Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The Big Chili

• Start Topic

It’s time to get cookin’! The Bates family is reunited once again to perform at an event very dear to their hearts, the annual Volunteer Fire Department Chili Fundraiser. As they wait for the married couples to arrive, Trace decides to get serious about his trick riding and enlists the help of Gil and Jackson to build a ring to practice in. Later at the big event, the family gets nervous about their upcoming performance. Without much time to practice, will they come up flat or be able to pull it together in time to hit a high note?

I won't be able to watch the show until this weekend, but wanted to get the topic up.

Wonder if Addallee's hearing difficulties are also associated with this incident.  

Also wonder when Lawson is going to snap and take out his family members for not practicing before a performance.  

Kind of love that Michael apparently learned all about alterations all on her own and didn't bother to share any info about them with the next in line before she left home.   But seriously, that was a good tip.  I had no idea.   But then I don't have little kids with elastic waist things, maybe I would if I did.  

I like that they put a spot light on volunteer fire departments because they are awesome.  But I feel bad for the actual volunteer fire department having to sit through that song and Gil's story every single year.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I kind of love that Michaela snaps back into action when she visits.  I know that it's wrong of them to be so dependent on her but she's wonderful for being so willing to help out.  At least these clowns acknowledge that they are truly lost without her.  I laughed at the little girl who told Brandon that she would just send the skirt to Michaela in the mail before she fixed it herself.  

I'm starting a pool for when Lawson loses his mind and goes off on all of these fools.  It's going to be glorious.  

Loved the girls snarking on Gil and Kelly for being stuck in tradition and picking the same old song every time out.  They seem so normal sometimes.

For every one of their faults, I always come back to how much the parents seem to love and care for their kids.  Not just the littlest one or the special one or the one who drank the most kool-aid and recites the best Bible verses.  I kind of teared up when Gil was at a loss for words when he was talking about Addallee.  

It looks like Chad is going to be lifting things next week.  I'll just go into the prayer closet now and apologize in advance for coveting my neighbor's husband...

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Wonder if Addallee's hearing difficulties are also associated with this incident.  

I never thought of that, but it seems likely. Kudos to the volunteer fire dept for saving her life. Of course, the whole thing could've been avoided had Kelly received proper prenatal care but you won't hear them say THAT on the show.

Did I hear Kelly say it was a week before Gil named Addallee? Wonder if he named all the kids or just her. It's so strange to me that a man would  choose the name without his wife's input, kind of like how Ben named Spurgeon. Is that common in their culture?

As they wait for the married couples to arrive, Trace decides to get serious about his trick riding and enlists the help of Gil and Jackson to build a ring to practice in. 

So, I guess they edited the episode and replaced the above with the segment on Trace and John trying to throw the football through the fort/clubhouse's window...?

On 7/8/2016 at 1:15 AM, PlygPigs said:

I never thought of that, but it seems likely. Kudos to the volunteer fire dept for saving her life. Of course, the whole thing could've been avoided had Kelly received proper prenatal care but you won't hear them say THAT on the show.

Did I hear Kelly say it was a week before Gil named Addallee? Wonder if he named all the kids or just her. It's so strange to me that a man would  choose the name without his wife's input, kind of like how Ben named Spurgeon. Is that common in their culture?

GBS testing is standard but as always you can opt out of a medical procedure. So whether she was seeing a midwife or an OB it's not necessarily the care provider's fault that it went untreated in labor.

Is GBS the same as Strep B? I had Strep B with my middle child and antibiotics were required during delivery. I also had to stay 12 hours longer in the hospital for monitoring than with my first child. I also thought Kelly and Gil were more into hospital deliveries than the Duggars but maybe that was after the scare with Addallee?

• Love 1

Yes, I think after Addee, all of Kelly's deliveries were in the hospital. Oh wait, there was one where she had to be lifeflighted into UT. That could have been the one after Addee? I don't think they've ever really spelled out how many homebirths Kelly has had; Michelle had all hospital births except for Jinger and Joe. 

Loved the girls snarking on Gil and Kelly for being stuck in tradition and picking the same old song every time out.  They seem so normal sometimes.

I liked this too. I also, liked Gil and Kelly knowing they pick the same song every year, because they wait until the last minute. Another thing I enjoyed was Kelly teasing Gil about his fashion sense during one of the couch segments and Gil made fun of himself. The girls were mocking Gil's jeans when they were helping Lawson figure out what to wear.

For every one of their faults, I always come back to how much the parents seem to love and care for their kids.  Not just the littlest one or the special one or the one who drank the most kool-aid and recites the best Bible verses.  I kind of teared up when Gil was at a loss for words when he was talking about Addallee.  

This. I do not share their beliefs, but the parents love their kids and actually parent them. The siblings interact like typical siblings and not buddies parenting their certain groups of kids. I think the Trace/Jeb relationship is all kinds of adorable. I love watching Kelly's genuine enthusiasm for her grandkids and how Jeb usually sticks to Gil like glue.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

Is GBS the same as Strep B? I had Strep B with my middle child and antibiotics were required during delivery. I also had to stay 12 hours longer in the hospital for monitoring than with my first child. I also thought Kelly and Gil were more into hospital deliveries than the Duggars but maybe that was after the scare with Addallee?

Yes, it's Group B Strep. Common but treatable and that's why it's usually tested for around I believe 36 wks 

I thought it was funny when Carlin described Josie's style as "boho weird." Josie does have cool style sense.

Addee is totally Michaela's mini-me. Loved Gil breaking up as he talked about her. These people don't take any of their kids for granted.

• Love 2

She went into cardiac arrest after birth. It took 8 minutes for the VFD to arrive and revive her. Gil said he performed CPR, but it's really tough to do on infants, and since their story is "8 minutes," I'm assuming he wasn't successful. 

That is why she has all the double letters in her name: she was given a second chance. They also said it took a week to name her (and correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Gil who came up with it).

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

She went into cardiac arrest after birth. It took 8 minutes for the VFD to arrive and revive her. Gil said he performed CPR, but it's really tough to do on infants, and since their story is "8 minutes," I'm assuming he wasn't successful. 

That is why she has all the double letters in her name: she was given a second chance. They also said it took a week to name her (and correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Gil who came up with it).

Your right it was Gil who came up with her name.