Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: I Heart Video Dating

dcalley
  • Start Topic

Erica and Lainey use technology to find a woman for Bill, while Beverly intends to find someone the old-fashioned way; Barry decides he wants to be a gym teacher and begins an apprenticeship with coach Mellor.

Did we say "It's my jam" in the 80s?  Because I don't think we did.

I wasn't a big fan of the Barry story line because I always hate it when a character is ridiculed for their job and made to feel like they are a lowly piece of shit because of what they do for a living.   Not everybody is a doctor or a lawyer.  Or runs a furniture store.  I felt bad for any real-life gym teachers who were watching last night.  And what exactly would be wrong with Barry becoming a gym teacher?  Because he's clearly not going to be a doctor or a lawyer.  And I bet if he took over the family furniture store someday he'd run it into the ground within a year.  So...

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 8

Die Erica and Geoff Schwartz theme, Die!

As I was rewatching last season, it was amazing how there was this slow drip from exploring Erica as a complex character to tying everything back to Geoff Schwartz, and two episodes in and they're whole hog on that for some reason.

*Deep Breath*

Some good things. Adam shined in his supporting character role in this episode. I loved the Adam Goldberg dig, and the video was predictable but fantastic. The reoccurring Rob Huebel character who runs shady '80s fly-by-night businesses out of sad Mall Shells is great too. Of course Pops has his most successful video.

• Love 5

Man, since when is being a gym teacher a fate worse than death? Shouldn't Murrey just be happy that Barry is interested in an actual job, not being a rap star/ninja or something? 

Ugggg this Erica plot. So over it. 

I think my favorite part was how Barry apparently forgets what he watches on TV, and then thinks its the future. Or when Adam comes to the realization of why his tape might not work out the way he planned. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Of course Pops has his most successful video.

The look on Beverly's face when she saw his video, coupled with Wendi's delivery when she realized why Pops had been out every night of the month, made that hilarious!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Man, since when is being a gym teacher a fate worse than death? Shouldn't Murrey just be happy that Barry is interested in an actual job, not being a rap star/ninja or something? 

I think my favorite part was how Barry apparently forgets what he watches on TV, and then thinks its the future. Or when Adam comes to the realization of why his tape might not work out the way he planned. 

I wonder if this was a plot drawn from real life. The Murray on the show who runs a small discount furniture store should just be glad that Barry is thinking about a real job. The real Murray who was a successful doctor, maybe he'd have had an issue with it.

Edited by Perfect Xero
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

20 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

As I was rewatching last season, it was amazing how there was this slow drip from exploring Erica as a complex character to tying everything back to Geoff Schwartz, and two episodes in and they're whole hog on that for some reason.

In the words of Murray Goldberg, "MORONS!"

If this was a directive from the Network, then they deserve to be pelted by dodgeballs for an hour.

If this came from Adam, he has to watch the 2011 revenge sweep by the Bruins against the Flyers.

• Love 6
On 9/29/2016 at 9:46 AM, Cementhead said:

Did we say "It's my jam" in the 80s?  Because I don't think we did.

I also don't think we did.

On 9/29/2016 at 0:20 PM, Traveller519 said:

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm right there with you.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2016 at 10:41 AM, King of Birds said:

With the aging of the "kids" they're really re-writing and changing the idea of the show. Could be me but this season seems much different from the previous.

I've binge-watched all the shows in the last month or two and to me, the show took a downturn in mid/late season 2.  Or maybe I was just over it.  

On 9/29/2016 at 5:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

Shouldn't Murrey just be happy that Barry is interested in an actual job, not being a rap star/ninja or something? 

Good point.  I guess the downside to wanting to be a PE teacher is that there aren't that many per school, so I imagine getting a job wouldn't be too easy, but it's certainly easier than getting a job as an oracle!

• Love 2

In a previous episode, Beverly showed distaste to the idea of Adam becoming a teacher so I knew it was coming, but it still hurt to see Murray trample all over Meller's feelings.