Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: One in 8,000

Well, this episode left me emotional. But, Keegan Michael Key is such a good choice for Donna's love interest. I like to see more about her life without making her a caricature.

Was Tom in this episode at all? Craig kept me distracted enough not to notice. Good as always, but I still want to see how we end this season. 

I did not see the triplet thing coming. I kept expecting it to be a fake out or something. Not sure how I feel about this. The sad thing is, by the time the babies are born the show might be ending anyway.

As much as I hate the constant job changes on this show, triplets sounds like a good reason for Ben to try that accounting firm again for the bigger paycheck. Knowing this show, he's more likely to pick up extra money waiting tables at Tom's Bistro.

I like seeing Donna get a real love interest. I was wondering when that was going to happen. 

I'm unsure how I feel about the triplets. I feel like the original 7th Heaven series finale (the one before it got the last-minute renewal and Everwood was sacrificed to continue that awful show) ruined me for all multiple birth story lines. That was the finale where 3 of the Camden kids were revealed to be having twins and it was awful. Now, I just kind of automatically roll my eyes when there's more than one baby involved.

I am looking forward to seeing Ben and Leslie continually freak out, though.

Also, I just love Keegan-Michael Key in whatever he does. I really hope he and Donna get to continue their storyline next season because Key and Retta will be hilarious.

• Love 1

Leslie and Ben having triplets is wacky, but what I got out of this episode wasn't sitcommy shenanigans but the reminder that they and all their friends really love and support each other. Even April was nice to Jerry when she thought he was dying. 

I also really enjoy Ron and Donna's friendship because they've known each other for so long, and they're able to speak honesty with each other in a way that I think even Ron and Leslie can't.

Didn't realize Tom wasn't in the episode until later. Wonder what Aziz was up to. 

I instantly felt like the triplets was a "jump the shark" moment, but I have trust in this show. A pregnancy wouldn't slow Leslie down, but triplets will and it will be a struggle for her. I loved when they told everyone, and I'm glad they didn't try to keep it a secret.

Craig is perfect in one or two scenes.

I don't know what the actual odds of having triplets is (especially without fertility drugs) but I was still glad that John Ralphio's dad made sure to tell them it wasn't as special as one in a million. Ha! I knew lots of sets of twins growing up but I only knew one set of triplets, so it's realistic but not as common.

I loved the examples of calm the doctor gave them. McConnaughey on a beach hammock is going to be my new go-to visualization image for being calm. And Buddha on quaaludes!

Leslie's attempts at remaining calm and unstressed at the auction were admirable but I thought she should have just handed the microphone to Craig. You know he would have berated half of those people into buying stuff.

King Sparkle of Cupcake Forest shall be my new title of honor to bestow upon the worthy. It must be someone who possesses the wisdom to know that drama is not the same as happiness.

The Atlantic actually has an article today about the increased rate of twins, which are relatively common (about 1 in 60 pregnancies these days). If one-in-8,000 is correct, then triples are much more rare, as one would expect.  I'd imagine this factor holds applies to triplets as well as twins:

Older women tend to have more twins than younger women—and older women are having more of the nation's babies. The researchers found this demographic phenomenon accounted for one-third of the increase.

From a production standpoint, I don't think we'll have to worry about seeing too much of the triplets next season.  Can you imagine how many babies they'd have to have on set to accomplish that?  With super strict labor laws for babies and the number of doubles they'd need for getting the right emotions, it'd be a nightmare for the crew. 

That said, one of my favorite movie scenes of all time is Raising Arizona when HI was trying to pick a quintuplet to kidnap!

Edited by Omega Mu

This episode is where season 6 really hit its stride after an uneven start.  The cold open with Chris Pratt's pratfall was hilarious!  His fake secrets were also fantastic.

It's nice to see Donna have a real love interest rather than a revolving door of dates.  Hope to see more of her Tammy. 

The triplet thing felt a little gimmicky, but i'm curious to see how that storyline will play out.  Anytime Ben is drunk and/or freaking out is gold.  It was nice to see everyone offer help when Leslie finally broke the news.

I'm loving King Sparkle of Cupcake Forest's growth throughout the years.  Ron really shines in the role of a sage.

Edited by CodeNameDuchess

Hulu showed me a commercial featuring the golfer Adam Scott at the start of this episode, which was confusing.

Despite reservations about the pregnancy, the Ron/Donna/Joe storyline was great, and I'm never going to complain about Dr. Fonzercorn or Andy in camo.

I rolled my eyes at the triplets thing, but my favorite moment of this episode was when April told Andy she was glad he didn't tell her because It was such great news. . Moments like that remind me why I love April so much despite her moodiness most of the time.

• Love 1

The triplets thing ... I can't even form a coherent response yet.

Donna's storyline was lovely, but I didn't think she was unhappy not having a love interest and being tied down.The way the writers are trying to force conventionally happy endings on the characters reminds me of how the comic strip "For Better or for Worse" went during its last two years. 

• Love 1
The cold open with Chris Pratt's pratfall was hilarious!

That fall was amazing -- straight back, hands in pockets, no hesitation. Pratt was on fire throughout the episode.

April not being mean to Larry was as horrifying to me as it was to her.

I can't even form coherent thoughts about Leslie having triplets. I just can't.

• Love 1

From a production standpoint, I don't think we'll have to worry about seeing too much of the triplets next season.  Can you imagine how many babies they'd have to have on set to accomplish that?  With super strict labor laws for babies and the number of doubles they'd need for getting the right emotions, it'd be a nightmare for the crew. 

That said, one of my favorite movie scenes of all time is Raising Arizona when HI was trying to pick a quintuplet to kidnap!

"Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."  Love that movie!!!

The "Craig" character seems like he belongs on a different show.  I really just can't stand him and, for me, he almost ruins every scene he's in. 

I agree.  I don't get the appeal....at all.

Ben freaking out felt realistic to me but Adam Scott also managed to make his panic funny, which I find impressive!

I was very relieved that Leslie couldn't tell Ben the news over the phone. That shit is something that you do in person! What the hell??

The Fonz got the biggest laugh out of us with his: "your body is prone to releasing multiple eggs. It's what we doctors like to call - and I don't mean to be insensitive - a going out of business sale."

I was pleasantly surprised that Donna's "Tammy" was just a regular, laid-back nice guy. It actually makes total sense that she'd be freaked out by someone like that.

And thank you Show, for pulling the gang together at the end to remind me that this wacky group of weirdos is a family and they love each other.

Ah, the joy of anytime mini-marathons thanks to On Demand and DVR. I binged on the last 3 episodes of the season all at once, and frankly thought I had missed an announcement that this was the final season. Leslie and Ben are pregnant with triplets? As a series ender where I don't have to see pregnancy, babies, family life - works.

I disliked Donna's ex-boyfriend from the moment I saw him, to the extent I knew he must have been primed as "bad" in my mind by another show. Took me until the next day to place him as half of the annoying restaurant couple opposite Barney and Robin a few seasons ago. And, trust me, if they were annoying opposite B&R, they were annoying (poor Patrice; you may annoy Robin, but I think I would be you if I was in that world) [/HIMYMsidetrack]

So it took me until Ron liked him for me to decide maybe Joe wasn't just slickly trying to appear too-good-to-be-true. And when Ron liked him? Well, many thanks to Tara for the gif of the Giddy Grin of Ron, because it just makes me smile.

I'm so easily manipulated.

I realize this isn't the shows fault, but as someone currently pregnant that started out with twins, and now has one surviving baby to deliver, may have to postpone this show for a bit.  Multiple pregnancies (especially triplets) can come with a lot of risk that I know the show isn't going to into, and that will drive me nuts if she's running around carefree and not having a ton of doctor's appointments. But such is television.

The freak-out part on Ben was great - you definitely have that moment where you're all "wtf how are we ever going to do this" and they don't really stop coming. I enjoyed seeing Key on the show, I've enjoyed his show on Comedy Central.  And I like Craig - not sure why, bu the makes me laugh. 

Moviesnob:

The next episode ends with a three-year time-jump that the producers have said will be permanent. No pregnancy storyline.

Really? Interesting. I still have that one sitting on the DVR, so a pretty great way to take all the angst out of it.