Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Last Days of Books

That "cradle" bit between Liza & Diana might be the sweetest moment on this show so far.  Just loved it.

And I was glad to see Liza with her "old world" friends, there at the end.  Makes me feel like she's starting to reconcile those worlds.  

• Love 3

I like that Maggie told Lauren to stop trying to be so interesting. Lauren is exhausting, and that aspect doesn't help.

The VR stuff totally cracked me up.

Bryce hitting on Kelsey was sort of sweet, in its own way. I'm glad she wasn't offended by it. I'm also glad she turned him down.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the episode.  I do get a little tired of how it feels like Liza is always on the verge of being discovered, only to be saved at the last minute.  I also feel like them pulling their plans for the bookstore at the literal last minute would bring on such a huge wave of bad publicity that they would end up still having to give the check, even without getting the credit. 

• Love 5

It rubbed me the wrong way that Liza said something like "I would have to get used to losing it anyway" when the rich tech guy didn't give the bookstore the check. If that check would have covered the store's rent for 5 years it seems selfish for Liza just to blow it off so she wouldn't be discovered.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I enjoyed the episode.  I do get a little tired of how it feels like Liza is always on the verge of being discovered, only to be saved at the last minute.  I also feel like them pulling their plans for the bookstore at the literal last minute would bring on such a huge wave of bad publicity that they would end up still having to give the check, even without getting the credit. 

I agree, and I was thinking the same thing! (About the terrible publicity for backing out at the last minute.) 

I can't help being a little more impatient with the show's central conceit than I was for the first two seasons, almost entirely because the end of last season was the exact perfect moment to tell the truth. How do you get a better moment than not currently working at the company, not being 100% sure you should return, and having the company decide they valued you so much that your boss's boss tracks you down in New Jersey and begs you to return? If her plan was actually to come clean once she'd established her value, that was the perfect moment.  

Sorry, I know that rant belongs in the episode thread for last season's finale, but it's really lowered my tolerance for Liza's age drama this season. 

• Love 3
On 10/13/2016 at 8:52 AM, dubbel zout said:

I like that Maggie told Lauren to stop trying to be so interesting. Lauren is exhausting, and that aspect doesn't help.

I totally agree!  Lauren has bugged me from the beginning and I'm glad she was called out on her need to not be "basic".

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Anisky said:

I can't help being a little more impatient with the show's central conceit than I was for the first two seasons, almost entirely because the end of last season was the exact perfect moment to tell the truth.

I know. The show won't collapse if Liza tells the truth about her age, and the longer the lie goes on, the more ridiculous the machinations to keep it will be.

• Love 4

I really wish they'd let Liza open up and let a few more in on her secret. Chances are her friends back home would help her as would her friends in the city. She can keep it from her boss. 

I honestly don't understand how her friends back home aren't annoyed that she pretty much dropped them after years and years of friendship. 

• Love 3
On 10/13/2016 at 5:52 AM, dubbel zout said:

The VR stuff totally cracked me up.

Bryce hitting on Kelsey was sort of sweet, in its own way. I'm glad she wasn't offended by it. I'm also glad she turned him down.

What is "VR stuff"?

I thought it was an interesting episode with a scary title.  I liked the Virtual Reality scene the best.,  Not enough Diana, but it looks like she might be in next week's episode more.  I hope Bryce goes away soon.  They managed to get everyone into the episode, so maybe that's why it seemed a little disjointed.,

• Love 1
On 10/13/2016 at 5:52 AM, dubbel zout said:

I loved the first thing and liked the second thing. I appreciate that Lauren is fiercely loyal to Kelsey, but her need to be a special snowflake drives me crazy. It's okay to like things that other people know about so stop trying so hard to be obscure and unique because every group that thinks they're so different actually ends up being as conformist within their own group as mainstream people. It reminds me of the kids who thought they were so different because they bought their goth stuff at Hot Topic. Sure, you look different from the kids who bought their clothes at Wet Seal or the Gap, but they still looked the same as the other emo kids.

I know that the most appealing thing about Bryce was that he didn't run scared just because he knew that Thad had died recently. I'm glad that Kelsey wasn't interested in Bryce, but I'm also glad that she was able to see that not every guy is going to freak out after learning she has a dead fiance.

Hee, I loved Liza cradling Diana per her instructions. I cracked up at the way Bryce's publicist pronounced Diana's name.

I can't believe that Liza thought she could broker this solution to have Bryce donate money to save her hometown bookshop and not have her worlds collide. THINK, Liza!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I can't believe that Liza thought she could broker this solution to have Bryce donate money to save her hometown bookshop and not have her worlds collide. THINK, Liza!

That was SO dumb. I know she thought she could get out of the ceremony by "holding down the fort," but of course Charles would want her there, given that it was her idea. He's a good boss (aside from wanting to date a subordinate).

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It reminds me of the kids who thought they were so different because they bought their goth stuff at Hot Topic. Sure, you look different from the kids who bought their clothes at Wet Seal or the Gap, but they still looked the same as the other emo kids.

This reminds me of when I went to a punk bar in the East Village in NYC, and I was dressed like a total prep. Who was the real rebel? Hee.

• Love 5

I'm glad this show is back. I didn't watch the premiere (I got busy) but I ended up watching the first 3 episodes in one night. It's a great show for binge watching because it's so light and short (when you can fast forward the commercials). I feel like Josh has been pushed to the side a lot so far so it'll be interesting to have him be more involved again. We were getting a lot of Charles but it's not as fun as it's been in previous seasons when there was more palpable chemistry. He's handsome though, so there's that. I'm surprised Diana hasn't been more jealous. 

I recognized the doctor/camp friend Lauren slept with. He's a theatre actor. I think he's currently in Fiddler on the Roof. So that made me happy.

Overall, this show makes me smile more than it makes me laugh but I do enjoy it. Also, in general I think the fashion has been better and less crazy. Still fashionable but not the bonkers faux SATC stuff from the last two seasons. 

I'm already over the young guy. I forget his name, the parody of young tech entrepreneurs/people with autism. It's unnecessary and so borderline offensive most of the time. I feel like the show hasn't figured out if it's for millenials or older people who dislike millenials.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who actually liked Maggie and Lauren together? Lauren is extra af, bit she's a good friend and I think the actress is hitting it out of the park. 

Love Diana and want her to get a love interest stat! The dried up, tough as nails, single, childless career schtick has run its course for me. And can it be with Charles cause I'm team Liza and Josh all day and I don't like this distraction lol.

Edited by Negritude
  • Love 4
On 10/18/2016 at 4:18 PM, aradia22 said:

I'm glad this show is back. I didn't watch the premiere (I got busy) but I ended up watching the first 3 episodes in one night. It's a great show for binge watching because it's so light and short (when you can fast forward the commercials). I feel like Josh has been pushed to the side a lot so far so it'll be interesting to have him be more involved again.

I agree with the show being very watchable. I'm not sure I enjoy Josh so much, though. They had him sit in a car and wait for his 40 year old girlfriend while she went and had drinks with her friends. I hope they start writing him with a bit more realism. He's just a little too accommodating right now.