Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Homecoming

Jess and the gang head to New York, where Schmidt believes he is being honored at his high school. Jess meets Det. Jake Peralta and helps him on a case, which leads her to Brooklyn's 99th Precinct and a fateful encounter with Gina Linetti and Capt. Raymond Holt. Meanwhile, Nick and Winston scramble to make subway fare, while trying to impress Det. Charles Boyle, and Cece faces off with her new mother-in-law.

Nope, it was exactly as bad as you'd expect. They hit every NYC cliche and Jewish stereotype, all in a nonsensical half hour package. 

I didn't catch it - did they explain why Winston and Nick were acting as if they were of means? Seemed like a really drawn out way to justify them being stuck in the subway.

Oh, and Brooklyn 99 were there. Sort of. 

• Love 2

It's interesting that this show spent more time in the Brooklyn 99 world than that show did with the New Girl characters. I'm not sure what that means (if anything) in terms of trying to lure viewers of one show to the other.

Anyway, the whole premise with Schmidt being honored, only to find out it was just a fund raiser, felt really flimsy. But the part with Jake and Winston scamming for money at the subway was kind of amusing.

• Love 3

Funny how the B99 had a pretty big presence on NG, while Jess just had a cameo on B99. 

You know what I kept thinking about all episode? How much I miss the Kosher Deli in Indianapolis, where I used to live. It was delicious and a bit like the one in this episode, but people were a bit more patient. I just moved across the country, and I cant find a Kosher deli anywhere, and it makes me sad. 

Oh yeah, there was an episode too. Captain Holt was the best part, of course. I laughed a few times, like I usually do, but it was mostly just a thing that happened. 

16 hours ago, ae2 said:

I didn't catch it - did they explain why Winston and Nick were acting as if they were of means? Seemed like a really drawn out way to justify them being stuck in the subway.

They did it for the same reason that Winston and Nick do pretty much anything like that: because they're kind of idiots. The cringe was pretty strong with the Nick/Winston stuff for me. I watched it on Hulu and paused often. 

I also asked myself why a Brooklyn cop would be working a case on Long Island. I mean, I'm not from New York, but I do know that they're fairly far apart, and even where I live, there might be some jurisdictional rigmarole there, right? (Yes, I know I'm overthinking it. Trust me, it's just what I do.)

I thought this was pretty abysmal... appreciated Captain Holt et al., but the main storylines were cringeworthy. I kind of get what they were going for when they turned what Schmidt thought would be a "Gotcha!" revenge moment into more humiliation, but it wasn't fun to watch and just kept getting more and more uncomfortable. Same with the subway busking.

After the scene in the deli with Jess getting ignored, pushed around, and glared at, I turned to Mr. Thog and said "That's pretty much how I experience life; no wonder I'm an introvert."

• Love 1

The best part was definitely Coach showing up at the end, saying the only reason he wasn't pissed was because he'd been to LA five times without calling them. "I got other friends."

Otherwise, a forgettable episode.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Risky Librarian said:

I also asked myself why a Brooklyn cop would be working a case on Long Island. I mean, I'm not from New York, but I do know that they're fairly far apart, and even where I live, there might be some jurisdictional rigmarole there, right? (Yes, I know I'm overthinking it. Trust me, it's just what I do.)

I thought they were implying Jess went to Brooklyn for soup.

9 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I thought they were implying Jess went to Brooklyn for soup.

I thought that too, but that's a really long drive according to my NY-based friend. There's no good kosher within a reasonable drive on Long Island? Really? (Yup; STILL overthinking it. >.<)

Yeah, it's definitely an excessive drive. And for the secondary choice to work (Ling's Palace?) which  Schmidt's mom also referenced and Holt had for lunch, that was implied also to be in Brooklyn, which makes it worse because I think his mom mentioned ordering in from there instead of going to the deli. So in that first scene it made sense that Jess might be schlepping to his favourite kosher deli, instead of getting something local.

But then later, based on the background when she was supposedly driving near the restaurant, she was so not on Long Island. So unless we've previously been told Holt lives on Long Island (which I do not think he does), it doesn't make sense for that joke at the end with him already having food from the other restaurant. So both are probably in Brooklyn. But they sacrificed logic for the joke, which is unsurprising in a network-forced-crossover anyway.

Edited by theatremouse
21 hours ago, Ikki said:

The best part was definitely Coach showing up at the end, saying the only reason he wasn't pissed was because he'd been to LA five times without calling them. "I got other friends."

This was so relatable. I go to Austin all the time and tell no one I'm in town. One weekend is not enough time for a full-on reunion, so I secretly tell one or two friends when I'm there, and rotate the friends group next time.

• Love 1

The deli scene was unnerving.

1) Great Neck isn't exactly crawling with Chasidic Jews. It's mostly rich Sephardic doctors. You don't find all those brimmed hats and sidecurls.

2) Cream cheese in a kosher deli? Really?

3) The lady with the kid saying "dont' talk to me" to Jess? Um... No. Way to make religious Jews sound like rude snappy people. I'm not happy.

4) Number 46 saying "Welcome to new York?" How do they know she's from out of town?

5) Why are there yellow cabs in Long Island? And why do the streets look like New York City? 

I don't think there was more Brooklyn 99 than New Girl. The whoel first half of the show was New Girl only.

Um, why would a policeman need to stop a stranger and ask for her vehicle?

"Just go to the 99th precinct"? Long Island to Brooklyn can be an hour or more commute. Unles this deli was in Manhattan....

The reason for the crossover was very flimsy. The episode felt super weird.

Captain Holt was the only good thing about this episode. I can never have enough Raymond Holt. But I did miss Amy.

Ooooh that cameo at the end was amazing!

(How did the guys get the limo btw?)

48 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

(How did the guys get the limo btw?)

I think they rented it from the large wad of cash they got from the little boy and his father in the subway. After Nick did that doofy stunt, the kid and his dad were pretty excited about it and the little boy took basically all of his father's cash from his wallet and put it in their cup.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

The deli scene was unnerving.

1) Great Neck isn't exactly crawling with Chasidic Jews. It's mostly rich Sephardic doctors. You don't find all those brimmed hats and sidecurls.

2) Cream cheese in a kosher deli? Really?

5) Why are there yellow cabs in Long Island? And why do the streets look like New York City? 

I don't think there was more Brooklyn 99 than New Girl. The whoel first half of the show was New Girl only.

"Just go to the 99th precinct"? Long Island to Brooklyn can be an hour or more commute. Unles this deli was in Manhattan....

To me, it was strongly implied all of the above occurred in Brooklyn. And there's been cream cheese in every kosher deli I've ever been to. Just not in the same case as meat.

Edited by theatremouse

I guess what the show calls  a "deli" is what we call in brooklyn a... supermarket? :D I thought a deli was a fast food sandwich place.

So Schmidt's mom lives in brooklyn? or she lives in great neck and jess shlepped an hour away to get him some soup?