Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Presumed Innocent

After his frustration at mother hiding something from him, I was kind of hoping Norman would go look up Dylan. I hope Norman hasn't forgotten that Dylan hinted pretty strongly at knowing something with his "Maybe someone has been lying to you about something in your life" statement, along with "you should talk to 'mother' about that". I didn't black out and hallucinate that scene, right?

Man, even I was losing patience with the drug business plot, and my interest in what happens to Dylan usually gets me through. Could they have taken any longer to get to that warehouse? I don't understand why we had to watch them drive there. I was like "move it along already!" And how many times did Zane ask "you want to know what we're planning?" Not really, but let's get to it faster if we must, instead of asking that same question a bazillion times.

I did like Emma and Dylan being put in a scene together. But when she gave him crap for treating his mother and brother like shit, I was like "girl, you have no idea what they've put him through."

Norman's DNA matched a semen sample found on Miss Watson? But it's still possible that someone else killed her after Norman left. They're going to need more evidence than this to remove all reasonable doubt.

• Love 2

I don't know why, but during the Emma/Dylan confrontation scene, I was highly amused that apparently someone called over a food truck to the marijuana distribution center.  The town really doesn't give a damn about that type of illegal activity.  Weed shipping employees got to eat!  I'm sure they also get their pizzas delivered right to their door step, without any fuss.

Figured Norman wasn't going to go down for the death, but it does seem to be causing even bigger problems for Norma/Norman now.  Norman knows that Norma is scared of his blackouts, but she still won't tell him anything.  Yeah, this is going to get ugly.  Oh, and now it seems that Norman's DNA matched the semen they found in Miss Watson?  Uh oh!  I still wonder if he actually killed her, but it does sound like they did have sex, which, yikes!  That was highly inappropriate and illegal of you, Miss Watson, unless Norman did force himself on her and killed her.  I guess this will make Romero suspicious of them.  I wonder if we'll be seeing that gung-ho deputy again too.

So, now the drug brother is attacking Nick Ford's warehouses?  I bet Jodie isn't going to like this at all.  Oh, and Dylan got knocked out.  This has been the season of Dylan getting put through a lot of physical abuse.

If this is it for Cody, she had a better ending, then I had predicted.  I still worry that poor Emma is being set-up for a tragedy.

I like that on this show, people we expect to die get to leave without getting killed. First Bradley, now Cody. It's a rarity these days, what with all the killing characters off for shock value that TV shows do all the time. (Walking Dead, I'm looking at you.)

Will this streak continue or is Emma doomed? Time will tell, I guess. In the back of my mind I'm imagining Emma dying of CF and her father taxidermy-ing her corpse in his grief, with Norman assisting because he's the only one who understands and doesn't think this is a weird thing to do.

I don't think Jodi's going to like her brother stirring up trouble, either, but what did she expect to happen when she didn't give Dylan any real authority over him? How was Dylan supposed to stop Zane from doing whatever he wanted?

• Love 2

This is not new information, but good God Norma is an idiot.  So Norman is upset that she is afraid of what he does during his blackouts....so she goes ballistic and yells at him to NEVER ASK ME THAT AGAIN.  Sure Norma...now Norman will never be suspicious about what he does or becomes again when he goes dark.  Idjit.  

Norman's semen was found in Miss Watson.  Eww.  

Emma and Dylan's conversation made me sad because I always felt that Norman's salvation could have been Dylan.  If he had gotten out of that house and away from the bizarre relationship with his mother and lived with Dylan, he might not have turned into Psycho.  I know how this story ends, but I'm intrigued in the ways in which it could have gone another way.  

• Love 1
Norman's DNA matched a semen sample found on Miss Watson? But it's still possible that someone else killed her after Norman left. They're going to need more evidence than this to remove all reasonable doubt.

Yes, but from what I hear about Miss Watson, that was only one of about 370 semen samples they found in her.

I love Sheriff Suddenly Susan! He seems like basically a good guy, but what is his backstory, how did he get so hard-boiled? Next to Norma, he is my favorite character (literally--I love when he is next to Norma).

• Love 1
I don't think Jodi's going to like her brother stirring up trouble, either, but what did she expect to happen when she didn't give Dylan any real authority over him? How was Dylan supposed to stop Zane from doing whatever he wanted?

This!  I realize that Norman/Norma are the main focus of the show but I feel like we need more background on the drug business and its players—soon.  Zane’s actions are so overt (burning Romero’s house, raiding Nick’s warehouse) I don’t understand why Jodi would need Dylan to keep her informed, she’d clearly hear about that stuff. And is she afraid of Zane that she can’t talk to him and reel him in a bit? He is her brother after all, and she gave him the job. I know she said she doesn’t like to get her hands dirty but is her alternative plan to get other parts of her dirty with Dylan instead of just dealing with her insolent brother first hand???

I don't know why, but during the Emma/Dylan confrontation scene, I was highly amused that apparently someone called over a food truck to the marijuana distribution center.  The town really doesn't give a damn about that type of illegal activity.  Weed shipping employees got to eat!  I'm sure they also get their pizzas delivered right to their door step, without any fuss.

LOL!  Apparently the distribution center has a known address because Emma knew right where to find him.

I bet they order the pizzas to the pot fields when they are working security out there. I guess the address is just Morgan Farm…or maybe it’s Green Acres. If you are the delivery boy you hope you don’t get shot and get a blunt as a tip.

I like Dylan, and I even  like Remo, but this drug war story seems like such a waste of time.  I wish it tied in to the main story more because, so far, it just seems like I'm watching a different show.  Hopefully it will come together better when we learn a little bit more about Nick Ford.

On a different note, I just watched two promos for the remainder of the season, and it looks like shit is going to get real! 

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/04/bates-motel-episode-208-meltdown-promo.html

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/04/bates-motel-season-2-remaining-episodes.html

I can't believe there are only 3 more episodes to this season.  I'm so glad this show got renewed for another season. 

• Love 1

Emma laying a guilt trip on Dylan cut right to Norma at the police station and there's the sound of someone opening and closing a door. I was disappointed that it didn't turn out to be Dylan showing up at the police station because the guilt trip got to him. I don't think he should have to after what happened, but oh, I want these characters interacting together again so badly!

They keep saying this is a small town where news travel fast, but somehow Norma and Norman hadn't heard through the grapevine that there was a weed cartel turf war shootout in the middle of town (so they can wonder if Dylan, who they haven't heard from in days, was involved). I swear I saw quite a few "townspeople" extras running away from the gunfire in the background. I know the boss did her best to keep things on the downlow, so no one would know who exactly was in the shootout, but wouldn't a shootout still be big news that can't be covered up completely?

I can't believe Norman accidentally pushing some dude down some stairs is bigger news than a shootout.

I was highly amused that apparently someone called over a food truck to the marijuana distribution center.

If we're going by the geography of where they shot the scenes, the dry dock where they process the weed and the place where Dylan met Emma at the food truck are in the same area (the village of Steveston in Richmond, Canada), but at the opposite ends of that area, a good 20 minute walk apart. The former is at Britannia Heritage Shipyard and the latter is right by Gulf of Georgia Cannery Museum (usually no food truck there, so they must have put one there on purpose for the occasion - there's a food boat/float nearby that makes really good fish and chips, though).

• Love 1
Yes, but from what I hear about Miss Watson, that was only one of about 370 semen samples they found in her.

isnt that way too excessive?. Im not an expert in this kind of things but that number seem way too big for one person. 

I like Dylan, and I even  like Remo, but this drug war story seems like such a waste of time.  I wish it tied in to the main story more because, so far, it just seems like I'm watching a different show.

Judging from the one promo you posted I'd say it's going to come together big time if Dylan does what I think Nick Ford is asking him to do. That should be interesting and I wonder how Jodi will take that. On the other hand, I could be wrong and Nick could be talking about Norman. But I don't mind the drug war story as I think it is deeply embedded in the town and will play into other fractions affecting their lives. We already know that it must play some role in the construction of the highway or Nick wouldn't be interested in Norma. 

The acting on this show is stellar. Freddie Highmore & Vera Farmiga need Emmys.

No kidding.  That scene on the stairway, when Norma went from elation to tears to rage in mere moments was amazing.

If he had gotten out of that house and away from the bizarre relationship with his mother and lived with Dylan, he might not have turned into Psycho.

I think this is the point of the show. There are a lot of "If...then Norman might have been ok" actions in this series. It's a smart move by TPTBs. Because we know how it ends, making Norman a tragic figure really provides the impact when he finally kills Norma. 

The best part is that he's not some weird loner kid. He's got friends. He's had sex with two, pretty hot girls his own age. He was doing ok in school, and could have been on the track team. But then on this episode, you've got Norman basically asking his mother to get him help for what he's clearly realizing is a serious mental illness, and she not only says no, but don't ever talk about it again. He doesn't really stand a chance. 

• Love 4

Isn't taking DNA from a minor who isn't under actual arrest or under actual State custody much less putting it into a data base a little shady?  Then again the entire damn town is a little shady so I give it a pass.  Hey did Norman actually have sex with Miss Watson because my creepy little heart actually ships those two wacky kids.  I would fit right in in that creepy little town, wouldn't I?  

I think this is the point of the show. There are a lot of "If...then Norman might have been ok" actions in this series.

Its the born vs bred juxtaposition; was Norman born bad or was he made that way?  I think the show has been doing a fairly good job about showing that Norman was born with serious mental issues that could have been dealt with if his mother had dealt with them instead of running from them.  

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 1

I think if he went to a therapist for mother issues and got on the right meds for the blackouts, then he would have turned out ok. Like, I said, otherwise, at school, etc., he's an ordinary kid. 

Now, in the episode, that Norma basically said that she's not going to do anything about it, the clock is essentially ticking. It's not like the blackouts are going to stop.

The best part is that he's not some weird loner kid. He's got friends. He's had sex with two, pretty hot girls his own age. He was doing ok in school, and could have been on the track team. But then on this episode, you've got Norman basically asking his mother to get him help for what he's clearly realizing is a serious mental illness, and she not only says no, but don't ever talk about it again. He doesn't really stand a chance.

OMG this. The writers have succeeded in endearing him to me. A teen with a good heart who goes into violent dissociative fugue states when stressed. And Norma refuses to get him help for it. Ugh. 

Was anyone else annoyed that Officer Overachiever ran his DNA?

• Love 3

I don't think Norman killed Miss Watson, but even if he did, he's going to get away with it because this evidence is inadmissible. Not that this show is a crime drama, but taking the DNA samples seemed so egregious that it seems to me TPTB intended us to note this. 

I don't think he did it either, and I agree that the evidence is inadmissible.  I wonder why that deputy was so aggressive in pursuing Norman's DNA.  It almost seemed like she had it out for him for some reason.  I do, however, think once Romero questions him, he will admit to having blackouts.  It will be interesting to see where that goes. 

I got the impression that the over zealous deputy was trying to be super cop, I don't think she cared about Norman per se, but wanted get her man so to speak. It sounded like she was new to the department--didn't she say that her friend at the crime lab used to work under her at said crime lab? Anyway, I just got the impression she was over-eager to do some crime fighting.

• Love 1