Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, crazydegulady said:

Ladies who've had babies, what presents did you like/ want. One of my friends at work is pregnant and I want to get her a little gift (around £10/ $13) for when she goes on maternity leave and I'm not sure what to get.

one of the things I  appreciated the most was diapers that kiddo wouldn't wear for several months so that when he got to that size I had them already. Even a single package is helpful. I also had someone buy something just for me, a new top I could wear after baby and it was so nice.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Ok first you HAVE to watch Stranger Things it was so good, though you might want to wait bc season 2 isn't out til Halloween and the wait is killing me. 

Second I read Green Mile in the this books that was how my library had it. 

Third as a King fan have you read the Dark Tower series and are you going to see the movie when it comes out. Hubby says flat out no he's not paying to see it too many changes. I'm curious but idk it does look like they changed a lot and I love that set, well everything but the ending UGH!!!

I've read the first two Dark Tower books and just could not get into it, which was really discouraging. I should probably try again.

6 hours ago, ByTor said:

Big Stephen King reader here...well, former reader!  I can't really name a favorite book, it's pretty much a three-way tie:  The Stand, Needful Things, and Dead Zone.  But then I read Mr. Mercedes, Under the Dome, and finally Lisey's Story & I just couldn't take it anymore.  I hated...hated...irrationally hated (did I mention hated?) that Lisey character & her stupid husband SOOO much I was actually rooting for their painful deaths.  Oh, also Bag of Bones...yuck.  I kept waiting for his novels to get better & IMO they didn't so I quit.

Super unpopular opinion, but I love the Under the Dome TV series, that was my big time Summer guilty pleasure show.  I love it so much I'm actually doing a rewatch!

"The Stand" is my all time favorite Stephen King book, up there with all time favorite books ever really. I actually really liked "Under the Dome," silly ending withstanding. I also didn't mind "Mr. Mercedes" but it wasn't his best work by any means. I bought the sequel and then never read it.

Have you read "11.22.63"? IMO it's really excellent. I don't get emotional over books much, but I was all out sobbing more than one time with that one. Hulu made it into a miniseries and completely ruined it, but the book is fantastic.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:40 AM, QuiteCalM said:

Wait, we're talking about Real World/Road Rules challenge? When did it just become "The Challenge"? I must have tuned out by that point.

Paula! HAVE A SANDWICH before you guzzle a box of wine, please!

Coral was angry angry angry.

Tonya....what can we even say?

These are my bottom three too LOL!!

LEAVE ME!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

"Mr. Mercedes" but it wasn't his best work by any means.

One thing pissed me off about Mr. Mercedes...the female character who the cop character was having a thing with...it was written that she was wearing a sailor suit or sailor top or something & that annoyed me, along with the fact that he kept implying how OLD she was when I think she was in her 40s.  Who the flip who isn't a sailor wears sailor suits??? 

22 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Have you read "11.22.63"?

I heard about this on Hulu.  No, I haven't read it.

27 minutes ago, ByTor said:

One thing pissed me off about Mr. Mercedes...the female character who the cop character was having a thing with...it was written that she was wearing a sailor suit or sailor top or something & that annoyed me, along with the fact that he kept implying how OLD she was when I think she was in her 40s.  Who the flip who isn't a sailor wears sailor suits??? 

I heard about this on Hulu.  No, I haven't read it.

Haha, I don't remember that about the sailor suit. And wasn't he older than her? I thought that was weird too. That was one I just kind of read on a whim, and it was an easy read so whatever. Nothing riveting at all.

52 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

I've read the first two Dark Tower books and just could not get into it, which was really discouraging. I should probably try again.

"The Stand" is my all time favorite Stephen King book, up there with all time favorite books ever really. I actually really liked "Under the Dome," silly ending withstanding. I also didn't mind "Mr. Mercedes" but it wasn't his best work by any means. I bought the sequel and then never read it.

Have you read "11.22.63"? IMO it's really excellent. I don't get emotional over books much, but I was all out sobbing more than one time with that one. Hulu made it into a miniseries and completely ruined it, but the book is fantastic.

The Stand is my fave SK book too and I love the mini series, it seems to be one of the better adaptations of his writing, though Green Mile is good too, actually probably a better adaptation. I still need to read Under the Dome.

I think 11.22.63 is my second fave of his books. Hubby read it then talked me into it. We tried the show when our library got it on DVD, yeah we made it through one episode and noped our way right out of it after that, just way too many changes, which is my fear with Dark Tower.

I actually prefer the 90 something tv miniseries of The Shining over the movie bc it stays truer to the book. Hubby and I argued about it bc neither of us had read the book at that point (the croquet mallet vs the axe) it lead to both of us reading it. 

30 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Haha, I don't remember that about the sailor suit. And wasn't he older than her? I thought that was weird too. That was one I just kind of read on a whim, and it was an easy read so whatever. Nothing riveting at all.

Yeah, it was, I remember finishing it really quick.  And yes, he was supposed to be older & he made it sound like they were having geriatric sex haha.

I got further than you did with The Dark Tower.  I read and loved the 1st 3 books, but then couldn't make my way through the 4th.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Yeah, it was, I remember finishing it really quick.  And yes, he was supposed to be older & he made it sound like they were having geriatric sex haha.

I got further than you did with The Dark Tower.  I read and loved the 1st 3 books, but then couldn't make my way through the 4th.

4 was a tough read. 5-7 are better, more like 1-3

• Love 1

@crazydegulady diapers and wipes!! And if I'm being picky, size one or size two diapers, cause my little chunk only fit into newborn size for about two weeks. Also fragrance free wipes, mostly because when you use them all the time your hands take on that smell and nobody wants to smell like Eau de Huggies. 

@ByTor and @twinkietwin94 I am reading the Dark Tower series now and I am hooked! I hope to get thru all the books before my maternity leave is up. Did you ever watch Haven? It was based on The Colorado Kid and I freaking loved that series!!! (Except season 4. We pretend that season didn't happen)

6 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I never heard of it.  Is it on Netflix?

Yes it is! It's five fairly short seasons (maybe 6?) and it's awesome. You'll see lots of allusions to SK's other works throughout the whole series. 

(edited)
23 minutes ago, spazette said:

Yes it is! It's five fairly short seasons (maybe 6?) and it's awesome. You'll see lots of allusions to SK's other works throughout the whole series. 

Hmmm I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, how's motherhood treating you, @spazette?  Hope all is well!

Edited by ByTor
5 hours ago, crazydegulady said:

Ladies who've had babies, what presents did you like/ want. One of my friends at work is pregnant and I want to get her a little gift (around £10/ $13) for when she goes on maternity leave and I'm not sure what to get.

Diapers! Wubba nubs! Anything that's on her registry! Baby board books! My all time favorite baby book, "On the Night You Were Born".

42 minutes ago, spazette said:

Never heard of it but just told hubby, I think we'll be checking it out. We've been looking for something to watch. Which DT book are you on now?

Stranger Things is actually quite good.  It is very interesting, believable, and is pretty much without graphic sex and 4 letter words.  Hopefully the second season will not go off kilter.  I did watch the first season of Orange is the NB but the second season was just too much sex for me.  A good storyline doesn't need that much sensationalism.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Stranger Things is actually quite good.  It is very interesting, believable, and is pretty much without graphic sex and 4 letter words.  Hopefully the second season will not go off kilter.  I did watch the first season of Orange is the NB but the second season was just too much sex for me.  A good storyline doesn't need that much sensationalism.

And I don't want you to take this wrong, it is genuinely meant as a compliment with absolutely NO backhand.....but you're adorable.

giphy.gif

• Love 5
1 minute ago, parrotfeathers said:

That's an adorable little conure!  That particular species has wonderful pet qualities.

I was actually going to ask you....do you have parrots or do you just love them?

I loved "The Stand", "IT" and two of his short stories "The Mist" and "The Langoliers".  The television adaptations for three of the four were AMAZING and Tim Curry was wonderfully creepy as Pennywise.  I don't think I'll see the new "IT" because it looks to be going in a different direction that I don't think I'd appreciate.  Darabont's version of the "The Mist" was decent, but I felt it took away the mystery and the true creepiness of the short story.  I might watch the television series to see if they did the story justice, but I'm still made at the movie's ending.  That just made me mad at the whole movie and I never rewatched it.

I did like a few of Dean Koontz's books, specifically "The Servants of Twilight", "Watchers", and "Darkfall".  The others I could take or leave because they all started to seem the same after a while.  There were several movies based on his works, but most of them had too much changed about the characters/storylines to make them anything more then laughable to me.  I think there was only one movie that actually turned out pretty decently and that was "Phantoms."

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I loved The Langoliers!  Crazy Balki was worth it :)

OMG CRAZY BALKI. I was gonna say, him slooooowly ripping paper will never NOT make every hair on my head stand on end. SHIVERS.

• Love 2
(edited)
40 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

OMG CRAZY BALKI. I was gonna say, him slooooowly ripping paper will never NOT make every hair on my head stand on end. SHIVERS.

Is it bad that I thought Balki was pretty hot?  Should I hide somewhere? :)

Edited by ByTor
1 hour ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Never heard of it but just told hubby, I think we'll be checking it out. We've been looking for something to watch. Which DT book are you on now?

Almost to the end of The Drawing Of The Three! I would be farther along but the Crotch Fruit likes to keep me pretty occupied. ?

2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Hmmm I'll have to give it a try.

By the way, how's motherhood treating you, @spazette?  Hope all is well!

It's awesome! The little man is the coolest DIY project I've ever done. 

• Love 2

I thought it was well done.  Kate Maberly was Dinah and was also Mary Lennox in the 1993 version of "The Secret Garden".  I still prefer the Hallmark Hall of Fame version of "The Secret Garden".  It was filmed at Highclere Castle (the same place as "Downton Abbey") and stars a few names you might recognize . . . Barret Oliver ("The Neverending Story" among other things), Colin Firth and Derek Jacobi.  It's my absolute FAVORITE version of the movie.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ByTor said:

Is it bad that I thought Balki was pretty hot?  Should I hide somewhere? :)

HAHA!! I mean, I just saw him on some reality show in the early 2000s, can't remember what, and I just thought he was SO CREEPY. It ruined it for me.

9 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I loved "The Stand", "IT" and two of his short stories "The Mist" and "The Langoliers".  The television adaptations for three of the four were AMAZING and Tim Curry was wonderfully creepy as Pennywise.  I don't think I'll see the new "IT" because it looks to be going in a different direction that I don't think I'd appreciate.  Darabont's version of the "The Mist" was decent, but I felt it took away the mystery and the true creepiness of the short story.  I might watch the television series to see if they did the story justice, but I'm still made at the movie's ending.  That just made me mad at the whole movie and I never rewatched it.

I did like a few of Dean Koontz's books, specifically "The Servants of Twilight", "Watchers", and "Darkfall".  The others I could take or leave because they all started to seem the same after a while.  There were several movies based on his works, but most of them had too much changed about the characters/storylines to make them anything more then laughable to me.  I think there was only one movie that actually turned out pretty decently and that was "Phantoms."

The movie was good, but like you said, the ending was just stupid. You CAN'T do that to your audience and not expect them to turn on you. And turn we did. So many others just hate the movie based on the ending. Sad, I thought the body of the movie was pretty decent.

Marcia Gay Harden was amazing at playing one of those people you encounter in life who makes it easy to loathe them.

The series is ok. It's not grabbing us. We watched the first two or three. I just loved the story so much, I read it so many times, and I had such a vivid mind picture of it that anything else pales compared to what my mind created, know what I mean?

23 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Ok first you HAVE to watch Stranger Things it was so good, though you might want to wait bc season 2 isn't out til Halloween and the wait is killing me. 

Second I read Green Mile in the this books that was how my library had it. 

Third as a King fan have you read the Dark Tower series and are you going to see the movie when it comes out. Hubby says flat out no he's not paying to see it too many changes. I'm curious but idk it does look like they changed a lot and I love that set, well everything but the ending UGH!!!

Ditto.

giphy.gif

• Love 1
10 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

OMG the ending of The Mist just pissed me off soooo much!!!! Hubby too, we'll watch it when it's on up to that point then we turn it off lol. We've been talking about watching the series to see what we think.

10 hours ago, spazette said:

Almost to the end of The Drawing Of The Three! I would be farther along but the Crotch Fruit likes to keep me pretty occupied. ?

It's awesome! The little man is the coolest DIY project I've ever done. 

When you get to Wizard and Glass be forewarned it can be tough to read but it's an interesting story and the series picks up again in book 5. There are Dark Tower graphic novels btw, I know W&G was done that way though they're not called W&G

Supposedly, King like what Darabont did with the ending and wished he'd done it that way with the short story, but I don't think the short story would have been as good or resonated with as many people if he had.  I think I'll wait and see what King REALLY says about it in a few years.  Supposedly, he really liked the first iteration of "The Shining" but I've heard lately that he now absolutely HATES it because of what Kubrick did to it.  Sort of a "buyer's remorse" type of thing.  King seems to be really happy with how things have gone with most of the movies/shows based on things he's written (Maximum Overdrive being a notable exception), but "The Shining" is a hard one to bring from book to screen because a lot of it's internal.  Something like that has to be done carefully and thoughtfully just to get it close to right and no one's done it yet.  I think it has to be a mini-series type,, along the lines of "The Stand" because both previous iterations have tried to cram so much into a limited amount of time.

William Hope Hodgson has a few stories I would LOVE to see turned into movies/show if done right.  "The House on the Borderland" has officially spooked me in a way horror stories haven't done in years.  "The Nightland" is a story I'd recommend to everyone just because it's SO good (some might find the language a WEE bit tough, but not overly so, I think) because of the blend of sci-fi and horror, and "The Boats of the "Glen Carrig'" is one that is interesting, being more of a sea-faring adventure story, but, again, its style may be hard to read.  And to think that all of these were written between 1905 and 1912.  I highly recommend these to whomever might be interested.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, EricaShadows said:

Supposedly, King like what Darabont did with the ending and wished he'd done it that way with the short story, but I don't think the short story would have been as good or resonated with as many people if he had.  I think I'll wait and see what King REALLY says about it in a few years.  Supposedly, he really liked the first iteration of "The Shining" but I've heard lately that he now absolutely HATES it because of what Kubrick did to it.  Sort of a "buyer's remorse" type of thing.  King seems to be really happy with how things have gone with most of the movies/shows based on things he's written (Maximum Overdrive being a notable exception), but "The Shining" is a hard one to bring from book to screen because a lot of it's internal.  Something like that has to be done carefully and thoughtfully just to get it close to right and no one's done it yet.  I think it has to be a mini-series type,, along the lines of "The Stand" because both previous iterations have tried to cram so much into a limited amount of time.

William Hope Hodgson has a few stories I would LOVE to see turned into movies/show if done right.  "The House on the Borderland" has officially spooked me in a way horror stories haven't done in years.  "The Nightland" is a story I'd recommend to everyone just because it's SO good (some might find the language a WEE bit tough, but not overly so, I think) because of the blend of sci-fi and horror, and "The Boats of the "Glen Carrig'" is one that is interesting, being more of a sea-faring adventure story, but, again, its style may be hard to read.  And to think that all of these were written between 1905 and 1912.  I highly recommend these to whomever might be interested.

Kubrick had no intention of speaking to King's vision in the film adaptation of The Shining. He had his own vision.  The stories are similar in that they share a title and bones, and then their paths diverge sharply. King hated Kubrick's film, Kubrick flat out didn't care. Kubrick even met with King and basically said yeah yeah we'll do it your way and went on to do whatever the hell he wanted.  

I love the movie for Kubrick's storytelling genius and the book for King's. The mini series was much closer to the details of King's story line, but I agree with you, it wasn't done well. 

Interesting documentaries on Kubrick's movie are the one his daughter shot during the filming which gives us an all-access view of Jack and Shelly's character development on-set (who says no to the director's 17 year old daughter?) and a film called 'room 237' which discusses different theories about Kubrick's TRUE intended subliminal message within the storytelling. Kubrick fans.... We love to debate that shit.

ETA : Doctor Sleep was amazing. 

Edited by QuiteCalM
1 hour ago, QuiteCalM said:

Kubrick had no intention of speaking to King's vision in the film adaptation of The Shining. He had his own vision.  The stories are similar in that they share a title and bones, and then their paths diverge sharply. King hated Kubrick's film, Kubrick flat out didn't care. Kubrick even met with King and basically said yeah yeah we'll do it your way and went on to do whatever the hell he wanted.  

I love the movie for Kubrick's storytelling genius and the book for King's. The mini series was much closer to the details of King's story line, but I agree with you, it wasn't done well. 

Interesting documentaries on Kubrick's movie are the one his daughter shot during the filming which gives us an all-access view of Jack and Shelly's character development on-set (who says no to the director's 17 year old daughter?) and a film called 'room 237' which discusses different theories about Kubrick's TRUE intended subliminal message within the storytelling. Kubrick fans.... We love to debate that shit.

ETA : Doctor Sleep was amazing.

I loved it too. I have some books to reread.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

Last night I dreamed I was married to Peyton Manning and I was like "oh good! The football parties are going to be amazing!". 

That is all. 

Ugh, that face though. ?

EGMzF6W.gif

• Love 3

I got to the city at 11 am this morning and I'm finally leaving lol I went to the mets game and died of heat ??

6 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

Last night I dreamed I was married to Peyton Manning and I was like "oh good! The football parties are going to be amazing!". 

That is all. 

Eli for the win. 

Sorry...

• Love 1
On 6/30/2017 at 8:41 PM, QuiteCalM said:

I was actually going to ask you....do you have parrots or do you just love them?

Yes I have had parrots or about 30 years now.  Used to raise lots of chicks but most of them now are just retired due to age.  The avatar is a red-fronted macaw baby.  I am feeding two of those now.

• Love 2
On 7/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, QuiteCalM said:

That is all. 

I dreamed I was married to Robert Plant.  Someone asked me why I was married to someone so old, my answer was "He's not old, he's a legend, AND he's awesome in bed."  OK then :)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I dreamed I was married to Robert Plant.  Someone asked me why I was married to someone so old, my answer was "He's not old, he's a legend, AND he's awesome in bed."  OK then :)

Priorities.

• Love 3
(edited)

@ByTor the only reason I haven't responded is because I'm speechless. I truly am rendered speechless. All I can think of is his ten minute vocal screaming solos in "whole lotta love" and wonder......

giphy.gif

@spazette I moved this to small talk so we didn't get in dutch with the mods. Your post CRACKED me up! If we're talking Anthony Ramos, can we at least pretend I'm your mom and bring him to camp together? At night, we can get a sitter and you can head out with Gam Gam to watch me cougar up to the bartender and eventually snuggle up my size 14 bod in me size 10 leopard dress with her box of white zinfandel. "Nigh nigh baby, gam gamz gonnnnn Be a DeeSeesee damarraw"

@parrotfeathers I've heard parrots are SUPER smart. My favorite birds are crows, and ravens too. Crows are so incredibly intelligent and have an entire social networking protocol. They're just amazing.

Edited by QuiteCalM
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

@ByTor the only reason I haven't responded is because I'm speechless. I truly am rendered speechless. All I can think of is his ten minute vocal screaming solos in "whole lotta love" and wonder......

giphy.gif

@spazette I moved this to small talk so we didn't get in dutch with the mods. Your post CRACKED me up! If we're talking Anthony Ramos, can we at least pretend I'm your mom and bring him to camp together? At night, we can get a sitter and you can head out with Gam Gam to watch me cougar up to the bartender and eventually snuggle up my size 14 bod in me size 10 leopard dress with her box of white zinfandel. "Nigh nigh baby, gam gamz gonnnnn Be a DeeSeesee damarraw"

@parrotfeathers I've heard parrots are SUPER smart. My favorite birds are crows, and ravens too. Crows are so incredibly intelligent and have an entire social networking protocol. They're just amazing.

Um, wat? White zin? What happened to Chardonnay? I'm shook.

(I'm currently drinking Chardonnay. Boxed Chardonnay to be exact. But it's Bota Box so it's GOOD boxed wine.)

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, spazette said:

@QuiteCalM deal. But only after I'm done breastfeeding so I can join the Franzia fueled shenanigans. @Oranaiche (Ora-naych-ee, when I'm buzzing) you can join us but only if you ditch that classy bota box. I aint paying no $11 for a box of wine. 

Hahaha I'm loving all these interpretations of my screenname. My $11 boxed wine is only making it funnier. But I do as I'm told. I'll consume whatever boxed wine you put in front of me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, QuiteCalM said:

@Oranaiche how's your head today girl?

You're so sweet for asking. I'm impressed with myself for only sending you one drunk PM last night. My head is as fantastic anyone's head could be after consuming three oversized glasses of wine (when he or she typically drinks very minimally).

UObdBbb.gif

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

You're so sweet for asking. I'm impressed with myself for only sending you one drunk PM last night. My head is as fantastic anyone's head could be after consuming three oversized glasses of wine (when he or she typically drinks very minimally).

UObdBbb.gif

OMG I'm super proud of you too!! 

Also this guy is one of my favorite characters ever! 

• Love 1