Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Ken McNickle

Michel
  • Start Topic

His eyes just kill me. I love the color of his eyes...they just pop. 

I hear you on Joe though - I'm over the faux-inspirational posts. 

I'll be perfectly honest, his [Ken's] unabashed love for his daughter is enough to give me a lady boner even without everything else lol.

Edited by Sarahsmile416
  • Love 4

Aww, I love Joe's inspirational posts.  Him and Wiglesworth being together sort of surprised me.  While they share a love for yoga, I didn't think they had much else in common.

If I were a cartoon, this is the part where my eyes would pop out of my head all ah-OOH-ga ah-OOH-ga! I don't even mind that his legs are an entirely different colour than his upper body.

I didn't even notice the legs until you mentioned it.  Then again, there's so much gorgeousness to look at.  It was all from the briefs up for me.

7 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Aww, I love Joe's inspirational posts.  Him and Wiglesworth being together sort of surprised me.  While they share a love for yoga, I didn't think they had much else in common.

I didn't even notice the legs until you mentioned it.  Then again, there's so much gorgeousness to look at.  It was all from the briefs up for me.

Yeah, I noticed the bulge, too, even in those dark briefs.  But I'm more of a sucker for the chest and the eyes.  One look into those eyes, and I'd be his bitch for life.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

The thing with Wiglesworth doesn't bug me - actually I think it's cute. Kind of OT but I am not one who is going to have a coronary because he is 11 years her junior. The inspirational posts were great until that's all there was lol. 

I could see them both getting along with Ken...especially Wiglesworth. They strike me as fairly similar.  

With Ken, how do you get started...you stare at one thing but then there's a million other things to rest your gaze on. He can talk to me about sunsets and solitude and his daughter anytime he wants. 

• Love 4
On 12/17/2016 at 3:13 PM, Rachel RSL said:

Jay is probably the first person ever to look exactly the same both on and off the island.

Lol, between stealing food with Taylor and the almost obscene number of hefty food reward challenges this season, I'm surprised if Jay even lost weight this season. :)

I actually thought Ken might have a chance at FTC, if only from the multiple key II wins (in looking back at season results for a different post, we've been getting lopsided wins for a long while, and one of the last close votes was Yul over Ozzy, 5-4; people do sometimes vote for someone who simply stayed alive against odds, like blue collar Mike a few seasons ago), but I think the Adam story was just the rolling stone that started the avalanche; the weird Will vote meltdown didn't help as it likely convinced everyone Ken was just not any good at the game itself.  

I can respect his decision to axe David just before the final tribal, although I'm not a fan of people who talk about loyalty in a game designed to break it; he had to have known for weeks that he was eventually going to go against David, so I wish he'd just owned it in FTC like Jay did with Michaela, rather than a "... but my daughter is always my tightest alliance!".  No kidding, everyone who is on the show has tighter alliances with family and loved ones than with the strangers they met a month ago.

• Love 5

My impression of Ken is that he was always sitting down and cutting or shopping food while people talked to him. It seemed like he didn't move around as much and was sort of stationary. Whereas everyone else was all over the beach. I don't think he networked enough and  his personality turned people off. Everyone had the same impresison of him in their exit interviews. He's just a very different guy. He was the typical good looking model guy but when the turnoff personality of Coach. IMO!! I can see why he didn't get any votes.

• Love 1

Coach??  You mean the one who told wild stories about his adventures and tried to control the tribe?  I'm not seeing the resemblance.

As for always sitting down preparing food all the time, we only saw a few minutes of editing, out of 39 days.  Just because we didn't see him moving around doesn't mean he didn't.

"Typical good looking model guy"...who has overcome a speech disability, considers himself socially awkward and a wallflower, writes beautifully about the relationships he has with his daughter and his brother, has lived off the grid in Hawaii, started a foundation to help homeless people...hmmm...

• Love 4

I don't find his exit interviews (the ones I've read, anyway) to be that different than the impression I got of his personality while watching the show.  

Coach??  You mean the one who told wild stories about his adventures and tried to control the tribe?  I'm not seeing the resemblance.

Maybe they edited out the part where Ken recounted when he was kidnapped by a Pygmy tribe who tried to eat his ass and took turns beating him with a club. Oh Coach...good times!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

I don't find his exit interviews (the ones I've read, anyway) to be that different then the impression I got of his personality while watching the show.  

Maybe they edited out the part where Ken recounted when he was kidnapped by a Pygmy tribe who tried to eat his ass and took turns beating him with a club. Oh Coach...good times!

Okay, maybe not the (all) the Coach stories but he was all about honor when he wasn't. Blah! Blah! Blah! I just found him boring before, during & after the show. I'm sure he's very nice but he didn't hold my interest past the physical looking part. 

50 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Okay, maybe not the (all) the Coach stories but he was all about honor when he wasn't. Blah! Blah! Blah! I just found him boring before, during & after the show. I'm sure he's very nice but he didn't hold my interest past the physical looking part. 

Was Coach the one that if he had just admitted that he was full of s*** during the FTC he would have won his season against Sophie?

27 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

Well his game was about being a fisherman & cook, good in challenges, played with loyalty and honour (except voting out Dave), but lacked social strategy, maybe he will try a different approach when he comes back.

I think the jury may not have held voting Dave out against him if he had not gone on at length (I imagine) about honor while his time on the island. Just by that conversation with Will alone he seems the type who give life lectures to people.

Ken seems like a nice dude but lacking self awareness at his age is quite a turn off. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, gator12 said:

Was Coach the one that if he had just admitted that he was full of s*** during the FTC he would have won his season against Sophie?

Yes. Sophie argued that he was her goat, but that was never true. Coach ran that game ruthlessly, but at FTC he just couldn't admit it. He had this bullshit "honor, loyalty, integrity" persona that he thought everyone was buying (they weren't), and when he wouldn't let it go, the jury punished him for it by giving Sophie the win.

5 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Which season was Coach on (his first one)?  I need to watch it again - I did not appreciate the full hilarity at the beginning of the season.

Tocantins.

• Love 3

I sort of see the Coach thing, Coach was like an exaggerated cartoon version, but he and Ken share a kind of unfashionable earnestness. 

The difference is Coach was a fake, his "nobility" and earnestness were a pose for the show.  I do believe Ken was sincere, and at the end his loyalty to his daughter was greater than his loyalty to David.  Understandable, I think.

• Love 6

I don't know if he is one, but Ken has the low-affect, controlled earnestness you sometimes see in western folks practicing Buddhism.  Like a deliberate and practiced humility and compassion that is perhaps hard won. Yes, I think he's for real.  He may be a bit humorless and self-righteous.  But I think he's trying to live a certain way that he believes is noble and spiritual.

I think Coach was just a big phony trying on different stories for effect.

• Love 5

I think it's a mistake to see Coach as phony in that sense.  It's like that line from Breakfast at Tiffany's: “You’re wrong. She is a phony. But on the other hand you’re right. She isn’t a phony because she’s a real phony. She believes all this crap she believes. You can’t talk her out of it.” 

• Love 4

I think Coach and Ken both are probably ok guys that understandably want to be seen as ok guys and both sometimes really miss the mark.  Coach moreso in the edit, for sure.  I do think Ken believes his own act more.  I think even Coach would have the self-awareness to not try to claim he failed at FTC because he's too humble to make a case for himself.  

22 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

The difference is Coach was a fake, his "nobility" and earnestness were a pose for the show.  I do believe Ken was sincere, and at the end his loyalty to his daughter was greater than his loyalty to David.  Understandable, I think.

I think in Coach's case, it's beyond whether it's fake, it's that he wants it to be him so much that fake or not he's going to argue that it's really him, even if it costs him the million. Which he did! And I was very surprised to find myself super impressed by his game until he once again chose the noble card rather than the winning card at FTC. He just auto-sabotaged right there. 

• Love 1