Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Hyena

Jennifer Goines takes her power into her own hands in the year 2016 when she forms the Hyenas, a band of crazy compatriots, to take on the 12 Monkeys. With the help of Cole, an elaborate plot is uncovered to reacquire the virus.

Promo:

• Love 2

I missed the first few minutes. Is that when they played Old McDonald? It wasn't in the rest of the ep.

I thought the answer man was interesting. Or whatever he was called. I wouldn't mind seeing him again or learning more about him.

So are the Tall/Pallid man and what's her face, I forget her name it's been so long, the red forest lady brother and sister or are they just saying "father" the way Jennifer is called "mother?"

Christopher Heyerdahl in the house!  Should have known he would show up at some point, since he another one of those genre/Canada-based show favorites.  I liked the idea of "The Keeper" and someone who made it his mission to save as much information as possible, as oppose to the more ordinary stuff that most would go to, if the world suddenly went to hell.  Plus, his little questioning was awesome since it pretty much reveals the unsurprising truth that the reason Cassie and Ramse really can't stand each other, is because both want to be number one in Cole's heart.  Oh, you two!  There is room enough for both of you!

Meanwhile, Cole is back in 2016, teaming up with Jennifer to try and get to the Pallid Man.  And, of course, Jennifer would apparently decide to not only form a gang, but a gang made up of other women from insane asylums, because really, why wouldn't you do that?!  Not surprised that they ended up being even too much for Jennifer.  I figured something was going to go down with Vanessa especially, since they got Eve Harlow (Taylor form Heroes: Reborn, Maya from The 100) to play her, and she wasn't just some random actress.

But I knew the fun and games wouldn't last.  Thought it was way too easy that they could bug the Pallid Man like that, so I figured it was heading towards him knowing and playing them.  Looks like Cole's revenge will have to wait.  Felt bad for Jennifer for losing all of her Hyenas.  Emily Hampshire is so great in this.

Fun seeing Peters again, before he got blown up to smithereens.  And it looks like Elliot/Jones' ex-husband/Peter Outerbridge is going to rear his ugly head again, by throwing in with the Pallid Man.  I'm curious about Olivia now.  She clearly lost a lot of power now, but I wonder how much abuse she will take form the Pallid Man, before she has enough.

I guess Jones and Hannah aren't going to automatically be the perfect mother/daughter relationship, but hey, progress!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Hey, isn't that goth girl from gossip girl?

It looked a lot like Jessia Szohr (who played Vanessa on Gossip Girl) but it was actually Eve Harlow (who played Maya on The 100), so I found it hilarious that her character's name on 12 Monkeys was Vanessa (and she also appeared in a movie called The Tall Man!).

I totally love that Cassie and Ramse had to admit to each other that they mutual dislike is actually jealousy because they each think that Cole loves the other one more. I was annoyed with their impatience at the beginning of the episode though. Like seriously, you guys. Cole is trying to save the world and you two are obsessed with revenge. Revenge won't matter if time collapses so maybe try to understand why Cole is more concerned with saving the whole world than your need for vengeance!

Awww, I liked Oliver Peters. Even though he should have run, I can appreciate that he was trying to create a vaccine for the virus that he created. It's not like he refused to hide out of spite. He was trying to right the wrong that he created. Too bad he got blown up.

Jennifer had some interesting growth in this episode. For the first half of the episode, she was so happy and full of purpose but you could see the conflict in her loyalties when one of her Hyena family members pointed a gun at Cole. I was afraid she was going to lose it when she started getting all twitchy again. Hee, I loved their fake fight so they could distract the girl who was guarding them. Hilarious that she said, "I told you, they're like family!" just as she grabbed the gun and hit her in the head with it. I thought it was sweet that Cole tried to apologize for the things he said during their faux argument. But at the end, she was so guilt ridden about the deaths of her Hyenas and all the innocent people who died at the hospital. Terrible timing that Cole had to splinter before he was able to make Jennifer feel better. Loved when Jennifer bit him in 2044. You'd think that Cole would be a little nicer/tolerant/more patient when dealing with Jennifer since she has information that he wants.

Cole tapped into his S1 self. He was punching the Pallid Man so much that I was sure he was going to hurt his hand, which is why I cracked up when he finally did hurt his hand. Now my question is whether the information he gave them was true or not. I mean, he really had no motivation to tell them them the truth so he could have made up anything and told them a random year and place just to send them on a wild goose chase.

I liked the Keeper. His devotion to information and truth was interesting. But since he was playing the same Chopin nocturne in 2044 as the one we kept hearing when the Pallid Man was around (in the opening scene, talking to Olivia), are they somehow related? I noticed that the Keeper was playing a different version of the song (when the Pallid Man was around, it was a piano only version). In a S1 episode, didn't Cole mention to Cassie that they didn't have music in the future? I wonder where the Keeper got his music.

As much as I dislike Olivia, I thought how weak it would be if she survived the attack that put her in a wheelchair only to be suffocated by the Pallid Man.

Elliot seems like a nutjob, so I'm sure he is going to cause lots of problems by teaming up with the Pallid Man.

• Love 2

For a time travel show I love the continuity.  Like the fact that Cole wants to save the future but Cassie and Ramse ate obsessed with revenge.  That obsession doesn't go away because it's go time.  

I didn't particularly care for Jennifer during season one,. I found her annoying but she has grown on me.  I enjoy her brand of crazy and felt sorry for her when her Hyenas turned on her and then got blowed up.  Jennifet can't have nice things can she?

I like that Jobes and her daughter haven't formed an automatic bond.  That would be too easy.  The daughter was raised by Jennifer after all and during the appocolpse.  There was bound to be a little awkwardness.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In a S1 episode, didn't Cole mention to Cassie that they didn't have music in the future? I wonder where the Keeper got his music.

I think that was before the new timeline, though. Right? I feel like Jones actually turned on the radio to show Cole how the world had changed when fewer people died. 

(edited)

Totally agree that Ramse and Cassie needed to cool their jets before Cole left. And Cassie is back to being mean. That jab about Cole's getting revenge for his father's death was pretty spiteful. I've never felt like Cole had this burning desire for revenge for that death. Not that it didn't matter to him - obviously it did - but revenge doesn't ever seem to have been a motivation for him. (Actually, back to Atari, when Cole thought Ramse had been killed, he wanted to go after the West 7, but Jones convinced him pretty quickly that he needed to get away instead.) For the most part Cole seems to be able to keep his eye on the prize and let the big picture goal of SAVING THE WORLD be his motivator. Cassie and Ramse definitely can't.

Interesting that Cassie knew the correct answer immediately when called on the lie about why she hated Ramse. It makes all her self-righteousness about Ramse's trying to save his son a little hypocritical, I think. I also noticed that she hesitated a little before she said "for one." Like she was thinking about saying "his son," but couldn't bring herself to given her own role in Sam's disappearance.  

When Cole disappeared out of the hotel room I felt so sorry for Jennifer, constantly left alone in her time, and sad for how lonely she must feel, especially after all her people had been killed. But then Cole showed up at her door again. It made me smile. 

Edited by bethy
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, bethy said:

I think that was before the new timeline, though. Right? I feel like Jones actually turned on the radio to show Cole how the world had changed when fewer people died. 

She did play music for him in the 3rd(?) episode of the season. Speaking of the new timeline, I'm thinking Titan might be a product of changing the past as well. Katarina mentioned her husband (and father, and eventually Hannah) dying of the plague originally. If Jennifer had released the virus on schedule then male Jones may have been sick or dying at this point. Pushing the virus back gives him time to be alive and well, approached by Tall Man, and two years to build another time machine a.k.a Project Titan.

Edited by Jaded Sapphire
  • Love 1

Sad to see the Hyenas turn on Jennifer but it was clear they would not be around for long as they were no daughters. Still I appreciated the A-Team joke.

I hope we get to see the Keeper again. Terrific character and the scene with Cassie and Ramse having to face the truth about their relationship was great. I wonder if they will heed his warning - of course they won't but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I also loved the scene between Hannah and Jones and that Jones never flinched when Hanna talked about 'mother'. Hannah seems surprisingly stable for someone raised during the apocalypse by Jennifer Goines.

Also it's painful to see how distant Cole and Cassie have become the show really makes up for that by giving us so many Cole and Jennifer scenes. Their dynamic has truly become the heart of the show for me.

(I did miss Deacon.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Sad to see the Hyenas turn on Jennifer but it was clear they would not be around for long as they were no daughters. Still I appreciated the A-Team joke.

I hope we get to see the Keeper again. Terrific character and the scene with Cassie and Ramse having to face the truth about their relationship was great. I wonder if they will heed his warning - of course they won't but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I also loved the scene between Hannah and Jones and that Jones never flinched when Hanna talked about 'mother'. Hannah seems surprisingly stable for someone raised during the apocalypse by Jennifer Goines.

Also it's painful to see how distant Cole and Cassie have become the show really makes up for that by giving us so many Cole and Jennifer scenes. Their dynamic has truly become the heart of the show for me.

(I did miss Deacon.)

Cassie has really become unlikable for me so the less time Cole spend with her the better. I enjoy his scenes with both Jennifer and Ramse more. At least the affection isn't one sided. And it's kind of a lame ass excuse of why Cassie has been cold to Cole. Because she's jealous that he chose Ramse over her? That's no reason to be an ass to him. Ramse said he felt the same but he was never mean to Cole.

Cole and Jennifer have such a sweet familiar relationship and I love it.

• Love 3
On 6/14/2016 at 2:14 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Plus, his little questioning was awesome since it pretty much reveals the unsurprising truth that the reason Cassie and Ramse really can't stand each other, is because both want to be number one in Cole's heart.  Oh, you two!  There is room enough for both of you!

And not just that they want to be No. 1, but they don't want Cole to help the other one at all.  In both instances, if Cole had chosen differently, the other one would be dead.  And I don't quite get why Cassie is so hell bent against the Witnesses.  Is it just guilt over allowing Sam to disappear?  

And I guess Cole's mission was a huge waste.  He didn't save anyone, and for all we know the Tall Man fed him a bunch of bull shit.

(edited)

It's interesting that Pallid Man had the Witness' time map scanned and being analyzed. Looked like maybe he's trying to figure out what's on the missing section? Curious why it's gone, and why the Witness didn't choose to tell him that missing info.

Question: Do we know if Jennifer can somehow sense the Witness? When Cole disappeared and then immediately reappeared at her door, I wondered if it was possibly the Witness incognito again.

Glad to see them back in the hotel room - IIRC, we haven't gotten an explanation for one of the room's artifacts yet: the microscope in the bedroom. I'm hoping we'll get more of Cassie using her medical knowledge eventually, somewhere in time.

Keeper scenes were good, and I'll like them even more if Cassie and Ramse actually heed his warning and work their shit out. Couple of amusing bits: the old printer, and the light ping from the lie detector - Cassie and Ramse confess something awful, and there's an upbeat response from the machine.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In a S1 episode, didn't Cole mention to Cassie that they didn't have music in the future? I wonder where the Keeper got his music.

Probably from Amazon.com, literally. It's one of the headquarters he said he walked right into after things got bad. He probably took their entire catalog of music along with all their ebooks. Would be cool if he was the one broadcasting music in the earlier episode, though he seems more like a hoarder than a giver.

6 hours ago, Hanahope said:

And I don't quite get why Cassie is so hell bent against the Witnesses.  Is it just guilt over allowing Sam to disappear?  

I think it's a combo of Sam's disappearance and possible (but probably not) death, Aaron's death, and being thrown into the red forest and the Witness' head. And mostly (in my opinion), she's a mess because she's in the future. Before she was using her skills to fight the plague and working with Cole to save the world, and helped him on a personal level; now, she's in a time and place she didn't want to be, she was separated from the only familiar face for months, and her contribution now involves missions that often include shooting people. Last week in the time loop, she referred to saving the world as Cole's purpose, and shrugged off life in 2015 because she would've only had a few years left. Cassie is lost, and while I don't think she has a death wish like Ramse said, I don't think she really cares about avoiding death either.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:16 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Now my question is whether the information he gave them was true or not. I mean, he really had no motivation to tell them them the truth so he could have made up anything and told them a random year and place just to send them on a wild goose chase.

He pointed them directly to the '70s serial killer Primary too, when they were still trying to narrow it down. I'm on the fence: is he manipulating them for his own benefit, or is he so sold on the 12 Monkeys' "inevitable" success that he can afford to taunt the good guys by stringing them along? I had been thinking it was part of the Witness' big picture, but now I'm betting on hubris. We're seeing this with Olivia too: he thinks he has the upper hand with her and is treating her badly, but I suspect she'll be striking back very soon.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, Chaos Theory said:

For a time travel show I love the continuity.  

One of the best things about this show is the writers/showrunners, who seem to have a very clear idea of the story they want to tell and where all the pieces of the puzzle go because of that. Even though 99% of my theories are probably wrong, it's still fun trying to pick up small details and compare info to previous episodes because I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. Nothing about this show seems careless, and I love it.

Edited by coppersin
  • Love 6
On 6/14/2016 at 11:22 AM, bethy said:

But then Cole showed up at her door again. It made me smile. 

But he looked in bad shape in that brief scene. I'm wondering when we'll return to that. Next week?

Best line of the episode: "It's like the A-Team with all Murdocks."

And good to know Hudson University (or this time Hudson University Hospital) is still cursed by calamity.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm slowly catching up to this season.

Overall, I'm not sure I'm happy with the direction of the show. This whole magical mystery tour is really not something I was hoping for and I never had the impression that this is what it set out to be. Or maybe I just forgot in all that time between seasons.

And I wish they would stop talking about time as if it is a person. I takes me out of the scene every time and I have to go roll my eyeballs back into the proper position to keep watching.

I don't understand what Cole sees in Cassie. I find her irritating to say the least. He has tons more chemistry with Jennifer and Ramse. I don't know if it's the actress or the character but I just don't buy her anger. It feels so cliche somehow. The eye-liner, the leather jacket, the posture, it's all so..been there...seen it but I don't feel it.

I don't like that they couldn't manage making me feel for him and his calamity with his son. I still don't really care. Although Sam might become more of a character instead of something Ramse can angst over.

Love Jones, she seems almost chipper. Not a lot of fallout from Eckland's death, I see.

Not sure about Hannah. Yet. More of an enigma with a bit of brainwashing, it seems. Let's hope Jennifer chose well.

ETA: Oh goody. Woman with monotone is back.

We're seeing this with Olivia too: he thinks he has the upper hand with her and is treating her badly, but I suspect she'll be striking back very soon.

I'd rather have the bad guys be smart instead of arrogant only because the writers are writing themselves into a corner where it seems impossible that the good guys win. So, I'm hoping for manipulation.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1