Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: R-A-Y-C-- Ray-Cation

Drogo

The DiMeos' chronic tardiness prompts Ray to have them practice getting to school on time so he won't miss an upcoming weekend field trip. Meanwhile, the family pitches in to help when JJ is interested in a girl.

Great bonding between JJ and Ray tonight. I felt so bad for JJ having to depend on other people to do something that most teens take for granted. I like how they made Dylan more likable while keeping her personality.

• Love 9

I liked seeing how well JJ handled the whole situation with the girl he liked, and wasn't terribly upset at the end. Loved seeing his brother be there for him too.

I think it's very hard for his mom to back off but she is realizing more and more that she just needs to step away and let JJ do as much for himself as he can. That includes not spying on him. No parent wants to see their kid get their heart broken but it's something a parent really can't prevent either, especially during the teenage years when kids start dating.

• Love 3

I got a charge out of the "pit crew" fixing up J.J. while his girl friend was in the powder room. I can relate to the DiMeo's lateness compulsion -- my wife was exactly like that. I like how this show makes J.J.'s needs an integral part of the family's story, but only a part. And as so many have noted, the all-around love each has for each other.

• Love 8

So much love for this episode! Ray reminds me SO much of me as a teen. His singular focus on making sure the family is "on time" also reminds me of my teenager. Spending money to rent a car to make SURE he is on time is something he would do. 

The way Ray played along with JJs "date rehearsal"  was awesome. And his comment at the end about how they could go through "all that" but "can't be on time" for him just had me laughing and laughing. 

The father/daughter relationship is just too cute!

And Ray sacrificing at the end to be with JJ for his "first heartbreak" was just so sweet! I'm glad they at least added the ending in the hot tub , where Kenneth acknowledges how great a brother Ray is - the hot tub "vacation" being a rearward. I always hate when television shows have someone do something really awesome , but hen we don't get to see the acknowledgement of that by the other characters. 

I was concerned after the first episode that this was going to be some sort of "star vehicle" for Minnie,  as it appeared Maya was going to be the over-the-top primary character.  But I think the show has really hit its groove by focusing enough on all the other characters, and making this a "family" show. In fact, I don't think there is any one "standout" star in this show (much love to Micah though!) I think the FAMILY is the "star", and why I love this show so much more each week.

• Love 10

This was my favorite episode so far, everything just clicked.  Loved Ray playing JJ's love interest…especially when he really did have to pee during the date dry run.  But I adored him using his car service for JJ and staying with his brother to help him through his first heartbreak.  That was just terrific.

The practice runs were killing me; of course they ended up going to breakfast!  And I liked JJ teasing Ray about going to breakfast after the hospital visit.

• Love 5

I really loved this episode, and I am really loving this show! All the characters have gelled, and I love how they deal with both typical sitcom plots, while also dealing with the unique situation that comes with having a special needs kid. 

Especially loved how fast Ray went along with wearing the wig and playing the part of JJs dream girl. 

• Love 5

This show is so good but ABC sucks at promoting it. I didn't know there would be a new a new episode until I checked this forum. According to my cable guide there will be a new episode named Sle-Sledhockey.

• Love 2

I love this show. It really seems to be settling in as a funny show, in a snarky but sweet kind of way.

All the family members have a great dynamic and it's fun to watch the different combos each week. I love the brothers together. Ray, in all his awkwardness, going in whole hog on the practice date was hilarious. And the moment between the boys on the beach was sweet. 

I also like that the show isn't doing the "chase after the girl even though she isn't interested in you and make her love you" path that a lot of shows do. It's ok for things to not work out, you don't have to wear someone down until they have feelings for you. And it's not the end of the world. It sucks for Ray and JJ that Jillian and Claire don't want to date them, but high school stinks like that. I like the realness there. 

• Love 6

I loved the fact that for all the screw ups in the practice runs, they would have been on time to drop Ray off on the day of the trip.  I also loved the boys' attitude that it was disappointing not to have the girls choose them, but they put themselves out there and that's all they could do.  Finally, I was glad they didn't have Claire fall for JJ.  Heart-breaking, but realistic.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I loved the fact that for all the screw ups in the practice runs, they would have been on time to drop Ray off on the day of the trip.  I also loved the boys' attitude that it was disappointing not to have the girls choose them, but they put themselves out there and that's all they could do.  Finally, I was glad they didn't have Claire fall for JJ.  Heart-breaking, but realistic.

I was happy that they didn't have her give him a pity kiss

• Love 5

I teared up a little when the brothers were at the beach. Touching stuff. 

And big laughs for 'The things they would do to Emma Watson.......we have to warn her!' I also thought Kenneth had some excellent moments, too. His comment about not liking Maya's tone was superbly delivered.

I am really liking this show. 

Edited by Gulftastic
  • Love 5

While I was initially put off by how badly Ray was treated in this one, I've watched it twice more since the first airing and it's now probably my second favorite ep so far, after "Halloween." :) (The recent "Hero" and "Sick Day" both rank pretty high, too.)

Loved seeing the brothers bond at the beach; if Ray was inevitably going to miss his trip,* I'm glad it was his choice to be there for JJ, and I loved how he was able to draw on his own heartbreak experience (with Jillian in "Halloween") to empathize with him. Also, the closing tag with Kenneth letting Ray use his hot tub was downright adorable, especially after he had taken his holiday stress / family drama out on the poor little guy in the Thanksgiving episode!

As for the Jimmy/Dylan subplot, I thought their anger-management plot in "Date?" went a lot further in developing both characters with minimal screen time, but this still had a couple of nice moments: Dylan's painful realization that she's getting too old to predict the hot new Christmas toy, and Jimmy's reassurance that she's still special to him despite bungling their eBay / re-selling scheme. I did find it oddly appropriate that Dylan's pick happened to be a clown with a creepy laugh, given the news stories about suspicious clown sightings last year; in retrospect, I also think her saying she forgot her sack of marbles during the first practice-run (and Ray's baffled response -- "Are you from the Depression??") works as a bit of foreshadowing about her being out-of-touch with kids' current taste in toys.

* I still find it funny that, after his parents kept blowing it on the "practice runs," they were ultimately prepared to get Ray to his class's bus on time on the day it actually would've mattered (too bad they didn't foresee him taking matters into his own hands before then)...

Edited by GRChereck
typo
  • Love 2