giving them a big win, he was accidently taking something important away from Huey, and this was more than  just his typical Type A tendencies. 

I can actually totally buy that Launchpad has spent most of his life thinking that he unleashed evil demons from reading a candy wrapper, like some kind of G rated version of Evil Dead, its really not that much stranger than what they deal with on any other given day. Although, I do question why his parents apparently never told him what was really going on, or that he apparently never experiences Halloween before that one night. 

All of the shout outs to different scary stories and movies and such were super fun, everything from The Shining to Poltergeist, especially the classic monsters throwing shade at the modern monsters that kids are afraid of. They're scared of random childish things like puppets, clowns, and little girls in well! 

• Love 4
On 10/5/2020 at 7:14 PM, Aliconehead said:

Is it on the Disney Now app for you?   

Thank you for the suggestion.  I don’t have the app.  I thought I could watch it on the Disney+ subscription, but they only have the first two seasons.  Ii really irks me that the on demand feature now has all the episodes as pay per view not just the new ones.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:48 AM, benteen said:

While not as good as their Season 1 Christmas episode, I still found The Trickening to be a lot of fun and enjoy the fact that DuckTales does holiday episodes (complete with updated theme song).  I loved The Shining references and Donald trying to calm things down is always funny.

Last week's episode was good too and the duck bit was classic.

Try DisneyNOW. You need a cable/satélite account for full access, but maybe you can borrow a family members

On 10/8/2020 at 6:55 PM, Aliconehead said:

Try DisneyNOW. You need a cable/satélite account for full access, but maybe you can borrow a family members

Thanks for the suggestion.  None of my family has the app, as far as I know.  Not sure if I want to get it just for this one show.  I will wait until it comes on Disney+.  In the meantime, I will enjoy everyone’s comments and reviews of the episodes.

I really liked that Ponce de León was a lion. For some reason I don't like Rockerduck; even in "The Outlaw Scrooge McDuck!" he was my least favorite part.

Next week, though:

Spoiler

Yay! Zan Owlson becomes the mayor of Duckburg! I was wondering when we would see her again.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, benteen said:

One thing that's been a non-factor this season is FOWL.  After being in the finale, they have turned up in all of two episodes this season.

Comparing this to Season Two with the Moonfolk and Lunaris, we were six episodes in before we got "Whatever happened to Della Duck?" in episode seven.  Della flew back to Earth in Episode 11.

As of now, John D Rockerduck (who was a FOWL member as scene at the end of Season Two) has just been restored to youthful vitality.

Next week looks like the

Spoiler

Darkwing Duck

episode.

Oh Goldie, you softie. I was thinking that she would steal at least a little water and cut and run, but instead she actually stuck around. Of course, what was happening was probably a bit too much evil for her. Ponce de León (who's a lion, of course) really had an especially nasty scheme going, so he got a suitably nasty end. Not many antagonists on this show actually die, that was pretty gruesome for a kids cartoon, even one with lots of adult appeal. 

Considering how old Scrooge is, he is pretty dang spry. He doesent even need a fountain of youth, still adventuring while presumably at least over 100 years old. 

Huey and Dewey spend so much time squabbling about who was hatched first that Louie actually got to solve what was happening. So, who technically is the oldest when your a set of duck triplets? The one who hatched first or the one who was laid first? Even if Huey wasnt the oldest, he would probably be the best one to handle scheduling, he probably has a schedule that schedules when he works on different schedules. 

Next week is going to be amazing. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Considering how old Scrooge is, he is pretty dang spry. He doesent even need a fountain of youth, still adventuring while presumably at least over 100 years old. 

He looks pretty good for someone hatched in 1867. 

• Love 4

Finally caught up.  I think my favorite part of "The Trickening" was the theme song was pulled so heavily from Thurl Ravenscroft and "Grim Grinning Ghosts" from the Haunted Mansion.  Angones et al aren't just fans of Disney Afternoon, they're Disney fans in general.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, starri said:

Finally caught up.  I think my favorite part of "The Trickening" was the theme song was pulled so heavily from Thurl Ravenscroft and "Grim Grinning Ghosts" from the Haunted Mansion.  Angones et al aren't just fans of Disney Afternoon, they're Disney fans in general.

Oh, most certainly and we know the video games are part of that too. The Moon Theme from the DuckTales originally on Nintendo (considered by some to be one of the best video game tracks ever) and its remastered version were part of Della's story on the moon with it being a lullaby as well as an inspirational song and a battle theme. 

As far as video games, I also remember playing the Walt Disney World Explorer PC game growing up that was basically a tour of the various theme parks and showed attractions when you clicked on them. The instrumental from "Grim Grinning Ghosts" was part of its main theme along with It's a Small World, the Tiki TIki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room, One Little Spark from Journey Into Imagination, and Yo Ho Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me).  

That was awesome. I recently got reacquainted with the old Darkwing Duck on Disney+ so watching this felt like an opening to a reboot. But I think Darkwing and Gossalyn are just going to pop in from time to time like GizmoDuck, especially since Launchpad is going to split his time between them and the McDucks.

Finally we get FOWL! It's about time!

Going back to the last episode, are we EVER going to find out how old Scrooge really is and how he and his parents have such longevity?! Or is it just going to be a Mr. Burns-like running gag?

• Love 4

Yeah, "Let's Get Dangerous" was amazing. If Ducktales should wrap up soon, I want this DW show to take its place.

We're really getting to "Everyone is here" territory with this show and I am absolutely here for it. Bonkers was a huge surprise, he wasn't even on the SDCC poster! I actually SCREAMED when Solego showed up. That's one hell of a deep cut and I was hoping if/how he'd be incorporated into the show. And speaking of deep cuts, I was today days old when I learned that the Fluppy Dogs were a thing. That was a one-off one hour pilot from 1986.

21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Going back to the last episode, are we EVER going to find out how old Scrooge really is and how he and his parents have such longevity?! Or is it just going to be a Mr. Burns-like running gag?

Scrooge and Goldie have had various adventures that slowed down their aging, while Scrooge's parents were "gifted" with immortality.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

He was born (hatched) in 1867 making him 153 now. Webby reads it from the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck in the episode where Lena (still Magica's shadow essence) tries to steal Scrooge's Number One Dime.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Great episode a d hopefully this will lead to a new Darkwing Duck series.  Both the Darkwing and DuckTales parts are handled very well.  Liked seeing a smarter Launchpad here.  Although for me, Bradford and his various annoyed reactions to what was happening was the funniest part.  His anger over having FOWL posted on the helicopter was the best one.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I kind of want an episode with Gosalyn, Webby, Violet, and Webby doing something together now.

You said Webby twice, but I know you mean Lena for one of them. I was thinking the exact same thing. It may require a crossover depending on if Darkwing Duck becomes a revival in its own right, but I do hope Gosalyn will join up with Webby, Violet, and Lena at some point for some adventures. They might need to make more MLP: Friendship is Magic bracelets. Seriously though, it would be great to see what a ninja, an archer, a genius, and a sorceress could accomplish together. 

• Love 3