Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: WWJD: What Would Jessica Do?

I like seeing Eddie and Emery hanging out more. It makes sense, as they are more in the same peer group now. 

So THATS the one dentist who just cant recommend anything! It all makes sense now!

"I might say I`m a god on the dance floor, but not in front of the children!"

• Love 5

The all-cereals treat would've been fine if they'd either:

Made treats one cereal-type at a time

or

Left out the Cracklin' Oat Bran

That stuff is like eating tiny bricks. The rest of the unwanted cereals (that I could see) should've been no more tooth-breaking as a regular rice krispie treat, but if this were a real situation, I suspect the problem was mixing all the different textures together made it harder to eat, or just the Cracklin' Oat Bran's fault entirely. Could go either way. Or be both.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

I used to like Crackling' Oat Bran. I think I'd let it soak in the milk for a while.

I liked this ep. It was good seeing Jessica and Evan doing things together. 

Emory looked a lot bigger/older to me. 

I liked the bit where Jessica served him his leftover pizza crusts as substitute bacon strips.

I loved the whole thing about the 4 out of 5 dentists. "I cannot recommend it."

• Love 5

I loved this episode. The blinding teeth were cracking me up. Living with a lighthouse, lol.

Loved the four out of five dentists thing too.

I felt for the boys on the healthy cereals...as a kid, those were the worst.

This remains one of my favorite shows. I'll rewatch after I make a Costco run.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Unless Evan spends all day in church, I don't see why he and Jessica couldn't go to Costco in the afternoon.

The dialogue indicated Evan and Jessica usually spent 4-5 hours on their Costco excursions. For the moment, assume that's meant literally and a joke for the audience, not a joke amongst the characters. Then I shall take a real example from real life, which may or may not apply in show, but could since we weren't given the specifics. Say it takes half an hour to get to church, and Zack's family is punctual so they get there 15 minutes before the service is supposed to start. Then say the service is 2 hours (I know many church's are shorter, but plenty are this long). Then say they spend an hour at the coffee, tea, snack, whatever spiel after, since Evan mentioned having experienced that. Then half an hour back again. That's over four hours just on church. 

Could they then spend another 4+ hours going to Costco? Sure. But I can see how, depending on the timing of the first activity, it might make it undesirable to follow it up with the second. Plus part of the point was it was Jessica and Evan's ritual, and I can see her not wanting to shift to afternoon-Costco. I think with her it's just as likely she had a very specific plan and approach and timing was part of it, and shifting around Evan's schedule for something else might defeat the purpose a little.

• Love 3

Have you ever been in a Costco in the afternoon?

Especially on a weekend and not enough parking, like my local one!

The blinding teeth were cracking me up. Living with a lighthouse, lol.

I did like it, however it reminded me too much of the Friends episode where Ross got his whitened.  

• Love 2

I always combine three Friends episodes together in my head: Ross with his crazy teeth, Ross getting a spray tan, and Ross wearing leather pants. I know they're separate episodes but I think subconsciously I just want to see Ross with glow in the dark teeth, a level 8 tan, and leather pants (although let's be real - the lotion baby powder paste) all at the same time. For that reason, I kept hoping Louis would get a gloriously orange fake tan. 

• Love 5

I definitely found the concept of this episode interesting. Two of my closest friends are Chinese American and were raised areligiously. They're now both very strongly Christian. (Also, almost the entirety of my high school's Christian club was made up of students who were of East Asian descent; I don't know what all of their families believed, but I found that interesting as well.)

I was surprised that they had Jessica come around on Evan going to church so easily, but I'm willing to accept that as an effect of this being a sitcom. If it were a drama or dramedy, I would expect it to be drawn out for at least a few episodes. I do wish the show had gone more into culture and belief systems within the episode.  

On 12/1/2016 at 10:27 AM, peeayebee said:

And although this wasnt stated on-screen, Costco usually closes at 6pm on Sundays.  

2 hours ago, Lawgiver said:

I call foul that Jessica would be so sanguine that Evan is attending church with a friend. No way would she be so accepting.

I think it made perfect sense.  Jessica is a very pragmatic and reasonable character. She wouldnt tolerate Evan dragging her into church too, but she wont stand in his way of going himself. 

On 12/1/2016 at 10:27 AM, peeayebee said:

On 12/1/2016 at 10:07 PM, mtlchick said:

Especially on a weekend and not enough parking, like my local one!

On 12/1/2016 at 3:43 PM, theatremouse said:

The dialogue indicated Evan and Jessica usually spent 4-5 hours on their Costco excursions. For the moment, assume that's meant literally and a joke for the audience, not a joke amongst the characters. Then I shall take a real example from real life, which may or may not apply in show, but could since we weren't given the specifics. Say it takes half an hour to get to church, and Zack's family is punctual so they get there 15 minutes before the service is supposed to start. Then say the service is 2 hours (I know many church's are shorter, but plenty are this long). Then say they spend an hour at the coffee, tea, snack, whatever spiel after, since Evan mentioned having experienced that. Then half an hour back again. That's over four hours just on church. 

Could they then spend another 4+ hours going to Costco? Sure. But I can see how, depending on the timing of the first activity, it might make it undesirable to follow it up with the second. Plus part of the point was it was Jessica and Evan's ritual, and I can see her not wanting to shift to afternoon-Costco. I think with her it's just as likely she had a very specific plan and approach and timing was part of it, and shifting around Evan's schedule for something else might defeat the purpose a little.

18 hours ago, Tiger said:

And although this wasnt stated on-screen, Costco usually closes at 6pm on Sundays.

All this is true, but if they got there at 1 (lunch would be the free samples, or they could eat sandwiches in the car) they'd still have 4-5 hours.  A line from Jessica about how only lazy people who don't plan properly go to Costco in the afternoon would have been appreciated!

On 12/3/2016 at 3:16 PM, Ikki said:

I definitely found the concept of this episode interesting. Two of my closest friends are Chinese American and were raised areligiously. They're now both very strongly Christian. (Also, almost the entirety of my high school's Christian club was made up of students who were of East Asian descent; I don't know what all of their families believed, but I found that interesting as well.)

I was surprised that they had Jessica come around on Evan going to church so easily, but I'm willing to accept that as an effect of this being a sitcom. If it were a drama or dramedy, I would expect it to be drawn out for at least a few episodes. I do wish the show had gone more into culture and belief systems within the episode.  

I was sitting the entire time thinking the baby, still in elementary school? One of the older boys who have more autonomy wo