Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Bio-Mechanical Failure

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

The description shown for the episode for me was:

Artists team up to create cyborg pieces for their canvases. 

So glad Nikki is gone.  I can't believe she was able to whine her way this far into the season.  She is a good tattooer but damn was I tired of listening to her.  I laughed when Nunez said how much he liked her attitude, right after we saw her signature pout and heard yet another long whinefest from her. 

I thought they were going to find some excuse to even up the teams again. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't force this.  Kelly and Nikki were way off with the biomechanical tattoos.  For Ryan this works out well, she has one of her friends on the final jury.     

• Love 3

I would not have recognized Garver at all. Miami Ink was longer ago than I thought. What I mostly remember, aside from his beautiful tattoos and gentle personality, is how much his back used to hurt. I'm a little surprised he's still tattooing.

What were Nikki and Kelly thinking? Not only was that an unpleasant looking tattoo, it didn't even begin to meet the criteria. Not sure why the canvas approved it in the first place. On the plus side, Nunez made an ass of himself trying to defend it.

I finally agreed with Nikki about something -- she should have outlasted Nate.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Shitty season because of a shitty concept. No way should half-assed Nate still be around. He gets carried by his teammates again, and two superior artists have to face off. He may be good at home, but even he admitted to being mediocre here. That sucks. This better be a Kelly, Ryan and Gian final. 

• Love 8

Oh god, I missed the episode, but Nate is STILL THERE? As much as I don't like Nikki's attitude, I like her tattoos. Nate's best tattoo on the show is on par with Nikki's worst.

Agree that it better be Ryan, Kelly, and Gian in the finale. If Nate somehow takes Kelly's place, then I think I will riot (quietly, in my living room, so as not to wake the neighbors).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sugar said:

Agree that it better be Ryan, Kelly, and Gian in the finale. If Nate somehow takes Kelly's place, then I think I will riot (quietly, in my living room, so as not to wake the neighbors).

If by riot, you mean, "fuck this show and I won't watch the finale in protest", I'm right beside you! I wasn't a huge Nikki fan, but I detest that there is a contestant who not only admits, but seems proud of the fact that he is permanently marking people for life with intentionally mediocre work. 

• Love 5

I actually liked Nikki's gypsy better than I liked Kelly's.  That face was beautiful, and if I had to choose a tat to wear, it would be Nikki's.  My untrained eye could not see a difference in the "smoothness" of the bandanas.  That being said, I think Kelly is waaay more talented than Nikki, and has a better chance to win, so I'm glad she's still there.

I liked seeing Peck give Núñez a bunch of shit, especially since Núñez was so sure that Peck made the wrong decision when he was advising his team.  Eat that, you douche.  happy0065.gif

Nate is a putz.  mad0063.gif

Edited by Honey
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Honey said:

I actually liked Nikki's gypsy better than I liked Kelly's.

Ink Master's hatefully slow site doesn't have the gypsy tattoos in their gallery; I wanted to look at them more closely because I was torn. I didn't understand the critique about Nikki's headscarf, either. I liked hers better in the sense that I wouldn't mind having it on me, but both were really well done.

• Love 1

Both gypsy tattoos were quite good. My issues with Nikki were the nose was really small and high, which made the proportion off on an otherwise lovely face and there was no  depth to the head scarf.  Kelly's head scarf had more shadowing that gave a better sense of curvature to the head.  With that said, they were both really good-looking, well-applied tattoos.  They made the judges work. 

• Love 4

Nikki's head scarf was flat and had no smoothness or dimension.  It didn't look like fabric as much as Kelly's did.  I was surprised that Kelly's jewels were criticized while those terrible coins that were far from perfect circles, and looked like lollipops hanging off the scarf were not critiqued at all.  Kelly's work is just so smooth and so precise and you can tell she has a light hand from the way she tends not to overwork her pieces (she did overwork the head tattoo earlier on, though).  Nate is almost a freaking legend.  Why the hell is he phoning this in?  The man does AMAZING work, but not one iota of that was to be seen in any of his work on Ink Master.  I like Ryan's work... a lot.  I just am getting a little over the whining and the girl power.  At this point in the game, they're all competing for one goal and alliances can hurt you.  Glad to see Nikki go. She's a good tattooer, but good Lord, her inexperience shows in the way she behaves and the lack of respect she has for those who came before her.  Would hve loved a double elimination of her and Nate.

• Love 1

Nikki is gone!  Yay!  Her work was generally good but her attitude was complete ass.  When she got a good critique or knew she was safe, she was smug, condescending and yapped way too much.  When she was in the hot seat, she broke into tears and whined.  Very much like a bully.  Certainly no candidate for IM.   Her gypsy was beautiful though, as was Kelly's.  I prefer Kelly both as an artist and as a non-whiny person.

Nate is disappointing.  I don't know his reputation but to say you're phoning it in because people want "stupid" tattoos is insulting.  He shouldn't win based on that alone. 

Ryan generally does good work but I don't like her or her attitude.  I find her just as whiny as Nikki.  She can go home after having such difficulty with the skull pick because she still wants to look out for the other girls.  You're down to the final 5, you want to make sure you that you do well.  

Gian doesn't offend me but I'm rooting for Kelly to win.

Dave continues to remain the most sensible judge and who also brings up the challenge.  Love Dave.

Still miss Josh.

• Love 3

Final three will be Ryan, Kelly and Nate. Nate will be painted as the villain and will be eliminated first.

Ryan will win, but only because she is thinner and allegedly cuter than Kelly even though Kelly rocks as an artist.

Oliver had some good one-liners tonight.

Nate "I'm not gonna let someone who's been tattoing for 4 years tell me what to do" Beavers should've left with Sketchy a long  time ago. It's quality, not quantity dude.

I love how both Ryan and Nikki said Kelly was their own tattoo artist role model before the show and now  they are friends. Unusually nice moments for this show.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 3

Finally caught the episode.

Ok, I'm officially on the Kelly bandwagon now. Her convo with Nikki before elimination is the kind of girl power I like to see - women supporting women, but not by putting someone else down. I agree that it is practically an insult that Nate is still there, but Nikki had to go home for 2 good tattoos. Everyone keeps referring to Nate as some tattoo legend, but I am completely unimpressed with his work here, and with his shitty attitude. Also, every time he speaks it looks and sounds like he's reading from cue cards. There's no inflection in his voice, and it sounds so unnatural. Drives me crazy!

I hate skin tear tattoos because the style of skin rip is usually what we saw here - it looks more like bark than real skin.

I really loved Nikki's gypsy sketch, but I think she lost it a little in the proportions of the face. Like someone said upthread, the nose was a little too small, high,  and pushed in, and it threw off the whole thing. And the scarf didn't have the same richness that Kelly's had.

Kelly for the win!

Garver! <3 Always liked him.

EDIT: Ok, I looked up Nate's portfolio, and holy crap! He has some really beautiful work there - what the hell has he been doing on Ink Master? That's not even phoning it in, it's being in a coma while holding a tattoo gun. Is he really downplaying his skill as "strategy"??!?!

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 4
On 11/23/2016 at 10:58 AM, AlliePK said:

Nate is almost a freaking legend.

I'm not exactly doubting his rep, but it's a little hard believe based on what he's done on the show. Why not try to put out your best work in front of a few hundred thousand viewers?

Anyway, here's a gypsy from Nate's portfolio for comparison. I think both Nikki's and Kelly's would have bested it. The hands make no anatomical sense at a weird angle practically coming out of her neck.

gypsy.JPG

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

They picked a weird time for the teams to suddenly matter. The people who run this show really have no idea what they're doing. Nate got a freebie week because he got picked by Peck at the beginning of the season. In the top five, worst artist/tattoo should go home. The gimmick challenges should be over this late in the competition.

I found Nikki to be heavily annoying, but I wouldn't have minded her moving on. Kelly's new school and portraits are top tier, but I think Nikki's shown a wider range in the challenges. Given how this show generally does things, she wont be allowed to incorporate either if she makes the finale and that makes me a little nervous. Not as concerning as Ryan having to do full color though.

I found it funny how the girls listened to Nunez's advice and the tattoo completely bombed. Maybe Kevin was on to something. Also, looking through Nate's shop portfolio, holy crap. The difference in the work is night and day.

Edited by Apatee
  • Love 2

If Kelly, Gian and Ryan are in the final (which duh, must happen!) then imo it will be the coolest, most talented final of the show ever... I don´t care who would win that tbh.

I like this season a lot, simply because the tattoo-ing has been pretty good throughout, almost always a lot of good work for the judges to choose from. And the judging hasn´t been as crazy as on some of the other later seasons.

• Love 4

Nate reminds me of a big, fluffy orange cat that is allegedly good at catching mice but hates everyone and everything so much that he'll be damned if he catches any unless he wants to.

I just took in an orphaned kitten though so maybe I have cats on my mind.

Kelly seems like such a nice person. I think Ryan is going to win but I would love for Kelly to win.

IMO, I find it interesting that they've been playing up Nikki's inexperience when Ryan's only been tattooing a year longer, apparently. That's why, IMO, Ryan is getting a winner's edit if anyone is this season.

Co-signing the dislike of bio-mechanical. I've seen some awesome ones; they're just not my cuppa.

Come back, Josh!

Love you, Dave!

Kelly, for the win!!

Ryan will figure out a way to do a black and gray (and white) tat. Honestly, if she told me it was her forte, I'd let her do black and gray on me unless it was a full backpiece.

Edited by PepperMonkey