Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Sundowning

starri

TOO. MUCH. NEWBS. 

I had to fast forward through most of the scenes except for the party scene when the Ghost Riders come. I like the newbs in small, small doses. I know the show knew that it was the final season. Unless they're trying to promote a spinoff, then I don't understand why half the episode was Liam, Hayden, Mason, Corey, and new chick Gwen. 

That being said, I really love Corey and how he caused the Ghost Rider to become visible. I don't know if that particular Ghost Rider will always remain visible but if he is, then Corey needs to touch the other Ghost Riders quickly. Although does seeing them actually cause them to go after you? Eh, I'm not heartbroken that Liam/Hayden and the other kiddies saw Ghost Rider and might be targets. 

Melissa and Chris get a plot! Yes! When Chris showed up in Melissa and Scott's house, I thought for two seconds that this was Scallison 2.0 and I got excited. 

I really didn't know that Malia could transform back into wolf form. I guess it's neat. 

Mr. Douglas is...what the hell is he? I don't really care, but if he's going to intrude on the Seniors Gang's time, then I'd like him to be murdered by Chris and Melissa. I don't want him eating up unnecessary screen time. The Newbs already have that covered. 

So, Sheriff is let in on the fact that he might have had a son. Elias was an interesting character, and reminded me a little bit of Stiles at parts. But he's an asshole, so screw that abusive guy. 

Yep, it's totally obvious that Claudia can't be Claudia. They can't just bring people back from the dead like that. She's probably some fake, maybe a shapeshifter of some sort. Right? Altered memories or something? Because if Claudia's alive, then Allison should definitely be alive as her death was caused almost directly from Stiles. 

Again, too much of Liam and Hayden. Screw the newbs. Except for Corey, since he's cute and useful. 

• Love 2

Did everyone other than Malia and Corey forget they are Supernatural? Why didn't Alpha Scott just use his red glow eyes to get Malia to calm down? He did that before. And why was Parrish acting like the Ghost Rider was a regular person that he needed to arrest. He is a Hellbeast! Use your supernatural powers to fight the other Supernatural creature. 

Too much noobs. I didn't like Scott's pack stuck sitting around doing nothing while Liam and his team got the action scenes. Stop trying to make Liam happen. He's not, this the last season focus on the pack we care about. He's not alpha material and that's not how it works. Even if Scott leaves for college he's still the Alpha and Liam's still the Beta. Him and his back up team can try to keep the town save but he'll never be the actual Alpha with the red eyes. 

Are they ever going to explain how Malia remembers how to full shift? I know it seems to run in her family line but all the previous seasons was her trying to become a Coyote again. 

Is no one going to mention Kira? Did the Ghost Riders take her over the summer and no one cares. 

• Love 1

Ok, I was really disappointed when I heard speculation that this season would be "find Stiles" to give Dylan O'Brien a break while he recovers (which is absolutely fair, because Dylan's needs should of course come before the show), because obviously Dylan not being there and Stiles not being there means that Stiles WON'T be a prominent figure in season 6, which is a problem, because Dylan/Stiles is the best. I have to say, though, the way they are doing this is BRILLIANT. Because this isn't "find Stiles." By removing him AND memories of him, it's almost like a photo-negative effect, where the hole he leaves helps us to see him as clearly as ever, just differently. Watching everyone spiral out in their own way because they don't have him in their lives is completely heartbreaking. Nothing makes me appreciate how important he is to Malia like watching her descent into feral behaviour, totally uncomprehending what is happening to her and what was keeping her anchored to humanity up until now. Nothing makes me appreciate that loving, warm, rock-solid Stilinski father and son relationship like the Sheriff unburdening himself of his past trauma to Scott, obviously in incredible pain, without his son there to see him through it. Of course Scott can't "control" his pack anymore, because control was never his style - he's all about caring and support and mutual loyalty... and without Stiles in his life, he has no compass for that kind of selfless leadership. We're only three episodes in, and already this season does not feel at all like an attempt to push ahead and do the show without Stiles. It feels like a love letter to Stiles, and an admission that everything falls apart without him, and that nothing will be right again until he's back.

You guys? I'm am really, really into this.

• Love 18

I'm still liking this season more than I thought I would. 

Sheriff's name is Noah?!?! Still waiting on Stiles' real name... 

I like the younger pack being Scoobies, still. Hayden actually had something to do this week—good job taking care of Gwen. I thought when the Ghost Riders let you see them, it is because you were chosen for taking. I wouldn't guess that someone forcing a Ghost Rider reveal would mean mass harvesting, but that is apparently the conceit the show will go with now. It was brave of Corey to put himself on the line. I suspect that next he will be in danger and Liam will save him, and then the junior Scoobies will all be one big happy pack. I agree that it is weird that Scott is trying to make Liam into an alpha, though. 

Mr. Douglas is the Nazi werewolf from the DD lab?! And a soul/pineal-eating serial killer?! And addicted to helium?! If that's the B plot you want to go with... (Also, can none of these werewolves smell anything "off" about these weres and other supernaturals?)

Malia was my least favorite kind of Malia this ep. It's kind of funny when she says something coyote-ish (deer!), but smashing a nursing home nurse's head in and being ready to claw up a senile old man is really horrible. Natalie was right about that. Scott does need to flash his red eyes/alpha roar at her more often.

No wonder the Sheriff has always been so supportive of Melissa and Scott. Not just disliking the kind of husband and dad Rafe McCall was, but having grown up with a father like that. 

Speaking of Melissa, yay! And Chris! Hot DAMN he is hot. 

Also hot, Parrish facing down a Ghost Rider without blinking. I was half expecting him to "fire up," but really, he's been a badass as a soldier and as a deputy for longer than he's known he's a hellhound, so use what you've got. 

Is no one going to mention Kira? Did the Ghost Riders take her over the summer and no one cares. 

At the end of last season, she went to the skinwalkers and made a deal. She would go with them voluntarily for as long as it took to get trained, if they would help her clean up the mess in BH. So she got to show up just in time with her sword-belt and the skinwalkers had Theo's sister to drag him to hell. After that she had to return to the desert with them.

• Love 2

I'm pleasantly surprised that they revealed the science teacher as a baddie so early on. I was a bit disappointed with how obvious it was, as I had been totally surprised by past reveals (I got into the show earlier this year so I didn't have fan speculation to go off of), so I'm glad that the obviousness may have been purposeful. I hope the Junior Pack is suspicious of him after his freakout in class. I don't know what's up with the electricity and magnets and helium (nice callback to Scott and Stiles' attack of that helium delivery truck) but for how much they're being brought up, I'm guessing that'll be how to take him down. Couldn't watch that pineal gland stuff at the end... yuck!

Claudia gave me some shady vibes, being so dismissive of the kids concerns and that look she gave Lydia when she saw the banshee (?). I'm not sure if she's a projection created by the Ghost Riders to keep Sheriff (Noah?!) off the trail (and he's on it for sure) or if she's a separate entity who's working for them but she's definitely up to something.

I thought the party showdown was cool (and the red and blue strobe lights made it look cool, too). I like how they've taken Corey from mostly useless to an active character. However, he seems to have screwed everyone over by bringing the Ghost Rider into the human dimension. (Speaking of dimensions, I like that Lydia's banshee powers seem to be expanding to seeing physical projections of other banshees.) I thought seeing the Riders had to be purposeful on their part but Scott seems to think everyone at the party is at risk now. It seemed like the Junior Pack was on a good track last episode but they barely kept it together here. I'm guessing they didn't want to bother with the wolf makeup for Liam but it was strange that he went with the very human Lamp Smash Attack (it wasn't effective). I continue to be amused by the father/son vibe Scott and Liam have, haha. I wonder why the Ghost Rider didn't attack Parrish... something to do with his Hellhoundness, I bet, but what exactly? That he can't be killed so don't bother, that he can be used for their purposes so spare him, that they're equals or subservient to him? Hmm.

I feel bad saying it but Hayden... kind of sucks. (The actress is super cute, though.) I always thought it was the overbearingly cute puppiness of Liam/Hayden (paired with all the music blasts when they kiss) but seeing more of her on her own made me realize that it's her. I don't know how they can help that now... maybe pair her with different characters, give her some cool dimension-based powers like Corey has, make her more useful and interesting? I don't remember, is she 100% werewolf now that Scott bit her or does she still have some Dread Doctor add-ons? Also, Mrs. Martin must have done an excellent job convincing students that none of this supernatural stuff is real because Gwen should have been totally on board with Hayden's explanation of the Ghost Riders. Maybe Mrs. Martin has mind-control powers, lol.

Besides the Scott/Stiles friendship, the only ship I've had is Sheriff/Mama McCall (both because I like them together and for the stepbros of it all) but I think I just got on board with Argent/McCall. Like, Sheriff could get with Mrs. Martin but Argent's lost his wife and daughter... he could use some love. I'm into it, I'm sold. :P

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Did everyone other than Malia and Corey forget they are Supernatural? Why didn't Alpha Scott just use his red glow eyes to get Malia to calm down? He did that before. And why was Parrish acting like the Ghost Rider was a regular person that he needed to arrest. He is a Hellbeast! Use your supernatural powers to fight the other Supernatural creature. 

This had me yelling at the TV and it's a shame because I quite enjoyed this episode, even if it was Noob heavy. God, those kids are planks. Sprayberry's performance improves when he's partnered with better actors but surround him with all this wood and he's wood too. It's like watching a forest grow. 

But anyway, why didn't Scott Alpha Malia? No clue. Why didn't Hayden and Liam transform when faced with the Ghostrider? No clue. Why didn't Parrish Hellbeast out? No clue. I'd think this was some sort of meta comment about the absence of Stiles but I still remember the writers forgetting about Kira's electricity. And Scott remains the most non-Alpha in the history of Alphas.

Also - another evil teacher. *groan* That was a bit too Dread Doctors for me as well. What season is this?

Wait, did I say I enjoyed this episode? I did. The adults are consistently amazing and it was suitably spooky. Natalie's "this school is a safe space" mantra cracks me up. Woman is not coping. 

Claudia gave me some shady vibes, being so dismissive of the kids concerns and that look she gave Lydia when she saw the banshee

Well, her entire existence is shady. The Wild Hunt doesn't rewrite time. If it did, then the Sheriff wouldn't know about the supernatural or be so close to Team Supe because Stiles wouldn't have told him. Also, it is possible that Alison would still be alive because it was Void Stiles that sent the Oni after them.

• Love 2

I kind of like this season so far. The way the old pack is trying to piece things together is interesting. But in this episode everything was dragged out too long for my taste. The scene with Grandpa Stilinski went on forever – quite fittingly they seemed to be there from at least afternoon until night time – and for what? We found out the sheriff’s name and that Grandpa remembers more than anyone else, i.e. that the sheriff has a son. None of that warranted spending so much time on it.

I found the party scene a bit of a mess. They are all the same on this show. Hayden and Liam are an even more soporific couple than Scott and Allison always were. Liam in general seems to be a knock-off version of Scott. I really don’t care if he gets there in the end and is able to replace Scott. None of the kiddie pack are particularly interesting. The only one I like is Corey and that’s only because of his ability which looks cool. And did Parrish really try to arrest the ghostrider? How does that even make sense?

My favorite bit was Melissa. I never cared much for Chris but they were good together. And Melissa continues to impress with her medical skills. After working in reception, the emergency room and the operating theater in the past, she can now perform autopsies and find and remove a pea-sized gland in the middle of the brain with her fingers. Kudos! Shame the storyline about evil!teacher is so boring. The only highlight I was hoping for was him trying to teach after he inhaled the helium but alas! It wasn’t to be.

Dang. I was kinda hoping Amazon would give me 6.04 instead of 6.03 but I guess I'm not lucky two weeks in a row.

I loved the storyline with Stiles Senior. Liked Lydia talking about Sundowning, my grandma would go through it, and man, it was a wild trip when she did. It's interesting that Stiles Senior in a moment of lucidity, wasn't affected by the Wild Hunt. And poor Sheriff Stiles, no wonder you're such a great father. It's nice to know he chose a different path than his parent, other shows could take note that not everyone turns into their parents.

Didn't care for the Jr. Pack story. I am curious to why everyone is having issues with their wild sides since the Wild Ride showed up. I wish there was going to be some crafty reason (messing with their memories was affecting their ability to turn, or the Wild Ride dampens their abilities) but I'm guessing its a budget issue. You would think the last season they would go all out.

I know the showrunner did an interview about this really being Stiles' Mom, but this has to be an affect of the Wild Ride right? Because listing off all the things that would be different because of Stiles not existing would be huge beyond the choice of not having children. Scott would have set himself on fire, Derek would have drown, Allison would be alive, Issac would be in town, Malia would have more Coyote issues, and I can't think about how Lydia would be different because her and Stiles are so intertwined. Plus, I hate this idea that his mother would be alive if Stiles was gone. Talk about a massive guilt trip for Stiles if he knew. We already know he blames himself, but to actually have it verified would be awful. How do you come back from that?

Does anyone know how many episodes this last season is? Are we getting a winter/summer again or is it just this last season.

• Love 3

I think they are all having issues because Stiles is gone. He was the beating heart of the team.

Scott is lost and has no clue what to do, like he was in season 1. Lydia seems to be going into her banshee world more and more, With Malia he was her anchor that kept her human, with him gone she's reverting back to wild coyote Malia. 

They need Stiles to function as a pack.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Does anyone know how many episodes this last season is? Are we getting a winter/summer again or is it just this last season.

I believe this season is 20 episodes.

I'm enjoying this storyline so much. I miss Dylan O'Brien, but that's okay because everyone in the show is missing Stiles too. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think they are all having issues because Stiles is gone. He was the beating heart of the team.

Scott is lost and has no clue what to do, like he was in season 1. Lydia seems to be going into her banshee world more and more, With Malia he was her anchor that kept her human, with him gone she's reverting back to wild coyote Malia. 

So my question then is, do they learn how to function without Stiles to get him back? Or are they all on the fritz until he is back? Because college is looming and they'll all be separated...so will they have issues there or will they be fine because Stiles will be with them.

I know its a moot point considering we probably won't see any of them in college, but I can't turn my brain off of that idea. I wanted to see them in college solving even crazier supernatural issues away from home. College opens up a world-wide door for them. The stories would have been fun. I guess that's what fanfiction is for...

5 minutes ago, justcris said:

I believe this season is 20 episodes.

I'm enjoying this storyline so much. I miss Dylan O'Brien, but that's okay because everyone in the show is missing Stiles too. 

Thanks @justcris, I wasn't sure. I like this storyline too. I kinda like that we're not seeing Stiles wherever he is. I think it'll make for a bigger impact when we do see him.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think Stiles will be back before they go to college. 

Oh I think so too. It'll be interesting to see what the teachers do about Stiles "missing" work and days. How undoing the Wind Hunt will affect Stiles in other unsupernatural parts of his life so he can graduate.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:58 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Elias was an interesting character, and reminded me a little bit of Stiles at parts. But he's an asshole, so screw that abusive guy.

What is with these grandfathers?  First Alyson's and now Styles are both nasty pieces of work.  Some people have daddy issues; Daniels seems to have grand-daddy issues.

On 11/30/2016 at 6:57 PM, beee said:

Hayden and Liam are an even more soporific couple than Scott and Allison always were.

Sophmoric or junior-ic?  I forget what grade they're in...

Hayden and Liam are an even more soporific couple than Scott and Allison always were.

22 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Sophmoric or junior-ic?  I forget what grade they're in...

I have no clue which year the kiddie pack is supposed to be in. I think the only thing we know with certainty is that they are neither seniors (because then they would be in the same year as the old pack) nor can they be freshman because Liam and Mason were around before the old pack became seniors.

But I actually meant soporific. I'm one of the few people in fandom who found Allison and Scott's epic love story yawn-inducing for the most part and I find Liam and Hayden even more so. ;-)

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, beee said:

I'm one of the few people in fandom who found Allison and Scott's epic love story yawn-inducing

Scott's relationship with Isaac that happened only in my head was light-years more interesting than Scott and Allison.

• Love 2

I'm one of the few people in fandom who found Allison and Scott's epic love story yawn-inducing

Scott's relationship with Isaac that happened only in my head was light-years more interesting than Scott and Allison.

A LOT of people found Scott's gooey mooning over Allison brought the pacing to a screeching halt, especially in the first season. 

I'm so pissed that the story runners didn't run with the obvious Scott/Isaac that was burning up the screen. I'd also have been good with a Scott/Isaac/Allison triad, but that's probably too much to ask of a teen show even on cable. 

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Sakura12 said:

I agree. It's clear that the pack is suffering because Stiles is the heart, the brains, the everything of the team. Stiles compensates for the deficits of the others. Scott isn't smart, but Stiles is and he's methodical. Lydia is smart, but can be aloof. Stiles pulls her into the group and out of her comfort zone. Malia finds comfort in being an animal, but Stiles reminds her of her humanity.

The JV pack is lucky because Liam isn't nearly as dumb as Scott, but they would suffer greatly if they lost Mason.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2016 at 9:44 PM, ahisma said:

I'm so pissed that the story runners didn't run with the obvious Scott/Isaac that was burning up the screen. I'd also have been good with a Scott/Isaac/Allison triad, but that's probably too much to ask of a teen show even on cable. 

Ha! I never saw any interest from Scott's direction, but Isaac's huge crush on him in Season 3 was really the elephant in the room, wasn't it? I wish they'd actually done something with the hilarious awkwardness that could have been mined from Scott trying to maintain a friendly mentor role with someone who was in unrequited love with him.

• Love 1