Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I spent the time between 14 years of age and November of 2008 working either retail or food service with stops in random short term positions.  It was my retail experience that got me into the "position from H*LL", but that position set me up for the job I currently have.   I'm so glad that I got out of there and am plugging away where I am.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed because budget cuts are looming for the whole company that I work for and I don't know where the ax will fall next.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1

Just ordered new litter boxes in order to avoid having to dump/clean the current ones. I JUST. DON'T. WANNA. #LazyAsFuuuuu #ShitsGross

(Did I do hashtags right?)

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

HAHAHA!! Have you ever tried the self-cleaning ones?? Do they work? I have dogs but I see them and I'm like, that's it! Imma teach the damn dogs to crap in those!

My mom bought a self cleaning one when I was in high school, and it kind of worked, but not that well. I stick with the cheap plastic ones and give them a really serious hand cleaning and then run them through the dish washer (with nothing else in there, to be clear) every couple of weeks. But I just can't right now. I CAN'T.

• Love 1

If I am feeling bad and know it will just get worse by continuing to rip and run, I will most definitely call off the first day or two to get myself healthier.  A lot of times rest is what I need the most.  It usually happens when I'm run down. But I have coworkers who will come in sick as heck trying to save a day of leave and then end up sicker and end up two or three days off anyway.  I keep telling them to just tackle it the first day or two when it is not too bad and come back healthier. 

Now I don't have anything major.  I'm just talking the occasional bug or bad cold.  But that day I rest, take fluids, soup, medicine, hot toddy and REST.  I know my body is telling me to slow down.

Edited by VintageJ
  • Love 2

Last year I had the worst cold/bronchitis of my life that would NOT go away.  When I decided to swap cold medicine for scotch in my peppermint tea, I felt much better!

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2

@VintageJ I hope you get to feeling better soon! So much sickness going around.

My grandmother has not been feeling well and she finally went to the doctor today. She has the flu. I'm really worried, because she's 90, about to be 91 in three days. I hope she's able to get well quickly.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Fingers crossed!

Thanks! I'm trying to be optimistic but this is taking forever lol

On 3/9/2017 at 10:29 AM, woodscommaelle said:

The job search: I don't want to work all day (for pennies) and then come home and do more work looking for a job. My biggest issue right now (actually always) is figuring out what I want to do. 

Me too! Girl, we should talk!

On 3/9/2017 at 11:20 AM, woodscommaelle said:

Crafty stuff ;)  Knitting, drawing/doodling, making jewelry.  My dream is to open a cute little boutique but my mom is in the business (she sells stationary, gifts, etc) and all of her stores that she sells to are closing/have closed.  Everything is online.  So I thought I'd sell some of my scarves online but that would only be a hobby.  And I have zero business sense at all.  One of my best friends moved from CO to WA 7 years ago.  She's the smartest person I know.  I want her to move back and we can open something together.  In her words:  it would be an 'Art/photo studio slash wine bar slash craft beer slash cat house.'  We could soooooo do it.  I know it.  And we could call it 'Slash.' :)  But I think it should also be a dispensary!!!  Wine for her, weed for me.

Have a degree in Elementary Education, but I have no classroom management and it's been a long time since I was in the classroom.  Way too much experience in Customer Service.  I would love to work for a non-profit but those don't pay much.  But I feel like my job needs to be making a difference in the world (not processing a return shipping label bc our warehouse effed up your order!!!).  Helping people who NEED the help.  I've done some volunteer work with a few diff non-profits but haven't found just the right one.  I was thinking to start volunteering with Jewish Family Services....I just need to get my shit together and DO IT!.

I’ve been on the business side of creatives my entire career. Let’s talk.

On 3/6/2017 at 7:48 PM, Oranaiche said:

Haha! We're synced up! I always know my friend is coming when I start craving sweets, because I'm normally a salty snacker. I'll eat salt and vinegar chips until I can't feel my mouth. ?

Ha! For Lent, I gave up social media. This is the only place I've had human interaction. I gave up

facebook, twitter, Snapchat, insta, all of it. I don't even click on pics right now. It's hard!! I don't drink, and right now I'm trying to lose weight and I always cheat so I chose something I felt i needed to get away from.

Edited by Hummingbird24
I wrote choose not chose like a dumb ass
  • Love 2

I put this in 123 because I am so frustrated! I want to exercise. I need to. I'm about 10ish pounds above where I want to be. I try to eat right, but my cravings for sweets are relentless! I have a whole mouthful of sweet teeth. I really want to exercise; however, I had the stroke. I have other health issues that make exercising painful. I tried everything. I want to dance, but idk if I'll ever be there again. ?I have a bike, but I have a knee issue. I have a bad ankle, too. When I dance, I usually end up in the floor due to ankle giving out.

it's annoying because I got myself out of a wheelchair, taught myself to write with my right hand after the stroke, relearned a lot of things, but I can't do this!

sorry for venting, but any suggestions are welcome.

T

Hummingbird, have you tried tai chi? I do a form called yang style, and besides the fun of "dancing with a sword", it's beautiful and peaceful and as much of a kickass workout as you like. Check out Pauline Bao on you tube- i do the 42, 40, 24, 32 Sword and 36 Fan Forms. 

At the very beginning, i couldn't do much, and a year later can do a LOT. Take your time, put on some Everly Bros or lionel Ritchie, and try it? xo

• Love 1
On 3/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

They say you're not really hungry unless you're willing to eat vegetables. Well, I just treated a tomato like a hand fruit. Damn diet. And Guy Fieri is on eating fried chicken and freaking Cuban food. Has anyone ever HAD Cuban food? REAL Cuban food? Ropa Vieja? Tostones? GOD it's phenomenal. Thank you for letting me get that out. I've lost 6 lbs in two days and I don't wanna undo it, so I'll stick with my hand fruit.

6 lbs in two days Holy Crap! I can't decide if I want to know how you did that or not. I'm down 5 lbs in 3 weeks. Trying to make small changes but damn I want this extra weight gone. 

10 hours ago, Hummingbird24 said:

I put this in 123 because I am so frustrated! I want to exercise. I need to. I'm about 10ish pounds above where I want to be. I try to eat right, but my cravings for sweets are relentless! I have a whole mouthful of sweet teeth. I really want to exercise; however, I had the stroke. I have other health issues that make exercising painful. I tried everything. I want to dance, but idk if I'll ever be there again. ?I have a bike, but I have a knee issue. I have a bad ankle, too. When I dance, I usually end up in the floor due to ankle giving out.

it's annoying because I got myself out of a wheelchair, taught myself to write with my right hand after the stroke, relearned a lot of things, but I can't do this!

sorry for venting, but any suggestions are welcome.

T

You can do this!! ??

12 hours ago, Hummingbird24 said:

I try to eat right, but my cravings for sweets are relentless! I have a whole mouthful of sweet teeth.

if you are stressed out, your body is probably flooded with cortisol, and giving you those cravings - your body is trying to "produce" the energy it doesn't have. I don't have much to offer beyond my best thoughts and heart-hope that things get to be easier for you, but if you can get more sleep, that may help a bit.  Also, don't try to hammer your cravings out, or it could be counterproductive - but maybe try to eat something like a cup of strawberries with Splenda, and drink a bottle of water with them, before you eat what else you've been craving.  Also, if ice cream plays into your cravings, try Halo Top - I didn't think there was any way a low cal high protein ice cream could be any good but it's actually amazing.  I like the strawberry kind, and it's got 70 calories and 9 grams of protein per serving (280 cals/36 grams for an entire pint).  Good luck *hugs*

• Love 1

Snowmaggedon is once again coming and all signs point to work being closed, but they haven't announced it yet.

7 hours ago, raindancer said:

if you are stressed out, your body is probably flooded with cortisol, and giving you those cravings - your body is trying to "produce" the energy it doesn't have. I don't have much to offer beyond my best thoughts and heart-hope that things get to be easier for you, but if you can get more sleep, that may help a bit.  Also, don't try to hammer your cravings out, or it could be counterproductive - but maybe try to eat something like a cup of strawberries with Splenda, and drink a bottle of water with them, before you eat what else you've been craving.  Also, if ice cream plays into your cravings, try Halo Top - I didn't think there was any way a low cal high protein ice cream could be any good but it's actually amazing.  I like the strawberry kind, and it's got 70 calories and 9 grams of protein per serving (280 cals/36 grams for an entire pint).  Good luck *hugs*

All great advice! And YES to Halo Top!!! they finallyyyyyy started selling it in stores around me! I was so excited I bought like four different flavors lol  I can't believe how good it is for the macros! 

• Love 2
On March 10, 2017 at 0:57 PM, Oranaiche said:

@VintageJ I hope you get to feeling better soon! So much sickness going around.

My grandmother has not been feeling well and she finally went to the doctor today. She has the flu. I'm really worried, because she's 90, about to be 91 in three days. I hope she's able to get well quickly.

Thank you. How is your grandmother?  I hope she's doing better.

On 3/11/2017 at 8:08 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Also, this is currently one of my favorite commercials.

This is my favorite...I will never get sick of it!

I tried the Halo Top in pistachio...I was super disappointed.  Maybe I was just too excited, and it unfortunately didn't meet my expectations.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, woodscommaelle said:

The job search: I don't want to work all day (for pennies) and then come home and do more work looking for a job. My biggest issue right now (actually always) is figuring out what I want to do. 

I'm with you Woods ... I have made very little momentum and the small moves I've made have been disheartening at best!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, ByTor said:

There was actually a woman at a company I used to work for who would put "sick day" days in advance on her Outlook calendar!!! 

sad but true .. I use to do that because I want to see a doctor but I need to give my boss advance warning and I don't want to take a vacation day.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, ByTor said:

This is my favorite...I will never get sick of it!

I tried the Halo Top in pistachio...I was super disappointed.  Maybe I was just too excited, and it unfortunately didn't meet my expectations.

I was psyched for Halo too as the ladies at Weight Watchers raved about it.  Meh.  I bought two containers and quickly threw them both out.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I'm with you Woods ... I have made very little momentum and the small moves I've made have been disheartening at best!

sad but true .. I use to do that because I want to see a doctor but I need to give my boss advance warning and I don't want to take a vacation day.

Yeah, but a doctor's appointment is totally different, I can accept that as "sick."  This woman used to brag about what she got away with.

8 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I was psyched for Halo too as the ladies at Weight Watchers raved about it.  Meh.  I bought two containers and quickly threw them both out.

It tasted like flavored sugar water to me & definitely (IMO) was not worth $5.99 for a pint.  I thought this would be my answer to guilt-free ice cream, but then I discovered, there is no such thing :(

In other news, the other day I ordered a Shark from BJs (specifically Shark Rotator UV560 Lift-Away Pro HEPA).  Of course it's scheduled to be delivered by UPS tomorrow, which means it probably won't be because of the stupid snow.  I was looking forward to using it, too! :(  

Edited by ByTor

Merp. My hopes are semi dashed for this job. I'm either in the top 2 or not getting the job. Someone's meeting with my boss, which I was told is the last step and there would probably only be 2 people meeting with him.

48 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

On no, I'm sure I'm not!! I allow myself one cheat meal a week. Which is TONIGHT! But even then it's just larger portions of what I normally eat.....tonight it's a turkey hoagie (with a REAL white hoagie roll lol!) with extra veggies and italian dressing and a serving of reduced fat chips. AND CHARDONNAY (watch out folks). But I've prepped and portioned my food for the week and so I just grab and go. It makes me a lot less apt to cheat. And at my new job I'm literally constantly in motion. I average 29 floors a day on my fitbit! I'd reached 5,000 steps by 10:00 am, so it's been in my favor thus far :-) Plus, I JUST started, so you know how it flies off in the beginning and then screeches to an underwhelming halt.......

HAHAH!! I'd do that on purpose to my in-laws.....

I need to pm you and get your email so we can be fitbit buddies

• Love 1
4 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Merp. My hopes are semi dashed for this job. I'm either in the top 2 or not getting the job. Someone's meeting with my boss, which I was told is the last step and there would probably only be 2 people meeting with him.

Good luck @heatherrrrz.  Still, unless the two people chosen are talking about it in front of you or you know for a fact that two people have been contacted to come in (and both show up), then you don't know for sure that you're out of the loop.  Variants of those two things happened to me.  The person literally right next to me (I worked in a two-person cubicle) got the call for a second interview for a position we'd both applied to while I was right there and our boss didn't bother to tell me that I wasn't going to get a call, but that they weren't going to tell me until AFTER the second interviews had been conducted and had offered someone the position.  In another instance, I found out that interviews were being held for a position I had applied for by seeing a sign on the door of that particular office.  The fact that they didn't even let the people they turned down with a "We're sorry, but you won't be moving on to the interview stage.  Thank you for trying." email was what bothered me most.  Still, they got burned in that the person they hired started coming in late, leaving early, taking long lunches, almost hiding needed paperwork from coworkers, then leaving with barely any notice on to another position once he knew that he was thatclose to being fired. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  *Breaks out some of the good stuff* Raising a glass to you!

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Good luck @heatherrrrz.  Still, unless the two people chosen are talking about it in front of you or you know for a fact that two people have been contacted to come in (and both show up), then you don't know for sure that you're out of the loop.  Variants of those two things happened to me.  The person literally right next to me (I worked in a two-person cubicle) got the call for a second interview for a position we'd both applied to while I was right there and our boss didn't bother to tell me that I wasn't going to get a call, but that they weren't going to tell me until AFTER the second interviews had been conducted and had offered someone the position.  In another instance, I found out that interviews were being held for a position I had applied for by seeing a sign on the door of that particular office.  The fact that they didn't even let the people they turned down with a "We're sorry, but you won't be moving on to the interview stage.  Thank you for trying." email was what bothered me most.  Still, they got burned in that the person they hired started coming in late, leaving early, taking long lunches, almost hiding needed paperwork from coworkers, then leaving with barely any notice on to another position once he knew that he was thatclose to being fired. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  *Breaks out some of the good stuff* Raising a glass to you!

Thanks for the well wishes! Sucks that happened to you, it's so rude that they didn't even let you know. My HR manager said she'll update me mid week, so maybe tomorrow depending on if an interview today was scheduled since we closed for the storm.

Sending happy to all of us looking to make a change.

I had the weirdest dream last night: I met Kelli Finglass and Jinelle.  It was just so odd.  I should have written it down when I woke up but I was so groggy I thought I might go back to sleep. And now some details are missing.  I need to sort it out because it may mean something...what I can’t imagine but usually they mean something.

• Love 6

Well, there was some encounter with this older man...maybe he had some kind of accident. We were walking to some place that I cannot remember.  it was dark and almost raining and while walking I realized that it was supposed to be NYC (I lived in Manhattan for 28 years so sometimes it comes up even though I never go back).  We come upon this small hotel on some side street and as we are walking by I see DCC signs and people wearing DCC tee shirts.  There are guys and then I see Kelli in the middle of these people.  She is wearing her hair in a pony tail and the DCC tee. Very casual.  

I want to jump on her and give her hug, scream, laugh, etc. but someone else is talking to her and she is not paying much attention to what else is happening around her.  Then they go inside and we follow them into some kind of room that has DCC signs and people are setting up for something. We stick around (I still have no idea who this guy is). I get to talk to Kelli but I have no recollection what we talked about.  I see Jinelle, we didn’t actually meet.  I can’t remember any other cheerleaders in the room but there were some.  

Mostly, I have stress dreams (the story of my life) and I am always trying to get somewhere, trying to do something and always having something getting in the way.  So this fits.  

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

When we actually met in real life, I was with friends and I was asking them, rather insistently, where we knew him from. Who he was at work, how we knew him. We didn't. None of us had ever met him, we didn't even work in the same city, and we didn't have a single mutual friend. But we spoke to each other like we had known each other forever.....

This is really great.  Thanks for sharing this. :0]

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 1

Y'all. I love drama on television, but I despise it in real life. It's so baffling to me that some people just can't keep their mouths shut about anything and just lie through their teeth pathologically, let alone people who are TWICE MY AGE. Like, I'm sorry, but by the time you're in your early sixties, shouldn't you be over that type of behavior?

Not to be an ageist or anything, but the woman I'm referring to is the same age as my mother, and I just can't imagine my mother ever being so immature, petty, and plain stupid.

• Love 3
On 3/13/2017 at 9:01 AM, LaurenBrook said:

All great advice! And YES to Halo Top!!! they finallyyyyyy started selling it in stores around me! I was so excited I bought like four different flavors lol  I can't believe how good it is for the macros! 

seriously, I compared it to my beloved Chobani Flips for calories/protein content, and it's actually better on both counts.  I couldn't believe it, but I'm not mad about it ?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Y'all. I love drama on television, but I despise it in real life. It's so baffling to me that some people just can't keep their mouths shut about anything and just lie through their teeth pathologically, let alone people who are TWICE MY AGE. Like, I'm sorry, but by the time you're in your early sixties, shouldn't you be over that type of behavior?

Not to be an ageist or anything, but the woman I'm referring to is the same age as my mother, and I just can't imagine my mother ever being so immature, petty, and plain stupid.

I'm so sorry to hear that....immaturity and pettiness are always nasty, but I think it comes as more of a shock sometimes when it comes from people who should know better.  Or just BE better.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I understand those, I still have those too. Anytime I'm in flux in my life, my dreams reflect it. If the waters are still I'll get like, these "warning" dreams sometimes. I think it's that my brain has picked up on something while I'm awake that didn't register with me at the time, and so when I'm asleep, my brain is sort of going "Hey, did you hear that?", and it reminds me. My brain/dreams are extremely interesting LOL. As far back as I can remember my dreams have been, just, big and sort of a sixth sense. I realize that doesn't sound terribly sane but I figure, why start now.

That’s genius.  I wish my brain would warn me about shit I missed when I was conscious.  You are a head doctor’s wet dream!

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

This is my generation....minus 5 years or so. Real Housewives are the mentality of many women, no matter what age.  We are what are.  Some change and grow, some have their 22-year old personality in a 60-something body.  It’s astonishing but there it is.  Sorry you have to endure it.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

This is my generation....minus 5 years or so. Real Housewives are the mentality of many women, no matter what age.  We are what are.  Some change and grow, some have their 22-year old personality in a 60-something body.  It’s astonishing but there it is.  Sorry you have to endure it.

Thankfully I don't for much longer. I've worked with this woman for about two years but she recently transferred. She's been back here helping us in a staffing crisis but her last day here is tomorrow. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for that because I'm close to the point of homicide, as are my coworkers. Just needed to vent a bit because I can only repeat my angry ramblings to my husband and mother so many times before they're going to be ready to kill ME, and after two years with Cray Cray, there've been a lot of angry ramblings.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

HA! Since birth.

This is so true. I will sheepishly admit that I watch Beverly Hills. Not proud. Can't help it, I love all things BH/Bel Air/Hollywood. It's eye candy. I could watch it with the sound down though. I just want to see the pretties. Closets, homes, clothes, jewels, makeup. I can't do the other ones anymore, they're repulsive. ESPECIALLY the OC. It's just so incredibly negative.

BYE FELICIA!!

I just laughed raucously at this because we say "bye Felicia" here all the time. Said woman I've been discussing, let's call her Debra, always asks why we call each other Felicia. None of us have ever liked her enough to explain.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

GOD. I worked with someone just like that. Would always lurk around asking why people were laughing, but she got offended at everything people said and reported them so of course, we stopped telling her what was so funny. It's like, STOP trying to impress people. We're all just trying to make the best of it here, we don't need some mental patient trying to stir the pot. Life is hard enough without people like that.

Working with this chick, it occurred to me that these people exist and they walk the earth in search of someone who will pay attention to them. I found that the very best thing to do is to ignore the living shit outta her, just for my own mental health and happiness. An entertaining by-product of my refusing to acknowledge her insane behaviors was that it drove her crazier than she already was, and it was moderately amusing to watch her squirm in an attempt to grab ANY attention by trying to bait people. NO time whatsoever for hot messes, I am so glad that toxic slag will be making an exit from your world.

This honestly sounds just like Linda. I mean...Debra. Yeah. Thank you for this because it got me laughing and renewed my will to ignore the fuck out of her until she's gone for good.

• Love 2

Ugh I love poshmark but their fees have gotten ridic. I decided to try and do the wholesale boutique for one outfit and no one is buying it so now I have a box of dresses in my trunk.

2 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I was thinking of selling some stuff on poshmark. I have so much stuff to get rid of.

It's better than selling them to a plato's closet type of place. I got ripped off getting rid of my VS Pink stuff. I wanted to dress more mature (other than my Taylor Swift sweatshirts cause those are never going away).