Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Everina said:

This is the universe telling them not to do this reboot.  But, they won't listen, because money.

Except it seems like, except in Kim Cattrall's case, these are TPTB decisions rather than actor decisions. SJP wants to move on from Carrie/Big, and the Miranda/Steve pairing has attracted a lot of criticism over the years that I'm sure the show is well aware of. They need at least one single woman for the reboot and two would be better, so here we are.

• Love 1

She wants us to move on from Carrie/Big when she and TPTB made us endure six seasons and 2 movies about them? If they wanted to move on from Carrie/Big then they shouldn’t have had them get together in the series finale. Ending the series with Carrie single but still satisfied and happy with her life, even though her best friends were all married or in a long term relationship? Now that would have been a much braver ending to the series.

I’d also say Miranda and Steve have just as many fans as they do detractors...if they wanted us to move on from that couple as well, they should have just had them divorce in the first movie or just not have them reunite and get married in the final season of the show to begin with.

• Love 7

I wasn't talking specifically about the actors.  I was talking about anyone involved who wants to bring this show back.

I'm another one who doesn't see the point in bringing it back if two out of the three women are single again, because we've done that, already.  What's the point?  Seems tired and redundant, to me.

Edited by Everina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't think there's anything wrong with unmarried women being portrayed in popular culture.  The author of Sex and the City, Candace Bushnell, is still writing books about being single and dating at her age, and I think that's great.

They should ask Candace to consult on the new series but at the same time I wonder if SJP's ego is too big to do that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
On 2/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with unmarried women being portrayed in popular culture.  The author of Sex and the City, Candace Bushnell, is still writing books about being single and dating at her age, and I think that's great.

They should ask Candace to consult on the new series but at the same time I wonder if SJP's ego is too big to do that.

If it was a show about 50 something  women dating I would be all for it.  However I'm not sure SJP wants to be seen as a 50 something dating.  I am a 50 something single woman and dating now is a lot different than dating in your 30s.  My husband died when I was 43.  Men my age and into their early 50s were not interested in women their age. They wanted younger women.  Men in their 30s were however interested in older women.  I detest the word cougar but for this show to be believable one of the women should date a younger man.   When Samantha was with Smith I don't ever remember the age difference being mentioned.  The reality of women dating in their 50s is to find someone who you are on the same level with.  Men can father children at any age.  If you are dating someone who doesn't have kids you need to make sure they don't want kids.   If you are dating someone older they might have children they are co parenting with their ex.  I have little faith the show will address any realistic issues with dating when you are older.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

If it was a show about 50 something  women dating I would be all for it.  However I'm not sure SJP wants to be seen as a 50 something dating.  I am a 50 something single woman and dating now is a lot different than dating in your 30s.  My husband died when I was 43.  Men my age and into their early 50s were not interested in women their age. They wanted younger women.  Men in their 30s were however interested in older women.  I detest the word cougar but for this show to be believable one of the women should date a younger man.   When Samantha was with Smith I don't ever remember the age difference being mentioned.  The reality of women dating in their 50s is to find someone who you are on the same level with.  Men can father children at any age.  If you are dating someone who doesn't have kids you need to make sure they don't want kids.   If you are dating someone older they might have children they are co parenting with their ex.  I have little faith the show will address any realistic issues with dating when you are older.  

I am not in my 50's, but would totally enjoy seeing 50-something women date! I am so sorry you lost your husband young. I hate that men often don't want women their own age. I even see it in my 30's, with men wanting college age girls. I think Kim Cattrall mentioned this herself, that it wasn't her going after younger men, but that they were the ones who approached her. Kids definitely affect how much age matters. I can find guys slighter younger than me extremely cute but sometimes they remind me of kids, and I think men way older than me can be quite sexy, but they've often already had kids with someone else or don't want them. A 25-year-old woman with a 35-year-old man works better if a woman wants kids, despite the fact age gaps otherwise matter less the older you get.  

• Love 5
On 2/20/2021 at 5:18 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with you. Sticking to the culture and cannon of the show/movie #1- I could 100% see Steve and Miranda divorcing after Brady is grown (If they stick with real time Brady will be 18 when this is filming), and I think it would be interesting to explore Carrie's life as a widow. She spent all these years longing for Big, being his mistress, his friend, finally his girlfriend again and then his wife....all for him to die young. Now what is she going to do? Candace Bushell is now a divorced childfree woman in her her 50s, it could be really interesting and she could have a lot of insight on writing something compelling. 

I think Miranda would be the type of mother that would enjoy having an adult child and being single again, and hitting her peak with her career, Charlotte would have teen daughters and perhaps another rescue Cavalier - I think she would be awesome facilitating dog rescues for Cavaliers especially since Elizabeth Taylor brought her so much joy when she was having trouble conceiving. I distinctly recall when Elizabeth Taylor was left in the basket on her door step, and she asked Harry "can we keep her?' and Harry said "we can keep anything that makes you smile like that."- OH I am gonna cry I am in my feelings over pets right now (new dog in my home).

• Love 9
On 2/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, ifionlyknew said:

I am very sorry you lost your husband so young, yes I think the exploration of older dating would be very interesting. Also, as you age the numbers are skewed- men really do die first, and have health problems sooner. If a man is single at 60, and in good health, with grown kids (or no kids) and a strong retirement fund there are 7 women in the same position, he has his pick in the heteronormative market place.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also, as you age the numbers are skewed- men really do die first, and have health problems sooner. If a man is single at 60, and in good health, with grown kids (or no kids) and a strong retirement fund there are 7 women in the same position, he has his pick in the heteronormative market place.

I think Miranda would have a easier time dating than Carrie.  Miranda is someone who has a career. Her kid would be out of the house.  She wouldn't be looking to settle down again (I think).  She would probably attract someone on her level.  

Carrie on the other hand I think would have a harder time.  Chances are she is probably going to be a rich widow so she would have to look out for gold diggers.  And as I said a lot of men in her age range want younger women. So does Carrie date older men or younger men?  

My husband was 14 years older than me and after he died I decided I would never date someone that much older than me again.  I am curious if they will have Carrie feel the same way.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

I think Miranda would have a easier time dating than Carrie.  Miranda is someone who has a career. Her kid would be out of the house.  She wouldn't be looking to settle down again (I think).  She would probably attract someone on her level.  

I could 100% see Miranda attracting a similarly situated man, another lawyer, college aged kids, divorced, just looking for a companion. I dont think she would want to get married again, but be with someone who had similar interests and lifestyle would appeal to her. I could see Carrie being interested in younger men just for the excitement. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

And if they want to bring an ex back, not gonna lie, I'd love to see Robert again. No more Aidan, they already went to that well twice.

OH my god.  Robert would alllllllllmost make up for not having Samantha and Big.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

OH my god.  Robert would alllllllllmost make up for not having Samantha and Big.  

Yes. I saw Blair Underwood last in the Madame C J Walker mini series on Netflix. He is still fine. Hasnt aged a day. Black dont crack!

• Love 10
12 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Carrie on the other hand I think would have a harder time.  Chances are she is probably going to be a rich widow so she would have to look out for gold diggers.  And as I said a lot of men in her age range want younger women. So does Carrie date older men or younger men?  

My husband was 14 years older than me and after he died I decided I would never date someone that much older than me again.  I am curious if they will have Carrie feel the same way.

I totally see Miranda as someone who'd just want a companion. 

I'm also curious about the kind of men Carrie would date. Would they still have NYC's most eligible bachelors all over Carrie Bradshaw in her 50's? As much as I detest the fact as a female myself, it's true a lot of men her age, especially attractive and successful ones, want that younger arm candy. The model beautiful, young "stick figure" Natasha would now be considered an old lady to many men her own age and even older. 

Aw I'm so sorry again. This is something I've thought about to be completely honest. My mother's friend also married older and was a young widow. He was a beautiful person, and she loved him dearly. I definitely believe she was blessed to have someone she loved for as long as she did, but it's still tough. It's tricky because I feel like I'm more of a catch to an older man and would worry less about him playing around preferring younger women, but I really want the person I love to be around for many years to come, especially if I decide to have kids. Chris Noth is in his 66, has a 39-year-old wife, and he became a father again just last year. I don't want to judge, but there's no way in hell I'd have a baby with a man that age. I don't care how much money he has. I want someone to grow old with and who'd be there for the kids. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Chris Noth is in his 66, has a 39-year-old wife, and he became a father again just last year. I don't want to judge, but there's no way in hell I'd have a baby with a man that age. I don't care how much money he has. I want someone to grow old with and who'd be there for the kids. 

I understand where you’re coming from, but some women doing mind the expectation of being a caregiver to their much older husband and then having their freedom in their senior years. If Chris Noth lives another 20yrs, his wife would only be 59 and free to do whatever she wanted, and their child would be a young adult. If she loved him I could 100% understand just treasuring the the time they have. And yes of course the money. 

I could see Carrie going for a younger man who maybe doesn’t want kids. If you’re a successful 40 something years old guy women in your peer group are either partnered, have young kids, or are Childfree. Dating a woman 15yrs older would mean you wouldn’t have to worry about the baby thing, or the shared custody with an ex. Of course there are childfree women in this world in their mid 30s (I am one), but we are a smaller group to choose from. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see Carrie going for a younger man who maybe doesn’t want kids. If you’re a successful 40 something years old guy women in your peer group are either partnered, have young kids, or are Childfree. Dating a woman 15yrs older would mean you wouldn’t have to worry about the baby thing, or the shared custody with an ex. Of course there are childfree women in this world in their mid 30s (I am one), but we are a smaller group to choose from. 

I was in my 40s and seeing men in their 30s and what they told me was single women their age were usually looking to get married and have kids quickly. Which I understand, biological clock and all that.  And the men I knew weren't interested in doing that at that time.  They also told me older women were more relaxed.  I can only speak for myself but I was relaxed. My son was older and out of the  house.  I had a job and was supporting myself.  I wasn't desperate for a man. If I was seeing someone fine and if I wasn't seeing someone fine.  I also didn't put my personal business on social media.  I saw plenty of people fuck up their relationships because of things posted on social media.  

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm also curious about the kind of men Carrie would date. Would they still have NYC's most eligible bachelors all over Carrie Bradshaw in her 50's? As much as I detest the fact as a female myself, it's true a lot of men her age, especially attractive and successful ones, want that younger arm candy. The model beautiful, young "stick figure" Natasha would now be considered an old lady to many men her own age and even older. 

I doubt they would do it but Carrie is at that age where a lot of husbands trade in their wives for a newer model.  It was never mentioned in the movies (as far as I can remember) but I wonder if they had a pre nup.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I was in my 40s and seeing men in their 30s and what they told me was single women their age were usually looking to get married and have kids quickly. Which I understand, biological clock and all that.  And the men I knew weren't interested in doing that at that time.  They also told me older women were more relaxed.  I can only speak for myself but I was relaxed. My son was older and out of the  house.  I had a job and was supporting myself.  I wasn't desperate for a man. If I was seeing someone fine and if I wasn't seeing someone fine.  I also didn't put my personal business on social media.  I saw plenty of people fuck up their relationships because of things posted on social media.  

Thank you for sharing your experience! That makes sense to me. Taking it back to SATC, I could see Carrie having jealousy issues if Miranda had a much easier time on the dating scene than she did. I do see Charlotte and Harry still being together and happy, I see Miranda getting a lot of attention from older men and Carrie having issues not being the desirable ingenue any more.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see Carrie having jealousy issues if Miranda had a much easier time on the dating scene than she did. I do see Charlotte and Harry still being together and happy, I see Miranda getting a lot of attention from older men and Carrie having issues not being the desirable ingenue any more.

In real life this would absolutely happen. On the revival I seriously doubt it.  Miranda never needed a man to define her. She was always going to be OK single or coupled.  Now if they have her divorced but looking for her next husband I will be so disappointed. But as mentioned above if they were to bring back Blair Underwood I would be happy.  Lots of former couples reconnect when they get older.  They run into each other at reunions or they look each other up on social media.   Charlotte and Harry better still be happily married.  They ended up being my absolute favorite couple.  If Carrie isn't with Big because of divorce or widowhood who is she?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Now if they have her divorced but looking for her next husband I will be so disappointed. But as mentioned above if they were to bring back Blair Underwood I would be happy.  Lots of former couples reconnect when they get older.  They run into each other at reunions or they look each other up on social media.

I don't think they would have Miranda looking for another husband. Her running into Robert (Blair Underwood) and getting together would be GOLDEN.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! That makes sense to me. Taking it back to SATC, I could see Carrie having jealousy issues if Miranda had a much easier time on the dating scene than she did. I do see Charlotte and Harry still being together and happy, I see Miranda getting a lot of attention from older men and Carrie having issues not being the desirable ingenue any more.

Your idea is super realistic.  Would SATC ever do it, paint Miranda in a more attractive light than Carrie? God no, I don't think so.😁  I will eat my words if they dare go there though.  😁

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Your idea is super realistic.  Would SATC ever do it, paint Miranda in a more attractive light than Carrie? God no, I don't think so.😁  I will eat my words if they dare go there though.  😁

Yeah Carrie's looks were played up, and Miranda's were played down. I get that Miranda was not into fashion and girliness, but I think a lot of people forget how naturally pretty a woman Cynthia is and how easily she dolls up. 

mirandathisone.jpg

• Love 9
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yeah Carrie's looks were played up, and Miranda's were played down. I get that Miranda was not into fashion and girliness, but I think a lot of people forget how naturally pretty a woman Cynthia is and how easily she dolls up. 

They finally let Cynthia look good at Miranda's wedding and in the SATC films.  Took long enough 🙄

I think that picture is from the episode where she wore her skinny jeans after Brady was born and finally felt hot again.  Another good episode for her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They finally let Cynthia look good at Miranda's wedding and in the SATC films.  Took long enough 🙄

I think that picture is from the episode where she wore her skinny jeans after Brady was born and finally felt hot again.  Another good episode for her.

I want to see hot Miranda and hot Robert together! 😍

• Love 6
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

mirandathisone.jpg

Yes I agree. 

• Love 7

Pat Fields had no clue what to do with Miranda. Carrie was the edgy fashionista, Samantha was the vamp in bold bright colors, Charlotte was the Park Avenue princess. Fields seemed to not know what “type” Miranda was, or how a upwardly mobile white collar type would look like, which to be honest, isn’t that hard to dress.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Pat Fields had no clue what to do with Miranda. Carrie was the edgy fashionista, Samantha was the vamp in bold bright colors, Charlotte was the Park Avenue princess. Fields seemed to not know what “type” Miranda was, or how a upwardly mobile white collar type would look like, which to be honest, isn’t that hard to dress.

No its not which is so weird. Give her lots of really nice suits (for work) with blouses, small jewelry pieces and a great purse/briefcase for her files.  For going out, dark jeans and heels, black/navy, grey, and her sweat pants and baseball hat for lounging around the house- but in the correct size!!

Style wise I love Samantha's bright colors and Charlotte's silouhettes (spelling)/hemlines- that is what I wear in my personal time, but I am a lawyer and would never wear that stuff to the office (whenever I happen to go back). For work I would wear a lot of what Miranda had but I have more color to my blouses and accessories, especially in the spring and summer. Tons of corporate women dress like Miranda at work and another way in their personal life.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

No its not which is so weird. Give her lots of really nice suits (for work) with blouses, small jewelry pieces and a great purse/briefcase for her files.  For going out, dark jeans and heels, black/navy, grey, and her sweat pants and baseball hat for lounging around the house- but in the correct size!!

And Miranda had money. She would have bought nice clothes.  It's not like she would have been shopping at Target. I wonder if the writers told Field to dress Miranda like she didn't care about her clothes.  

21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Style wise I love Samantha's bright colors and Charlotte's silouhettes

I do think Samantha's and Charlottes' wardrobes have both held up well.  Neither one of them wore anything too trendy.  There is plenty of their outfits I would totally wear today.  

And then there is Carrie. For every outfit I liked there were three (or four or ten) I didn't like.   I coveted her shoes but her (or more likely Pat Field's) fashion choices mostly had me rolling my eyes.  

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

And then there is Carrie. For every outfit I liked there were three (or four or ten) I didn't like.   I coveted her shoes but her (or more likely Pat Field's) fashion choices mostly had me rolling my eyes.  

SJP has a very nice toned petite body, but so many of Carrie's clothes felt like COSTUMES, or a version of cosplay not a woman actually out living her life. As far as outfits I did love her in her newspaper print dress. So many of the things Carrie wore when SJP was pregnant were pretty cute. Like the dress she wore to the wedding at the end of season 5.

I have a very different figure and lifestyle than Carrie, but on an aesthetic level I appreciated these two outfits. I think the newspaper print really showed her lovely shape and toned stomach.

image.png.3460bc6de0a1ce8f07ad65b9d77e4290.pngimage.png.e27605f67497a5f53a0d612fbfa01e4e.png

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

SJP has a very nice toned petite body, but so many of Carrie's clothes felt like COSTUMES, or a version of cosplay not a woman actually out living her life. As far as outfits I did love her in her newspaper print dress. So many of the things Carrie wore when SJP was pregnant were pretty cute. Like the dress she wore to the wedding at the end of season 5.

I have a very different figure and lifestyle than Carrie, but on an aesthetic level I appreciated these two outfits. I think the newspaper print really showed her lovely shape and toned stomach.

image.png.3460bc6de0a1ce8f07ad65b9d77e4290.pngimage.png.e27605f67497a5f53a0d612fbfa01e4e.png

I think whether you like Carrie/SJP (character, actor, person, fashion) or not, no one can deny she had the best body. She's a tiny little thing but still toned and even has large boobs for her frame than are real. The figure definitely helped her pull off all those eccentric looks.

My fave wardrobes did belong to Charlotte and Samantha, and I agree their looks would still totally work today. I love dressing like Sam when I feel thinner, but those fit and flare dresses Charlotte wore hide weight fluctuation better. lol I'm very small, but five pounds really shows on me so I don't always love the way I look in more body conscious clothes. 

• Love 4

I love Kim and Kristin's bodies!  I get what you're saying, that SJP has the body of like a tiny little model or gymnast, but I still think it's subjective and that not everyone necessarily prefers that.  I'm sure designers just love SJP's body, because she's the closest to a hanger or mannequin, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

My fave wardrobes did belong to Charlotte and Samantha, and I agree their looks would still totally work today. I love dressing like Sam when I feel thinner, but those fit and flare dresses Charlotte wore hide weight fluctuation better. lol I'm very small, but five pounds really shows on me so I don't always love the way I look in more body conscious clothes. 

I love a fit and flare dress because I am shaped like a fertility statue, but I do have a very slim face/neck/collar bone area, so exposing that in the summer makes me look smaller than I am, a full skirt hides ALL the business. LOL.

10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love Kim and Kristin's bodies!  I get what you're saying, that SJP has the body of like a tiny little model or gymnast, but I still think it's subjective and that not everyone necessarily prefers that.  I'm sure designers just love SJP's body, because she's the closest to a hanger or mannequin, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

I think Kim had a much more athletic figure, and Kristin looks more like what an "ideal weight" me would look like so I can certainly identify with that. And I am a more modest dresser, (its not a weight thing, or a body shame thing- just a ME thing) and I like that Charlotte was usually covered up unless it was the beach or something.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

True some men are more attracted to super heavy women or women who are straight up and down.  Tastes can really vary. I do think her body is the most conventionally attractive though. People always talk about SJP not being a classical beauty and the other girls being prettier, but she had the most conventionally attractive body, especially for fashion imo. My own body is like a taller, skinnier Kristin. I'm small with skinny arms and legs. I have some boob, but like a 30-32 band, so they kind of disappear in a lot of clothes, and when I gain weight it's more in the hips/booty/thighs. I dress with that area in mind. SJP was a slim hourglass, so her body was a dream to dress. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love a fit and flare dress because I am shaped like a fertility statue, but I do have a very slim face/neck/collar bone area, so exposing that in the summer makes me look smaller than I am, a full skirt hides ALL the business. LOL.

I think Kim had a much more athletic figure, and Kristin looks more like what an "ideal weight" me would look like so I can certainly identify with that. And I am a more modest dresser, (its not a weight thing, or a body shame thing- just a ME thing) and I like that Charlotte was usually covered up unless it was the beach or something.

Doesn't it? lol Those full skirts also help keep my body from looking sexual. When you're small but have a curvy lower body, formfitting clothes draw attention to your ass. Fine for the club or if you don't mind attention, but I don't want anyone starting at my behind every day. lol 

What I love about Kristin's body is it's beautiful and fit but realistic. She wasn't a stick with huge boobs. (That's my dream body though, not gonna lie. lol I was a 90's kid who played with Barbies and grew up when Pam Anderson was all the rage. I've noticed lots of people now prefer the J.Lo/Kim K look.) Kim Cattrall's body is awesome in general, but it's especially amazing given her age. She puts most 20-somethings to shame. Cynthia had a great figure too. SJP just really hit the genetic jackpot bod wise for me. I remember thinking it was so nuts when Carrie said it was time for women their age to start covering up. I was much younger when I first saw that episode, and even then I'd think, why?! Why on earth would a woman with such a gorgeous figure think she needs to start covering up? I understand wanting to look classy and modest, but it's a waste of beautiful body to not show off a little imo. I will wear skirts above the knee as long as I can, but to each her own. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4

But women shouldn't want to cover up no matter what their bodies look like 🙂.   It shouldn't be only women with gorgeous figures who should show off, I wish all women could feel that confident.

I actually think SJP was really conventionally attractive especially around the time SATC started.  People make fun of her looks but I always found her so sexy and cool around the time of "Honeymoon in Vegas" (1992) and onward.  

I don't think the short haircut worked for her at all around Season 5 and I don't think the dark hair worked for her in Season 6.  But by then SJP was doing whatever she wanted and not really caring about the Carrie signature style.  And her personality and fights with Kim made her a lot less attractive to me!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But women shouldn't want to cover up no matter what their bodies look like 🙂.   It shouldn't be only women with gorgeous figures who should show off, I wish all women could feel that confident.

I actually think SJP was really conventionally attractive especially around the time SATC started.  People make fun of her looks but I always found her so sexy and cool around the time of "Honeymoon in Vegas" (1992) and onward.  

I don't think the short haircut worked for her at all around Season 5 and I don't think the dark hair worked for her in Season 6.  But by then SJP was doing whatever she wanted and not really caring about the Carrie signature style.  And her personality and fights with Kim made her a lot less attractive to me!

I agree all women should feel confident. I'm for the body positivity moment. I just personally do dress differently depending on what shape I'm in, and I think talking like you're an old hag when you're a hot 30-something is especially silly. 

Yes, she was SO cute with the curls. I love her eyes and smile too. 

LOL that's funny, but there is totally something to be said for inner beauty. One reason I find the Charlotte character attractive is because she came across as more sweet and gentle than the other girls, most of the time. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Yes, she was SO cute with the curls. I love her eyes and smile too. 

SJP is really hot in "Til There Was You" and "The First Wives Club".  Back then she was always playing hot young things, so she was definitely considered conventionally attractive.

sarah-jessica-parker-dylan-mcdermott-til-there-was-you-1997-BPG7A0.jpg

2012361785-3-1.gif

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

SJP is really hot in "Til There Was You" and "The First Wives Club".  Back then she was always playing hot young things, so she was definitely considered conventionally attractive.

2012361785-3-1.gif

I remember he as the nasty gold digging bimbo from First Wives Club and the cute silly witch from Hocus Pocus. SJP got a lot of cute girl roles....many might say that Carrie is a "cute girl role".

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

SJP is a perfectly attractive woman. Yes she’s thin, blonde and white which is often all that is required to be attractive in certain social circles, but I think she’s attractive as an entire package. The making fun of her looks I think is noted in some “WASPY” ideal that you be “attractive” you have to be “thin, blonde, white, AND have small features.” Mayim Bialik (Blossum/Big Bang Theory) talks about how she didn’t get cast for things because she wasn’t “all American- thin, blonde, white, AND have small features.” Danielle Fishel (Topanga from Boy Meets World) went through that as well.  

15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

2012361785-3-1.gif

Yes she was. Women just really can’t win. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

SJP is a perfectly attractive woman. Yes she’s thin, blonde and white which is often all that is required to be attractive in certain social circles, but I think she’s attractive as an entire package. The making fun of her looks I think is noted in some “WASPY” ideal that you be “attractive” you have to be “thin, blonde, white, AND have small features.” Mayim Bialik (Blossum/Big Bang Theory) talks about how she didn’t get cast for things because she wasn’t “all American- thin, blonde, white, AND have small features.” Danielle Fishel (Topanga from Boy Meets World) went through that as well.  

Yes she was. Women just really can’t win. 

I think that you are absolutely right.  No matter what I think about SJP as a person, people, especially men it seems, are way harsher on SJP's looks than she could ever deserve.  It's quite disgusting.

She has a distinctive nose, but so does Adrian Brody.  Notice how women never treat Adrian with the disgust that so many straight men treat SJP.

I'll never forget when the first SATC movie came out in 2008 and so many men started posting things on Facebook (the hot social media back then) that they didn't want to hear about this movie about these old ugly women and they didn't want to see it and they didn't want to be dragged to it by their girlfriends blah blah blah.  As if 90% of movies back then weren't entirely catered to them (white men)!  Give me a break.  I unfriended all of them.

There's a lot of misogyny with the way that people treat SJP's looks and the show in general, whether it's from men or women.  

I really admire SJP for not getting the typical hatchet nose job that almost every female actor in Hollywood has gotten - I always point this out but even models who come to Hollywood feel the need to lose weight and get surgery.  Models!  It's horrifying!  I always think to myself where is this pressure coming from!?!??!  Who is telling every woman to do this?????   If SJP gets work done, it was kept pretty minimal and she always kept her recognizable look.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
44 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think that you are absolutely right.  No matter what I think about SJP as a person, people, especially men it seems, are way harsher on SJP's looks than she could ever deserve.  It's quite disgusting.

She has a distinctive nose, but so does Adrian Brody.  Notice how women never treat Adrian with the disgust that so many straight men treat SJP.

I'll never forget when the first SATC movie came out in 2008 and so many men started posting things on Facebook (the hot social media back then) that they didn't want to hear about this movie about these old ugly women and they didn't want to see it and they didn't want to be dragged to it by their girlfriends blah blah blah.  As if 90% of movies back then weren't entirely catered to them (white men)!  Give me a break.  I unfriended all of them.

There's a lot of misogyny with the way that people treat SJP's looks and the show in general, whether it's from men or women.  

I really admire SJP for not getting the typical hatchet nose job that almost every female actor in Hollywood has gotten - I always point this out but even models who come to Hollywood feel the need to lose weight and get surgery.  Models!  It's horrifying!  I always think to myself where is this pressure coming from!?!??!  Who is telling every woman to do this?????   If SJP gets work done, it was kept pretty minimal and she always kept her recognizable look.

It’s always the guys who couldn’t get someone in her league who bash her! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

It’s always the guys who couldn’t get someone in her league who bash her! 

tenor.gif

She's married to Ferris Bueller and she dated Robert Downey Jr. and JOHN FREAKING F. KENNEDY JR!!!!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.15.39 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I grew up in Atlanta and so many talented women did not get record deals because they did not have the right look and so many women who could barely sing got signed because the men making these decisions thought they were fuckable.

I don't even have to tell you how many male rock stars and musicians are ugly as hell....

but so many of Carrie's clothes felt like COSTUMES, or a version of cosplay not a woman actually out living her life

My opinion is that as the show went on, Pat Fields starting believing the hype about herself more and more. Instead of dressing Carrie as a character, she tried to keep making herself a trendsetter via Carrie, which, good for her, but as others pointed out, Carrie herself in later seasons wasn't wearing some of her outfits, the outfits were wearing Carrie.

In hindsight, I kind of appreciate Carrie's wardrobe more in the first few seasons, it was funky enough for her being a edgy fashionista but still somewhat believable given her job and income (and that fact that occasionally we would see her not being able to always afford new clothes).

• Love 6
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I grew up in Atlanta and so many talented women did not get record deals because they did not have the right look and so many women who could barely sing got signed because the men making these decisions thought they were fuckable.

I don't even have to tell you how many male rock stars and musicians are ugly as hell....

Just a couple days ago a coworker and I were talking about musical artists and how you have to be marketable i.e attractive i.e fuckable nowadays.   I told him no way Janis Joplin would get a record deal today.

4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

My opinion is that as the show went on, Pat Fields starting believing the hype about herself more and more. Instead of dressing Carrie as a character, she tried to keep making herself a trendsetter via Carrie, which, good for her, but as others pointed out, Carrie herself in later seasons wasn't wearing some of her outfits, the outfits were wearing Carrie.

In hindsight, I kind of appreciate Carrie's wardrobe more in the first few seasons, it was funky enough for her being a edgy fashionista but still somewhat believable given her job and income (and that fact that occasionally we would see her not being able to always afford new clothes).

SATC made Pat Fields famous.  Which like you said good for her but I do think at some point the fashion became more about what Pat Fields wanted and less about what was right for the characters. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

This is so sad. Singers are supposed to sing! Mainstream female singers are almost always attractive, and yeah the men, not so much. lol 

I remember Adele talking about not having a pop star body like Katy Perry's, but she's always been a beautiful, beautiful girl. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Same here. She looked great for the most part in the early seasons. Then they changed that. SJP is beautiful but she couldn't pull off most of those outfits. I often thought she looked more like a homeless woman in the later seasons with what they put her in.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Hiyo said:

In the first season, Carrie would maybe wear one expensive piece that she would pair with vintage finds for an unique look. She cared about fashion but she was not dressing out of her league income wise. I think we might have even see wear some things more than once but I am not sure.

Eventually, she was wearing outfits that were worth thousands of dollars just to walk down the street. This was before she married Big or was a kept woman by Alex. It was a cool fantasy but did not make sense for the character's finances.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5
(edited)

In the first two seasons Carrie's wardrobe was inspirational.  I'm inspired by outfits that Carrie wore in those first two seasons to this day.  It was the mix of cheap finds, vintage stores and like you said, maybe 1 designer piece.   From Season 3 and on, it might have inspired some people, (????) but not me!  Those gigantic flowers never caught on LOL and I think Patricia stopped influencing people from then on.  She just went rogue.

This is Season 2, I believe:

C1MnwPAWgAE8UMZ.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5