Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Ave Maria

A 13-year-old girl arrives at Angels Memorial following a seizure caused by spina bifida and the doctors are shocked to learn she is Campbell's daughter. Meanwhile, a workaholic deaf patient and her translator are treated after their car rolls into the Los Angeles River.

1 hour ago, Morgana said:

So is the show really getting rid of a black man, a Hispanic man, an Indian woman..... but all the white men get to stay?  Really?

I've been avoiding Twitter for the past month, but has the producer said anything?  To use a word I hate, the optics on this are just terrible, and CBS has problems with diversity as it is.  Also, Malaya is a lesbian, so there's that as well.

And I hate that, because the story with Marlee Matlin and her interpreter was really fantastic.

Edited by starri
  • Love 3

Did they really just write out three more characters? If they did that brings the number of characters they wrote off this season to four! I was seriously annoyed when they wrote out Mike, but if we lose Jesse and Malaya then I'm not sure I'll be sticking around.  The cynic in me thinks if Jesse and Malaya are really gone then the writers did this so they could bring in some straight women as love interests for Angus and Mario. 

Edited by Fireball

At the start of this season, I was thinking I was done with this show, but it's won me back, and now I would be sad to see it get the chop.  As realistic as it may be to have doctors leave on a regular basis, losing so many characters has made it hard to get a feel for what the show is "about," and I think that is part of its problem, that it isn't sure where its heart is.  I'm liking the vibe between Lowe and Hardin (but please, keep it professional only), and I'd like to see things settle a bit and see where they go overall, but I guess low ratings mean constant tinkering.  Whatever happened to letting a series build for a while?  There's great potential here, but I'm afraid we may never get to see it realized.  So many promising, or at least entertaining, series get canceled only to be replaced with absolute dreck!  

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

At the start of this season, I was thinking I was done with this show, but it's won me back, and now I would be sad to see it get the chop.  As realistic as it may be to have doctors leave on a regular basis, losing so many characters has made it hard to get a feel for what the show is "about," and I think that is part of its problem, that it isn't sure where its heart is.  I'm liking the vibe between Lowe and Hardin (but please, keep it professional only), and I'd like to see things settle a bit and see where they go overall, but I guess low ratings mean constant tinkering.  Whatever happened to letting a series build for a while?  There's great potential here, but I'm afraid we may never get to see it realized.  So many promising, or at least entertaining, series get canceled only to be replaced with absolute dreck!  

I don't know if this is consistent with the rest of this season, but last night's ep drew 6.7 million viewers as compared to Designated Survivors' 5.1 million (both had 1.1 in the 18-49 demographic).

I really enjoy this show but Luis Guzman was, I feel, an essential component.  If he's really gone for good, it will definitely screw up the ER team's chemistry.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, clb1016 said:

I don't know if this is consistent with the rest of this season, but last night's ep drew 6.7 million viewers as compared to Designated Survivors' 5.1 million (both had 1.1 in the 18-49 demographic).

I really enjoy this show but Luis Guzman was, I feel, an essential component.  If he's really gone for good, it will definitely screw up the ER team's chemistry.

I was looking at some site that rates shows' probability of being renewed, and Code Black was in the danger category.  The possible saving grace, they said, is that CBS wants/needs a medical drama, so possibly it will squeak through.  I hope its numbers are improving - that would be great news!  

8 hours ago, Morgana said:

So is the show really getting rid of a black man, a Hispanic man, an Indian woman..... but all the white men get to stay?  Really?

Wait, I thought Malaya was just suspended, not fired.  Suspended means she'll be coming back after the suspension period is over, no?

• Love 5

Axiom:  Code Black -- An influx of patients so great, there aren't enough resources to treat them.

Axiom:  Angels Memorial -- A hospital in LA that is in Code Black 300 times per year.

Corollary: Angels Memorial has insufficient resources to treat patients six days a week.

Conclusion:  Angels Memorial Hospital in LA is a really shitty hospital.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, izabella said:

Wait, I thought Malaya was just suspended, not fired.  Suspended means she'll be coming back after the suspension period is over, no?

Yes she was only suspended, but the show could possibly use the suspension as a way to write the character out... Not that I think the show will go that route but it could.

• Love 3

It feels that this show is trying yet again to dump me as a viewer.

I'm not one to do much criticizing of the technical aspects of a medical drama. But seriously? A billowing curtain in a hospital room???? 

Losing Mama and Guthrie, two of my three favorite characters has just about pushed me off the edge. This show must really be spiraling. CBS, I am really beginning to hate you a lot.

• Love 3

This episode bothered me a bit. I generally like this show much  more than The Night Shift and even Chicago Med largely because of the cast. I was ticked that Raza's character and the female resident that he had started a relationship with just disappeared. The comments from those who are involved with show basically stated that they decided not to give any explanation as to where they were or what happened to them on purpose. To me, this is lazy writing and it means they couldn't think of anything original so they just decided to act as though they never existed to begin with, especially as they are never mentioned by any of the other characters.   

As someone who has a rare, neurological condition which causes my intracranial pressure to increase and who also has a shunt that can/does become blocked, I was put off by the way they handled this storyline. I like Guthrie as a character, but the way he pronounced papilledema was way off. Papilledema is a swelling of the optic disc. Sometimes, you can see this swelling by shining a light into the pupil and looking behind it. However, the are occasions when you can't see papilledema that way and other, more specialized testing must be done. In any case, untreated papilledema can lead to vision issues, up to and including blindness. If it is not treated in time, it can, on occasion, lead to permanent blindness. The first symptom of increased intracranial pressure is always a headache, so at least they had the girl's father - the general surgeon - ask her if she had been having headaches.

I have a shunt as well, though a slightly different type from the girl on the show. They still basically function the same, however. I cannot believe that they tapped that girl's shunt in the ER - that is a procedure that is always done by a neurosurgeon and often under fluoroscopic (a type of x-ray) guidance, with the help of a specialized interventional radiologist,  to ensure they hit just the right spot and don't cause additional trauma. All major hospitals in the world have these people available - I would think that a hospital that is in "Code Black" 300 days per year most certainly would have qualified personnel on hand.

If they truly do not bring back Mama and Malaya, I don't think I will continue to watch. I can put aside the medical inaccuracies because I like the cast, but if they keep cutting good cast members, it just won't be worth it anymore.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:55 AM, starri said:

the story with Marlee Matlin and her interpreter was really fantastic.

I agree! I think the interpreter story was my favorite of the season! I really did like this episode. The stories/plots didn't feel quite as ridiculous as the past episodes plots (suicide cult, Vladimir Putin's nephew, etc), and it felt more like an ensemble cast instead of the Ethan Willis (Rob Lowe) show. I think Rob Willis is a great addition to the show, but some of the episodes felt like the show was making him into the main character. I also tend to like the less hectic episodes when they aren't in code black so this episode had that going for it as well.

I didn't mind the story with Campbell's daughter per say, but it felt like the writers were trying to manipulate the viewers into liking Campbell. So for me the daughter's story felt like a plot device and nothing more. Guess I'm heartless. I wonder if we'll ever see or hear about the daughter again? Also was I the only one who felt the show was maybe setting up Campbell and Heather again?

The whole Jesse, Malaya, and Guthrie leaving thing wouldn't have bothered me as much if the show hadn't been cutting characters right and left. I'm sure Jesse, Malaya, and Guthrie leaving was just a cliffhanger for the fall finale. But the show did cut a number of characters from season 1 and in season 2 they cut two more, so it's hard not to wonder if the writers are going to cut some more cast and maybe take the show again in a different direction.

9 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

This episode bothered me a bit. I generally like this show much  more than The Night Shift and even Chicago Med largely because of the cast. I was ticked that Raza's character and the female resident that he had started a relationship with just disappeared. The comments from those who are involved with show basically stated that they decided not to give any explanation as to where they were or what happened to them on purpose. To me, this is lazy writing and it means they couldn't think of anything original so they just decided to act as though they never existed to begin with, especially as they are never mentioned by any of the other characters.   

Last season I was the opposite I liked Chicago Med better the Code Black; this year the shows are about the same for me. One of the reasons I didn't like season 1 of Code Black was I felt Christa and Neal took over the show. I liked both characters in the beginning but by the end I really was tired of them. Also it felt a bit soapy to me with the love triangles and sex in the lockers rooms.  Actually the only reason I gave season 2 a chance was because I read that both Christa and Neal were gone. However, I do think the writers should have given some explanation about Christa and Neal; it would have been very easy to have one of the characters say "How's Neal" and someone else say "Christa says they're loving living in England". Some throw away line is all it would have taken.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Dear show,  A person with a tumor usually has hypercalcemia, not hypocalcemia.  Also, doctors do not draw lab tests.  That is for a phlebotomist to do.  Also, If Mama is gone, I am out of here!

Signed, Sick of bad medicine shows!

Didn't see the show, but depending on the type of cancer, hypocalcemia could actually be more common - that is what you would expect to see in tumour lysis syndrome, anyways.

How were Mama and Malaya written out?