Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: Life is Full of Surprises

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

When Jenni made those pants, I thought they looked like pajama pants. Or yoga pants. That outfit looked like "Oops, I spilled something on my nicely fitted professional-looking black pants, but I have to run to the store for a quart of milk -- let me throw on some pajama/yoga pants instead."

Go back to sewing appliques on stuff, which you just love to do, right, Jenni? So much so that you only ever did it that one time after you'd worked with Erin, and never used that technique again. Erin's stuff may be awful, but at least it's original.

A-huh-huh-huh-huh [/Jenni's cartoon laugh]-- that's all folks.

Edited by Eolivet
23 hours ago, candall said:

--AARP was top drawer with that $50,000 prize (and I liked that half was specifically earmarked for the model moms.)  I snickered a little at the representative's suggestion that AARP likes to promote re-imagining oneself, particularly for the over-50 crowd.  Ha, if it ain't "over 50," it ain't AARP.  But I'm over 50, and I think AARP is a fine little institution.  God knows no one else is writing about technology, investments, vacations, medicine or mental/physical activities with an eye toward my demographic every month.

Yeah, I'm not down with complaining about AARP. I'm not 50 yet, but I've definitely perused my parents' AARP magazine. And besides, even though the fashion industry is apparently married to the 20-something demographic, it's a lot more likely that someone a little older with some career experience behind her can actually afford what they're offering. I sure as hell couldn't afford anything more expensive than Ross when I was young and skinny.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ha.  So true.  I guess that's partly what's behind the success of designer handbags and shoes and cell phone cases.  We don't have to fit into them.  

For the vast majority of designers and high fashion brands, fragrances and accessories are the bulk of their revenue.

• Love 2

"--AARP was top drawer with that $50,000 prize (and I liked that half was specifically earmarked for the model moms.)  I snickered a little at the representative's suggestion that AARP likes to promote re-imagining oneself, particularly for the over-50 crowd.  Ha, if it ain't "over 50," it ain't AARP.  But I'm over 50, and I think AARP is a fine little institution.  God knows no one else is writing about technology, investments, vacations, medicine or mental/physical activities with an eye toward my demographic every month."

Ladies, all of you who are AARP eligible and love fashion, what clothing do you buy?  I am a slave to Eileen Fisher.  I also love Poetry, a British outfit.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, susannot said:

"--AARP was top drawer with that $50,000 prize (and I liked that half was specifically earmarked for the model moms.)  I snickered a little at the representative's suggestion that AARP likes to promote re-imagining oneself, particularly for the over-50 crowd.  Ha, if it ain't "over 50," it ain't AARP.  But I'm over 50, and I think AARP is a fine little institution.  God knows no one else is writing about technology, investments, vacations, medicine or mental/physical activities with an eye toward my demographic every month."

Ladies, all of you who are AARP eligible and love fashion, what clothing do you buy?  I am a slave to Eileen Fisher.  I also love Poetry, a British outfit.

I'm just 50, 5'9" and a size 16. Everything I buy now is from an Etsy page called Aakasha. I feel like Beyonce in her clothes .  

• Love 3

Erin's look was so hands-down the worst to me that I am still mad she didn't get the auf. Your mom has to wear a lab coat to work so you make her a 10 times bigger, uglier, permanent lab coat? And then the dress was a 70s preteen party dress. She has maxed out her credit with those early wins, time to get rid of her.

Laurence's daughter looks like a young Whitney Houston to me. I was also surprised she was not in the top three or the winner strictly based on the fact that she's a teenager with a model figure, the gold standard for past "real woman" challenge wins. I found Laurence's look for her to be very boring tho. I was surprise she didn't step it up and make her something killer that only a teenager with a model figure could wear... she would've had this challenge in the bag. But the girl also did seem very reserved.

i'm not a huge fan of hip-hop and never heard of Bahamadia until now. When I Googled her I was super impressed, she's very respected in the hip-hop community. I like her music and she was a trailblazer for women in hip-hop back in the day. There's not a lot of room in hip-hop for gay black men and I wonder if that has something to do with her and Mah-Jing's complicated relationship. The tension between the really was palpable. I'm glad they had this experience to bring them closer together.

I have to say, I was not as crazy about her look as the judges were, it kind of reminded me of Darth Vader's helmet. But she asked for "origami" and to look like a ninja and Mah-Jing delivered on both counts. The origami top part looked a little contrived but hey, that's what she asked for. 

Glad Rik pulled out the win for mom, yeah he needs to pay her back! What a gift. I wonder why AARP went all out with this prize? They could've dropped 5K each on them and everyone would've still been delighted and no one would've been the wiser. And it's not like AARP got this great product placement, I mean… no one's going to look back on this as "the AARP challenge" but just the "real woman challenge of season 15." I don't know, I just feel like AARP's 50K could be better served helping… ya know… seniors.

• Love 2

Erin, Erin, Erin.  Stop using Utah as an excuse.

I'm not Mormon; the closest I've ever been is seeing The Book of Mormon on Broadway.  But even I know that Mormon women have cooler clothing options than Erin's old tablecloth/drab fleece combo on Shabby Apple.  She seriously bugs with her lame ass Utah/Mormonism "sob story".

Well, I AM Mormon and Erin's digs about Mormonism bugged me by the end of the first episode.  She is mistaking being raised by crappy people for the beliefs of the Church.  I've been a member my whole life and don't feel any of what she is talking about.  Of course I've lived almost my whole life in New England and not Utah.  Here in New England you can't even tell the difference between Mormons and non Mormons regarding style.  Ya, we don't go for super revealing stuff but other than that we dress the same as everyone else.  No Mormon I know would be caught dead in the lace dress.