Type keyword(s) to search

How Will A Move To CMT Alter Season 5 Of Nashville?

On 6/10/2016 at 11:11 AM, dcalley said:

I don't get CMT, either, and I only have a free hulu account, so I am not sure I'll be able to watch.

And now I know I won't be able to, as hulu is getting rid of its free option.

Did not realize CMT picked it up and I'm happy as a clam.  I didn't realize I'd miss it but I do.  I just watched one of my favorites - If I Drink this Beer- and came here for some nostalgia. 

Something occurred to me. I don't know of any other show who had two male leads in their 40s, who look in their 40s.  Luke and Deacon are ruggedly handsome and real.  So many men in Hollywood are going the Botox and fillers route, but not these guys.  And not Connie Britton.  I'm in the same age bracket and I appreciate normal looking people. 

• Love 5

I read some article, interview where Callie Khouri said the move to CMT would allow them to focus on more drama around the struggles of being an artist the music industry's X less on the soapy stuff. If I am remembering correctly, she mentioned that there would be network pressure to put in more soapy elements. I am hopeful that this is true. Marshall and Herskowics ( I think those are their names) did three very good shows in the past and hopefully they'll focus on the emotional dynamics of the characters in more authentic situations than Nashville increasingly did, especially in season 4.

In seasons 3-4, the soapy plot elements overtook the emotional storytelling for many of the characters. They moved supporting characters into main characters and spread the show out thin. I hope so.  

I really love the music on the show and how it's naturally integrated into the storytelling. I like that it's about country music and it's respectful of the culture. It seemed like it had a different cultural perspective.  I feel like the quality of the show started high. I enjoyed that its initial focus was on two strong and complicated female characters and their relationship within the country music industry. I liked how the show depicted Scarlett, Gunnar, Avery,and Will as young artists with struggles in their personal lives. Of these four characters, Will's story arc was the only one that, despite some soapy elements, seemed to be develop along the four seasons and be fully realized, maintaining the original dramatic balance/or tone. With the other three, mostly in the third season, the dramatic emphasis of their individual storylines shifted so that it seemed they were characters with dysfunctional romantic lives who also happened to be country singers and songwriters in a soap opera set in Nashville. I still watched but it was disappointing.

• Love 4

Sorry - my touchscreen does all these weird edits - deletions, word substitutions, etc, so some of what I wrote maybe doesn't make sense. Anyways, what I hoped to convey is that it is hopeful that, with the changes in the producers and move to CMT, Nashville will return to the show that it started as and drew me in at the beginning.

• Love 2

Per Wikipedia Will Chase is out.  Don't know what to think about that.  He really grew on me.     

If Connie Britton leaves after this season, I hope they find a way for the Stella sisters to stay.  Since there's no way Rayna would move away and leave her girls, I guess that would mean a Rayna death and Deacon becoming Mr. Mom. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

That surprises me.  I thought that Connie - a woman of a certain age and single mother to a young child - would be a sure thing.  It was Hayden that I worried about. 

Ryan Murphy is already pretty much a sure thing for her. 

I think CB was phoning it in the last half of season 4 too. Maybe the writing was a factor though. Fighting with Deacon for the umpteenth time in a row and enduring the most unrealistic emancipation trial/issues ever would make me wary of the next season as well. 

• Love 1
On 8/25/2016 at 1:03 AM, Irlandesa said:

Ryan Murphy is already pretty much a sure thing for her. 

Are we sure about that? Her season of American Story was like 5 years ago. Has she done any other Ryan Murphy work since then? She didn't seem to become a darling for him like Jessica Lange or Lea Michelle or Kathy Bates.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Are we sure about that? Her season of American Story was like 5 years ago. Has she done any other Ryan Murphy work since then? She didn't seem to become a darling for him like Jessica Lange or Lea Michelle or Kathy Bates.

She was in his People v. OJ.  The only reason I think she hasn't done more is her Nashville schedule. 

I love Rayna, but if CB wants to do other things I totally understand. I just hope they don't kill her off. Having her alive but not in focus is how the show should go. A dead Rayna would not be good for anyone. I can see them milking a few good storylines, but then what?? Having CB alive to come in for a guest arc here and there is probably better for the show & the fans. I can see a lot of people not giving the new version of the show a chance, if the first thing the writers do is kill off Rayna.

• Love 1

I don't want them to kill off Rayna for no other reason than we will end up getting another "Maddie & her teenage angst" plot, & I am OVER Maddie & her angst.

• Love 2

Well, it seems that at my Xfinity level I should be getting CMT.  So I called customer service.  Sigh.  I was told that CMT is only available on the east coast.  Yep, don't argue with them because they know everything.  So all you east coast folks enjoy yourselves. 

That's weird because I live in Chicago and I get CMT.  That east coast thing can't be right.

Well, don't tell the little man on the phone that cuz he's 'looking right at it'. 

On 11/2/2016 at 0:52 PM, QuinnM said:

Well, it seems that at my Xfinity level I should be getting CMT.  So I called customer service.  Sigh.  I was told that CMT is only available on the east coast.  Yep, don't argue with them because they know everything.  So all you east coast folks enjoy yourselves. 

I live in California & I get CMT. I think you just might have gotten an idiot, call back.

• Love 1

I live in California & I get CMT. I think you just might have gotten an idiot, call back.

It is no longer part of the Digital Preferred.  It is now a sports entertainment package that is mostly sports.  So I'm going to be viewing using alternate methods.  I'm not paying $10 a month for one show.  So this is probably the last season since without a larger distribution it's unlikely to get renewed.

3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

It is no longer part of the Digital Preferred.  It is now a sports entertainment package that is mostly sports.  So I'm going to be viewing using alternate methods.  I'm not paying $10 a month for one show.  So this is probably the last season since without a larger distribution it's unlikely to get renewed.

Really? Why would they put it as part of a sports package, that's ridiculous. CMT seems to be showing other shows on it's web site, maybe you can watch it online here?

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 3:11 PM, QuinnM said:

My best friend lives in Houston and she said the same thing.  She doesn't want to spend $10 just to watch Nashville.  It doesn't seem like it makes sense to bundle them with sports channels, but one never knows.  Actually sports packages are typically quite popular (I used to work in the cable industry and they can command some of the highest prices.  They also have the largest distribution, i.e. number of customers who subscribe.), so CMT could end up with a wider audience, not the smaller one you seem to think.  It stands a much better chance of being seen in households that want sports (which is many).

I'm just glad I live in Nashville and have it on my uVerse package.

Edited by piratewench
add clarity

I am very intrigued by Avery looking at some of his old stuff when he used to write and perform music. I hope that he will get back to that. I also hope to see Rayna and Deacon get back to what made them so great in the first place. We never got to see what would happen if Rayna released that album she did with Liam. I love that CMT  is taking the show back to being about the music. 

I love Nashville!!!

P.S. I must also add that it would be totally awesome if JT came back to Nashville in season 5 to play with Avery. They were friends back to childhood and that would be really good for his character to make up with him and continue to do what they loved doing.

Edited by KellyDawn

WHERE IS GLENN????

He would not be missing Juliette's recovery.  They need to explain. He wasn't on the plane, right?? They'd have to talk about that. I NEED TO KNOW.

ETA: Um, apparently he was there and I just didn't see him??  Why is not more prominent?

Edited by WasntMe