Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Baby Talk

Brenda, Brenda, sweetie. Run. You can get an annulment. And then finish school and get your master's in Social Work.  But first you gotta run
(Also why in the world was Emma's manchild!groom so fricking eager to have kids immediately? Even the Mormons weren't that eager.)

• Love 3

Travis, you look like you smell like a trashcan. Get an annulment, this won't work.

@PupCal, I don't know why. I went to high school with those kind of lot. I swear they were all pregnant within a year of graduating.

• Love 2

This show is reinforcing the idea that it's not wise to get married so young. Emma and Joey didn't even have any conversations about kids or adoption before they got married? They should know each other's view on this.

Have they mentioned what Halie and George do? I guess George may still be in college, but what is Halie doing in Utah? College? Job? Counting down the days until she can pee on a stick?

Brenda is so adorable I just want to eat her up with a spoon. If they aren't pregnant, they really need to hash this out - they said they weren't planning on having kids for 10 years so no doubt there will be another scare or two.

• Love 1

If Brenda and Trash-is don't want to have kids for 10 years and she's already forgetting to take her pill, then they need to explore other options. IUDs, implants, the shot. There's more than just the pill! Or if you've ruled out the other options and have opted for oral contraceptives, at least put a reminder in your phone. Gah!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ExplainItAgain said:

This show is reinforcing the idea that it's not wise to get married so young. Emma and Joey didn't even have any conversations about kids or adoption before they got married? They should know each other's view on this.

Have they mentioned what Halie and George do? I guess George may still be in college, but what is Halie doing in Utah? College? Job? Counting down the days until she can pee on a stick?

Brenda is so adorable I just want to eat her up with a spoon. If they aren't pregnant, they really need to hash this out - they said they weren't planning on having kids for 10 years so no doubt there will be another scare or two.

I'm with you on Brenda, I find her utterly adorable and I admire her ambition a lot. Travis is a grubby little man child and I cannot figure out what she sees in him.

I'm kinda loving Joey now. (I know!) Emma is such a joyless slag and he's like a happy little puppy. I can see him rolling around on the floor, playing with the kids, while Emma sits in the kitchen, smoking a Newport and seething with resentment. To Joey, life is simple. Work at the feed and grain store, get married, have a bunch of kids, retire and sit on your porch, probably playing with the grandkids. Emma seems intent on sucking all the happiness right out of him. Run Joey, run!

• Love 5

Sorry, I'm still stuck on the trampoline in the ground.  Blah blah blah, self-righteous fake blonde harpy with happy puppy guy, blah blah blah, going to be a lot of pregnancy scares along the way Brenda, blah blah blah, very active 4 year old --- WAIT -- HOLD UP -- That trampoline is even with ground level! That means they dug a hole to put the trampoline on! That's not going to end well. It's not. But, WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?? they have more people to dig unnecessary holes than they do cash to get the safety net? WHY???

• Love 1
(edited)

Emma and Joey: It sounded to me like the broker— based on her expertise— told them what product was best for them. Emma walked into that meeting reeking with attitude. Emma has a weird affect to me. She seems to be dead in the eyes and lectures Joey like she’s his mother or something. She’s like a robot. I really don’t like her at all. If they have a kid, she will flip out because he won’t lift a finger to help her. He’ll be too busy making himself four breakfast sandwiches.

The whole “we want a house full of kids” followed by the timely request to watch a rambunctious kid overnight seemed contrived as did the whole “I put so much into school because it’s so important to me but I forgot to take my birth control pill and now I'm two days late...” thing. Blah. 

Edited by configdotsys
  • Love 2

Brenda's birth control was not in the place where she'd be taking the pills she would take during her period, so not really sure how her period can be late already. She looked like she was just in the 3rd week of pills and you don't have a period until the 4th. Seems like they've been working up to this "storyline" since they spoke of the difference in their politics but all the discussed really was their differences on the abortion issue. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, valdawn said:

Brenda's birth control was not in the place where she'd be taking the pills she would take during her period, so not really sure how her period can be late already. She looked like she was just in the 3rd week of pills and you don't have a period until the 4th. Seems like they've been working up to this "storyline" since they spoke of the difference in their politics but all the discussed really was their differences on the abortion issue. 

I wonder if this is her first or second pack of pills ever and she is just inexperienced with them? She mentioned losing her virginity as a teen, but she made it sound like she never had sex again after that until her wedding night. 

Of course, if you have a pregnancy scare 3 weeks after your husband loses his virgity and you want to finish college, you need a method of BC you won't forget to take!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Emma and Joey: It sounded to me like the broker— based on her expertise— told them what product was best for them. Emma walked into that meeting reeking with attitude. Emma has a weird affect to me. She seems to be dead in the eyes and lectures Joey like she’s his mother or something.

right? For a young girl who just got married, too. You'd think she'd have at least moments of joyfulness, but  she's constantly looking for things to get mad about. If you have a question for the broker, ask it! Don't just stick out your bottom lip, flounce out of the office, and spit out curt answers for the rest of the day. She's never going to be satisfied. Poor Joey. 

• Love 2

Why would Emma have marrid Joey in the first place?  probably because they grew up in a small town and the choices were not that great.  SHe needs to be going to school, having fun...and Joey should never, never be married at this stage.  Yes, he is a lovable puppy...but not a husband.  Emma has ambitions. Joey does not.  She needs to get out of that little town.  There will be nothing there for her but tedium.

• Love 1

I'm watching this episode right now and just heard something SO DUMB that I got out of my perfect comfy spot in bed to mention it here. Joey's friend who is 21, newly married, and newly pregnant:

"At 18 you're technically considered an adult, so I think you should be ready to be a parent"

Honorable mention to his explanation for marrying so young: "My family all married young, and I'm lonely, I like companionship"

• Love 2
On July 2, 2016 at 3:29 AM, SeenYouWitKieffah said:

I'm watching this episode right now and just heard something SO DUMB that I got out of my perfect comfy spot in bed to mention it here. Joey's friend who is 21, newly married, and newly pregnant:

"At 18 you're technically considered an adult, so I think you should be ready to be a parent"

Honorable mention to his explanation for marrying so young: "My family all married young, and I'm lonely, I like companionship"

I am pretty sure that gentleman's reason for getting married young was to give himself cover for being gay in a tiny town.

• Love 2