Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: Life is Full of Surprises

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I'm glad Rik won, though I didn't see it. As soon as they praised Mah Jing's outfit, I left the room. No, just no. She looked ridiculous.

My husband was complaining he doesn't like the "real woman" challenges, but I enjoy them. It seems like a good challenge to have to dress someone who isn't a size 0! I tend to think the actual models are getting even skinnier and skinner, non?

Jenny's outfit was horrendous. Why, oh, why, didn't she just use the pants and then put a cute, short navy blue blazer over it?

• Love 4

I don't mind the judges close up review of the clothes when it's just random models standing there but it is SOOOO cringeworthy when it is not just a non model, but in this case a non-model who loves the person who designed their outfit. When they were ripping apart Jenni's outfit you could see how hard it was for her mom to just stand there and have to listen to it. That's her little girl you are tearing apart. Yikes! Not that I disagree with what they were saying, that outfit was TRAGIC but still, as a mom it can't be easy to just stand there and hear that.

I would have preferred Mah-jing to win though I'm fine with Rik winning. Loved both their looks. Just, on a personal level, I think Mah-jing could have used the validation in front of him mother. He was really, really emotional about having a chance to do this with her. I think he probably doesn't get a lot of validation from her though I do think she seemed touched, I just don't think she is the type to show it. But I thought she looked a little teary in close ups.

By Jenni. I'm not happy or sad about her going. I had little opinion of her either way.

Erin has gone quickly from a favorite, when I thought she was going to be fresh and original, to boring, when I realized she's a one trick pony. Seriously, another shapeless coat? And WTF was that dress? I don't get her at all. What I also don't get was Roberi's. Everyone seemed to love it and I just don't get it. The skirt part looked cheap and I didn't think the competing patterns complemented each other at all.

We are fairly long into the season and I still don't really have a favorite, someone who I can't wait to see what they make. I usually have at least one who, whether I would wear their stuff or not, I am interested in seeing what they make. This crop just seem so...predictable. Lawrence makes beautiful clothes but nothing I haven't seen already. Erin makes the same thing over and over. The rest, I can barely remember what they have done.

I miss the Fade's the Christian Serriano's the Laura Bennett's. There just aren't any stand outs this season.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't mind the judges close up review of the clothes when it's just random models standing there but it is SOOOO cringeworthy when it is not just a non model, but in this case a non-model who loves the person who designed their outfit. When they were ripping apart Jenni's outfit you could see how hard it was for her mom to just stand there and have to listen to it. That's her little girl you are tearing apart. Yikes! Not that I disagree with what they were saying, that outfit was TRAGIC but still, as a mom it can't be easy to just stand there and hear that.

Yes, and worse, they kind of lobbed some of their observations right at Jenni's mom, almost as if they expected her to agree with them.  You're right of course.   My daughter does suck.   And have you noticed she has an annoying laugh?

But I call chickenshit on the show for failing to have the bottom three mothers on the runway at the end.  The top three moms were there, but the bottom three were noticeably absent.   Why?  Did they fear a Momma Bear reaction when Jenni was sent home?   Or did they consider it an act of mercy?   Either bring out all the moms or none of them.   The half-measure was awkward.

• Love 5

For once, my choice for best design agreed with the judges' pick.  I thought it was head and shoulders above the rest, no contest at all.  I liked Roberi's, but Rik's was in a class of its own. 

The surprise to me over the past few weeks has been the rapid fade of Erin and now Laurence.  They had some good ideas but used them up too quickly, apparently.  Erin's early success seems to have frozen her in place, unable to come up with anything new or to take notes on what Tim and the judges tell her.  Laurence, who I thought could not be beat just a short while ago, seems also to have ossified after being rewarded well early on, and seeming to be the one to beat.  Meanwhile, Rik, Roberi, and even Cornelius seem to be surging forward, which is gratifying but also a bit puzzling.   Did we not see the potential earlier, or were they holding back?  

I always feel so bad for the "real-life" models and family/loved ones who end up in the bottom tier.  The judges can be pretty harsh, and there the family members are trying as hard as they can to seem confident and happy in the awful designs they're wearing.  And now with the hands-on inspection, awkward enough to watch when the models are professionals, it seems beyond uncomfortable.  

So now I'm much less confident who will end up in the final four than I felt just a week or so ago.  I continue to enjoy the relative lack of drama compared with other seasons, and I believe any of the remaining designers could possibly pull out a victory.  Makes it interesting! 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

Erin's early success seems to have frozen her in place, unable to come up with anything new or to take notes on what Tim and the judges tell her.  

She's haughty and stubborn, which doesn't help either.  At this stage of the game she ought to be able to recognize that her formula isn't working anymore and it's time to rethink everything.   Tim stood there and all but told her to change it up.   I was like "Don't tell her, Tim, let her crash and burn!"  But it didn't matter because she ignored his advice.  Anyone who has watched this show for a period of time knows that you ignore Tim at your own peril.   

• Love 21
Just now, millennium said:

She's haughty and stubborn, which doesn't help either.  At this stage of the game she ought to be able to recognize that her formula isn't working anymore and it's time to rethink everything.   Tim stood there and all but told her to change it up.   I was like "Don't tell her, Tim, let her crash and burn!"  But it didn't matter because she ignored his advice.  Anyone who has watched this show for a period of time knows that you ignore Tim at your own peril.   

I started watching I believe in season 2, and remember commenting to my daughter, "They really need to listen to the advice that guy gives them when he comes in."  All these years later, still true!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, blaase said:

I think the only reason Cornelius was not in the bottom was to not make Tim look bad for saving him lol.

Who would you pull out of the bottom three to make room for him? The problem was there were four shitty looks and one of them had to be safe. At least his seemed finished and not oversized toddler clothes. Jenni's look was hideous. Nathalia had good ideas but it was so unfinished and the proportions of off. Erin's was baffling. I was thrilled when Zac asked how that ugly winter coat went with the ugly summer dress. It made no sense on top of both being poorly made. The judges are hanging on to Erin because she's "cool" but how many ugly looks can she send down the runway before that cool will finally rub off.

Rik's was amazing. I do think AARP probably told the judges they'd strongly prefer to see the prize money go to one of the older models but it worked out since Rik's look deserved it. 

I also loved Roberi's dress. I thought those patterns mixed perfectly and the proportions and piping really made that look. I'd buy that dress in a heartbeat. I wish Mah-Jing would have brought more colour into his look. His mom was wearing great patterns during the workroom scenes and he wrapped in in black on black which never reads as well for a runway. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

Did anyone catch the relationship between Dexter and his model?   I must have missed it.   It seemed more than a little unfair that he got to work with a youthful tall blonde.

I think he said that she's been his best friend "for-like-ever" or something similar.  He mentioned that she has always been there for him, in good and bad times.  When Tim said that they were the two coolest people in the room, I cringed, because 1. - I don't think that at all ~~ and 2.  Tim was feeding Dexter's sort of huge ego.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, millennium said:

That was a true slight.  Laurence, for example, exudes coolness in a way Dexter with his silly FRESH shirt and obnoxious nose thingie never will.

Exactly....cool people do not have to draw attention to themselves - they are cool because of that fact! 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

Me, too....I say this same thing every time I watch!  :-)

I miss the multiple day challenges, I miss the fine workmanship, I miss the actual design from Christian and Jay and the beauty of Rami's designs, the fun of Chris March. I miss seeing something and gasping, "I would wear that!"

• Love 10

Erin: Made a shitty coat and a doily dress, what a big surprise.  I feel like she must be screwing someone involved with the show, because she should have been sent home weeks ago.  No one would want to wear the crap she sends down the runway.

Nathalia: How ironic that she talks shit about Erin designing big coats with big pockets, because guess what she made this week??  Still, I feel like she should barely have made it through in the middle of the pack, with Cornelius replacing her in the bottom three.  Echo someone else's comment about her being a hypocrite for using leather, considering the way she mouthed off in the first episode of the season.

Cornelius: You're lucky Tim saved you last week.  I think that's the only thing that prevented you from being in the bottom three this week, as that was a big old pile of cheap-looking crap you sent down the runway.

Jenni: So glad she's gone.  She basically only knows how to make sweat tops and pants, using a variety of fabric.  It was such BS for her to blame her mom for not knowing what to choose; you're the designer, make a choice of one occasion and design for it.  Someone with actual design ability could have done it.

Laurence: Damn, that family won the genetic lottery.  But she is pretty one-note with her designs.

Mah-Jing: I cannot believe that pile of crap was in the top three.  I thought for sure he was finally going home this week, which would have been fully deserved, since he's never really made anything good.  I'm convinced that the only reason he was in the top is that his mom, being some kind of old-timey celebrity, only agreed to be on the show if she would be in the top three, so she could talk about her record label.  I do feel a little bad for Mah-Jing, since my mom is also a stone cold bitch who never wanted children, which is the vibe I got from her.

Dexter: Not cool in the slightest.

Rik: Love him and his designs!  So glad that he won.  That outfit was perfectly designed and made.  It suited him mom beautifully.

Roberi: That dress really did look cute on his friend.  I felt the top half just needed something a little bit more.  But it was cute and I loved his friend's hair. 

• Love 9

What the Buck!  Rogers was Mah-Jing's mother wearing?!?!  Here was probably the one person walking down the runway with real confidence, not put on, not muddled by nerves.  And that thing was wearing the heck out of her, not her wearing it.  I so expected it to be in the bottom.  And what made it worse was the fact that his mother sort of had an attitude that she was doing that outfit a favor when she walked down the runway.  She had some real swagger.  And it still wore her magnificent ass.

In fact Rik's was the only one I truly felt deserved to be in the "top".  Roberi's did not compliment his friend's form to me but I would have been fine with it being safe.

Erin wraps her mother up in a coat that looks like some industrial protection gear -- where large quantities of acid and radiation are involved,  And puts it over what I can only guess is the vow renewal dress for sister-wives in Utah.  What a horror.  She should have gone.  Though Jenni's homage to Kid's Gap 1997 was downright bizarre.  And poorly made.

I actually liked both the guest judges.  Though I still don't know they need two and in this case why they didn't space two of the best and most insightful instead of lumping them together.  Olivia is gorgeous as well as smart and articulate.  She would have made a better judge than Jetter's girlfriend on that other show , hands down for me.

Rik's jacket I think has to be one of the best things to come out of this season.  He managed to call back to Chanel and yet make it his own.  I'll bet some of the sponsors that had to award the prize by making the design and selling it are pissed as hell they did not get this jacket.  With a white tee and jeans.  Dress slacks.  Palazzo pants and just a fashion bra and discreetly but provocatively single buttoned.  Many looks and many ages.  That was just so well done and matched with the perfect dress that was fun had a bit of whimsy and yet not a silly single stitch involved. 

Its funny how both Dexter and Erin had me rolling my eyes during their intros at the top of the season.  I thought what self-absorbed assholes.  Then the actual competition started and I was pleasantly surprised.  They seemed centered and practical and I thought they would be two contestants I could watch to the end or close to it.  Well turns out I was right and I was wrong.  In that order.  Both are exactly the self-absorbed assholes I initially had an immediate reaction to. 

I'm really hoping Rik takes it (sorry because that just probably cursed him to going next week).  He has made some looks I actually liked a lot, like the butcher apron dress, some I thought had merit even if the judges didn't like the one that had all the judges clutching pearls over his hootchie look that I actually thought was a kind of cool club outfit and he has made, for me, the best so far with this outfit for his mother. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, millennium said:

But I call chickenshit on the show for failing to have the bottom three mothers on the runway at the end.  The top three moms were there, but the bottom three were noticeably absent.   Why?  Did they fear a Momma Bear reaction when Jenni was sent home?   Or did they consider it an act of mercy?   Either bring out all the moms or none of them.   The half-measure was awkward.

I would guess the winning moms were on the runway because the winning mom also won a prize.

Edited by UMAngela
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

Its funny how both Dexter and Erin had me rolling my eyes during their intros at the top of the season.  I thought what self-absorbed assholes.  Then the actual competition started and I was pleasantly surprised.  They seemed centered and practical and I thought they would be two contestants I could watch to the end or close to it.  Well turns out I was right and I was wrong.  In that order.  Both are exactly the self-absorbed assholes I initially had an immediate reaction to. 

I'm really hoping Rik takes it (sorry because that just probably cursed him to going next week).  He has made some looks I actually liked a lot, like the butcher apron dress, some I thought had merit even if the judges didn't like the one that had all the judges clutching pearls over his hootchie look that I actually thought was a kind of cool club outfit and he has made, for me, the best so far with this outfit for his mother. 

Agree so much with all you wrote, but especially the two paragraphs above.  Erin and Dexter have flamed out rather spectacularly after such a promising launch, at the same time that they seem to have become good buddies.  They don't seem to be good for each other!  Overconfidence, poor behavior, ignoring Tim!  Never works out well!

And then there's Rik, who has been gaining steadily, taking advice, and as far as we know being a lovely human being.  I'm in his rooting section now.  

• Love 9

I'm not gonna lie, I did indeed tear up a few times. Overall, a decent episode, and a complete shock because for the first time in yonks, I not only agreed with the judges on points, we were even saying the same things!

Nathalia: Not to start a large debate here, but did she really say that Jesus was "resuscitated" like Cornelius? Not resurrected? That outfit was bad. Bad color scheme, bad fit (the poor woman was swimming in it), and she lied about leaving the pin in "accidentally". I was glad she got called on that. I would have been fine with her going home but I was ok with her getting knocked down a few pegs. She needed it.

Erin: NOTHING sexy OR modest about that outfit. The pieces did not match, I'm over her coats with the potholder pockets. The dress was a knockoff mother of the bride. Her and Jenni both designed more for themselves than their mothers, especially evidenced by E's shit show of an outfit in workroom. That made me gasp aloud. I should not say this but I am going to anyhow. Every time I see her, I want to hold her down and give her a good scrub and a darker dye job. You can hate me, but it's true.

Rik: Loved it all the way, though I agree the heart could have been a scooch smaller. But overall it is my favorite outfit in a long time. So good for him. Off topic those mariachi (?) hearts with the dashes he put on there, someone in seasons past had those exact tattoos on their arms. Any takers? Helen, or Korinna?

Jenni: Well deserved aufing. She's been circling the drain for weeks. It was time to go and there was no excusing that mess. She looked like a frumpy rapper. Even my SON (the gherkin is eight) took one look and said "those look like boy pants, something I could wear. What's wrong with the middle (he meant the crotch)?". No more laugh, bye now.

Laurence: I have almost nothing for her, just that it was nice, professional, and boring.

Dexter: I actually would have liked to have seen that on a closer look, though I think the back was a little much. As is he.

Cornelius: Not bad, the print was ok. Not a strong comeback from a TGS though.

Roberi: I didn't like it at first, but the more I looked, the more I liked it, especially the bottom. Very well made, I could see it as a mass market item as well. And his friend was delightful.

Mah-Jing: I am glad to seeing him make a push out of the middle, but I overall was not a fan of the jacket. He did what was asked well but maybe it didn't translate to TV well, I thought it needed if not color, maybe different textures? I'm not sure. I did find his mom a bit off putting, if that is how she is IRL and he seems very emotional it is no wonder they have a distant relationship. That is how some people are though. I like him overall and I hope this is a sign of things to come.

I do agree that the judges were a bit harsh here and there, but they ALWAYS tone it down and are more respectful on family/friends/real people challenges. You could see skid marks on their tongues from trying to hold back on Jenni and Nathalia especially. Any other week they would have unloaded.

On that note, since this week went well, get ready for next week. It's probably going to be controversial!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Oh well, if she continues to designing ugly lacy dresses and cocoon coats, she probably won't be around for too much longer

Do you have a feeling that all of Erin's mood boards contain pictures of caterpillars, grandmas, and signs that say "I hate Utah"?

I now have to go and resuscitate Jesus.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, Canada said:

OMG, I forgot about Nathalia and her 'Jesus was resuscitated' comment!  What a dumbass!!

Translations of resurrect: verb resucitar: resurrect, revive, resuscitate, quicken

Nathalia speaks at least two languages.  "Resuscitate" in Spanish can mean the same as "resurrect."   I'm more of a dumbass because I speak only English.

• Love 12
On 11/10/2016 at 9:52 PM, dbell1 said:

AARP? Why would they sponsor a challenge with all the "matronly" shade these judges have been throwing?

Of the top 3, loved Mah Jing's the best, but would have been fine with any getting the win.

My guess? To show that, just because a woman is over 50, she can still be fashionable and cool. I'm 52, and I do not dress matronly. I dress young without looking ridiculously like someone desperately clinging to her high school years. My daily wear is jeans, T-shirts/tunic shirts/sweaters, and my usual footwear is either boots, sneakers, Converse All Stars, or Vans. If I'm going someplace nice, I wear clothes that lean more toward rock and roll, but I'm a punk from way back. That style suits me and my personality, and I can pull it off. That said, I like to think I know which looks I cannot pull off, even if I like them and wish I could. This is exactly why Mah Jing's mom completely rocked that look. I don't know that I could.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 9
Just now, whimsey98 said:

Good research.  I feel better informed. But I still think Roberi said it first.  Still think neither of them is dumb.

I completely agree...I was struck by the name-calling of Natalia (dumbass...somehow worse than merely "dumb"), and I'm not even a fan. 

• Love 1

In English, resurrect and resuscitate mean two very different things.  As an English-speaking person watching an English language TV show, I don't particularly care what words mean in Spanish.  Nathalia is obviously an English-speaking person, so my dumbass comment stands.

• Love 4

I loved Ric's.

Am I the only one who detected some animosity between Jenni and her mom?  She didn't smile when her mom walked in, and every talking head was something disparaging about the whole thing.  I think whatever bad blood was there, it affected the process and the outcome. 

I didn't like Mah Jing's outfit at all, and his mom looked uncomfortable in it.  The judges always seem to go a bit easy on him.  I vaguely remember from the audition show, he said that the producers pursued him and asked him to audition.  Maybe that's common, I don't know. 

I was okay with any of the bottom 3 leaving, but I would've auf'd Erin based on how godawful ugly that dress was, and her lack of taste and creativity.   I just hope Nathalia goes next week because her voice grates on me.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, alrightythen said:

Am I the only one who detected some animosity between Jenni and her mom?  She didn't smile when her mom walked in, and every talking head was something disparaging about the whole thing.  I think whatever bad blood was there, it affected the process and the outcome. 

I sensed it as well.  Ma Jing might be distant with his mom, but Jenni simply did not like hers.  When her mom was naming all the cool things she would be doing, Jenni just sighed and said her mom was no help, when she gave her a ton of stuff to choose from.

I think those ugly pants was a passive aggressive dis to her mom.  She will probably now blame her mom for getting kicked off of Project Runway.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I think Erin's problem is the judges fed her ego so much during the early weeks, that now she thinks she can do no wrong.  Her early stuff was weird and ugly, too, but the panel bought into it for some reason.   Once Nina finally gives her ominous 'I question her taste level' verdict, Erin will be toast.

I think they bought into it at first because it was weird and ugly, but looked different and at least brightly colored. They seem to be realizing now that it might be different from everyone else's but it's exactly like everything else she's done. She seems to have limited looks. And while it's good that people know an outfit is your design, it shouldn't be because it's exactly the same as the rest of your designs just in a different color.

I was in Dress Barn today and saw a sweater in much the same design as Erin's dress -- except that the sweater was at least gray with black lace. I thought it was still ugly, but it was better than that pastel lace and dress Erin made.

Church wedding shower decorations -- that's what that lace would be used for.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 3

I loved Rik's ensemble! His mom was darling and I also thought she had the back story that fit the challenge to a T, embarking on a new journey or whatever. Working on her bachelor's degree at 50+ after taking the time to raise her kids seemed like the perfect story that AARP wanted for this challenge. Not to mention how great Rik did with her outfit. 

Which brings me to Jenni's mom... a great workout outfit was one of her options? Sheesh! No wonder her outfit was hideous. A definite deserved Auf in my opinion.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Mah-Jing's mother is a warrior and he dressed her like one.  Good job.

So much so that I thought she was supposed to be a Klingon, and was only missing the bat'leth.  I didn't get the love for that outfit.

I am an AARP member, and I seriously doubt that woman representing AARP is old enough to join.  So much for the fight against age discrimination.  And then instead of choosing AARP members as clients, meaning they'd all have to be over 50, they pick family members and friends, some of whom are clearly in their 20s.  I always like the real woman challenge--and for once no one dared complain about the non-size 0s--but the connection between AARP and the stated objective was tenuous at best.  Marginally better than the Red Robin challenge, perhaps.

I thought they might switch up as in season 3, but as someone pointed out upthread, perhaps enough blood was shed at that time.  But it would have made it more interesting.  I didn't think any 'real woman' clients actually got to keep the clothes, so I've never understood why any of them have bothered to argue with the designer.  And certainly not when it's your family member and you're both up for a big prize.  Just let the sewtestant make whatever they want.

Did anyone think for a second how unfair it seemed that these women were walking once, for a shot at $25K, against all the years PR never paid the models except the winner at the very end, and some of those models were eliminated for challenges they didn't even compete in? 

• Love 6

Leeann Marshall and her wave collection, Laura Bennett and that grey velvet evening dress with hand-sewn sparkles with the wide, cinch belt, and of course, Christian Siriano. All three remain my favorites, all three made clothes that I would be happy to wear today. 

That said, when I heard Erin brush off Tim's advice, i figured her for a goner. She could have taken that coat, and recut it into a suit...jacket and skirt...and done something interesting with the blue material if she was so wedded to it..but that blue was weak against so much oatmeal material. But still, she could have made the effort. But, no, she knows best.

Dexter is also too sure he know better than Tim...again with the knit with stuff woven into it. That is not design, that's a craft project.

Mah-Jing did something interesting, at least, Corni's still looked like a home ec project, freshman year, Nathalia has no idea how to fit clothes or use proportion to make her mom look good, let alone finish her seams, and Jenni does not have a clue about fitting pants...the rear end was lost in a mess of fabric, the length too short, the fabric not suitable for trousers, and the long white T shirt borrowed from Roberti's winning look last week. I know 12 year olds who can put together a better look from old clothes.

Jenni deserved to go,  but so did Erin, Dexter and Nathalia. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, avecsans said:

AARP challenge?  Really?  Project Runway is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with sponsors.

To me Red Robin Burgers was worse.  And AARP was willing to kick in some serious cash.

9 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

Finally, I'm a little confused by Tara's blurb about Roberi's dress looking as good on a 20-something (with curves) as on his mother - his model was his (probably 20-something) friend, with curves. Not his mother. Couldn't tell if she meant Rik's?

I was thrown by this too.  Don't know how old Roberi's friend is but I'd be surprised if she were over fifty.  And he made her a great dress BTW.

8 hours ago, njbchlover said:
13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was hoping that someone would ask Mah-Jing about his mom's earrings, which looked like little portraits of her in wire.  I loved them.

Felt bad for him, though.  She couldn't even seem to bring herself to reach up and wipe away one of his tears.  I'm a pretty stoic person myself, but it was hard to watch him being so raw and getting so very little in return.

I agree - Mah-Jing mentioned in a talking head that he and his Mom weren't that close, and that he didn't see her too much.  I think that all the man wanted at that point, was a hug from his Mom.  While I appreciate what she has accomplished, I felt she was a cold person - not just to him, but to everyone.  She barely smiled when the judges were praising her, Mah-Jing, his work.  I'm not knocking her, as I realize that is just some people's personality, but I felt badly for him.

She's kind of known even as a performer for her anti-dramatic presentation so I think part of it is just her personality.  I don't know much (translation: nothing)  about her personal life but I do know it can be hard to be both a parent and an artist, esp. a performing artist who tours.  Loved that she took a pass on the JustFab earring wall and wore her own - those earrings and her general tude really helped out the outfit, which I thought was just OK otherwise - I would have made it safe.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

That said, when I heard Erin brush off Tim's advice, i figured her for a goner. She could have taken that coat, and recut it into a suit...jacket and skirt...

And pants.  And enough left over for a matching teddy bear (easily made from the pocket fabric).  There was a lot of really ugly fabric there.

• Love 4

Like, Erin thinks she like, has it all figured out, instead of  like, paying attention to like, Tim Gunn's advice. She is like, so sure of like, herself, but like, she ain't that good. Her talking head appearances, like, make me, like, cringe. 

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 18

I think Erin got her obnoxious special snowflake attitude right from mom, who glared at Tim with a look that could have cut ice when he criticized her daughter's truly awful mess.  Not a fan of Erin's anyway, but this was in a category of hideousity all by itself - ugh, that baby blue and horrible lace made me queasy and the coat was, well, the same old coat.   Erin needs to go away and get an attitude adjustment.  I wasn't crazy about Mah-Jing's outfit, but it really was perfect for his mom.  Loved both Rick and Roberi's outfits.   Bye Jenni, you won't be missed.

• Love 14

I noticed Cornelius had that sneery look again while criticizing in his talking heads. While we're at it his outfit was disgusting too.

When Heidi said Erin was safe I was yelling at the TV.  Are you kidding me?  That dress was ridiculous.  I kept hearing Michael Kors in my head saying it was "fartsy".

I used to like Laurance but I'm sick of her same old same old now.  I am definitely rooting for Rik or Roberi for the win.  I like both of them.  I was so happy when Rik won last night.

As soon as they mothers came in I was praying they didn't switch things up like they've done before.

I cannot believe Mah-Jing's outfit was in the top.  It seemed to be ill fitting to me and definitely looked like a Game of Thrones outfit...or a trash bag... either one.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Erin, Erin, Erin.  Stop using Utah as an excuse.

I'm not Mormon; the closest I've ever been is seeing The Book of Mormon on Broadway.  But even I know that Mormon women have cooler clothing options than Erin's old tablecloth/drab fleece combo on Shabby Apple.  She seriously bugs with her lame ass Utah/Mormonism "sob story".

ITA about the general decline in quality of contestants on PR.  There used to be at least one designer that, had I the body for it, I'd want to wear.  It hasn't been that way in a long time.  Top Chef has been around nearly as long as PR, and there's always a contestant that I'd want to try their food.  But this lot, eh, either it's something easily obtainable (like a leather jacket) or just blah, boring, or unnecessarily weird.

• Love 3

I didn't hate Erin's. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. She definitely needs an attitude adjustment though.

Cornelius should have been on the bottom. Ugly fabric. Ugly colors. Ill-fitting. Not the least little bit flattering.

adored Rik's, and his mom looked so adorable in it. I didn't mind the heart. With the jacket on, you wouldn't even see it. With the jacket off, it would add a little detail and interest to the dress. And with the temps we've been having in LA lately, she'll probably want to wear it without the jacket. :-(

Nathalia is the one who brought up Jesus. Roberri just mentioned the resuscitation. Nathalia made one of the worst outfits I've seen on PR in years. It was clownish and sad. And ugly to the max. She was lucky Jenni made the ugliest outfit I've seen in years on PR. Her mom looked freakish, like a modern day version of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" Not just mutton dressed as lamb; matron dressed as demented toddler. The fabric on the pants was bad enough, but the fit was tragic. And that's compared to Nathalia's!

I kinda liked Dexter's, and I definitely liked Roberri's. Without the pink piping on the top, it wouldn't have worked but I think it did. Laurence's was booooooring. Don't really remember any of the others. Ho hum.

• Love 3

Rik: Love him and his designs!  So glad that he won.  That outfit was perfectly designed and made.  It suited him mom beautifully.

Agree so much!  The deep love between Rik and his Mom was so sweet and made me miss my son so much  (he is in the military).

Agree with everyone that Erin's look was horrendous.  If she had done a slim pearl grey high necked sheath dress under that coat, I think it would have looked chic.  I think she was too influenced by conservative Utah Mormon wear, if there is such a thing.  Also the way she styled her mother was awful.  Her mother is attractive.  It's as if Erin was deliberately trying to make her look bad.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

I'm not Mormon; the closest I've ever been is seeing The Book of Mormon on Broadway.  But even I know that Mormon women have cooler clothing options than Erin's old tablecloth/drab fleece combo on Shabby Apple.  She seriously bugs with her lame ass Utah/Mormonism "sob story".

===============

Here in AZ, we have lots of Mormons.  They tend to dress a bit in the "earth mother" style, but I've never seen anything this ugly on a Mormon.  I'm tempted to make a snide remark about the higher likelihood of seeing it on old women of a different denomination, but I won't name names.

• Love 2