Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Sleight of Hand

Willis, Leanne and Jesse risk their lives to operate on an injured officer who has an explosive bullet lodged in her leg. Meanwhile, Mario, Noah and Guthrie treat a magician who comes to the hospital with breathing difficulties.

Okay so I cried watching this episode.  This is why I don't watch these types of shows anymore.  I wanted the male cop not to die so bad..I was really hoping.  Of course his wife was pregnant.  And then that woman?  Who expected that?  When I think about it, of course all the signs were there but still.

I enjoyed the Penn and Teller guy... LOL (don't know which one he is)

• Love 1

Ride along doctor, the one with Rob Lowe on the ambulance...what exactly was she expecting on a ride-along in an ambulance if not emergencies and needing to perform medical services on people who are injured?  I get she wasn't expecting gunfire, but the shooting was over by the time they arrived, and they just had injured police officers that needed care.  Is she new? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, izabella said:

Ride along doctor, the one with Rob Lowe on the ambulance...what exactly was she expecting on a ride-along in an ambulance if not emergencies and needing to perform medical services on people who are injured?  I get she wasn't expecting gunfire, but the shooting was over by the time they arrived, and they just had injured police officers that needed care.  Is she new? 

And working in an over-taxed ER is her regular job!  Seriously, I didn't get what was going on with this character (I admit she's not my favorite anyway).

• Love 5
4 hours ago, MommaBee said:

That was Penn Jillette. They made him look older than he seems to be on his 'FU' show.

When he was speaking, I was certain it was Penn, but when I looked at the screen I just couldn't believe it was.  Either he has aged a lot or they did a good job in make-up making him look older and less healthy than he seems in other appearances.  I always enjoy him.  

And yeah, they did not do a very good job clarifying why that young doctor was so freaked out by the ride-along when they deal with blood, gore, and chaos all the time in that emergency department.  

I was a bit surprised they killed off the lupus patient as well as the guy at the start.  It was a pretty dark episode overall, for sure.  

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

When he was speaking, I was certain it was Penn, but when I looked at the screen I just couldn't believe it was.  Either he has aged a lot or they did a good job in make-up making him look older and less healthy than he seems in other appearances.  I always enjoy him.  

Bit of both, I'd say.

• Love 1

Penn's lost a lot of weight, so his face is more puckered now. He had me believing in magic; I'd've been shocked if they had killed him off.

Willis, Rorish, Mama. Great trio. I'm still loving Guthrie, too. Campbell is having more moments. I think from the old cast, the two characters I miss are Taylor and his temporary replacement (who was murdered). Loved their dry senses of humor.

And wasn't it a sweet moment when the SWAT team volunteered to carry the gurney?

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, mojito said:

Penn's lost a lot of weight, so his face is more puckered now. He had me believing in magic; I'd've been shocked if they had killed him off.

Willis, Rorish, Mama. Great trio. I'm still loving Guthrie, too. Campbell is having more moments. I think from the old cast, the two characters I miss are Taylor and his temporary replacement (who was murdered). Loved their dry senses of humor.

And wasn't it a sweet moment when the SWAT team volunteered to carry the gurney?

Ah ha, weight loss would indeed explain how changed he seems.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

And yeah, they did not do a very good job clarifying why that young doctor was so freaked out by the ride-along when they deal with blood, gore, and chaos all the time in that emergency department.  

I was a bit surprised they killed off the lupus patient as well as the guy at the start.  It was a pretty dark episode overall, for sure.  

I thought the same thing! When he first started talking I thought hey it's Penn! But no way can he look that old it's amazing what make up can do. 

And add me to the list of people who didn't get the young doctors reaction. She's new but not new enough to be acting like that. Wasn't her friend shot and killed just a few episodes ago?

On 12/1/2016 at 5:41 PM, mojito said:

It was to me, also.  They put their lives on the line for her.   But they could have picked up just the backboard and wheeled the gurney behind her.

Just for information, a 20mm round is 3/4" in diameter.  They are designed for air to air combat, or anti-equipment use.  I would think that, at the velocity it was fired, it would have taken her leg off even without exploding.

Noa, the female doctor who froze up, got a harsh welcoming to the world of serious trauma.  I kept waiting for Lowe to tap her on the forehead as a "get back in the game" method.

I was a little surprised, but pleased in the context that they used it, at Penn's insistence on magic.  He is rather disdainful in real life of the term as it is applied to card tricks.  This is because it demeans the amount of practice a magician has to put in to make a simple trick look like magic. 

Cigars on the roof.  Cool.  Now for some bourbon and poker.

a 20mm round is 3/4" in diameter.  They are designed for air to air combat, or anti-equipment use.  I would think that, at the velocity it was fired, it would have taken her leg off even without exploding.

That thing was HUGE.  Auggh.

Totally medical show cliché when the guy said "Tell my wife I love her" and the doctor at first said "You are going to tell her yourself."  And of course the cliché that the wife was pregnant.  Oh well.  I'll still watch.  Being of a certain age who watched St. Elsewhere and ER, I think I've seen almost every scenario on a medical show.