Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

I'd like to set up a tutorial session with some of the "students" that JJ sees - you know, the ones who use their student loans to pay for rims for their hoopties, stereo systems and iphones for guys they've just met, etc., because when I attempted to get a little extra on my daughter's student loan to help pay for living expenses, I was denied and told that they only do that for oncampus housing.  I guess the problem is that I have an excellent credit rating and history, excellent work history, have already begun making payments on the loan rather than wait until she graduates, and, probably my worst mistake, I was honest.  I'm definitely living wrong.

ETA:  We got it straightened out and she was just filling in the wrong forms.  Still, I can't imagine any of the knuckleheads we see jumping through this many flaming hoops to get this done.

Edited by DebbieW
  • Love 3

JJ didn't want to hear anything because they'd been living together 7 years, but the TV in question seemed to be recently purchased.  I thought that she either should have made the guy return the TV to her or made him pay for it since she was still on the hook for the payments.  I get why she doesn't want to invest too much time unraveling entanglements for people playing house, but that seemed cut and dry.

I thought so, too, at first.  But then the guy said that he'd been paying on that bill--giving her cash for the TV payments--every month for however long.  I even remember it was $230 a month, and I started doing the math in my head.  At that point I was sure JJ was going to ask him to produce proof, but instead she asked him if they were paying off the washing machine at the same time.  And suddenly it was "Good-bye!"  I felt a little whiplash.

• Love 1

Great repeats today.

"How ya doin', Miss Judge?" - Tangra, well-versed in the mysterious world of various welfare programs. I felt sorry for the daughter. She's the only one who seems to have any sense, and got a brick to the head from her idiotic goofball fool of a brother for her pains.

I love it when JJ tells Byrd to pay attention because he's going to love a case. I really don't think he gave a shit about the pea-brained, dumbo-eared tool, Travis, or any other of the trailer-trashy, breeder litigants in that case. The only fascinating part of that case is that Travis had at least 3 (count 'em) THREE women who really wanted to have unprotected sex with him. Like, basically - WTF? Idiocracy - it's here.

Marcia! She's a rough-trade looking 45-year old woman with arms and shoulders many a man would envy, who looked as though she rode bulls for a living until she decided someone else should "take care" of her. I wish JJ had let her talk more as her story just got more and more fantastical. Awesome.

Fun times.

• Love 5

Travis, but wasn't he 23 with a 7 year old???

Seven, four and three. All numbers JJ is determined never to use to play a lottery. The love of his life, Lisa(?) is 22 and has two children, one of them five years old. Travis used to have a job at McDonalds for about a month, but he lost it. I guess all those complicated food orders were just too much for him. So glad these people are spreading around their stellar genes.

• Love 4
The only fascinating part of that case is that Travis had at least 3 (count 'em) THREE women who really wanted to have unprotected sex with him. Like, basically - WTF? Idiocracy - it's here.

He's probably made the list of Trashy People's Magazine 10 Most Well-Endowed Losers of the Year. 

• Love 2

I'm definitely living wrong.

Sad to say, but you are. You really need to find that wonderful, magical place where they "give you free money!" Know what I'm sayin'? You needn't tell them  you're buying a motorcyle for your booty call with it.

• Love 4

I may have to quit watching this show.....  It's not good for my blood pressure!  I have rarely felt as much repulsion towards another human being as I did toward the pit bull owner on today's repeat.  His dog snapped its chain and savaged the neighbor's lapdog, and this sack of shit couldn't suppress his ugly little smiles of pure enjoyment at the descriptions of the little dog's injuries and suffering.  He was thrilled--thrilled at being on TV and thrilled at the attention, but mostly thrilled by the smackdown his tough dog had inflicted on the little one.  (Except, of course, for the fact that it wasn't HIS dog who did it.  No, of course not.)  And Judy didn't say much to him except "It's not funny," and "There's that smile again."  I was kind of disappointed in her, but I think she may have been as shocked as everyone else at his affect.  The case left me furious and almost depressed...  Can there be any hope for the human race with people like that walking around?

• Love 4

Hi Follies :)

As a fellow animal lover and advocate (and neighborhood picker-up of strays and escapees) I feel your pain and outrage over today's episode involving the poor little Shih Tzu and the neglected pitbull.

But I dont want you feeling depressed because of the pitbull-owner's strange smiley affect. I have noticed in my field of work that many people seem to smile inappropriately when faced with tragedy or shock or horror or guilt or simple embarrassment. Those reactions used to astound me early in my career, but now I see the smiles so often -- even though the clients are either suffering greatly or in the midst of upheaval -- that I accept the phenomenon as another quirk of human nature and self-protection.

Dont misunderstand me. I agree with you that today's smarmy defendant seemed like a clueless, lying, terrible, neglectful pet-owner and neighbor. But I dont attribute his inappropriate smiling to an utter lack of character. His actions involving the chaining of his pitbull to a clothesline, then refusing to take responsibility for his animal's attack on that sweet little pup speak for his absence of empathy and basic humanity. But, imo, the smiles were involuntary betrayals of his guilt and culpability, not a perverse pleasure in the Shih Tzu's pain.

Btw, although I thought the mother/daughter plaintiffs were sweet, they didnt use their best judgment re their doggy, imo. After the ER vet diagnosed the fracture but advised daughter to visit her own vet the next day for less-expensive surgery, it sounded to me that it wasnt until the second vet-appointment that the doggy was given any pain meds. Then the surgery was put off because of the vet's schedule, prolonging Shih Tzu's agony. They should have looked for another vet, imo.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 2

Thank you, sleekandchic.  It's very kind of you to reply, and your observations are astute.  It didn't occur to me that he was smiling out of awkwardness.  You are probably right.  And that's probably why JJ didn't eviscerate him--she's probably seen that reaction a lot too.  Thanks.  I do feel better now.  :)

• Love 1

Hi Follies :)

As a fellow animal lover and advocate (and neighborhood picker-up of strays and escapees) I feel your pain and outrage over today's episode involving the poor little Shih Tzu and the neglected pitbull.

But I dont want you feeling depressed because of the pitbull-owner's strange smiley affect. I have noticed in my field of work that many people seem to smile inappropriately when faced with tragedy or shock or horror or guilt or simple embarrassment. Those reactions used to astound me early in my career, but now I see the smiles so often -- even though the clients are either suffering greatly or in the midst of upheaval -- that I accept the phenomenon as another quirk of human nature and self-protection.

Dont misunderstand me. I agree with you that today's smarmy defendant seemed like a clueless, lying, terrible, neglectful pet-owner and neighbor. But I dont attribute his inappropriate smiling to an utter lack of character. His actions involving the chaining of his pitbull to a clothesline, then refusing to take responsibility for his animal's attack on that sweet little pup speak for his absence of empathy and basic humanity. But, imo, the smiles were involuntary betrayals of his guilt and culpability, not a perverse pleasure in the Shih Tzu's pain.

Btw, although I thought the mother/daughter plaintiffs were sweet, they didnt use their best judgment re their doggy, imo. After the ER vet diagnosed the fracture but advised daughter to visit her own vet the next day for less-expensive surgery, it sounded to me that it wasnt until the second vet-appointment that the doggy was given any pain meds. Then the surgery was put off because of the vet's schedule, prolonging Shih Tzu's agony. They should have looked for another vet, imo.

I have a coworker who laughs uncontrollably when she gets nervous. So when our boss was bitching at her about something, she was in stitches.

I felt bad for her, but it was one if the funniest things I've ever seen. He had no idea how to handle her reaction. He also hasn't yelled at her since, so that's a plus.

• Love 3

Pit Bulls are not the problem. Idiot owners are. I agree that the smirking and smiling were not "normal" - it was a reaction we have seen before on Judge Judy more than once. The recent re-run with the sister with a "permit" in MN who totaled the car in her sisters name smiled (almost proudly) every time the words "Drunk Driving" were said. I choose to think it was embarrassed smiling.

BTW - who lets a leetle dog out - without a leash - KNOWING there is a dog you are afraid of in the neighborhood.

BOTH poor excuses for pet owners as far as I am concerned

• Love 4
Can there be any hope for the human race with people like that walking around?

I ask myself that after nearly every episode, like yesterday's Minnesota gang with the two idiotic daughters and their mother, who seemed to be severely short on brains but looked younger than either of her offspring. And Ryan Baker, you are no longer America's Dumbest Man. Plaintiff's witness now has that dubious honor.

What distressed me more was Mr. Campoe, who appeared to have been recently thawed out of a glacier and who is permanently disabled due to a missing toe. Both he and his ladylove - who is on welfare after she and the charming Mr. C burned through her apparently sizeable settlement -  had some of the most horrific grammar ever heard on this show. My heart aches for child of the nine-toed Mr. Campoe. The poor thing is forced to dwell in a trailer or in some cousin's house with her terminally moronic father.

• Love 4

Both he and his ladylove...

Yikes!  I missed most of that case and was under the impression that she was his daughter!

I've really got brush up on my Long Island-ese.  It took me the entire case to figure out what the prodigal son meant when he said he worked as a "bobber."

• Love 4

BTW - who lets a leetle dog out - without a leash - KNOWING there is a dog you are afraid of in the neighborhood.

I see it differently.  The mother and her adult daughter live in a home with a pitbull next door.  The mother is afraid of the pitbull, so when the little dog needs to go outside the mother steps outside in the back yard and calls the pitbull.  I'm guessing that if the pitbull shows up they either take the shih tzu out the front, maybe carry it somewhere farther from the house to do it's business, or put a pad down for the dog to dump on.  Not a great way to live, in my opinion. 

The day of the incident, the pitbull didn't respond to the mother's call, so she assumed the pitbull was inside it's owners house.  She let the shih tzu out into the yard and then the pitbull showed up, broke the laundry line it was tethered to, and attacked the little dog.  The mother screams for help, the daughter comes out and is able to separate the dogs, and they take the shih tzu back into the house, where from then on their focus is on dealing with an injured dog.

The owner of the pitbull denies all responsibility.  I also thought he was kind of proud of the fear that his dog generated in his neighbor, and felt that without video footage of his dog attacking, he could get off.

I don't agree that if you think there is a dangerous dog in the neighborhood, you should cower in your home to avoid the dog.  Years ago we had a neighbor with a boxer that got out whenever it's owner went out of town and everyone was scrambling to hide their pets because the boxer was fine with people, but not other animals.  Turned out the owner had to go out of town occasionally for his job and left his teenaged girlfriend to deal with the dog, but she was afraid of the dog so she'd let it out to run free instead of walking it or letting it run free in the backyard, because then she'd have to stay there with it and she hated the dog.  Since animal control here only keeps weekday business hours, they got away with it for a couple of years before they got so many death threats (against the dog, not them), they moved out to the country.  IMO, the dog should have been removed long before due to it's aggressive behavior towards other animals, but animal control here only works M-F 9-5.  Any other problems, and you leave a message and they'll deal with it if they feel like it when they get back into the office.

• Love 2

I missed most of that case and was under the impression that she was his daughter!

Perfectly understandable mistake. Between her "Little Bo Peep" dress, blank face, and her identical bad grammer ("Don't have no job.") it's no wonder you mistook her for Mr. Campoe's daughter. The fact that he was judged a more suitable parent for his seven year old real daughter makes me wonder what the hell the mother is like. omg...

• Love 2

Perfectly understandable mistake. Between her "Little Bo Peep" dress, blank face, and her identical bad grammer ("Don't have no job.") it's no wonder you mistook her for Mr. Campoe's daughter. The fact that he was judged a more suitable parent for his seven year old real daughter makes me wonder what the hell the mother is like. omg...

I watched a few episodes last night and finally just deleted all the reruns from the past month from my DVR (they've been piling up for a while.) I just couldn't take the awful grammar any longer. Has JJ just given up on trying to correct litigants' grammar?

• Love 3

Has JJ just given up on trying to correct litigants' grammar?

I've only ever seen her correct grammar when she thinks the person has a little bit of hope from benefitting from it. She never bothers with bestial, moronic types who just give gape-jawed "Duhhhh?" blank stares in response. Besides, if she attempted to correct Campoe's grammar there would have been no time to hear the case.  

• Love 4

Has JJ just given up on trying to correct litigants' grammar?

Oh God, I hope not. That's some of the most satisfying content on the show.

I was bummed when she didn't lower the hammer on the "teacher" whose car magically drove itself. I mean 'droven.' Then she said, "I don't drive that car no more." {My ears are hurting just thinking about it.} At least the plaintiff had the sense to admit that she is an Aide. But then again, the defendant was lying about many things, like the fact that she has insurance with uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Farmers.

I can tell you from experience because I was a Special Ed Teacher's Assistant while I was finishing my master's (my university wanted students to be unemployed while completing four semesters of practicum/student teaching  --- yeah right; I didn't take out loans, and the university wasn't offering to pay my bills) and then I had Aides/Assistants in my own Sped classrooms after that. Good ones are diamonds in the rough - they are good examples for the students in the ways they behave, speak, respect others, etc. However, the others usually fall into two categories -- mothers who want to be in everyone's business at the school, and complete morons. Some of the real doozies (moron category) I worked with had told me that their children went through the district's Special Ed system, so they thought it would be a nice job. Bless their hearts, some of those folks were 'special' themselves....so that meant that I couldn't trust them to help my students, they could get burned by the laminator, and stapling and cutting were a bit too difficult. I'm thinking that the defendant fell into that category.

"I'm an entrepreneur" lose three pounds in two minutes lady -- If it's a weight loss pyramid scheme, why doesn't she increase the believability by choosing very thin people to add to her pyramid?

Oh, and chicken bones, chicken bones, chicken bones

• Love 2
QuoteQuote

"I don't drive that car no more."

You forgot "I seen". I know we discussed this when this episode aired orginally, but the fact that teachers/teachers' assistants (OF ALL PEOPLE) cannot speak basic English will never cease to shock. Get used to it folks! These are the people teaching the next generation. In addition to sounding functionally illiterate, the def. was also amoral, a liar and stupid enough to leave her keys in the uninsured car, giving her seven year old  (who was having a such "fit" she sent him outside alone) access to them.  If anyone asked me the name of my insurer, I don't think I'd need to roll my eyes and say "Uhmmm" as I searched my fuzzy brain for the name of any insurance company so I can lie some more.

And yeah, in this case I'm shocked that JJ didn't verbally keel haul these dumb bitches for the crime of murdering the language.

Oh, and this?

Oh, and chicken bones, chicken bones, chicken bones

I used to rent once upon a time, and not once did my landlord have to ask me why I was throwing chicken bones and beer cans around the property, nor did he want "to fight me." Of course, he wasn't an "Entra-pren-oor" who recruited the homeless to propagate his pyramid scheme.

*Edited because my fingers seem to have a mind of their own.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

"Entra-pren-oor"

Wasn't that an odd way she said that? Over and over and over. I guess the parent company has them use that term instead of "scammer."    And I did like Ms. Chicken Bones' bouncin' and behavin' hair!

/soapbox:  When I was teaching in the Teacher Education program, I always had grammar questions on my exams.  Students would complain that I had questions about your/you're and "theirselves" on the tests and I'd fire back that if they expected to teach my children, by gum they needed to model correct grammar. I got so sick of correcting it on their assignments it sure 'nuff showed up on exams.  I won't even go into the hazard that is spell check.   I tried, folks.  :-(     /soapbox

• Love 3

Back to the idiot pitbull owner; in many instances I believe that men who think their penii are of the tiny variety, buy these dogs to, um, supplant their minute members.  And you are absolutely right about being PROUD of that vicious dog (not the dog's fault) and smiling about it, same with the girl who was smiling about her non-existent insurance/license; I Got AWAY WITH IT!  I'm so proud!

• Love 5

/soapbox:  When I was teaching in the Teacher Education program, I always had grammar questions on my exams.  Students would complain that I had questions about your/you're and "theirselves" on the tests and I'd fire back that if they expected to teach my children, by gum they needed to model correct grammar. I got so sick of correcting it on their assignments it sure 'nuff showed up on exams.  I won't even go into the hazard that is spell check.   I tried, folks.  :-(     /soapbox

I can imagine some of the horrors you've seen! I was spoiled - I began my teaching career in a wonderful district in Southeast Pennsylvania and worked with some really talented, professional, and respectable people. Then, in search of warmth and sunshine, I moved to Florida. I racked up several horror stories (Kindergarten teacher who displayed Q and q backwards on her alphabet bulletin board until I saw it in May of that school year, 3rd grade teacher who constantly told kids about her marital problems and at-home keggers, a 4th grade English Language Arts teacher who spoke incredibly broken/mangled English and could not read or write standard academic English (she taught reading and writing), a 4th grade teacher who had a secret love child with the Assistant Principal, an ELL teacher who told me I better have kids soon because the Rapture is coming......). I will NEVER say that I miss the classroom. 

• Love 3

an ELL teacher who told me I better have kids soon because the Rapture is coming......)

The rest of your post makes me want to weep  or horsewhip someone, so I zeroed in on this. Too damned funny and it reminds me of an episode of 6 Feet Under, where the COTW found her "rapture," so I had whip this up.  It turns out the angels were really blow-up sex dolls, but we see what we want to!

http://i.imgur.com/g0w3vcR.png

• Love 2

JJ actually asked for hearsay testimony today.  She called the defendant's son up to testify (although nobody had said he was a witness), and asked him if the police came to his mother's house on the day in question, and he said that he wasn't home that day.  And then my mouth dropped open when JJ said, "What did your mother tell you about the police coming to her house?"

• Love 2

Forgive me for speaking in generalities . . . but pit bull owners aren't the type of people I envision as having nervous giggles and smiles. Arrogant smirks, yes. Nervous titters? Nope.

Another animal rescue person here and let me add that in every single case I've seen of a decent human being rescuing a "pit bull" from a marginal idiot, it is most definitely a shitty owner who turns the dogs bad. I've seen countless dogs of this breed placed in happy, healthy homes where they are loved and cared for and none of the dogs eat the neighbors' pets or children. When dirtbags own dogs, things go bad and the breed gets a bad name. See also, Rottweilers in the 1990s.

Yesterday was a rerun of a case featuring four women whose sole purpose for appearing on the show seemed to be to showcase who bought the worst looking wig for the trip. I don't even remember what the case was about--just the pure tackiness of their polyester head wear.

Apologies for being O/T a little, but I wondered if anyone here had ever heard the term "grounded to her bed" as in:  We not only grounded our daughter for a week, we grounded her to her bed.  I saw this on another judge show, and I've never heard of this before.

The mother was a party, what she said to her son is not hearsay. 

What the police said would be hearsay.

It is according to JJ's definition of hearsay.  I yell at the TV all the time when she throws that out there, because it's not the legal definition of hearsay.

• Love 2

I've never heard JJ say that what a party says is hearsay, because it is not. 

She can be a little wishy-washy on police statements.  Essentially, what the police officer says to someone is hearsay.  What a police officer records in their report falls within the business records exception to the hearsay rule.

Done practising law for today. 

• Love 4

Nothing new in the letter but I've always wondered, since the litigant who loses isn't out any cash I've never understood the attitude of some of the "losers" on the show.  No one enjoys losing but they chose to appear on the program and they aren't out any money for why do they resort to name calling, smear tactics, accusations of drug use, deviant behavior and so on.  What's the point?

• Love 5

Nothing new in the letter but I've always wondered, since the litigant who loses isn't out any cash I've never understood the attitude of some of the "losers" on the show.  No one enjoys losing but they chose to appear on the program and they aren't out any money for why do they resort to name calling, smear tactics, accusations of drug use, deviant behavior and so on.  What's the point?

Because they are on TeeVee!  And in the few seconds they are alloted to the halterview, someone important MAY JUST SEE THEM and instantly know that they will be PERFECT for their new reality show!  Famous! Squee!

• Love 3

Because they are on TeeVee!  And in the few seconds they are alloted to the halterview, someone important MAY JUST SEE THEM and instantly know that they will be PERFECT for their new reality show!  Famous! Squee!

Silly me!!  I wasn't thinking about their fifteen minutes.  My bad ...

• Love 1

Yes! I think when they know their segment is going to air, they invite friends and family to come over, chug-a-lug a case of beer and watch them! They're too stupid to know that they've been decimated and humiliated. They're just totally pumped by the fact that they've been on the TV and want everyone to see them.

• Love 2

I'm just now catching up on a week's worth of episodes, including two weekends of older reruns. In the latter category I saw a case new to me - the defendant said "Yeah" while taking the oath with Byrd and then greeted JJ when she sat down at the bench. Two strikes against him already (JJ told Byrd, "I heard the 'yeah'".) The plaintiff was a young man who'd worked for the defendant when he was 18 or 19, something like that, at an amusement park (IIRC), and the defendant kept borrowing money from the youngster. Even though the plaintiff had text messages from his supervisor saying stuff like "Bro, I know I already owe you a bunch of $, but if you could just loan me $400 more until next payday.....", the smirking defendant kept denying that he ever asked for or took money from the kid. Defendant mentioned that he was laid off from the amusement park and now works for Pawn Stars. Anyone remember this case? I tried looking the defendant up (I can't recall his name right now) and couldn't find anything on him except a message on a Pawn Stars forum asking "Does that crook that was on Judge Judy really work there?"

• Love 2

Anyone remember this case?

I do, although maybe not all the details. I remember the poor kid who looked like Ichabod Crane, being scammed by the smarmy, amoral defendant. It was despicable, and  I'm just glad he got his money back.

• Love 1

God, I hate the case with the stepbrothers, the stepson gets virtually nothing from the father's estate even though he lived there since he was two years old, and the biological son gets everything, even though he not only hadn't lived in the house for twenty years, but hadn't even spoken to the father for years.

That last case today where the woman was suing her ex-boyfriend for wrecking her car, in the hallterview, I'm sure the boyfriend was about to say he had taken the car to get "weed", but then quickly changed it to "cigarettes."

• Love 6

I'm sure the boyfriend was about to say he had taken the car to get "weed", but then quickly changed it to "cigarettes."

I watched it carefully.  No doubt about it.  He was about to say "weed" . . . which it looks like he had used right before showing up for court.

• Love 5

The bitter father who insisted, even after JJ's ruling, that he wasn't giving his Corvette to his daughter (who'd paid for it a few years ago) because she was disrespectful reminded me so much of the Six Flags dancing guy that I could barely concentrate on how stubborn and unreasonable he was being. Felt sorry for the daughter growing up with such an unbudgeable hard-nosed father.

• Love 2

The bitter father who insisted, even after JJ's ruling, that he wasn't giving his Corvette to his daughter (who'd paid for it a few years ago) because she was disrespectful reminded me so much of the Six Flags dancing guy that I could barely concentrate on how stubborn and unreasonable he was being. Felt sorry for the daughter growing up with such an unbudgeable hard-nosed father.

Hubby and I watched this one together, and I told him "That man looks like a black Homer Simpson".  He said oh wow, now I can't un-see it!

• Love 1

All new! All new!

One thing I've learned from watching this show is how to recognize a druggie. As soon as I saw Falon, I thought "Meth!" I didn't quite know what to think when Falon's mom started talking. She's a worse mess than her daughter, even though she obviously went and got her hair all done up fancy for her big moment on the TeeVee. I'm glad the aunt got her money back, but I hope she's learned that giving money to drug addicts is probably not a sound decision.

Ms. Asher, crazy landlord? Even though listening to her yak and yak and yak was irritating, her weird, blurry pics of some door showing thousands of dollars of damage and her hallterview were awesome. "(Her JJ appearance) was more brutal than a bad gynocologist visit (exam?)"  WTF? Thank you, Ms. Asher, for making my day.

I couldn't decide if Pony Lady was drunk or on drugs. Another one who protests that her own written and signed complaint is all lies. I'm just glad the pony got a good home. It wouldn't surprise me if the horse rescue organization who gave her the pony comes after her for giving it away. They would if they were reputable, but since they gave her an animal, I'd say they're not.  I wish we could have heard from "Claude" though. 

And then we had yet another stupid, pathetic woman sending money to an online scammer. She "cared for him" although she'd never met him. Ho hum. Nothing new there.

• Love 8