Type keyword(s) to search

Quotes: Word Salad, Eating Crow, and Other PoliticoTalk

If it's political and quotable, here's the place to post it!

In the case of Mr. Trump it may occasionally be a real challenge to document what's actually being said (that's why I referred to "Word Salad" in the title), but go for it!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

If it's political and quotable, here's the place to post it!

In the case of Mr. Trump it may occasionally be a real challenge to document what's actually being said (that's why I referred to "Word Salad" in the title), but go for it!

"Word Salad" indeed, I cant even figure out what he is talking about!  He just throws phrases out there "Make America Great",  everything is "great", "the best", "Bigly"...etc

• Love 4

I'd call this "worst of Trump" but it's inherently impossible, because there's such a mountain of stupid shit, and sometimes just plain random words tossed together, that nobody really has the time to figure out the worst.

But here's some random stupid Trump shit:

On John McCain:

“(John McCain is) not a war hero…. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured.”

On paralyzed commentator Charles Krauthammer:

"I get called by a guy that can't buy a pair of pants, I get called names?" 

Talking about a poll showing Ben Carson was beating him in Iowa:

“How stupid are the people of Iowa?”

The infamous creepy quote about Ivanka:

“I don’t think Ivanka would do that [pose for Playboy], although she does have a very nice figure. I’ve said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her.”

Here's a typical Trump Word Salad. This is a speech he made in Dallas. Try to figure out what he's saying. It ain't easy. Thanks to the Washington Post for actually being brave enough to transcribe this. It must have given the reporter who did it a HUGE headache:

Wow. Amazing. Amazing, thank you. So exciting. Do you notice what's missing tonight? Teleprompters! [APPLAUSE] No teleprompters. We don't want teleprompters. That would be so much easier: We read a speech for 45 minutes, everybody falls asleep listening to the same old stuff, the same old lies. So much easier. So, you know, I have a little debate coming up on Wednesday. [APPLAUSE] I hear my... let's call them opponents. Can I call them opponents? We're allowed to do that, right? You know, New York was very nice to you people last night, you know that, right? [LAUGHTER] Did they hand you that game? [APPLAUSE] They handed it! I said, I am going to have the friendliest audience -- sit down -- I am going to have the friendliest audience. So I wasn't sure, was I happy or was I sad? But Jerry Jones is a great guy, and he deserves everything he gets, frankly. [APPLAUSE] And you know, another great guy is Mark Cuban. [APPLAUSE] And I think, you know, he's been talking about maybe doing this himself. And I think he'd do a great job. We don't have the exact same feelings about where we're going, but that's okay. But Mark was great. You know, he called me, like, literally a few days ago, and he said, "You know, if you want to use the arena" -- which by the way is a beautiful arena [APPLAUSE] this a great arena -- and Dirk is a fantastic player [APPLAUSE] he's just a wonderful player -- and the Mavericks have been fantastic and it's just a great team -- but he said, "You know, if you want to use the arena." And I said, "Mark, when?" He said "How 'bout Monday night?" It's like, that was like in four days. And you had a big holiday in between. And he said, "They really like you in Dallas, they really like you in Texas, maybe you can get a lot of people." [APPLAUSE] Because we were coming here, and we thought maybe we'd get a thousand people, but we never get a thousand anymore, it's always, like, the same thing. You know, we went to Alabama. We started off with a 500-person ballroom. And after about two minutes -- look at all these guys -- paparazzi, look at this [LAUGHTER] we've got everybody here. We started off, by the way, with a 500-person ballroom, and after about two minutes the hotel called up begging for mercy. "We can't do it!" They were inundated, so we went to the convention center, and that was 10,000 and that was wiped out in about an hour. So we went to a stadium, we had 31,000  people, which is by far the largest, they say, like, ever, for an early primary, and that's probably true.[APPLAUSE]

But here's the thing. That Word Salad is about inconsequential stuff. It's just rambling. Scarier are the ones where he's trying to avoid showing he knows nothing about important issues. 

What does Donald Trump say about nuclear weapons? What does he actually KNOW?  This video shows you the quote and helps explain how little he knows (and how obvious his dodges are):

• Love 7

When I think of word salad, I think of Sarah Palin.  So many Palin-isms to choose from, such as pretty much her entire speech in Iowa endorsing Donald Trump.  I love The Daily Show's take on it.  Favorite bits of Trevor Noah's commentary:

"It's like a bag of Scrabble tiles that grew a body and came to life."

"It's like the only thing she hates more than Obama is punctuation."

The last one makes me think of Newsweek's Jacob Weisberg, writing back in 2010 that Sarah Palin is like Fox News without the punctuation.  The context:

"[Sarah Palin’s] exuberant incoherence testifies to an unusually wide gulf between confidence and ability.  She is proud of what she doesn’t know and contemptuous of those ‘experts’ and ‘elitists’ who are too knowledgeable to be trusted.  The issue is not that Palin … still doesn’t know all the details.  That’s understandable.  The issue is that she rarely appears to have the slightest grasp of what she’s talking about.  … Bush-isms … often hinged on a single grammatical or factual error.  Palin-isms, by contrast, consist of a unitary stream of patriotic, populist blather.  It’s like Fox News without the punctuation.”

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

in response to Lester Holt asking :

Our institutions are under cyber attack, and our secrets are being stolen. So my question is, who's behind it? And how do we fight it?

Trump says (in part):

I do want to say that I was just endorsed -- and more are coming next week -- it will be over 200 admirals, many of them here -- admirals and generals endorsed me to lead this country. That just happened, and many more are coming. And I'm very proud of it.

In addition, I was just endorsed by ICE. They've never endorsed anybody before on immigration. I was just endorsed by ICE. I was just recently endorsed -- 16,500 Border Patrol agents.

So when Secretary Clinton talks about this, I mean, I'll take the admirals and I'll take the generals any day over the political hacks that I see that have led our country so brilliantly over the last 10 years with their knowledge. OK? Because look at the mess that we're in. Look at the mess that we're in

As far as the cyber, I agree to parts of what Secretary Clinton said. We should be better than anybody else, and perhaps we're not. I don't think anybody knows it was Russia that broke into the DNC. She's saying Russia, Russia, Russia, but I don't -- maybe it was. I mean, it could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK?...................................................................................

We came in with the Internet, we came up with the Internet, and I think Secretary Clinton and myself would agree very much, when you look at what ISIS is doing with the Internet, they're beating us at our own game. ISIS.

So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is -- it is a huge problem. I have a son. He's 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe it's hardly doable.

But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing. But that's true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester, and certainly cyber is one of them.

he has the ability to say a bunch of words without actually saying anything. 

• Love 6

It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK?...................................................................................

When I heard this all I could think is "Wow, that's a pretty heavy bed."

• Love 9
4 hours ago, backformore said:

in response to Lester Holt asking :

Trump says (in part):

he has the ability to say a bunch of words without actually saying anything. 

Ah yes.   The now infamous 'Cyber'  answer.  

• Love 2

Some real gems from Drumpf:

"I love the poorly educated!" [No shit, Sherlock!]

"Look at my African American over there!" [Um...the 13th Amendment actually abolished slavery]

"I alone can fix it." [Bullshit--you can't even fix your hair]

"I will build a wall." [With what?  Cheap Chinese steel?]

A gem from Bernie Sanders:

"The American people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn emails!" [Tell that to Wikileaks]

A gem from Hillary:

"To just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the 'basket of deplorables.  The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, you name it. And unfortunately, there are people like that, and he has lifted them up." [Was she lying?]

A doozy from Marco Rubio:

"Let’s dispel with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing.” [He believed it so much that he repeated the same attack line 4 times]

• Love 10

Trump sure talks a lot for a man who doesn't say anything.

Although, if you remove all the adjectives and anything that was said more than once, his speeches aren't that long. If you also take out the exaggerations and lies, there is no speech left, just a few random sentences.

Wow. Amazing. Amazing, thank you. So exciting. Do you notice what's missing tonight? Teleprompters! [APPLAUSE] No teleprompters. We don't want teleprompters. That would be so much easier: We read a speech for 45 minutes, everybody falls asleep listening to the same old stuff, the same old lies. So much easier. So, you know, I have a little debate coming up on Wednesday. [APPLAUSE] I hear my... let's call them opponents. Can I call them opponents? We're allowed to do that, right? You know, New York was very nice to you people last night, you know that, right? [LAUGHTER] Did they hand you that game? [APPLAUSE] They handed it! I said, I am going to have the friendliest audience -- sit down -- I am going to have the friendliest audience. So I wasn't sure, was I happy or was I sad? But Jerry Jones is a great guy, and he deserves everything he gets, frankly. [APPLAUSE] And you know, another great guy is Mark Cuban. [APPLAUSE] And I think, you know, he's been talking about maybe doing this himself. And I think he'd do a great job. We don't have the exact same feelings about where we're going, but that's okay. But Mark was great. You know, he called me, like, literally a few days ago, and he said, "You know, if you want to use the arena" -- which by the way is a beautiful arena [APPLAUSE] this a great arena -- and Dirk is a fantastic player [APPLAUSE] he's just a wonderful player -- and the Mavericks have been fantastic and it's just a great team -- but he said, "You know, if you want to use the arena." And I said, "Mark, when?" He said "How 'bout Monday night?" It's like, that was like in four days. And you had a big holiday in between. And he said, "They really like you in Dallas, they really like you in Texas, maybe you can get a lot of people." [APPLAUSE] Because we were coming here, and we thought maybe we'd get a thousand people, but we never get a thousand anymore, it's always, like, the same thing. You know, we went to Alabama. We started off with a 500-person ballroom. And after about two minutes -- look at all these guys -- paparazzi, look at this [LAUGHTER] we've got everybody here. We started off, by the way, with a 500-person ballroom, and after about two minutes the hotel called up begging for mercy. "We can't do it!" They were inundated, so we went to the convention center, and that was 10,000 and that was wiped out in about an hour. So we went to a stadium, we had 31,000  people, which is by far the largest, they say, like, ever, for an early primary, and that's probably true.[APPLAUSE]

I managed to read this.  There is no campaigning going on here, it is just typical Trump name-dropping and bragging about all the people who come to his rallies.  To me, it has the style of a bad comic performing in an airport lounge. 

However, I am thinking he no longer thinks Mark Cuban is "another great guy" - just like he no longer thinks teleprompters are a bad thing.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 3

To me, the word salad proves that Drumpf is mentally incompetent, and may not even realize all the time that he's running for POTUS, and isn't on The Apprentice instead.   He's a person who has been coddled for his entire life, and doesn't seem to know anything about our government except whatever the last person to brief him tells him, and that information may be inaccurate.   Then someone shouts out a talking point to him.  He talks about that for a little while, and then goes back to word salad, until someone shouts out another talking point.

Edited by atomationage
nuts is not nice
  • Love 5

From the Tempting Fate department - Obama taunting Trump on Kimmel's "Mean Tweets", responding to Trump calling him the worst president ever: "Well...at least I will go down as a president!" (does the "I just schooled you" microphone drop with the PDA).