Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

3 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Sam is now 11th after Chaopan's parallel bar score. I don't want the Chinese men to medal #TearsofNoMedal. Luckily he's got High Bar and Floor next. Not good events. 

Verniaiev better not win this. I'l be pissed and he'll be the most undeserved gold medalist ever!

Tears of Nothing indeed.  But yeah he's closing on weak events so we'll see.  Hopefully Sam can at least close on a strong Floor routine.

Oleg is doing well but after the team debacle, I just can't with him.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 1

Right now I'm rooting for Kohei or Whitlock to overtake Oleg because really I don't want to him to get gold after scratching out of the team competition. That just rankles me when all of these other guys whose teams were also in the team finals competed. Suck it up, dude.

Edited by catray
  • Love 7

Oh Sam. Stop celebrating your Parallel Bars score. Too little too late. I kinda hope his floor is worse than Monday. I'm sick of his preening and mugging. It was cute when you were and up and comer. Now, you've proven to be an inconsistent headcase. Go away please. I'm hoping for 

#Samfor15th! 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 5
Just now, DawnDavenport said:

Oleg V. Did I spell his name wrong? If so, I don't care. He doesn't deserve the attention.

No i just didn't know his first name, (I just been calling him Oleg), so i saw your post, asked, then CBC said it and I was like oh. Are we #tearsofnothing for him because of the Team thing?

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

No i just didn't know his first name, (I just been calling him Oleg), so i saw your post, asked, then CBC said it and I was like oh. Are we #tearsofnothing for him because of the Team thing?

Yes. I'm also starting #Samfor15th! because I just can't with him anymore. 

• Love 4
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

@Daisy I'm certainly #tearsofnothing at this point. I was really rooting for him, too. I just can't abide by his tactics though. He could have subbed in on every event and deliberately chose not to. All of the others in the AA worked their butts off for their teams. 

just making sure, @PoshSprinkles. yah, I am not liking that he's doing well now, and everytime Kyle/Brenda mention how this is a test because you have to do 24 routines, and I'm like - well, except for Oleg, because he frigging cheated. 

• Love 2

I would've been fine if Ukraine had just dropped out of the final. Even if it was at the last minute and too late for Switzerland to come in and compete. At least then there wouldn't be the show of disrespect that they put on.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Of course they don't, but they're too polite to turn you away, and too poor to build a wall, eh.  ;-)

If y'all bring the snark, and don't mind watching hockey I'll keep all of you at my place. it will be like a slumberparty. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

Patriotism isn't about choreography.  If someone doesn't want to put their hand over their heart (I don't) they have every right not to do so.   It's places like North Korea and the former Soviet Union where people are shamed, forced, threatened, and even jailed if they don't bow or salute the right way or don't wear the right "patriotic" pins on their clothes.  I'd rather not live in a place like North Korea, nor be told to "live somewhere else" just because I don't put my hand on my chest. 

Yes to all this. I was at a baseball game on Sunday in line at a concession stand when the anthem played. I stopped and turned, did the hand on heart thing because it's a habit for me. Other people in line continued ordering their food, left their hats on, etc. On the jumbotron I could see players chewing gum with their hands behind their backs and some staring off into space. I would never presume that those men & women don't love their country. Gabby has represented the U.S. well and critics need to find something else to complain about.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

Ugh. Kohei needs a 16.771 to tie for first. Is Oleg any good on HB? 

Not sure.  I know he was top qualifier in P. Bars.  But yeah at this point, Kohei needs phenomenal bars scores.  Oleg is a full 2 point ahead of Max.

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

If y'all bring the snark, and don't mind watching hockey I'll keep all of you at my place. it will be like a slumberparty. 

I live for Olympic hockey - and curling.  But my sunny SoCal enclave would be bereft without my 2am Canadian screaming every 4 years.  ;-)

• Love 1

I'm thinking tomorrow won't be as exciting as this final is - maybe the competition for silver and bronze, but not gold. I enjoy this one because it's close and it's really great gymnastics. I love Simone and her gymnastics is amazing, but it won't be exciting in the same way.

Oleg V. Did I spell his name wrong? If so, I don't care. He doesn't deserve the attention.

If he wins, I hope he goes swimming in the bay, then walks alone on the beach late at night and then hitches a ride back to the village in the media bus.

• Love 4

Ironically, BTF: this would have been the best Team Drama thing ever. Kohei "steals" the team medal away from Ukraine. Oleg steals the AA title from Kohei. 

now it's ATF and all you want is team Drama to strike in reverse. Too bad Whitlock isn't from Switzerland. it would have been awesome. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

If Oleg gets the same score at quals, Kohei would need over a 16.034 to pass him. If Oleg falls, then he has an opening. 

Yeah, we pretty much need Oleg to screw up in a big way for Kohei to have a shot, given the stingy scoring on HB today. 

eta: I forgot tha they said up front that Oleg is closing out the show, so the pressure is REALLY on Kohei. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

Just curious, but are the NBC commentators giving the side eye to Oleg's shady strategy or not? The BBC folks haven't said anything about it, except for being surprised the other day when he chose not to perform. They are pretty bland as commentators.

That wasn't Kohei. 

Just now, Cherpumple said:

Just curious, but are the NBC commentators giving the side eye to Oleg's shady strategy or not? The BBC folks haven't said anything about it, except for being surprised the other day when he chose not to perform. They are pretty bland as commentators.

No, not a word about the other day's "strategy." 

90.641 final score for Max Whitlock.  I have a bad feeling one of Chinese are going to slip in for tears of bronze.

Welp Brooks, it was nice while it lasted. Pommel Horse never disappoints.  And by never, I mean always.

Edited by kittykat
3 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm wondering if the commentators weren't told to toe the party line on this one. Yesterday on the Daily Dismount, they read through the whole text of Oleg's tweet, and Jon seemingly accepted it--but during the live broadcast he was stunned and horrified. When Courtney suggested it was due to injury, Jon contended that you can still get SOMEONE up there to do the event. So that about-face seems too abrupt to me to think he just accepted Oleg's explanation without question. But I'm sure the FIG would be perfectly happy for no one to talk about this again. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

Chaopan needs 15277 to tie Whitlock. 

And he finishes on floor which Chaopan scored a 13 in qualifying.  We'll see.

And that's officially a NOPE!  

Edited by kittykat
Just now, Jillibean said:

I'm wondering if the commentators weren't told to toe the party line on this one. Yesterday on the Daily Dismount, they read through the whole text of Oleg's tweet, and Jon seemingly accepted it--but during the live broadcast he was stunned and horrified. When Courtney suggested it was due to injury, Jon contended that you can still get SOMEONE up there to do the event. So that about-face seems too abrupt to me to think he just accepted Oleg's explanation without question. But I'm sure the FIG would be perfectly happy for no one to talk about this again. 

Until it happens again in 4 years...which it will if there aren't consequences and the result is a gold AA.

• Love 1