Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Are We Amused Yet?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

•   Introductions

•   Off-topic chatter

•   Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1 Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about

2 Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

3 If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

•   Character topics

•   Episode topics

•   Season topics

•   Spoiler topics

•   Speculation topics

•   In the Media topics

•   Favourite X topics

•   ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I love the idea of having some virtual tea. My whole life has been one big attempt to have a fancy tea like you see in movies. 

I find it adorable that Dash is the same dog. 

Has anybody ready any good, escapist historical fiction lately?

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Thanks for that churching link.

I, too, was born in the 50's and my mother was given ether and was deathly ill from it and didn't get to see me for three days.  She said "never again" and had my brother (in the late 50's) and sister (in the late 60's) without any anesthesia or painkillers.  She loved being in the hospital for a week, although she was ambulatory, to rest up before going home to 24/7 baby care and homemaking.

Sending mothers home within 24 hours is just wrong.  Geez!  Your body's just been through a traumatic experience, not to mention the emotional aspect.  There's got to be a happy medium.  Unfortunately, the insurance companies probably don't care.

From the S2Ep1 thread.

Insurance companies don't care.  What's more, the time you have the baby makes all the difference.  Everything's counted at 12:01 a.m.  In 1993, I gave birth on a Wednesday at 12:13 a.m.  I was released on Friday.  My OB told me that had my son been born 15 minutes earlier, they would have had to release me on Thursday!  

My husband was recently hospitalized and I had a similar conversation with a nurse who told me that the number of days is counted by where the patient is at midnight. 

• Love 1

If anyone is interested in a similar series I discovered Ekaterina on Amazon Prime, about the life of Catherine the Great.  It's a Russian series with English subtitles.  The production is gorgeous, omigosh, the costumes and sets are incredibly opulent.  I'm only 3 (of 10) episodes in but am enjoying it a lot.  Fascinating story of a young girl who had to prove herself worthy, in this case, of marrying the heir to the Russian crown.  I recommend it!

• Love 5
On 6/20/2018 at 6:40 AM, Haleth said:

If anyone is interested in a similar series I discovered Ekaterina on Amazon Prime, about the life of Catherine the Great.  It's a Russian series with English subtitles.  The production is gorgeous, omigosh, the costumes and sets are incredibly opulent.  I'm only 3 (of 10) episodes in but am enjoying it a lot.  Fascinating story of a young girl who had to prove herself worthy, in this case, of marrying the heir to the Russian crown.  I recommend it!

Yes!! I started this but will be finishing later this week. It’s very good. 

• Love 2

I’ve just started reading Daughters of the Winter Queen. Sophia, Electress of Hanover was the youngest daughter and was 4x great grandmother to Victoria. (Sophia——George I——George II——Frederick Prince of Wales (predeceased father)———George III,——Prince Edward Duke of Kent——-Victoria). 

Check out Daughters of the Winter Queen: Four Remarkable Sisters, the Crown of Bohemia, and the Enduring Legacy of Mary, Queen of Scots by Nancy Goldstone

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959672

• Love 2

What I really liked about that book was how to everyone's surprise, Edward turned out to be a very good king. He might have been something of a reprobate as Prince of Wales, but when destiny arrived, he buckled down and did his duty.

• Love 7

Thanks to this series, I have ordered the complete series of Inspector Lewis, starring Laurence Fox (of whom I’d never heard before this season of Victoria 😄). Thank goodness for Amazon gift cards as Christmas presents!

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Thanks to this series, I have ordered the complete series of Inspector Lewis, starring Laurence Fox (of whom I’d never heard before this season of Victoria 😄). Thank goodness for Amazon gift cards as Christmas presents!

Ah, sweet James. *swoon*

Enjoy! One word of advice - don't try too hard to make the mysteries make sense.

They should have had Palmerston fish Victoria out of the ocean as a nod to Lewis fans. LOL

• Love 4

Mr. Fox is totally killing it on this series isn't he? I adored him in Inspector Lewis, in fact I kinda had a nerd crush on him, but in this series, he is sorta sexy....I think his character is developing nicely. I think he might actually do right by Victoria before it is over, but I am not sure of history. 

• Love 4
On 3/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, Capricasix said:

So I popped the first disc of the first season in, sit down to watch the pilot episode, and holy motherforking shirtballs if Charlie Cox (Daredevil) isn’t one of the guest actors! Series is already off to a good start and I’ve only seen five minutes of it 👍🏼

• Love 1